The Voice Of The Dt Fan Is Heard !!!

Tick

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2009, 11:25 AM)
The DT hatred always seemed a little inexplicably over the top to me, but then again I'm only a low-key fan so I don't pay that much attention... unsure.gif

agreed

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 18 2009, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 08:30 AM)
So rule number one of the DT forum is "Thou shalt not criticize DT"? Well, I'd say that the fact that our members criticize Rush all the time shows the glaring difference between our board and theirs.

"I made an account on that forum a while ago but never started posting. When I heard that DT covered The Camera Eye I actually went over there and read that thread. I was just as dumbfounded as you. I understanding loving Rush but the fanboyism over there has really turned me off to the forum and chances are I probably won't start posting there."

This was me by the way. People accuse DT and their fans of being elitists but I have never seen any bigger group of elitists than this forum.

And just to clarify that rule doesn't mean you can't criticize the band. It means no bashing/flaming the band. If there's something you don't like about the band or a song then it's fine to talk about about it. Just post some reasons why you don't like something to get a discussion going. Posts saying something sucks and not providing any kind of reason are what isn't allowed.

Every forum has elitists.

It's not really a problem on DTF. This is the only forum I've ever been to where there are so many elitists that it has made me not want to post.

To an 'outsider', yes it would seem that way. I know plenty of 'elitists' on a Muse board, except they don't seem themselves in that light, all they think is that new Muse doesn't hold a candle to Origin Of Symmetry.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:54 AM)
Calling TRF a DT bashing forum in general is crap. Theres healthy criticism here for MANY top rock acts (Who, LZ, PF, Beatles!) as well as our own band. Caling the members of this forum fanboys is bullsh-t.

Lets be honest Lerxt ? No band talked about on this board even comes remotely close to the level of distain towards Dream Theater. If I'm wrong show me where I'm in error ?

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 03:59 PM)
Calling TRF a DT bashing forum in general is crap.  Theres healthy criticism here for MANY top rock acts (Who, LZ, PF, Beatles!) as well as our own band.  Caling the members of this forum fanboys is bullsh-t.

Lets be honest Lerxt ? No band talked about on this board even comes remotely close to the level of distain towards Dream Theater. If I'm wrong show me where I'm in error ?

Oh I don't know about that. The Justin Timberlake thread in MOTS had alot of bashing. With even more stupidity than DT bashing.

EDIT: The reason DT bashing looks more is because there are more fans of DT here than the other bands that get bashed. I'm sure if we had a sudden sharp increase of AC/DC fans, they'd get just as falmed as DT.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 10:59 AM)
Calling TRF a DT bashing forum in general is crap.  Theres healthy criticism here for MANY top rock acts (Who, LZ, PF, Beatles!) as well as our own band.  Caling the members of this forum fanboys is bullsh-t.

Let's be honest, Tick. Next to Rush, no other band is BROUGHT UP MORE than Dream Theater on this board. Naturally, with the extreme amount of conversation about one band, you're going to see an extreme amount of hard knocks (as well as praise) for that band.

The reason DT bashing looks more is because there are more fans of DT here than the other bands that get bashed. I'm sure if we had a sudden sharp increase of AC/DC fans, they'd get just as flamed as DT.

Exactly.

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 11:48 AM)
And just to clarify that rule doesn't mean you can't criticize the band. It means no bashing/flaming the band. If there's something you don't like about the band or a song then it's fine to talk about about it. Just post some reasons why you don't like something to get a discussion going. Posts saying something sucks and not providing any kind of reason are what isn't allowed.

goodpost.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Hmm...well, obviously, I missed THAT thread in here.

Regardless, after hearing that they played TCE in Toronto, it actually bothers me more that...I MISSED THE SHOW! I was hoping to see DT in Toronto, but couldn't afford to make it this time around.

I haven't seen or heard the performance, but I'm sure that they were simply paying tribute to RUSH, and I see no problem with that at all. It's actually a very cool gesture in my opinon. 1022.gif

I am an over-the-top RUSH fan, and am also a fan of DT. I'm still trying to weave my way through the whole DT catelog; I own 3 albums so far (I&W, Change of Seasons, and Octavarium), and enjoy them alot. The guys know how to write some complex tunes, and they are excellent musicians.

Like others mentioned though...music is subjective, so you're always going to get the guys who love them, and the so-called "haters".

