Jimi Hendrix

Earthshine

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2009, 05:22 PM)
I actually think Jimi is underrated as a song writer, people tend to jut think of him a a typical blues song writer but he had some clever lyrics and wrote pop songs, psychadelic stuff, funk and soul songs and created a new blend of all of these elements. His tunes were and are amazingly good.

As a guitarist I think for his era 1966-1970 he was WAY ahead of his time. He had the blues sensibilities of people like Lightning Hopkins and Muddy Waters, some of the jazz stylings of Wes Montgomery combined with the 70s rock flash of Jeff Beck before Jeff Beck was really Jeff Beck and Blackmore before Blackmore was Blackmore etc. He was sort of like Steve Vai was between 1986-1990 in terms of how he was regarded by people and he had that kind of guitar IQ. In actuality though it's the other way around and Vai was the nearest thing to a Hendrix of his era. Vai has even copped a few licks of Jimi's, and of all guitarists out there Hendrix is the one that Vai has based himself on most. This should tell you all you need to know.

Some idiots try to compare Jimi as he was then to some 21st century technical player, who is backed by modern production values and say "look at this, Hendrix is overrated" not realising the guy probably wouldn't even exist as a guitarist at all if it weren't for Hendrix and he still can't truly outplay him even with a 40 year jump in technical progress in his favour.

goodpost.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2009, 05:22 AM)
I actually think Jimi is underrated as a song writer, people tend to jut think of him a a typical blues song writer but he had some clever lyrics and wrote pop songs, psychadelic stuff, funk and soul songs and created a new blend of all of these elements. His tunes were and are amazingly good.

As a guitarist I think for his era 1966-1970 he was WAY ahead of his time. He had the blues sensibilities of people like Lightning Hopkins and Muddy Waters, some of the jazz stylings of Wes Montgomery combined with the 70s rock flash of Jeff Beck before Jeff Beck was really Jeff Beck and Blackmore before Blackmore was Blackmore etc. He was sort of like Steve Vai was between 1986-1990 in terms of how he was regarded by people and he had that kind of guitar IQ. In actuality though it's the other way around and Vai was the nearest thing to a Hendrix of his era. Vai has even copped a few licks of Jimi's, and of all guitarists out there Hendrix is the one that Vai has based himself on most. This should tell you all you need to know.

Some idiots try to compare Jimi as he was then to some 21st century technical player, who is backed by modern production values and say "look at this, Hendrix is overrated" not realising the guy probably wouldn't even exist as a guitarist at all if it weren't for Hendrix and he still can't truly outplay him even with a 40 year jump in technical progress in his favour.

Great post, Treeduck.

He was much more than an incredible guitar player.

A truly special psychedelic lyricist, take Castles Made of Sand as a great example.

And the man wrote some truly incredible melodies. Take your pick.

But it's that Bold As Love blows me away every time. The way that song is constructed is remarkable, when Mitch kicks in at 2:49 and then Jimi flies. Wow.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2009, 12:22 AM)

Great post! goodpost.gif If not for Hendrix, there would have been no Blackmore, Beck, Vai, Malmsteen, etc.

There was even talk of a band with Hendrix, Jack Bruce and Tony Williams which was Williams' idea. Can you imagine what that would have been like? ohmy.gif That band would have made Cream become Sour. rofl3.gif

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 7 2009, 10:22 PM)

goodpost.gif

Hendrix really did have it all - great lyrics, vocals and arrangements, as well as guitar virtuosity.

People tend to think of him as very psychedelic, which naturally he was, but if you listen to 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun,' the double album he was almost finished with when he died and released a few years ago, you see him branching out in a lot of different directions like Treeduck said. He was veering away from overt psychedelic music into music with lots of different influences - straight ahead rock, blues, soul, funk, jazz.

He was becoming much more diverse and one can only imagine how much more great music he would have made if had a little more time. Still, it's amazing how much amazing music he made and what a profound influence he had in a very short period of time...

