Eating well

GhostGirl

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 07:54 AM)
Okay, my appetite has gotten weird.  I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it).  I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food.  The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks.  Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack. 

Thinking I cannot live life with this as a regular diet. . .

I assume the shakes and bars are sweet? What do you eat that isn't a sweet food?

I know you don't like veggies that much (neither do I). Sometimes you just have to go with what sounds good - but it probably isn't a great idea to eat only those items.

Have you had any bloodwork done recently? Wonder if you're having some sort of nutritional deficiency and your body is trying to rebuild...

They are sweet, but nobody's going to mistake them for dessert. And if someone put a plate of pastry (one of my weaknesses) in front of me, I'd pass.

Odd indeed. I have tried, years ago when I was a wee bit warped as regards food, to live on this sort of thing. It does NOT work. Yeah, I have sometimes subbed the bars for lunch if I am super busy or on the road - it's a convenience thing - but that's rare.

I brought some rice, corn, black beans, tomatoes and lean ground beef mixed together for lunch. Once I'm hungry enough it'll taste good.

I wonder if I am overtraining, which can throw things out of whack. Also I've swapped green tea for one of the two-liter bottles of diet Mountain Dew I slug down daily, so there is that adjustment as well.

I was going to suggest that it is probably because of the overtraining that your body is craving protein like that. When you cardio work out vigorously, without toning or muscle building, then your muscle mass can actually break down as your protein is used up. If your body is craving protein, it's probably trying to replenish the protein that was taken from the muscles which isn't good. I would suggest that if you lightened your cardio and added some stretching and toning that your body might not crave the protein so much. The key is to balance your work out with your diet.

I could never get into those protein shakes or bars BTW... they don't taste very good to me.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 10:51 AM)
Has anyone ever tried Almond milk?

My levels have been shooting up every time I eat cereal and discovered it was because of milk (I've been trying 1% whole milk; do not like skimmed milk yuck).

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it.  Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

Damn my blood level went up high sad.gif

Ugh...

Could it be the cereal itself, Rick?

I use almond breeze for smoothies - haven't tried it just for drinking.

Well it's Fibre One (which my doctor highly recommend).

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Almond Breeze 0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

Fibre One? Man, that stuff is laxative-in-a-box. Also not very tasty.

I actually like it - I only eat a 1/2 c. at a time, but it's good.

Rick, I'm puzzled. I'm wondering if it's the carbs that convert to sugar that are upping your blood sugar?

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 12:31 PM)

My levels have been shooting up every time I eat cereal and discovered it was because of milk (I've been trying 1% whole milk; do not like skimmed milk yuck).

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it.  Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

No it is not tasty at all hence the Splenda and some nuts laugh.gif

Unfortunately there are not too many choices as far as cereal goes as most of them are loaded with sugar.

I cannot eat hot cereal...I just do not like it laugh.gif

I've been informed that there are cereals made for diabetics out there so I'm going to seek those out. either that or drop cereal altogether.

As far as the "laxative in a box" comment I have not experience anything like that yet laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 12:38 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Rick, I'm puzzled. I'm wondering if it's the carbs that convert to sugar that are upping your blood sugar?

hmmm

According to box there are 24g of carbs per half cup....Is that too much?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 11:45 AM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

I don't know, Rick, but I found this...maybe this site could help?

When people think of diabetes, one of the first associations that comes to mind is food, and especially the old prohibition against eating sweets. In fact, today's dietary guidelines are not as stringent, but are slightly more complex. The guidelines are:

eat a variety of healthy, nutritious foods

reduce fat and protein to reasonable amounts

balance carbohydrate with insulin and exercise.

Numbers 1 and 2 relate to good eating habits and discipline. Both are strongly encouraged for long-term health. Number 3 determines most of the blood sugar control related to eating. Maintaining this balance is what carb counting is all about. Over 90% of the carbs derived from starches and sugars end up as glucose that moves through the blood to your cells. Half the day's insulin is used to balance the carbohydrate we eat in foods. The other half meets the background insulin need, and this need remains relatively steady from day to day.

Carb counting is well worth the effort to learn when you consider the impact it has on your control. To learn how to carb count effectively, you need to:

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

know how many carbs you need

practice, practice and practice some more

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_d...rb_counting.php

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 12:55 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

When people think of diabetes, one of the first associations that comes to mind is food, and especially the old prohibition against eating sweets. In fact, today's dietary guidelines are not as stringent, but are slightly more complex. The guidelines are:

Numbers 1 and 2 relate to good eating habits and discipline. Both are strongly encouraged for long-term health. Number 3 determines most of the blood sugar control related to eating. Maintaining this balance is what carb counting is all about. Over 90% of the carbs derived from starches and sugars end up as glucose that moves through the blood to your cells. Half the day's insulin is used to balance the carbohydrate we eat in foods. The other half meets the background insulin need, and this need remains relatively steady from day to day.