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 10:53 AM)
QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 11:48 AM)
So rule number one of the DT forum is "Thou shalt not criticize DT"? Well, I'd say that the fact that our members criticize Rush all the time shows the glaring difference between our board and theirs.

"I made an account on that forum a while ago but never started posting. When I heard that DT covered The Camera Eye I actually went over there and read that thread. I was just as dumbfounded as you. I understanding loving Rush but the fanboyism over there has really turned me off to the forum and chances are I probably won't start posting there."

This was me by the way. People accuse DT and their fans of being elitists but I have never seen any bigger group of elitists than this forum.

Have you read the Rush bashing on this thread? Hahahaaa. And dont paint the whole forum with such a wide brush. 'Kay?

goodpost.gif

No kidding...that's the funny part too. I think people forget just how much Rush-bashing goes on around here too.

I mean, the bashing might not get to ridiculous degrees, but there are always negative comments made about Rush here on a daily basis too. It happens. When everyone expresses their personal tastes and opinions, there are bound to be others waiting to chime in and tell them they're wrong. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 11:30 AM)
I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush".

applaudit.gif

Nailed it.

and for the record, as a "low-key" fan, I thought their cover of The Camera Eye was pretty good - technically wise. The guitar, bass and drums were very much on, albeit a tiny bit too fast. However - and I am not "flaming" the band - LaBrie's vocals were not - he went flat and sharp quite a few times....I've always said that if you cannot sing a song in the key that it was originally done in, just change the key if you REALLY want to perform it.

Having said that, the only thing I have "against" Dream Theater is that, like most of the bands/musicians that have come out of Berklee, there isn't too much emotion/feeling in their playing - it's very technical....not much soul to it. They are very talented, yes. Just not enough soul to keep me listening to it.

(ducks down and waits for the lambasting to begin)

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 11:55 AM)

It's not really a problem on DTF. This is the only forum I've ever been to where there are so many elitists that it has made me not want to post.

1) Please grow a thicker skin.....there are many, MANY forums out there that are much worse. I've been a part of many of them, and am no longer, as this is a good blend of fandom and critique.

2) If you do NOT criticize on a forum, that forum becomes BORING. I hate "sunshine and rainbows" type boards, where the admins/mods are Nazi-like in their attempts to squash criticism. That's not real life, as we are not cookie-cutter fans.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 09:24 AM)

1) Please grow a thicker skin.....there are many, MANY forums out there that are much worse. I've been a part of many of them, and am no longer, as this is a good blend of fandom and critique.

2) If you do NOT criticize on a forum, that forum becomes BORING. I hate "sunshine and rainbows" type boards, where the admins/mods are Nazi-like in their attempts to squash criticism. That's not real life, as we are not cookie-cutter fans.

There's a difference between criticism and senseless bashing.

FYI...This board is not the only one that "loves" to bash on DT wankery. Prog Archives has quite the group of hardcore Progressive Rock fans who do the same, and they are not necessarily Rush fans, but fans of many different Prog bands. I've seen the DT bashing on Prog Radio (DLBN chat) as well. So the point I am trying to make is that it is not isolated to TRF. For whatever reason, DT is a band that people love to trash...just like Rush used to be, so in that respect, they are carrying the torch.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 10:47 AM)

I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush". Among Mike Portnoy's many tattoos I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had one that read: "What would Neil, Geddy, and Alex do?"

That, of course, is just my take. If you enjoy DT, then more power to you, and if you have no problem with them playing Rush covers then that's fine, just don't get all hunched up about it when someone disagrees.

In all due respect, you don't get it. The Rush fan feels like they need to attack Dream Theater at every turn. That's a fact. It makes no sense. Of coarse your taking the Rush Forum view point, but there have have the right to feel the way they do. There are so many Rush snobs here its sickening. WAY more then the amount of DT fans who criticize Rush. They have every right to feel like they do.

I'm so sick of the DT haters I could puke. I think I will. 062802puke_prv.gif

Perhaps you're right, maybe I don't get it. I'm big enough to admit that. I'm just calling it as I see it. However, you know as well as I do that there are people out there that interpret criticism as hate. There's all kinds of thin-skinned folks out there and life is way too short to go through it being like that.