If I'm in the mood for distorted feed-back driven CRAP... i'll put on a Hendrix album. Oh wait... i've NEVER wasted any money or download effort on anything by Hendrix.

He wouldn't make my top 100. If I had to put a local garage player in the list, I would, before Hendrix. 062802puke_prv.gif

I read an interview with Vai back in the day, and stated something along the lines that " Hendrix was from Venus"...the man was just so ahead of his time, it was insane.

He was so much more than " distorted feedback driven crap"..he used feedback to his advantage, in a very musical way,and without all the rackmount affects that players had later.

I think a lot of us got spoiled listening to all the technical guys that came out much later, and seemed to forget that musical innovation is much more impressive than just ripping up the fretboard.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 8 2009, 01:14 PM)
If I'm in the mood for distorted feed-back driven CRAP... i'll put on a Hendrix album. Oh wait... i've NEVER wasted any money or download effort on anything by Hendrix.

He wouldn't make my top 100. If I had to put a local garage player in the list, I would, before Hendrix. 062802puke_prv.gif

Stop sitting on the fence Necro, tell us how you really feel!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 8 2009, 09:04 AM)
If I'm in the mood for distorted feed-back driven CRAP... i'll put on a Hendrix album.  Oh wait... i've NEVER wasted any money or download effort on anything by Hendrix. 

He wouldn't make my top 100.  If I had to put a local garage player in the list, I would, before Hendrix.  062802puke_prv.gif

yeah, no more sugar coating!

Necro, is it safe to say you hate all things hippie?

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 8 2009, 11:04 AM)
If I'm in the mood for distorted feed-back driven CRAP... i'll put on a Hendrix album.  Oh wait... i've NEVER wasted any money or download effort on anything by Hendrix. 

He wouldn't make my top 100.  If I had to put a local garage player in the list, I would, before Hendrix.  062802puke_prv.gif

Ummm.... yeah. Pretty much so. But it's just because all things hippie SUCK and i'm always right. I can't help that can i? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 8 2009, 10:22 AM)

Ummm.... yeah. Pretty much so. But it's just because all things hippie SUCK and i'm always right. I can't help that can i? tongue.gif

Yeah Chavelle and Marylin Manson rock so much harder than that silly hippie hendrix.

trink38.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 8 2009, 12:52 PM)

Yeah Chavelle and Marylin Manson rock so much harder than that silly hippie hendrix.

yes.gif

Very smart post on your part.

It's all a matter of taste, but i've always been big on not caring about the past. I hated it when my parents couldn't listen to anything modern. I swore I'd never put my kids through that. Music gets better. Musicians get better. For his time... i guess Hendrix was okay. But when you listen to the shredders that I listen to, there's no comparison. Hendrix couldn't even guitar tech for guys like Dime or Kerry King. Not even an argument.

I find fascination with music of the past to be a very odd thing. Can't one of you tell me you jammed along with your parents music. So ask me WHY are you becoming the same, close-minded people you KNEW they were? Let it go. His dying made him more of a legend than had he stayed alive and continued to create the shit that he was cranking out then. He'd have been forgotten about by now had he lived. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 8 2009, 01:11 PM)

yes.gif

It's all a matter of taste, but i've always been big on not caring about the past. I hated it when my parents couldn't listen to anything modern. I swore I'd never put my kids through that. Music gets better. Musicians get better. For his time... i guess Hendrix was okay. But when you listen to the shredders that I listen to, there's no comparison. Hendrix couldn't even guitar tech for guys like Dime or Kerry King. Not even an argument.

