Movies you loved in your youth...

rushgoober

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 30 2009, 04:38 AM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 29 2009, 11:25 PM)
This isn't a movie, but I watched a TV Show called "Vegetable Soup". I remember it being really wierd when I was a kid and it came on very early, like 5:30AM. I recently looked it up on youtube and watched a few clips. This show is on acid! Kind of a mix of funk music, space puppets, and talking asparagus teaching how to cook. I showed my kids and they were like, wtf?

The trippy part was when they did the segments of "Outerscope" in which puppet kids build a homemade wooden spaceship and fly to other planets. "Edgar" and the rest of the puppet children had large adult hands which seemed to sprout directly from their armpits - I have no other way to describe it. They looked really creepy. Here's one blogger's take:

On the surface it sounds innocent enough, but these kids were puppets and the puppets were friggin' WEIRD. They had dead-eyed, soulless looking faces with enormous hands, and were unsettling enough to stick in the back of my psyche to this day. The segment "Crash Landing" I have never forgotten, with its bizarre climax of our gang of travelers discovering a checkerboard path on a strange alien world, that leads to....talking toilet brushes. No shit. They have discovered "Saniland," the cleanest planet in the universe, populated by talking dustpans, scrub brushes, bars of soap...the malevolent bad-trip vibes ooze from this place.

For a kids show, the tone is just off-putting and disturbing. The music is very atmospheric and creepy, and there's a weird fatalism to the dialogue ("Looks like we'll never get home") that adds an undercurrent of despair that is just...wrong.

Omg, the puppets were soooo creepy. I had some bad nightmares because of that show. They should make a horror movie where they start killing people. It would be the scariest movie ever made.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 30 2009, 08:28 AM)
One movie that I wouldn't mind seeing a GOOD remake of is Salem's Lot.

The original incarnation was made for TV and featured David Soul (Hutch) as the protagonist. I was nine when it aired, in two parts, and it scared the shit out of me. So when I was around 20 or so, we rented it.

What a letdown. Aside from the fact that old made-for-TV movies don't translate to DVD/VHS/whatever well (you can always tell where it cut to commercial), it was overacted all over the place. I ruined a good childhood memory.

I guess I was about 9 or 10 as well when Salem's Lot aired and it scared the crap out of me too. But seeing it many years later, it was a big, big let down for me as well.

Sorry, were supposed to be talking movies.

How about even Back To The Future. Now seeming just a little too contrived and clever for its own good. And, as mentioned above, doesnt "May The Force Be With You" make you kind of want to throw up just a little...?

Seems like a lot of horror movies don't appeal to me that did at one time. Halloween III: Season of the Witch was one that I thought was good, but I can't watch it now. And in retrospect, poor writing and a plot line that I find a little too disturbing nowadays.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 31 2009, 11:36 AM)
Sitcoms of the 70s. Man, The Fonz was so cool. And now? Yeah.. ummm, not so much. Actually he was kind of a douchebag.

The only good Happy Days episodes were the ones where Fonzie wasn't really Richie's friend...you know, the ones where he wore the blue jacket and rarely spoke and they played Rock 'Round the Clock in the beginning instead of "Sunday, Monday, Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday...crap"

As far as movies that didn't age well, that title goes to The Neverending Story. I saw it went it first came out and thought it was cool/strange. I saw it again about 10 years ago and didn't last through half of it before I left the room

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 1 2009, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 31 2009, 11:36 AM)
Sitcoms of the 70s.  Man, The Fonz was so cool.  And now?  Yeah.. ummm, not so much.  Actually he was kind of a douchebag.

The only good Happy Days episodes were the ones where Fonzie wasn't really Richie's friend...you know, the ones where he wore the blue jacket and rarely spoke and they played Rock 'Round the Clock in the beginning instead of "Sunday, Monday, Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday...crap"

As far as movies that didn't age well, that title goes to The Neverending Story. I saw it went it first came out and thought it was cool/strange. I saw it again about 10 years ago and didn't last through half of it before I left the room

Yeah, when the older brother Chuck left, it was never the same. And the house was set up different as well. Fonzie went from a real edgy guy to a real tool who should have stopped wearing that leather jacket. But it does hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

Some of my fave ever sitcoms are the ones that have held up well over time - something like Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, etc. - these are NOT in that category.

I'm talking shows like Taxi, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Family Ties, The Wonder Years - some of the classics are still good...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2009, 12:26 AM)
Some of my fave ever sitcoms are the ones that have held up well over time - something like Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, etc. - these are NOT in that category.

I'm talking shows like Taxi, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Family Ties, The Wonder Years - some of the classics are still good...

Of the MASH, TAXI, etc. group I'd put All In The Family at the top of it. At it's best, I think it defined cutting edge. It did continue a few too many years though. But I guess I can say that for a lot of shows (including Family Ties).

Cheers & Wonder Years are the only long-lasting sitcoms I can think of that continued to be good from the 1st season to the end.

another movie that has not survived: TRON

Most sitcoms in the 1970's outshine the sitcoms on TV nowadays though. The writing is pitiful.