So some people hate DT. So what? There are more important things in life to worry about and getting pissed because someone hates or criticizes your favorite band is the equivalent of small man syndrome. I guess those folks on the DT forum would have a collective coronary if someone started an "I Hate DT Because They Suck And Try Too Hard To Be Like Rush" forum.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 12:16 PM)
I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush".

applaudit.gif

Nailed it.

Derivative? Wow...good word and it fits nicely. yes.gif

Love 'em hate 'em its all just FREE ADVERTISING in the end.

So the more DT threads and posting there are....the merrier! All good for DT.

Example, Like when other radio morning shows, slam Howard Stern...Its still just free advertising for stern.

As long as its DT using the Rush board to sell there albums i'm fine with it all..

DT is DT cause they and there wonderful fans ain't dumb...they know where the mass media is!

You just have to step back from the forest and admire 'the tree's'' thats all.

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 18 2009, 09:24 AM)

There's a difference between criticism and senseless bashing.

"Wah wah wah! They're bashing my band! I want Mommy" fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

See man, that's what you sound like and it does you no credit whatsoever. Don't you have bills to pay or a family to take care of? Don't you think you should be worrying about that instead of complaining that some folks on another forum are bashing your band? You seriously need to re-prioritize.

Well Tick...I would say that NICKELBACK would probably get alot more heat than DT.

The thing is...nobody ever brings up Nickelback simply because they're not worth talking about! tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 10:47 AM)

I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush". Among Mike Portnoy's many tattoos I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had one that read: "What would Neil, Geddy, and Alex do?"

That, of course, is just my take. If you enjoy DT, then more power to you, and if you have no problem with them playing Rush covers then that's fine, just don't get all hunched up about it when someone disagrees.

In all due respect, you don't get it. The Rush fan feels like they need to attack Dream Theater at every turn. That's a fact. It makes no sense. Of coarse your taking the Rush Forum view point, but there have have the right to feel the way they do. There are so many Rush snobs here its sickening. WAY more then the amount of DT fans who criticize Rush. They have every right to feel like they do.

I'm so sick of the DT haters I could puke. I think I will. 062802puke_prv.gif

Perhaps you're right, maybe I don't get it. I'm big enough to admit that. I'm just calling it as I see it. However, you know as well as I do that there are people out there that interpret criticism as hate. There's all kinds of thin-skinned folks out there and life is way too short to go through it being like that.

So some people hate DT. So what? There are more important things in life to worry about and getting pissed because someone hates or criticizes your favorite band is the equivalent of small man syndrome. I guess those folks on the DT forum would have a collective coronary if someone started an "I Hate DT Because They Suck And Try Too Hard To Be Like Rush" forum.

Your absolutely right on one point. There are way more important things in life to worry about then someone hating your favorite band, just not on a message board. laugh.gif

To me, this kind of crap is a big part of what keeps it interesting to me. 653.gif smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 18 2009, 01:14 PM)

Well Tick...I would say that NICKELBACK would probably get alot more heat than DT.

The thing is...nobody ever brings up Nickelback simply because they're not worth talking about! tongue.gif laugh.gif

Well you just did and i would like to voice my distaste for those formula rockers.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 11:18 AM)
Having said that, the only thing I have "against" Dream Theater is that, like most of the bands/musicians that have come out of Berklee, there isn't too much emotion/feeling in their playing - it's very technical....not much soul to it. They are very talented, yes. Just not enough soul to keep me listening to it.

That's exactly where I'm at with DT. I just find that their music lacks soul and emotion. Since there are so many DT fans on this forum, I always give them a listen when I hear one of their songs played on the Boneyard on XM...but it just doesn't do it for me.

What I don't understand is why someone would take offense if another bashes a band that they like. Big deal. Listen to what you like and everyone else be damned. If you really cared about what people thought about the bands you listen to...how did you become a big Rush fan?

I would like to appoligize if this thread crossed the line. It's not the fault of the DTF forum, its mine. They are just doing what any board would do. I take full responsibly for my actions.

I will now take my spanking. moon.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, don't be angry with the fans on that board. It was my evil that started this. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 12:25 PM)
I would like to appoligize if this thread crossed the line. It's not the fault of the DTF forum, its mine. They are just doing what any board would do. I take full responsibly for my actions.

I will now take my spanking. moon.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, don't be angry with the fans on that board. It was my evil that started this. yes.gif

yeah, we don't want to fan the flames of dt hatred anymore do we?

tick are you talking about the DT forum of the mike portnoy forum?

Archived