The Voice Of The Dt Fan Is Heard !!!

Tick

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:20 AM)
Very interesting. Having said that, would we not do/say the same thing if the situation were reversed? smile.gif

goodpost.gif We are a hypercritical bunch. We analyze things to the point of obscurity. Needless to say, I'm not upset that DT did a Rush tune live. It's a tribute the band & if it isn't that awful sounding, cool. I heard them play Bytor & the Snowdog live. Mike Mangini & Mike Portnoy were both playing it. Mangini got a little lost on the song. Portnoy knew where he was.

I asked Mangini later about it-He said, "Was that what the song was? I didn't recognize it."

Well, I recognized it. It was horrible but it wasn't Rush either. It was a funny moment for DT, they had fun. That's fine.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 18 2009, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 12:25 PM)
I would like to appoligize if this thread crossed the line. It's not the fault of the DTF forum, its mine. They are just doing what any board would do. I take full responsibly for my actions.

I will now take my spanking. moon.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, don't be angry with the fans on that board. It was my evil that started this. yes.gif

yeah, we don't want to fan the flames of dt hatred anymore do we?

tick are you talking about the DT forum of the mike portnoy forum?

Not Portnoys forum. I'm talking about The Dream Theater Forums. net

They are a much smaller group, similar to the size of this board.

The only people who should take serious umbrage when a band - any band, yes, even our beloved Rush - is "bashed" are the band members themselves. And maybe their moms.

And tick, it's been an interesting thread so far.

I remember RR posting in the DT thread one time that Mike Portnoy himself once came through TRF and saw the senseless DT bashing, and commented to RR that "we don't like them over here"..

I'll dig up RR's post if I can find it.

17 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Pags, LakesideMaiden, tick, Mara, The Owl, masque, glaurung, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, LeaveMyThingAlone, mankad89, Jack Aubrey, Mystic Slipperman

Sheesh! So much attention on this. laugh.gif

We're all just a bunch of goofoffs who'd laugh over beers and drinks regardless of the music we listen to.

trink39.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 12:39 PM)
I remember RR posting in the DT thread one time that Mike Portnoy himself once came through TRF and saw the senseless DT bashing, and commented to RR that "we don't like them over here"..

I think it was a member or admin who MET Portnoy. The member/admin was wearing a Rush Forum t-shirt at the time, and Portnoy said, "The Rush Forum? Man, they hate us over there!"

I think the thread started after that encounter may have been made by Tick, and the gist was "Let's let DT know that's not true, and that we actually love them!" Yeah... that didn't go over as planned, since only half of us like them and the other half not-so-much!

Yeah, every Fan board has elitists.

I have been a member of a Pink FLoyd, a Zeppelin, and a Who forum at different given times and anytime I or anyone would bring Rush up, you'd get the typical elitist responses.

That being said, I dont know if they would be as quick to criticize Rush if they covered a Who or Floyd song, as this board was to criticize DT for covering TCE

Personally, I agree with most of the members of the DT forum....and I mentioned it in another thread....Who gives a crap if they want to pay tribute to the band that most inspired them? It's a damn compliment and I'm sure Rush took it that way, and the fanbois of the Forum should too

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 11:47 AM)

I think it was a member or admin who MET Portnoy. The member/admin was wearing a Rush Forum t-shirt at the time, and Portnoy said, "The Rush Forum? Man, they hate us over there!"

I think the thread started after that encounter may have been made by Tick, and the gist was "Let's let DT know that's not true, and that we actually love them!" Yeah... that didn't go over as planned, since only half of us like them and the other half not-so-much!

That's the post im trying to find

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 18 2009, 01:47 PM)
That being said, I dont know if they would be as quick to criticize Rush if they covered a Who or Floyd song, as this board was to criticize DT for covering TCE

I would expect heavy criticism. yes.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 18 2009, 01:44 PM)
17 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
Pags, LakesideMaiden, tick, Mara, The Owl, masque, glaurung, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, LeaveMyThingAlone, mankad89, Jack Aubrey, Mystic Slipperman

Sheesh!  So much attention on this.  laugh.gif

We're all just a bunch of goofoffs who'd laugh over beers and drinks regardless of the music we listen to.

trink39.gif trink38.gif

I guess this is what makes a message board fun ? Something strikes a chord with you, and before you know it your entertained for an entire day ! laugh.gif

and nothing productive in your life is achieved during this time span. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 01:47 PM)

It was RR - face to face with Portnoy.

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 18 2009, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 01:47 PM)

It was RR - face to face with Portnoy.

I remember that. seemed like it was a buzzkill for RR too.

Here is RR's Post from just over 2 years ago.....

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 12 2007, 01:05 PM)
Saw DT in Cleveland last night and the meet n greet was... um.... interesting....  Here's how it went, wording not exact I am sure but pretty damn close...

I am in the line to get my picture taken with them, wearing my The Rush Forum shirt.  My turn comes, I walk up:

Me: "Hey guys, how ya doing?"

Mike Portnoy: "The Rush Forum? You guys think we suck."

Me: "Huh?  That's not true!"

Jorden Rudess (? Need to confirm it was him and not one of the other members of the band when I get my picture): "Who thinks we suck?"

Mike Portnoy: "They do - The Rush Forum.  They hate us over there"

Me: "That isn't true - only 3 or 4 people are like that, just ignore them."

During the signing I was like "Really, there are only a few people who say that, I wouldn't be here if I thought you sucked" to which Mike mumbled something like "It's ok".

I thought it sucked, I was embarrassed for this website because of the dildos here who have to be as vocal as possible in how much they think "DT sucks"...

