Remember camping out for Rush tickets?

oldphilly

Ah the good ol' days of camping out for tickets.I guess this is no longer done since tickets are sold on-line these days?I'm a little out of the loop.I haven't gone to an arena concert in ages.But back in the 80's my buddies and I were always determined to get first in line whenever Rush tickets went on sale.My first experience was during the GUP tour at the Philadelphia Spectrum.I remember we cut school and got to the venue on a Friday morning(tix went on sale on Sat).There was already a line and a list of names of people who weren't in line but were supposed to show up at some point.The list was a scam pulled by ticket scalpers,they would try and monopolize all the spaces in line and then sell all the tickets at a premium.Another problem was that the clerks selling the tickets were payed by the scalpers to pull tickets right when they went on sale,in other words the first few rows were gone before the public could get them.A real shitty scam.Needless to say that year we ended up with crappy seats-despite camping out for more than 24 hrs!

Attempt number was on the Power Windows tour.This time we made sure we were first in line.We showed up at the mall on wednesday night!!(tix on sale on sat).No list-first come first serve.Somehow we ended with seats on the first level on the side even though we were first in line-bummer.But we had a plan.We waited till the first show sold out in hopes they added a second show.About two hrs later a second show was announced.we casually walked up to the ticket counter waited a few minutes until tix went on sale.BOOM front row center.We completely freaked out and made a scene in the mall.

HYF we ended up with front row center for both shows!

Presto tour we were first in line and got screwed again.We literally watched the ticker clerk pull dozens of ticket right befor our eyes-these days I would have attacked the dude right on the spot.Anyway we ended with 30th row-ugh.

after that I was lucky enough to fall into connection which enable me to get free tix,backstage passes,the whole vip treatment.I guess I've payed my dues.

Any good camping out for tickets stories out there?

I guess these days entire tours are sold out within minutes due to the internet.

I slept on the sidewalk in December for Rush tickets on the Moving Pictures tour. The time and temperature clock across the street said 18 degrees at 2am in the morning. It was insane. I didn't even get that great of seats. I wound up with decent section seats. I slept out for many concerts as a teen. I partied my ass off and had some memorable times.

I can relate to your story all too well. It was a crooked operation and the scalpers screwed over alot of people.

When I was 13-16 or so and seeing tons of concerts, my parents didn't let me stay all night for tickets (or maybe I just wasn't quite willing to go to that far), but I did often get to the place at 4 or 5 in the morning and wait in line for many hours. I never got absolutely fantastic seats this way, but I always got pretty decent ones.

No camping overnight for me but I do remember lining up outside the mall in the early morning hours. You could still be the first in-line and the tickets they had were crap! biggrin.gif Ah, what memories that brings back.

There was 1 show Rush played in Anaheim, Ca in a 3000 seat hall. You had to mail in your money for tix. 1st peeps got the seats. I remember waiting each day for the mail and I finally got that golden ticket.

I used to line up early for tickets back in the 70's / early 80's. The longest was two nights in a tent for tickets to see the Keith Richards benefit concert for the blind, when he was busted in Toronto in '78 I believe. The scams were just as prevalent back then. I remember being second in line for a concert, and getting greens at Maple Leaf Gardens. Those were also the days of rush seating. So you lined up early for tickets, and then lined up early for the concert - usually multi-band festivals. Ahh the good old days!

I always had insanely good luck on Rush ticket campouts and later, when the system changed to drawing for a spot in line. I never got front row but we generally managed to get within the first 10-15, and once was 4th row (HYF, which I attended alone). I was considered the "good luck" person for ticket purchases. laugh.gif

Since everything's gone TicketBastard or online, I've gotten screwed routinely on seat selection.

Never camped out to get tickets. They were always GA. We would get to the arena early the day of show and get in line and then haul ass up o the front on the floor. That's where I saw most of my shows back in the day. If you were willing to battle for your spot you were rewarded.

