Best John Carpenter movie with Kurt Russell?

Jack Aubrey

What's your favorite?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite?

• Elvis
    • The Thing
    • Escape From New York
    • Big Trouble In Little China
    • Escape From L. A.

My wife and I were discussing these last night and I thought I'd post it as a poll here just for the heck of it. I'd have to go with Big Trouble In Little China followed by The Thing and then Escape From New York.

If you haven't seen BTILC and are looking for something different, funny, and cool, then by all means check it out!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

The Thing remake, is totally awesome with KR headlining. Although rumours abound that a further remake is in the offing, but no JC or KR.

I quite liked KR in "Little China" but I don't know if comedy is really his thing though

Another great facet about that movie is that it used old-school sfx as opposed to the rather tedious & relentless cgi rubbish we get these days.

"Escape from New York." Actually, I like the whole backstory - that all of Manhattan had been turned into an Island Prison - better than the actual movie! Nice setup! "Escape from L.A." looked too over-the-top ridiculous; never saw it.

Also never saw "Big Trouble in Little China," and never had the desire to... but I later discovered it's got something of a cult following. (Is it really worth my time?) Ditto the non-KR film "Buckaroo Bonzai," another I had no desire to see but later discovered had a cult following.

Escape from New York was an absolute favorite when I first saw it as a kid. 1022.gif

"Sake Plisken...I heard you were dead ?" biggrin.gif

For me it was just about a tie between Escape From New York, and The Thing. But I went with Thing. Something about that movie just outdoes all the rest.

QUOTE (Sark @ Sep 23 2009, 08:41 AM)
Jack Burton narrowly beats out Snake Plisken for me.

Jack Burton

Who? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 23 2009, 08:57 AM)
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/stormtron/jb1.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/stormtron/jb2.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/stormtron/jb3.jpg

"We may be trapped." laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 21 2009, 10:15 AM)
"Escape from New York." Actually, I like the whole backstory - that all of Manhattan had been turned into an Island Prison - better than the actual movie! Nice setup! "Escape from L.A." looked too over-the-top ridiculous; never saw it.

Also never saw "Big Trouble in Little China," and never had the desire to... but I later discovered it's got something of a cult following. (Is it really worth my time?) Ditto the non-KR film "Buckaroo Bonzai," another I had no desire to see but later discovered had a cult following.

Yeah, go ahead and check 'em out. You'll be entertained.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 20 2009, 07:42 AM)
My wife and I were discussing these last night and I thought I'd post it as a poll here just for the heck of it. I'd have to go with Big Trouble In Little China followed by The Thing and then Escape From New York.

If you haven't seen BTILC and are looking for something different, funny, and cool, then by all means check it out!

Hey Dave!

Great thread!!

John Carpenter is my favorite director.

Good news dude if you love Blu-Ray.

"Big Trouble In Little China" is now out on Blu!

I sure wish they would release "Escape From New York" next!

I have to go with that movie as my favorite Russell Carpenter movie.

That is excellent knowledge by the way on the "Elvis" thing.

I forgot about that one.

Here is some Carpenter knowledge for you.

Did you know that John wrote "Eyes Of Laura Mars?" Good movie.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was "Name Your Favorite John Carpenter Movie."

That's easy. "HALLOWEEN" of course.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 23 2009, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 20 2009, 07:42 AM)

Hey Dave!

Great thread!!

John Carpenter is my favorite director.

Good news dude if you love Blu-Ray.

"Big Trouble In Little China" is now out on Blu!

I sure wish they would release "Escape From New York" next!

I have to go with that movie as my favorite Russell Carpenter movie.

That is excellent knowledge by the way on the "Elvis" thing.

I forgot about that one.

Here is some Carpenter knowledge for you.

Did you know that John wrote "Eyes Of Laura Mars?" Good movie.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was "Name Your Favorite John Carpenter Movie."

That's easy. "HALLOWEEN" of course.

Yeah, I knew about Laura Mars. As regards the "favorite John Carpenter" movie poll, do you want to start it or shall I? I've seen all of his movies and I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. Right now it's Prince of Darkness because 1. it's one heck of a great concept and a fantastic story and 2. it's a lesser-known movie and I like to root for the underdog. In second place for me is In The Mouth Of Madness I know it didn't get very good reviews, but I still like it because it's the closest we've ever come to getting a good H. P. Lovecraft movie and I've been a Sam Neill fan since Omen 3, which was the first R-rated movie I saw in the theater. My second was Excalibur, another fantastic movie!

I think I love Big Trouble in Little China so much just because it's so different, and I like different, though I can sure understand why The Thing is getting so much love since it's so friggin' awesome! laugh.gif

I showed it to my wife about three months ago since she'd never seen it and let me tell you, I sure did get a good walloping after the blood test scene! laugh.gif "Why didn't you warn me?! You are an evil, evil man!" laugh.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2009, 07:10 PM)
I think I love Big Trouble in Little China so much just because it's so different, and I like different, though I can sure understand why The Thing is getting so much love since it's so friggin' awesome!  laugh.gif

I showed it to my wife about three months ago since she'd never seen it and let me tell you, I sure did get a good walloping after the blood test scene!  laugh.gif "Why didn't you warn me?! You are an evil, evil man!" laugh.gif

I love the events leading up to and during that blood test scene, but right at the end of that bloody scene is a brilliantly funny line said by one of the survivors (I won't say which one just in case), and went something like

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. However when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter tied to this fu*king couch!!! "

perfect timing and delivery rofl3.gif

Edited by Sonatine

hey jack,we still talkin?....sorry we couldnt see eye to eye on the knife issue man,it was never my intention to see it closed as much as i disliked it.

anyway back to the Q, thats a no brainer for me THE THING one of my fave movies EVER.

so how about geds murmer? ....just joshin! wink.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 23 2009, 01:36 PM)
hey jack,we still talkin?....sorry we couldnt see eye to eye on the knife issue man,it was never my intention to see it closed as much as i disliked it.
anyway back to the Q, thats a no brainer for me THE THING one of my fave movies EVER.

so how about geds murmer? ....just joshin!  wink.gif

I thank you most sincerely for your apology and I'll be glad to talk with you anytime, sir! trink39.gif

so how about geds murmer? ....just joshin!  wink.gif

rofl3.gif Nice one!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Sep 23 2009, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2009, 07:10 PM)
I think I love Big Trouble in Little China so much just because it's so different, and I like different, though I can sure understand why The Thing is getting so much love since it's so friggin' awesome!  laugh.gif

I showed it to my wife about three months ago since she'd never seen it and let me tell you, I sure did get a good walloping after the blood test scene!  laugh.gif "Why didn't you warn me?! You are an evil, evil man!" laugh.gif

I love the events leading up to and during that blood test scene, but right at the end of that bloody scene is a brilliantly funny line said by one of the survivors (I won't say which one just in case), and went something like

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. However when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter tied to this fu*king couch!!! "

perfect timing and delivery rofl3.gif

Fantastic line! One of the best in the movie. I think my favorite was when the head detaches from Bennings' body, sprouts legs and eyes, and starts crawling away and Palmer looks over and says: "You've got to be f*cking kidding!" laugh.gif

My second favorite is when MacReady is hesitant to take the guys up in the chopper because the weather looks iffy and Palmer says "hey, I'll take you up" and when no one even looks at or acknowledges him he says "thanks for thinkin' about it, though". laugh.gif

Wilford Brimley's performance is something else that makes me love the movie so much.