Concert was great, but I was disappointed in my seats.  While I had third row, I was off to the side and it was actually a limited view seat in the end - I couldn't see Portnoy, I could see John P about half the time, and could hardly see Jordan.  I am surprised they would allow someone to pay $300 face value for a seat like this.  I ended up leaving during encore because I had a 4 hour drive home and was tired of craning my neck to see...

DT does not suck and I am ashamed that Mike Portnoy has actually read those assinine comments here....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 11:47 AM)

That's the post im trying to find

GR summarized it good enough that finding it is not a priority.

EDIT: NVM, you already did.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 18 2009, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 18 2009, 11:18 AM)
Having said that, the only thing I have "against" Dream Theater is that, like most of the bands/musicians that have come out of Berklee, there isn't too much emotion/feeling in their playing - it's very technical....not much soul to it.

That's exactly where I'm at with DT. I just find that their music lacks soul and emotion. Since there are so many DT fans on this forum, I always give them a listen when I hear one of their songs played on the Boneyard on XM...but it just doesn't do it for me.

Uggh....

This is the umpteenth time I've heard this comment... "DT has no soul"

Here are at least 10 songs off the top of my head that disprove that.

The Spirit Carries On

Hollow Years

Space Dye-Vest

Octavarium-Razor's Edge

I Walk Beside You

Anna Lee (Yes I like this song)

A Change of Seasons (Specifically the "Another World" section)

The Solo section of "Lines in the Sand"

Through Her Eyes

Beyond This Life

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

I could go on...........but the idea that "DT has no soul" is preposterous.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 01:02 PM)

Saw DT in Cleveland last night and the meet n greet was... um.... interesting....  Here's how it went, wording not exact I am sure but pretty damn close...

I am in the line to get my picture taken with them, wearing my The Rush Forum shirt.  My turn comes, I walk up:

Jorden Rudess (? Need to confirm it was him and not one of the other members of the band when I get my picture): "Who thinks we suck?"

During the signing I was like "Really, there are only a few people who say that, I wouldn't be here if I thought you sucked" to which Mike mumbled something like "It's ok".

I thought it sucked, I was embarrassed for this website because of the dildos here who have to be as vocal as possible in how much they think "DT sucks"...

Concert was great, but I was disappointed in my seats.  While I had third row, I was off to the side and it was actually a limited view seat in the end - I couldn't see Portnoy, I could see John P about half the time, and could hardly see Jordan.  I am surprised they would allow someone to pay $300 face value for a seat like this.  I ended up leaving during encore because I had a 4 hour drive home and was tired of craning my neck to see...

DT does not suck and I am ashamed that Mike Portnoy has actually read those assinine comments here....

I just searched for that, too... and found it. That post was made by RushRevisited in the "Official DT Thread." The encounter with Portnoy, and that post, then inspired the following thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...=29785&st=0&hl=

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 12:22 PM)

I just searched for that, too... and found it. That post was made by RushRevisited in the "Official DT Thread." The encounter with Portnoy, and that post, then inspired the following thread:

I remember that thread as well.... alot of douchbaggary.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 02:17 PM)
Having said that, the only thing I have "against" Dream Theater is that, like most of the bands/musicians that have come out of Berklee, there isn't too much emotion/feeling in their playing - it's very technical....not much soul to it.

That's exactly where I'm at with DT. I just find that their music lacks soul and emotion. Since there are so many DT fans on this forum, I always give them a listen when I hear one of their songs played on the Boneyard on XM...but it just doesn't do it for me.

Uggh....

The Spirit Carries On

Hollow Years

Space Dye-Vest

Octavarium-Razor's Edge

I Walk Beside You

Through Her Eyes

Beyond This Life

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

b_sigh.gif I wasn't speaking of the content or lyrics of the songs, or how they are written - I was referring to how the songs are played....I'm not much of a fan of Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai (geez, that'll probably open another can of worms) either, for the same reason.

IMHO, I don't feel it when they play - as someone who has played and LOVED the guitar like it was my child for over 26 years....listening to guitarists like Alex Lifeson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vince Gill, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Brad Paisley...where you can feel and hear the emotion and passion in what they are playing - I just don't FEEL it when I listen to Dream Theater. This is my opinion - not factual.

I would also like to clarify that I don't have anything against Berklee, either - in fact my father's guitar teacher (before Bill worked at Berklee), Bill Leavitt, was the head of the music department there.

I just feel that most of the musicians that come out of there are too focused on the technical side of music, that they don't put enough of themselves in it - it's almost robotic in it's sound. All I'm saying is where is the love of the instrument that made them start playing in the first place?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 12:22 PM)

I remember that thread as well.... alot of douchbaggary.

Way to go rehashing bad blood when it is not neccessary to do so. I could stoop down to your level and post threads where DT fans have made deragtory remarks to me when I stated my dislike for DT but I'm not gong to do that.

It was th eonly time I really had any issue with RR and I felt bad. But I still stand by what I said in there.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 01:17 PM)

Uggh....

The Spirit Carries On

Hollow Years

Space Dye-Vest

Octavarium-Razor's Edge

I Walk Beside You

Through Her Eyes

Beyond This Life

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

How can you disprove how someone hears music? If your ear hears something, and you like it...good for you. But just because it sounds one way to you, doesn't mean it's going to sound the same way to another.

I still think their music sounds empty.

It's just my opinion that DT tries to hard to cram too many notes into a measure rather than ring as much out of a note as possible. See Comfortably Numb for a lesson on how that is done. wink.gif

This thread has crossed the line !!!!

Please take the time (wink, wink) to watch this clip for a little perspective !

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 18 2009, 02:52 PM)
This thread has crossed the line !!!!

Please take the time (wink, wink) to watch this clip for a little perspective !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU

laugh.gif LMFAO z7shysterical.gif

Archived