Yeah, getting them online takes all the fun out of it. I never camped out, but would get up early on a saturday and wait in line. It was cool connecting with other fans and sharing stories as you wait. I miss those days.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 6 2009, 12:11 PM)
Never camped out to get tickets. They were always GA. We would get to the arena early the day of show and get in line and then haul ass up o the front on the floor. That's where I saw most of my shows back in the day. If you were willing to battle for your spot you were rewarded.

Speaking of General Admission, I dated a guy in college (he was a bit older than I) who collected a lot of rock memorabilia. He had an old bumper sticker that said, "I stomped two at The Who".

'Nother question. Has anyone among the completely able-bodied among us ever cheated and used a wheelchair to take advantage of the usually better handicapped seating?

Disclaimer - I never have, and at this point in my life would happily participate in maiming such scammers to an extent where the chair would become necessary.

I did know someone who did this in the 80's, though. They equipped the chair will all sorts of fairly pricey recording equipment (mics were in the armrests), smug in the knowledge that security was not going to toss a wheelchair. The boots (U2) still sounded pretty crap.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Oct 6 2009, 03:21 PM)
Scalpers are the way to go now a days.

Sad that Scalpers make more $$$'s than the band or venue on tickets

- - - - - - - - -

Camped out many many time's, sometimes using multiable people so we could get food & bathrooms & sleep, but mostly FUN ! Some great memories from hanging out with bunch of people who enjoy music.

Also, stood in many many lines early & when they started using lottery system we would bring extra friend(s) & all get a lottery number & then Best # bought tickets for the rest of us, In particular this worked fabulous for a particular Pink Floyd show when a friend who was just hanging with us & wasn't going to even participate in getting a lotto # decided to try anyways & pulled the FIRST spot. We got 2 row center @ the window.

Now, (last 10 yrs ) 1st spot at the Venue @ the Window @ the moment sale start,

You be lucky to get within 20 rows, ALL those have been reserved in advance for Brokers/scalpers. WHAT A SCAM ! !

Yes the OLD way was Better for Fans because the Fan with the most effort could get first in line ( or very close ) & GET Excellent seats. This would be FAIR ! Nothing wrong with the

BIGGEST FANS Getting The BEST SEATS @ FACE VALUE

The Venue, The Band, The Management, The Promoters, All still get their Cut.

Legal licensed ticket scalping should be illegal, Simple as that ! !

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Oct 5 2009, 12:00 PM)
Ah the good ol' days of camping out for tickets.I guess this is no longer done since tickets are sold on-line these days?I'm a little out of the loop.I haven't gone to an arena concert in ages.But back in the 80's my buddies and I were always determined to get first in line whenever Rush tickets went on sale.My first experience was during the GUP tour at the Philadelphia Spectrum.I remember we cut school and got to the venue on a Friday morning(tix went on sale on Sat).There was already a line and a list of names of people who weren't in line but were supposed to show up at some point.The list was a scam pulled by ticket scalpers,they would try and monopolize all the spaces in line and then sell all the tickets at a premium.Another problem was that the clerks selling the tickets were payed by the scalpers to pull tickets right when they went on sale,in other words the first few rows were gone before the public could get them.A real shitty scam.Needless to say that year we ended up with crappy seats-despite camping out for more than 24 hrs!
Attempt number was on the Power Windows tour.This time we made sure we were first in line.We showed up at the mall on wednesday night!!(tix on sale on sat).No list-first come first serve.Somehow we ended with seats on the first level on the side even though we were first in line-bummer.But we had a plan.We waited till the first show sold out in hopes they added a second show.About two hrs later a second show was announced.we casually walked up to the ticket counter waited a few minutes until tix went on sale.BOOM front row center.We completely freaked out and made a scene in the mall.
HYF we ended up with front row center for both shows!
Presto tour we were first in line and got screwed again.We literally watched the ticker clerk pull dozens of ticket right befor our eyes-these days I would have attacked the dude right on the spot.Anyway we ended with 30th row-ugh.
after that I was lucky enough to fall into connection which enable me to get free tix,backstage passes,the whole vip treatment.I guess I've payed my dues.

Any good camping out for tickets stories out there?

