Eating well

GhostGirl

baby spinach is teh yum! not sure i'll try drinking it, but it, yeah, it makes me feel great! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i drain and rinse ground beef too...when i cook. laugh.gif

George Foreman grill rox!!! cheer.gif

i've heard stevia is the best natural sweetener, and somebody gave me a coupla packets of "Sweetleaf" biggrin.gif . but i don't like a lot of sweet, so i haven't actually tried it yet. confused13.gif Wiki it yes.gif

one of my biggest headtrips about eating healthier has been the cost.

that is not to say its too expensive. no.gif quite the opposite, actually.

i used to avoid the produce section because every time i bought fruit or vegetables, they would get over ripe before anyone in my house would eat them. so i'm learning to buy less and shop more often (kind of a PITA, but worth it) and i'm learning not to feel so bad about having to throw away a couple of brown bananas. how much does a banana cost really? a quarter? i mean it sux to waste anything at all, but it's bound to happen with the kind of schedule i keep. and maybe its not so bad. i mean, i wouldn't mind spending $50 a month on a gym membership, why should i worry so much about the second half of a head of lettuce? wacko.gif

so yeah, i made a new rule for myself that cost is no issue when it comes to eating healthier. spare no expense! 1287.gif

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 27 2010, 11:25 PM)
baby spinach is teh yum!  not sure i'll try drinking it, but it, yeah, it makes me feel great! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i drain and rinse ground beef too...when i cook.  laugh.gif
George Foreman grill rox!!!  cheer.gif

i've heard stevia is the best natural sweetener, and somebody gave me a coupla packets of "Sweetleaf"  biggrin.gif .  but i don't like a lot of sweet, so i haven't actually tried it yet.  confused13.gif  Wiki it yes.gif

that is not to say its too expensive.  no.gif  quite the opposite, actually.

i used to avoid the produce section because every time i bought fruit or vegetables, they would get over ripe before anyone in my house would eat them.  so i'm learning to buy less and shop more often (kind of a PITA, but worth it)  and i'm learning not to feel so bad about having to throw away a couple of brown bananas.  how much does a banana cost really?  a quarter?  i mean it sux to waste anything at all, but it's bound to happen with the kind of schedule i keep.  and maybe its not so bad.  i mean, i wouldn't mind spending $50 a month on a gym membership, why should i worry so much about the second half of a head of lettuce?  wacko.gif

so yeah, i made a new rule for myself that cost is no issue when it comes to eating healthier.  spare no expense!  1287.gif

George Foreman grill rox, couldn't agree with this statement anymore! Burgers and steaks go great on George when you don't feel like firing up the grill for one or two burgers or steaks, and/or the weather doesn't allow. Brown ground beef, scoop it into a colander and rinse with warm water. Why waste money on lean ground beef? What's lean ground beef, made from skinny cows? Brown Bananas? Find a good recipe for Banana bread.

I bought a Foreman Grill a few weeks ago. Definitely awesome. Always cooking my chicken on it as well as my turkey burgers.

I cannot recall the last time I had any red meat. Not since I was diagnosed anyways. I can have it; just never comes to my mind to eating it.

And yes Bonzie spinach is good! Always eating spinach in my salad. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 28 2010, 02:25 AM)

i've heard stevia is the best natural sweetener, and somebody gave me a coupla packets of "Sweetleaf" biggrin.gif . but i don't like a lot of sweet, so i haven't actually tried it yet. confused13.gif Wiki it yes.gif

I've been told that Splenda was best sweetener to use if you are diabetic if I use it at all. I pretty much only used it for cereal and looks like that is not going to be an issue anymore as i decided not to eat any more of it until I can find one that agrees with me.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 28 2010, 02:25 AM)

i used to avoid the produce section because every time i bought fruit or vegetables, they would get over ripe before anyone in my house would eat them. so i'm learning to buy less and shop more often (kind of a PITA, but worth it) and i'm learning not to feel so bad about having to throw away a couple of brown bananas. how much does a banana cost really? a quarter? i mean it sux to waste anything at all, but it's bound to happen with the kind of schedule i keep. and maybe its not so bad. i mean, i wouldn't mind spending $50 a month on a gym membership, why should i worry so much about the second half of a head of lettuce? wacko.gif

so yeah, i made a new rule for myself that cost is no issue when it comes to eating healthier. spare no expense! 1287.gif

I am actually pretty lucky as I live about a 5 minute walk from this excellent farmer's market. I go there pretty much every other day getting my fresh fruits and veggies. I also get my nuts there and my natural peanut butter, cheese and other good stuff. I could get my poultry there as well but it is pretty pricey there compared to a grocery store. I get it there sometimes because there is a place there that sells organic meats.