I find fascination with music of the past to be a very odd thing. Can't one of you tell me you jammed along with your parents music. So ask me WHY are you becoming the same, close-minded people you KNEW they were? Let it go. His dying made him more of a legend than had he stayed alive and continued to create the shit that he was cranking out then. He'd have been forgotten about by now had he lived. yes.gif

I understand what you are saying, but in that case, in like 20 or 30 years, i wont like Tool, Porcupine tree, Radiohead, Opeth or any other modern band becasue they arent new and the current batch of young guns have taken over. I think as far as technique goes, it's gone as far as it can. Speed alone shouldnt be the only factor in judging a guitarist. Hendrix was a hell of a lot more innovative than Kerry King. If you compared him to someone like Vai or Adrian Belew, yeah, i could go with that.

As you said, all personal taste.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 9 2009, 01:14 AM)

Ummmmm, ok, guess I've heard/seen it all now.

Edited by Steevo

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 8 2009, 12:11 PM)

yes.gif

Um, dude, my mom and I both love Accept, Black Flag, hell, all kinds of metal.

cool.gif what now

QUOTE (southernjim @ Aug 8 2009, 09:59 PM)
  cool.gif  what now

Your post reminds me that I need to get some more Black Flag. So far I've got Family Man (it's pretty good, though I need to listen to it a lot more, though), what should I go with next?

yes.gif

cool.gif what now

I have no idea what you mean. I'm thinking it means your mom is pretty cool and accepts modern (or moderately modern) music and isn't stuck in the "glory days" of her youth. That's cool. But still... i don't know what you're trying to say. Sorry.

I don't get the whole Hendrix thing. If he were doing his shit today, no one would care, so why the hero worship of him now? It's bizarre to me. His "talent" is questionable at best. I'll accept that he was innovative for his time, but he wasn't doing anything that wouldn't have been done by someone else eventually anyway. Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already. So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that".

He died young and let's face it, that made him more of a legend than he'd ever have been, had he lived. Could we really have taken much more of that feedback noise he made? Seriously???

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 9 2009, 12:00 AM)
Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already. So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that".

Don't tell Clapton, Beck and Page he wasn't "all that"! They were in awe of Hendrix!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 9 2009, 04:00 PM)
I don't get the whole Hendrix thing.  If he were doing his shit today, no one would care, so why the hero worship of him now?  It's bizarre to me.  His "talent" is questionable at best.  I'll accept that he was innovative for his time, but he wasn't doing anything that wouldn't have been done by someone else eventually anyway.  Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already.  So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that". 

He died young and let's face it, that made him more of a legend than he'd ever have been, had he lived.  Could we really have taken much more of that feedback noise he made?  Seriously???

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 8 2009, 10:00 PM)

yes.gif

cool.gif what now

I have no idea what you mean. I'm thinking it means your mom is pretty cool and accepts modern (or moderately modern) music and isn't stuck in the "glory days" of her youth. That's cool. But still... i don't know what you're trying to say. Sorry.

I don't get the whole Hendrix thing. If he were doing his shit today, no one would care, so why the hero worship of him now? It's bizarre to me. His "talent" is questionable at best. I'll accept that he was innovative for his time, but he wasn't doing anything that wouldn't have been done by someone else eventually anyway. Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already. So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that".

He died young and let's face it, that made him more of a legend than he'd ever have been, had he lived. Could we really have taken much more of that feedback noise he made? Seriously???

I posted that because you said "Can't one of you tell me you jammed along with your parents music." and it just so happens pretty much everything I listen to was thanks to my parents' influence, one way or another.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 9 2009, 12:23 AM)
Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already.  So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that".

Don't tell Clapton, Beck and Page he wasn't "all that"! They were in awe of Hendrix!

All modest musicians say that shit. You'd hate someone if they told you the truth about how good they think they are. Even Eddy Van Halen would give props to Allan Holdsworth, who Eddy blows away. Not all guitar players have an ego like Yngwie. laugh.gif

But hey... if you want to believe that all that noise and shit that Jimi did is good... go for it. Listen to the few albums he's recorded over and over and over until you're blue in the face. Enjoy. trink39.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 9 2009, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 9 2009, 12:23 AM)
Clapton, Beck, Page and slews of other guitarist were already surpassing Hendrix "prowess" already.  So even among his contemporaries, he wasn't "all that".