Carb counting is well worth the effort to learn when you consider the impact it has on your control. To learn how to carb count effectively, you need to:

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

Thanks I'll have a look for sure. hug2.gif

I'm actually becoming suspicious of the Splenda....and I read on the Fibre 1 box that it is sweetened with sucralose....It just might be the culprit. I'm reading up on it on the net at the moment.

QUOTE (afurrything @ Mar 23 2010, 03:22 PM)
I was going to say it's the carbs too, converting to sugars.
I have this book and it has a lot of good info in it
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guid...69372086&sr=8-4

Not saying you are trying to lose weight but it does talk about sugars in foods and all that good stuff.

Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2010, 03:29 PM)
I guess I'll have to add cereal to list of food I cannot have anymore sad.gif

This morning I just had cereal (Weatabix shredded wheat)with the almond milk sans Splenda or anything else. (Talk about major bland ugh). My level jumped from 6.2 to 9.7 angry.gif

sad.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 12:59 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

I'm actually becoming suspicious of the Splenda....and I read on the Fibre 1 box that it is sweetened with sucralose....It just might be the culprit. I'm reading up on it on the net at the moment.

Also, Almond Breeze is sweetened. I have a carton right here. The first ingredient is water, the second is evaporated cane juice -- as far as sweeteners goes that's a pretty good one since it isn't as refined as other sweeteners, but it's still sugar.

If you can find unsweetened rice milk, give that a shot. Rice is sweet all on its own and sweetened rice milk tastes too sweet (to me, at least). It still has sugars, but they're naturally occurring in the rice. And IMO it tastes better than almond milk.

Refined sugars and refined carbs are your enemy.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 24 2010, 06:30 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

Also, Almond Breeze is sweetened. I have a carton right here. The first ingredient is water, the second is evaporated cane juice -- as far as sweeteners goes that's a pretty good one since it isn't as refined as other sweeteners, but it's still sugar.

If you can find unsweetened rice milk, give that a shot. Rice is sweet all on its own and sweetened rice milk tastes too sweet (to me, at least). It still has sugars, but they're naturally occurring in the rice. And IMO it tastes better than almond milk.

Almond Breeze comes as unsweetened as well. Which I have.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2010, 07:07 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

got the box here...ingredients

purified water, almonds, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potaasium citrate, carrageenan, soy lechithin, and natural flavors.

hmmm

Hey Test,

My dad was developing sugar problems in his later years. Now, he went to the extreme -- cutting out nearly ALL carbs and sugar but his sugar and blood pressure levels are very very low. (He's on an Atkins-esque diet) He eats under 20 carbohydrates a day.

He eats a lot of protein, greens (but not all greens -- beans are high in carbs) and eggs. Nuts too, omg, he lives on nuts. Cheeses. If he wants sweet stuff, he makes mouse recipies with whipping cream and Splenda.

The catch is his cholesteral is not so nice no.gif Also, I worry about the amount of fake sugar he uses as substitutes. It might keep his levels at bay but what else is it doing -- who knows.

Sugar problems sucks.

And sugar is added nearly everywhere. Even in savory things like tomato sauce, gravies, etc. As with any nutritional plan, reading labels are key.

Edited by iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 24 2010, 07:53 PM)
Hey Test,
My dad was developing sugar problems in his later years. Now, he went to the extreme -- cutting out nearly ALL carbs and sugar but his sugar and blood pressure levels are very very low. (He's on an Atkins-esque diet) He eats under 20 carbohydrates a day.

He eats a lot of protein, greens (but not all greens -- beans are high in carbs) and eggs. Nuts too, omg, he lives on nuts. Cheeses. If he wants sweet stuff, he makes mouse recipies with whipping cream and Splenda.

The catch is his cholesteral is not so nice no.gif Also, I worry about the amount of fake sugar he uses as substitutes. It might keep his levels at bay but what else is it doing -- who knows.

Sugar problems sucks.

And sugar is added nearly everywhere. Even in savory things like tomato sauce, gravies, etc. As with any nutritional plan, reading labels are key.

Yes eggs are good but cannot have every day. I have an omelette (loaded with veggies) every other day. That is the tricky part; getting your good fats and protein without messing with your Cholesterol. I eat a lot of chicken now. Cannot remember last time I had any red meat. None since I've been diagnosed anyways. That is why I'm pissed about the cereal thing because I was hoping to have it to alternate with eggs in morning plus get the fibre I need.

I eat nuts every day as well but only a handful and a half maybe a day. Mostly almonds cashews and walnuts. I also eat peanut butter sandwich once in awhile. Natural peanut butter (Which is so very good) only. Always good for my levels.

