Jimi Hendrix

Earthshine

I always loved Jimi Hendrix music and playing. What an innovator! The guy was probably the most natural guitar player ever.

Check out these clips.

I NEVER saw this one before but love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fS8pHaFv0&feature=related

This was filmed at the famous Marquee 90 Wardour St. London W1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls71qQYKx_Y

No video for this one, but just listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt4ENW8FZYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSW67ySCio&feature=related

This is him at some of his finest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTSPx7dNBE&feature=related

The Beatles never did it live but Jimi did! rofl3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_Kip3FP0Q

Check out Mitch Mitchell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9lvQbuwps&feature=related

Here is Jimi's tribute to Cream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3cKLWQimE&feature=related

He is one of the reasons I think that Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are so overrated. Hendrix was so humble that even he would disagree with me on that, but Hendrix could not be touched back then. Page, Clapton, Beck, Townshend, Blackmore...they all knew it.

Edited by Earthshine

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 5 2009, 05:45 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 5 2009, 04:03 AM)
I think that Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are so overrated.

You had me until here. spit6ph.gif

Aye...

they're not overrated, they're just GREAT!

I agree with the Duck. Elvis, The Beatles and the Stones are great.

Jimi Hendrix is the GREATEST!!!!!!

Sometimes my split personality comes out and I think that SRV was a bit better then Jimi The Master but then I get put back in my place.

My wife Wendy has to put up with my constant music attack every night. Talk about true love.

Anyway she would rather hear SRV over Hendrix. She likes that cleaner Stevie sound.

I will say this. Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only guitar player in the world who could cover a Jimi Hendrix song and do it right.

Sincerely,

"Couldn't Stand The Weather" th1245.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 6 2009, 06:02 PM)
I will say this. Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only guitar player in the world who could cover a Jimi Hendrix song and do it right.

I think Eric Johnson is on par with SRV when it comes to covering Hendrix tunes.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 6 2009, 06:40 PM)
I will say this.  Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only guitar player in the world who could cover a Jimi Hendrix song and do it right.

I think Eric Johnson is on par with SRV when it comes to covering Hendrix tunes.

I agree. Hendrix was the king though.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 6 2009, 04:40 PM)
I will say this.  Stevie Ray Vaughan was the only guitar player in the world who could cover a Jimi Hendrix song and do it right.

Dude, now that's a great call.

I can't argue that. I too am a huge EJ fan.

I've seen him play four times now. That includes the first G3 concert.

Anyway you hit the nail on the head.

The last tour he did I saw a show at the American Music Hall in SF.

The cool thing about that tour was that he alternated encore set lists every other night.

Wendy and I were there for the Hendrix set and he was smokin' hot.

The other set is a SRV encore.

Damn, I wanted to see him again up in Petaluma the night before.

I would have seen both sets! fists crying.gif

I think we have talked about this before on here but where the heck is that new EJ album?

I heard new songs during that tour!!!!

WTF??????

Jimi

Stevie

Eric

Done.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 6 2009, 09:52 PM)

The cool thing about that tour was that he alternated encore set lists every other night.

I think we have talked about this before on here but where the heck is that new EJ album?

WTF??????

Jimi

Stevie

Eric

Done.

I too have seen EJ 4 times. twice on the ah via musicom tour, front row center for venus isle and most recently for bloom.

i just read the disc is finished and is now being mixed.

i was checking out some videos with EJ from the Hendrix Experience Tour he did last year. i guess since mitch died thats not going to happen again

i had never seen EJ play a steel guitar before-

I always like the hendrix covers by the red hot chile peppers too!

on an unrelated note- i saw a bunch of Y&T dates in CA on pollstar.com.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 6 2009, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 6 2009, 09:52 PM)

WTF??????

Jimi

Stevie

Eric

Done.

I too have seen EJ 4 times. twice on the ah via musicom tour, front row center for venus isle and most recently for bloom.

i just read the disc is finished and is now being mixed.

i was checking out some videos with EJ from the Hendrix Experience Tour he did last year. i guess since mitch died thats not going to happen again

i had never seen EJ play a steel guitar before-

I always like the hendrix covers by the red hot chile peppers too!

on an unrelated note- i saw a bunch of Y&T dates in CA on pollstar.com.

Tangy!

I have to admit that I may be over the top with some of my threads on here but I am really glad to be back! I keep taking risks on topics in here and it's paying off!

You can never know everything about music. I will keep on learning until I die!!

