Which Rush release created the

tangy

QUOTE (rushfan95 @ Dec 24 2009, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Dec 24 2009, 12:39 PM)
Moving Pictures

I agree...if it was a song, probably Tom Sawyer.

Definitely. And you can count me among the Moving Pictures Baby Boomers, those millions of Rush fans who were all "born" at the same time because of MP.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 24 2009, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushfan95 @ Dec 24 2009, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Dec 24 2009, 12:39 PM)
Moving Pictures

I agree...if it was a song, probably Tom Sawyer.

Definitely. And you can count me among the Moving Pictures Baby Boomers, those millions of Rush fans who were all "born" at the same time because of MP.

It was an exciting time indeed. I went with ESL but can certainly understand/may relent to the MP choice.

The fact is they were released only approximately 8 months apart so my theory is that once people realized how well they could play live and then heard Neils drum solo they were converted for good.

I had been trying to make my friends rush fans and it seemed to me that ESL gave them that little extra push and finally converted them.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 24 2009, 03:27 PM)
It'd have to be Moving Pictures due to their relentless touring, the amount of radio play at the time, and the coming of MTV which was very RUSH-friendly in those early days.

All very true.

The videos they played for Tom Sawyer & Limelight were from ESL?

Moving Pictures sold more copies than any other Rush album (4+ million, 2112 is at 3+ million and a bunch of others are at 1+ million). Simple math would dictate that MP brought in the most new fans. Add to the fact that it contains their most recognizable and famous song, and there you go.

Incidentally, that was the album that brought ME in as a Rush fan back in 1981. yes.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 25 2009, 05:56 AM)
It'd have to be Moving Pictures due to their relentless touring, the amount of radio play at the time, and the coming of MTV which was very RUSH-friendly in those early days.

All very true.

yeah probably since they were the live ones. But I'm guessing that new fans bought MP not ESL

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 24 2009, 04:11 PM)

All very true.

yeah probably since they were the live ones. But I'm guessing that new fans bought MP not ESL

i think you are right but will point out that live albums used to carry more weight in the 70's and early 80's than they did after wards.

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 25 2009, 06:15 AM)

All very true.

i think you are right but will point out that live albums used to carry more weight in the 70's and early 80's than they did after wards.

That's definitely true about the strength of live albums back when we were in diapers

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 24 2009, 04:54 PM)

All very true.

That's definitely true about the strength of live albums back when we were in diapers

I think i was toilet trained at that point? tongue.gif I was 13 when I saw the PW tour.

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 25 2009, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 24 2009, 04:54 PM)

All very true.

I think i was toilet trained at that point? tongue.gif I was 13 when I saw the PW tour.

You know what I'm sayin'. I was 10 when I saw the New World Tour.

I really miss how MTV used to announce then play all those terrible Rush videos tongue.gif . But it was 2.gif nonetheless 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 24 2009, 01:08 PM)
after further thought cool10.gif

Could the answer be 2.gif ?

Of course it is Tangy.

You can thank that radio station in Cleveland for giving RUSH the most fans within such a short amount of time.

The first 2.gif album is the correct answer.

They jumped from their own private label Moon Records to Mercury Records. That was a nice leap.

"Moving Pictures" was their most "popular" record, but their first album put them on the map.

To think that "Caress Of Steel" almost put RUSH out of business.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 24 2009, 03:56 PM)

All very true.

There were both "studio" and "live" versions of those videos. The "studio" versions were literally filmed at Le Studio; if you've ever seen the video for "Vital Signs," the videos for "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" were the same.

Usually when MTV showed "Tom Sawyer," it was the live ESL version they showed. Still, I wouldn't say ESL was the album that attracted the most fans. Like me, many people may have seen that video and then ran out to get the original studio album the song was from.

Archived