The Voice Of The Dt Fan Is Heard !!!

Tick

Ok, at the risk of pissing off my friend 1001, I'm going to give you a glimpse at what the DT board has to say about the haters on this board. I will take direct quotes so you can see what the other side thinks. Enjoy.

"I can understand their fanboyism, but some of the senseless bashing over there is sickening. People are spouting opinions as fact, and then DT fans enter the thread and correct them, yet they still want to trash the band.

If they don't like the cover, that's fine. But they don't need to say that they're disrespecting Rush for covering them. They never said that they were disrespecting Metallica, or Deep Purple, or Pink Floyd, or Iron Maiden.

Probably why I don't post there much..."

"How in the world is it disrespecting Rush to play songs that Rush won't play live?!?!"

(on the above post)

"This. But Rush fans (and of course fanboys) have been bashing DT since about 1992, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they are flailing another heap of shit at them the moment they found out that TCE was played.

Envy? Maybe. Stupidity? Of course."

"I made an account on that forum a while ago but never started posting. When I heard that DT covered The Camera Eye I actually went over there and read that thread. I was just as dumbfounded as you. I understanding loving Rush but the fanboyism over there has really turned me off to the forum and chances are I probably won't start posting there."

"Lol hilarious. Criticizing a band for covering a song the real band won't? It's honouring a band more by playing an obscure song to show how diehard a fan you are. It's giving something different that you wouldn't get at a Rush concert so people don't think you're undermining the original band by playing songs they're playing every night.

I mean, does it really matter? They're playing a song to pay tribute to a band they love. I have lost faith in music fans when someone can over analyze something so simple as covering a song."

"I remember there was another time someone linked a thread from there where they were all bashing DT. I remember reading some of the same comments in this thread that I did there, it's probably the same people saying all of the same things over and over again. "

I think you get the idea. I thought you should read what the other side says about this board.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:20 AM)
Very interesting. Having said that, would we not do/say the same thing if the situation were reversed? smile.gif

Yeah except that the majority of DT fans are also Rush fans, so that doesn't happen very often

"It doesn't make any f***ing sense at all. I became a Rush fan in 1987 five years before becoming a DT fan and I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I wish Rush and DT would tour together. It would be absolutely epic. As far as I'm concerned, DT can cover whatever Rush songs they want."

"Some poeple in this world are simply douchebags, and will look for any outlet or opportunity in which to demonstrate this. That thread is such an example. It's nothing more and nothing less than douchebags being douchebags.

And i say this as a really big Rush fan."

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 18 2009, 11:22 AM)
Very interesting.  Having said that, would we not do/say the same thing if the situation were reversed?  smile.gif

Yeah except that the majority of DT fans are also Rush fans, so that doesn't happen very often

It never happens ! DT fans never rip on Rush, from what I see.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 18 2009, 11:22 AM)
Very interesting.  Having said that, would we not do/say the same thing if the situation were reversed?  smile.gif

It never happens ! DT fans never rip on Rush, from what I see.

No, what I meant was, if they did, would we not discuss that and wonder why and complain...

So rule number one of the DT forum is "Thou shalt not criticize DT"? Well, I'd say that the fact that our members criticize Rush all the time shows the glaring difference between our board and theirs.

I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush". Among Mike Portnoy's many tattoos I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had one that read: "What would Neil, Geddy, and Alex do?"

That, of course, is just my take. If you enjoy DT, then more power to you, and if you have no problem with them playing Rush covers then that's fine, just don't get all hunched up about it when someone disagrees.

Other bands' message boards would hate DT. Why is it that DT fans get worked up over Rush fans not liking DT? Is it a longing for acceptance, some kind of need to be liked by everyone on a Rush board? Music is subjective, and unless I'm mistaken, for every hater here there's probably a lover here to. So it's not all that bad.

Someone could probably find a lot of angry Iron Maiden/Pink Floyd/Metallica fans if they wanted to.

Some people don't like your band, big deal.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 18 2009, 11:36 AM)
Lolololol.

Does it really matter? Honestly, does it?