Yeah it can be pretty expensive to eat healthy but it is better than the alternative which is a short and sickly life.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 28 2010, 12:37 AM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 27 2010, 11:25 PM)
baby spinach is teh yum!  not sure i'll try drinking it, but it, yeah, it makes me feel great! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i drain and rinse ground beef too...when i cook.  laugh.gif
George Foreman grill rox!!!  cheer.gif

i've heard stevia is the best natural sweetener, and somebody gave me a coupla packets of "Sweetleaf"  biggrin.gif .  but i don't like a lot of sweet, so i haven't actually tried it yet.  confused13.gif  Wiki it yes.gif

that is not to say its too expensive.  no.gif  quite the opposite, actually.

i used to avoid the produce section because every time i bought fruit or vegetables, they would get over ripe before anyone in my house would eat them.  so i'm learning to buy less and shop more often (kind of a PITA, but worth it)  and i'm learning not to feel so bad about having to throw away a couple of brown bananas.  how much does a banana cost really?  a quarter?  i mean it sux to waste anything at all, but it's bound to happen with the kind of schedule i keep.  and maybe its not so bad.  i mean, i wouldn't mind spending $50 a month on a gym membership, why should i worry so much about the second half of a head of lettuce?  wacko.gif

so yeah, i made a new rule for myself that cost is no issue when it comes to eating healthier.  spare no expense!  1287.gif

George Foreman grill rox, couldn't agree with this statement anymore! Burgers and steaks go great on George when you don't feel like firing up the grill for one or two burgers or steaks, and/or the weather doesn't allow. Brown ground beef, scoop it into a colander and rinse with warm water. Why waste money on lean ground beef? What's lean ground beef, made from skinny cows? Brown Bananas? Find a good recipe for Banana bread.

i LUV banana bread. drool1.gif

i have a great recipe for it, too, just no time.

er well, i guess i could be making some right now. unsure.gif

nah, i'm going to relax for 25.5 min then go to bed. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/offtobed.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 29 2010, 09:25 AM)
I bought a Foreman Grill  a few weeks ago.  Definitely awesome.  Always cooking my chicken on it as well as my turkey burgers.

I cannot recall the last time I had any red meat.  Not since I was diagnosed anyways.  I can have it; just never comes to my mind to eating it. 

And yes Bonzie spinach is good!  Always eating spinach in my salad.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts from sam's club, and i don't have to worry about them spoiling either. you get like 20 of them for $12.

they go from the freezer to the table in 13 min with the George Foreman, and they're tasty! there's no nasty package to throw away and stink up the trashcan, no skin, no bone. smile.gif

they taste even better marinated.

i put a couple of pieces into a quart size ziploc, pour in the sauce and let them thaw/marinate in the refrigerator overnight and next day.

thawed, they cook in 8 min.

prolly a lot of msg in those packets of marinade tho sad.gif

bbQ sauce works well. so does plain old soy sauce.

soy sauce is probably my fav, but the sodium is outrageous. doh.gif

mmmm salty chicken chickendance.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 29 2010, 11:29 PM)
I bought a Foreman Grill  a few weeks ago.  Definitely awesome.  Always cooking my chicken on it as well as my turkey burgers.

I cannot recall the last time I had any red meat.  Not since I was diagnosed anyways.  I can have it; just never comes to my mind to eating it. 

And yes Bonzie spinach is good!  Always eating spinach in my salad.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts from sam's club, and i don't have to worry about them spoiling either. you get like 20 of them for $12.

they go from the freezer to the table in 13 min with the George Foreman, and they're tasty! there's no nasty package to throw away and stink up the trashcan, no skin, no bone. smile.gif

i put a couple of pieces into a quart size ziploc, pour in the sauce and let them thaw/marinate in the refrigerator overnight and next day.