And Hawaii Five-0 runs rings around the crime shows that are on now.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 1 2009, 06:18 PM)
Of the MASH, TAXI, etc. group I'd put All In The Family at the top of it. At it's best, I think it defined cutting edge. It did continue a few too many years though. But I guess I can say that for a lot of shows (including Family Ties).
Cheers & Wonder Years are the only long-lasting sitcoms I can think of that continued to be good from the 1st season to the end.

Some shows just don't know when to call it a day and they hold on way too long. Some sitcoms in their last year or two (Family Ties being an excellent example) start to become parodies of themselves, with their character attributes greatly exaggerated and too over the top. Other times actors playing major roles leave and the people they get as replacement characters to fill in the gaps don't work anywhere near as well. Shows rarely last for too long when the quality takes a nosedive.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2009, 07:56 AM)
Of the MASH, TAXI, etc. group I'd put All In The Family at the top of it.  At it's best, I think it defined cutting edge.  It did continue a few too many years though.  But I guess I can say that for a lot of shows (including Family Ties).

Some shows just don't know when to call it a day and they hold on way too long. Some sitcoms in their last year or two (Family Ties being an excellent example) start to become parodies of themselves, with their character attributes greatly exaggerated and too over the top. Other times actors playing major roles leave and the people they get as replacement characters to fill in the gaps don't work anywhere near as well. Shows rarely last for too long when the quality takes a nosedive.

All in the Family should never have branched into Archie Bunker's Place and the short-lived Gloria, where a now-single Gloria Stivic and her son Joey work and live with a veterinarian played by Burgess Meredith.

As for those other family sitcoms that lasted a couple years too long... I personally think every one of them screwed themselves by suddenly adding a cute toddler. In some cases, like in The Cosby Show, it was obviously a cynical attempt to replace a former "cute toddler" in the family who had grown too old. How about simply retiring the show, or continuing but without a cute toddler?? The TV execs wouldn't hear of it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2009, 08:51 AM)
Of the MASH, TAXI, etc. group I'd put All In The Family at the top of it.  At it's best, I think it defined cutting edge.  It did continue a few too many years though.  But I guess I can say that for a lot of shows (including Family Ties).

All in the Family should never have branched into Archie Bunker's Place and the short-lived Gloria, where a now-single Gloria Stivic and her son Joey work and live with a veterinarian played by Burgess Meredith.

As for those other family sitcoms that lasted a couple years too long... I personally think every one of them screwed themselves by suddenly adding a cute toddler. In some cases, like in The Cosby Show, it was obviously a cynical attempt to replace a former "cute toddler" in the family who had grown too old. How about simply retiring the show, or continuing but without a cute toddler?? The TV execs wouldn't hear of it.

That's one of the reasons the Brady Bunch suffered was because the added Cousin Oliver to put the "cute" back into the series.

This is where Bea Arthur and Elizabeth Montgomery showed good sense. Bea Arthur didn't want to run "Maude" into the ground and she quit "Golden Girls" for the same reason. In each case, they'd reached the high points and it was time to leave.

Elizabeth Montgomery chose to end Bewitched similarly when approached to sign a 3 year contract, but she'd had enough and felt that it was time to end the series. The ratings were starting to suffer mainly due to "All in the Family" on CBS which aired at the same time and night as Bewitched.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 2 2009, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2009, 08:51 AM)

That's one of the reasons the Brady Bunch suffered was because the added Cousin Oliver to put the "cute" back into the series.

I know that's a common explanation for the demise of Brady Bunch - blame it on cousin Oliver - but as a BB devotee, you of all people should know better. Oliver was only in the final six episodes of the show; can we really blame him for the show's cancellation? According to tvsqaud.com, and repeated on WikiPedia, "the cancellation at that point was inevitable and the Oliver character did not cause it."

But this phenomena - adding a precocious little kid to a faltering show, replacing grown-up child stars, in hopes of a ratings rebound - has become known, not inappropriately, as "Cousin Oliver Syndrome." laugh.gif It's been tried on The Partridge Family, The Cosby Show, Growing Pains, Step By Step, Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, Married With Children, and George Lopez.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 2 2009, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 1 2009, 09:18 PM)

Good call, I had forgotten about that one.

Great videogame, but everytime I've tried to watch the movie I've been completely confused.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2009, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 2 2009, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 1 2009, 09:18 PM)

Good call, I had forgotten about that one.

Great videogame, but everytime I've tried to watch the movie I've been completely confused.

That's because of the deep plot.

laugh.gif

I actually liked the move when I first saw it just for the groundbreaking special effects. It was the first movie to use CG like that.

I used to love this movie. then I recently caught it on cable and hoo-boy, it didnt age very well.

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/night-of-the-comet-movie-poster.jpg

The Champ, with Jon Voight, made me cry my eyes out when I saw it in the theater. I was around 11, I guess, and I thought it was the sweetest, saddest movie.

When I saw it again many years later, I could. Not. Stop. Laughing. In all the wrong places.