All modest musicians say that shit. You'd hate someone if they told you the truth about how good they think they are. Even Eddy Van Halen would give props to Allan Holdsworth, who Eddy blows away. Not all guitar players have an ego like Yngwie. laugh.gif

But hey... if you want to believe that all that noise and shit that Jimi did is good... go for it. Listen to the few albums he's recorded over and over and over until you're blue in the face. Enjoy. trink39.gif

z7shysterical.gif

You are certainly have a "unique" perspective on things. I'll give you that!

laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif spit6ph.gif

QUOTE (southernjim @ Aug 9 2009, 12:47 AM)

yes.gif

cool.gif what now

I posted that because you said "Can't one of you tell me you jammed along with your parents music." and it just so happens pretty much everything I listen to was thanks to my parents' influence, one way or another.

You have relatively younger parents I'm assuming then. And also, don't forget that the group of parents I'm talking about are the ones that witnessed the actual birth of rock and roll. If they weren't quite young at the time (like mine weren't), they never accepted it.

There hasn't been too much of a leap in metal or hard rock from the days of Accept and such to today's metal scene. Except in the way of the growler type of lyrics, it's still pretty much the same music formula. So it's kinda easy for a parent who grew up with Priest or Accept to like today's metal scene. Though because of growlers, I find it hard to do at times.

Now, parents who were young during the hippy days, seem to be just like the older parents I speak of. They hated their parents music, but they couldn't move on with the times and accept the changes in music, as they came along. They still try to claim that their era of "rock" was the best. I can't buy that or get on board with that at all. Most of them were stoned or high on something during that period, which reflects the appreciation for trippy music. Even if they are clean now, they still have that reminiscence feel towards it, which explains the huge success of classic rock stations.

Some music stands the test of time. I still love classic Rush, probably moreso than most of their modern era stuff. I used to be a HUGE Zeppelin fan, but after hearing them enough and not getting any new stuff out of them... they became part of the past for me. Same with Sabbath. I could give a rat's ass if I ever hear Paranoid or Iron Man again, and they are the two songs that created me as a metal-head. I just don't get the holding on to the past aspect of musical appreciation. Not when there is so much great music out there that blows away all the so-called classic greats.

I would much rather listen to synth pop of the 80's over classic rock. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 9 2009, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Aug 9 2009, 12:47 AM)

yes.gif

cool.gif what now

You have relatively younger parents I'm assuming then. And also, don't forget that the group of parents I'm talking about are the ones that witnessed the actual birth of rock and roll. If they weren't quite young at the time (like mine weren't), they never accepted it.

There hasn't been too much of a leap in metal or hard rock from the days of Accept and such to today's metal scene. Except in the way of the growler type of lyrics, it's still pretty much the same music formula. So it's kinda easy for a parent who grew up with Priest or Accept to like today's metal scene. Though because of growlers, I find it hard to do at times.

Now, parents who were young during the hippy days, seem to be just like the older parents I speak of. They hated their parents music, but they couldn't move on with the times and accept the changes in music, as they came along. They still try to claim that their era of "rock" was the best. I can't buy that or get on board with that at all. Most of them were stoned or high on something during that period, which reflects the appreciation for trippy music. Even if they are clean now, they still have that reminiscence feel towards it, which explains the huge success of classic rock stations.

Some music stands the test of time. I still love classic Rush, probably moreso than most of their modern era stuff. I used to be a HUGE Zeppelin fan, but after hearing them enough and not getting any new stuff out of them... they became part of the past for me. Same with Sabbath. I could give a rat's ass if I ever hear Paranoid or Iron Man again, and they are the two songs that created me as a metal-head. I just don't get the holding on to the past aspect of musical appreciation. Not when there is so much great music out there that blows away all the so-called classic greats.

I would much rather listen to synth pop of the 80's over classic rock. laugh.gif

So i should cancel that Lava Lamp i was going to be bring too the TRF Christmas swap this year?