Try this marinade on chicken and steak. It's amazing!!!!!

Soy-Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup sherry (preferably REAL sherry, and dry. Cooking sherry is uber salty and ruins the flavor)

1/4 cup olive oil.

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon hot sauce

Marinade chicken only for around 30 minutes. Let steak marinade overnight, if you can.

I also like to make herb-encrusted, pan seared steaks. My recommendation is to NOT use fresh herbs, though. They can get bitter when cooked at the high heat needed to sear the steak.

Yummy!!!!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 30 2010, 12:57 PM)

Soy-Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup sherry (preferably REAL sherry, and dry. Cooking sherry is uber salty and ruins the flavor)

1/4 cup olive oil.

1 tablespoon hot sauce

Marinade chicken only for around 30 minutes. Let steak marinade overnight, if you can.

I also like to make herb-encrusted, pan seared steaks. My recommendation is to NOT use fresh herbs, though. They can get bitter when cooked at the high heat needed to sear the steak.

Yummy!!!!

That looks good...I'm gonna try that one!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/beersmile.gif

Soy-Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil.

1 tablespoon hot sauce

Yummy!!!!

Sounds good!

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2010, 01:20 PM)

Soy-Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil.

1 tablespoon hot sauce

Yummy!!!!

Sounds good!

I made chicken etouffee this weekend! Got crazy with the cayenne, but it turned out good. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 30 2010, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2010, 01:20 PM)

Soy-Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil.

1 tablespoon hot sauce

Yummy!!!!

Sounds good!

I made chicken etouffee this weekend! Got crazy with the cayenne, but it turned out good. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm sure it rocked! I need to make it soon. I'll probably have to have a little refresher from you before I start.

I watched Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution the other night and am VERY inspired to eat better.

I like his approach of using fresh food and products that have very little ingredients. I think I mentioned earlier how I prefer butter to any butter spread which is "lower in fat and calories" but loaded with ingredients you've never heard of unsure.gif So Oliver looks at food as the fresher/less ingredients, the better, even if it's not always considered "good" for you.

He showed how chicken patties and nuggets are made and it made me feel 062802puke_prv.gif

Anyhow, I highly recommend the show.. I don't care much for the drama part of it (i.e. the Town of Huntington and their portrayal. I mean, the show IS on ABC, you can't expect pure objectionism here wink.gif ). So if you can get past that and understand his motive, it's worth it IMO.

In other related news, this recipie of his sounds DELISH:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-re...fish-wrapped-in

Again, maybe not what we might think of as healthy but every ingredient is just that -- what it is -- and fresh. Even the mayo, if you get the real stuff, and not mayo/dressing/whip, whatever. It's not like you're going to eat this everyday and if you balance some other meals with lighter ingredients, this surely fits into a healthy diet.

Well, this is where I am right now with my quest to feel good about my tired old bod:

I started drinking a lot more water and cut down on the coffee. WOW! What a huge difference. yes.gif I have most of my adult life made sure to drink plenty of water. But, since the divorce and needing to work a lot of OT, I've leaned heavily on caffeine to keep me going. Now that I've weaned myself back a little and am staying more hydrated, I can tell that I've lost some weight, and my skin looks so much better.

I gave my mom back that damn bathroom scale. angry.gif All I need to know is that my skinny jeans fit a lot better.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year because when I grocery shop, I can afford to keep us in plenty of fruits and vegetables. During the spring and summer, about 2/3 of my grocery bill is spent on healthy stuff. I'm happily scarfing down strawberries and blackberries, and oranges don't cost $1 each this time of year. I'm in heaven!

I've gotten to where I can run up the stairs here at work instead of just walking them. I also bought an elliptical machine from a friend for a really good price. The kids and I are taking the dog for long, long walks in the evenings. And, I'm hoping that after the summer, I will be in good enough shape to start jogging again. I miss how running made me look and how great it feels.