I eat a lot of greens every day. Mostly green peppers, celery, cucumbers. Tomatoes and onions are very good for diabetics and have those with chicken sandwiches regularly. I eat a lot of apples and pears. Oranges once in awhile; since they have natural sugars I am careful with them.

Only time I use artifical sweetener is with cereal and always Splenda.

In the opinion of many, if you eat eggs, organic eggs are an absolute MUST. They have more of the good cholesterol and less of the bad. If you can get organic eggs where the hens were fed a diet high in Omega 3s (another good fat), that's a bonus. Plus, they taste better.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2010, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2010, 07:07 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

hmmm

know what carbs are

know what grams are

know the 500 Rule

know how to count carbs

Good luck hon. hug2.gif

got the box here...ingredients

purified water, almonds, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potaasium citrate, carrageenan, soy lechithin, and natural flavors.

hmmm

I haven't seen the unsweetened version here, only Original and Vanilla.

Yep, it seems like that milk is not an issue, at least as far as sweeteners go.

I had been drinking almond milk for a while until I discovered unsweetened rice milk a couple of weeks ago. I've been drinking "other" milks for years now and was never sold on the flavor of any of them, but the unsweetened rice has a nice mellow and neutral flavor to it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 24 2010, 08:28 PM)
In the opinion of many, if you eat eggs, organic eggs are an absolute MUST. They have more of the good cholesterol and less of the bad. If you can get organic eggs where the hens were fed a diet high in Omega 3s (another good fat), that's a bonus. Plus, they taste better.

Yep. That's what I buy. They cost a bit more than the regular eggs but worth it as far as my health goes.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2010, 09:42 PM)

Yep. That's what I buy. They cost a bit more than the regular eggs but worth it as far as my health goes.

IMO, all eggs taste like shit and smell worse. 062802puke_prv.gif

I used to like them - as a kidlet I ate scrambled every morning. Then came that fateful day when the stomach virus hit shortly after breakfast. I truly have not been able to deal with eggs since.

I wish I liked them, because they really are a great nutrition source. Cheap and versatile, too.

Anyone here tried buffalo? I LOVE it, but it is so dang expensive. Low fat and it has such a nice rich taste without being too gamy (which is my issue with venison).

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 24 2010, 10:45 PM)

I used to like them - as a kidlet I ate scrambled every morning. Then came that fateful day when the stomach virus hit shortly after breakfast. I truly have not been able to deal with eggs since.

I wish I liked them, because they really are a great nutrition source. Cheap and versatile, too.

Anyone here tried buffalo? I LOVE it, but it is so dang expensive. Low fat and it has such a nice rich taste without being too gamy (which is my issue with venison).

I see buffalo burgers in the freezer section all the time and have always been tempted to try them.

When you say a "rich" taste, do you mean a strong taste? For example, I consider lamb to be strong-tasting, and I don't like it.

Ugh.. well I definitely did NOT eat well today...

just ate a slice of frozen pizza which I can already feel my stomach rejecting and I gorged on chocolate earlier... my only saving grace was the apple I just ate.

This is my 3rd night in a row I've gorged on chocolate... I think Im over compensating for something... eh.gif

Tomorrow I will eat better.

Or else!

angry.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 24 2010, 10:56 PM)

I see buffalo burgers in the freezer section all the time and have always been tempted to try them.

When you say a "rich" taste, do you mean a strong taste? For example, I consider lamb to be strong-tasting, and I don't like it.

If you don't like lamb (I love it), then you might not like buffalo. It is distinctly stronger tasting than your average super-lean ground beef.

Best way I can describe it is to say it's more strongly flavored than ground beef, but much less so than venison. If you can pick up one of those small pouches (about a half-pound or so) it's worth giving it a try. That way if you don't like it you haven't wasted too much money.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 24 2010, 08:21 PM)

If you don't like lamb (I love it), then you might not like buffalo. It is distinctly stronger tasting than your average super-lean ground beef.

Best way I can describe it is to say it's more strongly flavored than ground beef, but much less so than venison. If you can pick up one of those small pouches (about a half-pound or so) it's worth giving it a try. That way if you don't like it you haven't wasted too much money.

Interesting. I've been wanting to try it but wasn't sure what recipe I should use it in. Any recommendations Mara?

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 25 2010, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 24 2010, 08:21 PM)

Interesting. I've been wanting to try it but wasn't sure what recipe I should use it in. Any recommendations Mara?

I've only ever made burgers with it! The cool thing is that you can get pretty creative with what you add to your burgers. The meat has enough flavor that you don't need to worry much about overpowering it. For example, I've made them with gorgonzola cheese in the center.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 24 2010, 07:53 PM)

Very true. Another issue is sodium.

I do not buy canned foods anymore as they are so loaded with sodium.