Incredible version by EJ! Anything but the Bob Dylan original. LOL!

Thanks, now I have the EJG3 VIRUS.

I have to put some on now!

Signed,

"Cliffs Of Dover"

I have always thought Hendrix was very over rated. Yes he was good but not great. A lot of the 'flashy' stuff he did Pete Townshend has been doing years before him. I much prefer SRV to Jimi, I personally think that he was a better.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Aug 6 2009, 09:10 PM)
I have always thought Hendrix was very over rated. Yes he was good but not great. A lot of the 'flashy' stuff he did Pete Townshend has been doing years before him. I much prefer SRV to Jimi, I personally think that he was a better.

Nice. I will make sure to tell that to my wife.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Aug 6 2009, 11:10 PM)
I have always thought Hendrix was very over rated. Yes he was good but not great. A lot of the 'flashy' stuff he did Pete Townshend has been doing years before him.

The antics maybe, but that Hendrix sound? Compared to what everyone else was doing at the time, Jimi's stuff was otherworldly!

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 7 2009, 12:43 AM)
I have always thought Hendrix was very over rated.  Yes he was good but not great.  A lot of the 'flashy' stuff he did Pete Townshend has been doing years before him.

The antics maybe, but that Hendrix sound? Compared to what everyone else was doing at the time, Jimi's stuff was otherworldly!

I also think that Hendrix soloed a lot better and played melodies much better than Townshend ever did. Townshend is a very underrated guitarist and I can understand your point of view.

I am sure you know about the argument they had as to who was going to follow Who at Monterrey Pop 1967. They both had a lot of respect for one another.

I wouldn't call Hendrix the king of rock and roll only because there have been just too many musical geniuses to single him out for that title. I would say he is the king of the electric guitar and an innovator who's influence is immeasurable.

The Beatles were completely brilliant. I also love the Stones.

I personally have no love for Elvis, but would never deny his enormous influence.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 7 2009, 08:24 AM)
I wouldn't call Hendrix the king of rock and roll only because there have been just too many musical geniuses to single him out for that title. I would say he is the king of the electric guitar and an innovator who's influence is immeasurable.

The Beatles were completely brilliant. I also love the Stones.

I personally have no love for Elvis, but would never deny his enormous influence.

goodpost.gif

Sums it up for me, except I find the Stones to be just OK. Afew songs got me, but not enough for me to get into them.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 7 2009, 04:07 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 7 2009, 12:43 AM)
I have always thought Hendrix was very over rated.  Yes he was good but not great.  A lot of the 'flashy' stuff he did Pete Townshend has been doing years before him.

I also think that Hendrix soloed a lot better and played melodies much better than Townshend ever did. Townshend is a very underrated guitarist and I can understand your point of view.

I am sure you know about the argument they had as to who was going to follow Who at Monterrey Pop 1967. They both had a lot of respect for one another.

Townshend is a great songwiter - maybe unparallelled in rock. As a soloist, great passion.

Jimi was a great improviser, especially when it came to solos. And there is no doubt that he kind of changed the way a lot of people looked at the guitar. I think a lot of why people think he was so great it because of the time he came around. The 'canvas' was blank, so to speak. There simply weren't many people to compete with at the time.

all in all I still think he is and was over rated. But still good.

I actually think Jimi is underrated as a song writer, people tend to jut think of him a a typical blues song writer but he had some clever lyrics and wrote pop songs, psychadelic stuff, funk and soul songs and created a new blend of all of these elements. His tunes were and are amazingly good.

As a guitarist I think for his era 1966-1970 he was WAY ahead of his time. He had the blues sensibilities of people like Lightning Hopkins and Muddy Waters, some of the jazz stylings of Wes Montgomery combined with the 70s rock flash of Jeff Beck before Jeff Beck was really Jeff Beck and Blackmore before Blackmore was Blackmore etc. He was sort of like Steve Vai was between 1986-1990 in terms of how he was regarded by people and he had that kind of guitar IQ. In actuality though it's the other way around and Vai was the nearest thing to a Hendrix of his era. Vai has even copped a few licks of Jimi's, and of all guitarists out there Hendrix is the one that Vai has based himself on most. This should tell you all you need to know.

Some idiots try to compare Jimi as he was then to some 21st century technical player, who is backed by modern production values and say "look at this, Hendrix is overrated" not realising the guy probably wouldn't even exist as a guitarist at all if it weren't for Hendrix and he still can't truly outplay him even with a 40 year jump in technical progress in his favour.