I guess these days entire tours are sold out within minutes due to the internet.

Nice thread!

I camped out all the time for Rush concerts and I always got screwed.

One year I was second in line.

The guy in front of me got second row center, I got 5th row on the damn side of the Arena.

Never had any luck scoring incredible seats but I sure as hell loved camping in front of Tower Records for every Rush Tour since "Presto" I think!

Too bad those days are long gone.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 6 2009, 02:57 PM)
'Nother question.  Has anyone among the completely able-bodied among us ever cheated and used a wheelchair to take advantage of the usually better handicapped seating? 

Well way back in 1980 for a Ted Nugent concert in Reno, we had a new friend that was wheelchair bound due to an auto accident years previous. She started hanging with us & we definatly were allways using the situation to our advantage . At that concert we used her & the wheelchair to sneek in our booze, back then at this general admission show there really was no "handicapped" section, But found a couple spots on the outer ring, But we got restless & Jenny wanted to get closer, so me & my brother took turns & carried her to the floor & about 1/2 way to the stage. We had a blast that night !

Jenny, always would want me or Andy(brother) to move her to a chair or couch or wherever, she hated the wheelchair, Then usually one of us would sit in the wheelchair & if anybody didn't know they would assume that/that person was handicaped & we would run with that misconception for a while.

Crazy 3 months in Reno

Also was first in line for RUSH tickets in Reno in 1980

And got # 00001 ---thru--- # 00008 even though it was GA.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 6 2009, 12:57 PM)
'Nother question. Has anyone among the completely able-bodied among us ever cheated and used a wheelchair to take advantage of the usually better handicapped seating?

Disclaimer - I never have, and at this point in my life would happily participate in maiming such scammers to an extent where the chair would become necessary.

I did know someone who did this in the 80's, though. They equipped the chair will all sorts of fairly pricey recording equipment (mics were in the armrests), smug in the knowledge that security was not going to toss a wheelchair. The boots (U2) still sounded pretty crap.

I use the handi-capped seats with my back injury and I got pretty pissed in '08 because there were clearly well-abled peeps who got handicapped spots. At Red Rocks the first row is for handi's and the back row.

I had one person next to me that clearly lied to get the seat. She proceeded to bitch on another forum that they wouldn't allow her to move to the railing...at this venue 1st row is almost touching the guys. I bitched at her about all the people in row 70 with no legs, paralyzed, etc that would have loved a seat she lied to get. Had everyone on the board giving her shit for being such a dickhead to lie to get 1st row.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 6 2009, 02:52 PM)

Speaking of General Admission, I dated a guy in college (he was a bit older than I) who collected a lot of rock memorabilia.  He had an old bumper sticker that said, "I stomped two at The Who".

FUNNY GUY! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:11 PM)
Only camped out for one show -- Pink Floyd 1987. Great memories.

laugh.gif

I camped for that one too. Well...more like lying on the sidewalk in an alcohol induced stupor all night... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 8 2009, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:11 PM)
Only camped out for one show -- Pink Floyd 1987.  Great memories.

laugh.gif

I camped for that one too. Well...more like lying on the sidewalk in an alcohol induced stupor all night... ph34r.gif

I was on the sidewalk too.... laugh.gif

Did it three times; only for Rush shows.

Best experience was being second in line and scoring 11th row tickets for the Hold Your Fire Tour at the Meadowlands.

The tickets were nice, but it was also cool hanging out the other people that were there. Many of us brought pillows and sleeping bags.

I remember the guy next to us and his brother brought a portable black and white TV and we all watched Doctor Detroit for a few hours to help pass the time. It had been the coldest night of the year up until that time and thankfully there was a doughnut shop nearby that opened early in the morning and we took turns getting coffee and doughnuts.

It then became pointless with the random wristbands since there was no incentive to show up too early.

Tried to find places off-the-beaten path that didn't bother with wristbands, but it seemed like those places didn't seem to have the ability to pull the best seats.

The ticket buying experience gets more painful with each subsequent tour it seems.

Archived