I promised my youngest, Sera, that I would go one day without smoking. She asked me to try going without a cig this Monday to see if I could do it. I know I can make it just one day, but the kids want me to quit completely. This part scares me the most. scared.gif If I can't do it, I disappoint my kids AND myself. And, I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to quit. Nicotine is my last true vice. I don't have any other indulgences, and I'm afraid that I will gain a lot of weight while I try to quit. sad.gif

Good for you, Stace! Excellent work.

I myself fell off the "eating well" wagon - a camping trip, a work trip, stress, and Easter all played a part. I gained a couple of pounds over the last few weeks, but tomorrow I will face the music and weigh in, and get back on track.

Thanks for the renewed inspiration!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 9 2010, 10:15 AM)
Well, this is where I am right now with my quest to feel good about my tired old bod:

I started drinking a lot more water and cut down on the coffee. WOW! What a huge difference. yes.gif I have most of my adult life made sure to drink plenty of water. But, since the divorce and needing to work a lot of OT, I've leaned heavily on caffeine to keep me going. Now that I've weaned myself back a little and am staying more hydrated, I can tell that I've lost some weight, and my skin looks so much better.

I gave my mom back that damn bathroom scale. angry.gif All I need to know is that my skinny jeans fit a lot better.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year because when I grocery shop, I can afford to keep us in plenty of fruits and vegetables. During the spring and summer, about 2/3 of my grocery bill is spent on healthy stuff. I'm happily scarfing down strawberries and blackberries, and oranges don't cost $1 each this time of year. I'm in heaven!

I've gotten to where I can run up the stairs here at work instead of just walking them. I also bought an elliptical machine from a friend for a really good price. The kids and I are taking the dog for long, long walks in the evenings. And, I'm hoping that after the summer, I will be in good enough shape to start jogging again. I miss how running made me look and how great it feels.

I promised my youngest, Sera, that I would go one day without smoking. She asked me to try going without a cig this Monday to see if I could do it. I know I can make it just one day, but the kids want me to quit completely. This part scares me the most. scared.gif If I can't do it, I disappoint my kids AND myself. And, I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to quit. Nicotine is my last true vice. I don't have any other indulgences, and I'm afraid that I will gain a lot of weight while I try to quit. sad.gif

Thats great! And about that scale...

The scale can be helpful, but often not. Its because it serves as a motivator, but a demotivator every day. These swings are all about these minute numbers, pound here, pound there, and 0.1 resolution!!!

Better to focus on slower, more gradual results, like what matters - how do I feel? Are my clothes getting tighter or looser, etc....

I am thoroughly amazed at what effect nutrition has on my overall sense of well being. Its unbelievable.

Cutting down on caffeine, staying hydrated, and avoiding processed carbs when I can makes a huge difference for me.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 9 2010, 01:32 PM)
Good for you, Stace! Excellent work.

I myself fell off the "eating well" wagon - a camping trip, a work trip, stress, and Easter all played a part. I gained a couple of pounds over the last few weeks, but tomorrow I will face the music and weigh in, and get back on track.

Thanks for the renewed inspiration!

Thanks, Belle. smile.gif

Easter almost did me in, too. Candy everydamnwhere! wacko.gif It's all I can do to walk past everyone's desk at work and not grab the stuff they have out. We went to a family get together on Easter, and the hostess told me to take whatever food I wanted. I loaded a plate up with cake and shit. sad.gif And then, went home and ate it all. sad.gif I bounced right back on Monday, though. I refuse to get all flabby and icky.

I've also started having at least one cup of green tea everyday. I don't know how much real good it does, but I'll take whatever I can get.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 9 2010, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 9 2010, 10:15 AM)

I started drinking a lot more water and cut down on the coffee. WOW! What a huge difference.  yes.gif  I have most of my adult life made sure to drink plenty of water. But, since the divorce and needing to work a lot of OT, I've leaned heavily on caffeine to keep me going. Now that I've weaned myself back a little and am staying more hydrated, I can tell that I've lost some weight, and my skin looks so much better.

I gave my mom back that damn bathroom scale.  angry.gif  All I need to know is that my skinny jeans fit a lot better.