This is the internet. Everything matters.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

goodpost.gif

Why the hell else are we here ? Roll the bones ! laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 11:42 AM)
Lolololol.

goodpost.gif

TRF

Where Minutiae Matters

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 11:30 AM)
So rule number one of the DT forum is "Thou shalt not criticize DT"? Well, I'd say that the fact that our members criticize Rush all the time shows the glaring difference between our board and theirs.

I have tried to get into DT and even own one of their albums. I have watched their videos and consider Mike Portnoy to be a very fine drummer and John Myung a very fine bassist. However, I find them to be, at best, derivative and I've always been a little put off by the fans who say: "you like Rush, so you should like DT!" DT are riding on Rush's coattails and doing their best to imitate them instead of forging their own musical identity and I think that most of their fans realize that on some level and that it must sting at least a little. The Rush covers they played at their show don't seem like tribute so much as they seem like they're saying "we wish we were Rush". Among Mike Portnoy's many tattoos I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had one that read: "What would Neil, Geddy, and Alex do?"

That, of course, is just my take. If you enjoy DT, then more power to you, and if you have no problem with them playing Rush covers then that's fine, just don't get all hunched up about it when someone disagrees.

In all due respect, you don't get it. The Rush fan feels like they need to attack Dream Theater at every turn. That's a fact. It makes no sense. Of coarse your taking the Rush Forum view point, but there have have the right to feel the way they do. There are so many Rush snobs here its sickening. WAY more then the amount of DT fans who criticize Rush. They have every right to feel like they do.

I'm so sick of the DT haters I could puke. I think I will. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 08:30 AM)

"I made an account on that forum a while ago but never started posting. When I heard that DT covered The Camera Eye I actually went over there and read that thread. I was just as dumbfounded as you. I understanding loving Rush but the fanboyism over there has really turned me off to the forum and chances are I probably won't start posting there."

This was me by the way. People accuse DT and their fans of being elitists but I have never seen any bigger group of elitists than this forum.

And just to clarify that rule doesn't mean you can't criticize the band. It means no bashing/flaming the band. If there's something you don't like about the band or a song then it's fine to talk about about it. Just post some reasons why you don't like something to get a discussion going. Posts saying something sucks and not providing any kind of reason are what isn't allowed.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 03:47 PM)
Lolololol.

goodpost.gif

TRF

Where Minutiae Matters

laugh.gif

If you could make that like the NBA advert...

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 03:48 PM)

This was me by the way. People accuse DT and their fans of being elitists but I have never seen any bigger group of elitists than this forum.

And just to clarify that rule doesn't mean you can't criticize the band. It means no bashing/flaming the band. If there's something you don't like about the band or a song then it's fine to talk about about it. Just post some reasons why you don't like something to get a discussion going. Posts saying something sucks and not providing any kind of reason are what isn't allowed.

Every forum has elitists.

I don't like Dream Theater's music, but I thought the Camera Eye cover was pretty good, and I don't have a problem with them covering Rush or any other band. It's clearly just a tribute kind of thing to their favorite bands, I don't find it disrespectful at all. I don't understand what the fuss is all about..

QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 11:48 AM)

Have you read the Rush bashing on this thread? Hahahaaa. And dont paint the whole forum with such a wide brush. 'Kay?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 18 2009, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (glaurung @ Aug 18 2009, 03:48 PM)

Every forum has elitists.

It's not really a problem on DTF. This is the only forum I've ever been to where there are so many elitists that it has made me not want to post.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 10:47 AM)
Lolololol.

goodpost.gif

TRF

Where Minutiae Matters

laugh.gif

With all due respect, it seems "minutae matters" all over the Net! And I'm just as guilty as the next Surfer.

Who was it whose signature had a little cartoon of a guy up all night typing on his PC; his wife says to come to bed, but he replies that he can't, because somebody is "wrong" on the Net? That's me to a T. I can't count the hours I've spent typing my arguments about inconsequential shit, even in the middle of the night, because I was sure I was right and another poster "wrong." (And a lot of times there ISN'T a right or wrong, because we're talking about personal tastes and not empirical truths.)

Archived