The Miles Davis Thread

*Limelight*

I know this is a Miles Davis thread, but I take a certain pride that John Coltrane is from NC. Same can be said of Thelonious Monk who was born in my hometown.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 16 2009, 06:44 PM)
I know this is a Miles Davis thread, but I take a certain pride that John Coltrane is from NC. Same can be said of Thelonious Monk who was born in my hometown.

John Coltrane had the same birthday as me. i find that to be pretty cool yes.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 15 2009, 11:42 PM)
Kind of Blue is the best jazz album ever IMO.

yes.gif

Bought the cd a few days ago: definitely his best work imho, even beats Bitches Brew, which in itself is a remarkable piece of work

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 16 2009, 03:44 PM)

Coltrane and Davis had some amazing albums together too.

I'm taking a History of Jazz class right now and we're spending a lot of the time talking about Miles. Jazz is a genre I never knew a lot about so this class has been really interesting to take. What's staggering is that I just wrote a big paper comparing and contrasting bebop, cool jazz, and hard bop, and for all three of these completely different styles of music he's listed in all the books I read as one of the innovators. And the paper didn't even touch on modal jazz or the fusion stuff he did in the '60s and '70s. It's just unbelievable how much of jazz is shaped by his work. It's almost like every five years the guy just got bored with the kind of music he was playing and so he just completely invented a new way of playing and that became the style for the next 5-10 years. Is there anybody in the rock world who was that innovative for that long? I know the Beatles are the obvious answer, but they were only together for 8 years. Miles' impact is sort of like if the Beatles did everything they did in the '60s, and then also invented heavy metal, and then turned around and did punk rock in the late '70s before the Clash and Ramones got big, and then invented hip-hop too. I don't use the term "genius" loosely but if Miles Davis doesn't fit it then nobody does.

I listen to Kind of Blue atleast twice a week
  • Like 1

I've been on a huge Miles kick this week. Listening to music from all his different eras. Right now, I'd say my favorite is his original quintet work (albums like Workin', Cookin', Relaxin', etc...) But really everything he's done is just amazing.