I promised my youngest, Sera, that I would go one day without smoking. She asked me to try going without a cig this Monday to see if I could do it. I know I can make it just one day, but the kids want me to quit completely. This part scares me the most.  scared.gif  If I can't do it, I disappoint my kids AND myself. And, I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to quit. Nicotine is my last true vice. I don't have any other indulgences, and I'm afraid that I will gain a lot of weight while I try to quit.  sad.gif

Thats great! And about that scale...

The scale can be helpful, but often not. Its because it serves as a motivator, but a demotivator every day. These swings are all about these minute numbers, pound here, pound there, and 0.1 resolution!!!

Better to focus on slower, more gradual results, like what matters - how do I feel? Are my clothes getting tighter or looser, etc....

I am thoroughly amazed at what effect nutrition has on my overall sense of well being. Its unbelievable.

Cutting down on caffeine, staying hydrated, and avoiding processed carbs when I can makes a huge difference for me.

bekloppt.gif Hey, lerxt!

Yeah, that stupid scale! angry.gif I only served to piss me off. angry.gif

I feel the same was as you about eating healthy. I straightened up my diet almost 2 years ago. So, now I actually crave food that's good for me. Eating too many carbs and starches make me feel like hell. A little here and there is ok. But, I can't sit down and lay into a plate of pasta like I used to. I feel my best when the bulk of my diet comes from plant-based foods.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 9 2010, 11:15 AM)

Keep it up Stace! applaudit.gif

Keep drinking up the water. yes.gif

I too need caffeine for work but I don't drink coffee...I drink Coke Zero usually.

I like veggies but I'm kind of bit tired of eating them every day laugh.gif Right now I just drill it in my head that it is sort of like medicine and that I NEED to have it every day.

I too need caffeine for work but I don't drink coffee...I drink Coke Zero usually.

I like veggies but I'm kind of bit tired of eating them every day laugh.gif Right now I just drill it in my head that it is sort of like medicine and that I NEED to have it every day.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 9 2010, 02:42 PM)

I started drinking a lot more water and cut down on the coffee. WOW! What a huge difference.  yes.gif  I have most of my adult life made sure to drink plenty of water. But, since the divorce and needing to work a lot of OT, I've leaned heavily on caffeine to keep me going. Now that I've weaned myself back a little and am staying more hydrated, I can tell that I've lost some weight, and my skin looks so much better.

I gave my mom back that damn bathroom scale.  angry.gif  All I need to know is that my skinny jeans fit a lot better.

I promised my youngest, Sera, that I would go one day without smoking. She asked me to try going without a cig this Monday to see if I could do it. I know I can make it just one day, but the kids want me to quit completely. This part scares me the most.  scared.gif  If I can't do it, I disappoint my kids AND myself. And, I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to quit. Nicotine is my last true vice. I don't have any other indulgences, and I'm afraid that I will gain a lot of weight while I try to quit.  sad.gif

That's how I approach it, sort of. I know that at my age, I HAVE to take care of myself. As much as I try to convince myself otherwise, I'm not 25-years-old any more. I also have some blood sugar issues, but not full-blown diabetes. I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy. And, the only thing I know of my biological medical history (I'm adopted) is that both grandmothers died of the disease. I want to live until I'm so old that my kids go crazy waiting for me to die! laugh.gif And, I want to look damn good the whole time, too. yes.gif

Today was a BAD food day. I'm so far off track I can't even SEE the track.

Tomorrow is another day. yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 13 2010, 05:25 PM)
Today was a BAD food day. I'm so far off track I can't even SEE the track.

Tomorrow is another day. yes.gif

You are not alone. I ate so much garbage today. . .starting with the two Pop-Tarts. (Come on, once you open that bag you know you're going to eat both of them!)

Then way too much white rice (I love rice).

But yes, tomorrow is another day.

I'm generally good, but today, spinach dip AND jalapeno artichoke dip was served at our staff meeting!!

.....with soft sourdough!

angry.gif

wub.gif

oh oh sourdough! banghead.gif

i pulled into my carport tonight, and there were 2 loaves of bread and a bag of 24 french rolls sitting on my little patio chair. drool1.gif

a neighbor? confused13.gif

the church?? unsure.gif

a well-meaning friend??? huh.gif

satan himself? ph34r.gif

who would DO such a thing? http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/gah.gif