Is Moving Pictures overrated?

Rushman14

125 members have voted

1. 1. Is Moving Pictures overrated?

• Hell No
    • Yes

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 25 2009, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 25 2009, 04:46 PM)
I mean Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, and Limelight...that's just freakin' ridiculous 20 minutes!

Tru dat.

I can't think of 4 songs off of one album that have gotten more concert play.

"Yours Is No Disgrace", "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People", and "Clap" have been in most Yes setlists since 1970. wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM)
I mean Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, and Limelight...that's just freakin' ridiculous 20 minutes!

Tru dat.

I can't think of 4 songs off of one Rush album that have gotten more concert play.

"Yours Is No Disgrace", "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People", and "Clap" have been in most Yes setlists since 1970. wink.gif

Corrected for those among us choosing to be smartalecks today. cool.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM)

Tru dat.

I can't think of 4 songs off of one album that have gotten more concert play.

Fragile is a great album but I am so sick of Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround... 062802puke_prv.gif

Fragile is over-rated anymore. I used to love that album.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 25 2009, 03:30 PM)

Fragile is a great album but I am so sick of Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround... 062802puke_prv.gif

ohmy.gif Don't make me start another poll!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 25 2009, 06:31 PM)

Don't even get me going on Dark Side of the Moon... 062802puke_prv.gif

There is a good reason I stopped listening to Classic Rock stations.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 25 2009, 03:33 PM)

well, I will agree if I never hear Roundabout or Money ever again, it'll be too soon.

Come on.... wtf.gif

No and anyone who thinks it is needs to rethink their posts.

Also, since when do radio-hits make an album any better or worse? You're sick of a song so the album is overrated now? Please.

Here's a tip.

DON'T LISTEN TO THE RADIO

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 25 2009, 06:33 PM)

Thanks to the radio stations I've been listening to for years, as well as "fans" who only know a few songs by an artist, I'm sick of "Freebird", "Sweet Home Alabama", and "What's Your Name". Apparently those are the only songs Lynyrd Skynyrd ever made. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 25 2009, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 25 2009, 06:33 PM)

Thanks to the radio stations I've been listening to for years, as well as "fans" who only know a few songs by an artist, I'm sick of "Freebird", "Sweet Home Alabama", and "What's Your Name". Apparently those are the only songs Lynyrd Skynyrd ever made. sarcasm.gif

Ooh, can't forget "That Smell".

Classic Skynyrd.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 25 2009, 07:26 PM)

Also, since when do radio-hits make an album any better or worse? You're sick of a song so the album is overrated now? Please.
Here's a tip.

It has nothing to do with being overplayed for me. I simply don't think it's that special an album. The only song on it that is among my Rush favourites is YYZ. I did come to like Red Barchetta after many years and several killer performances of it on last year's tour, and the other songs on the record range from listenable to enjoyable in the car, but there's nothing else on it that is indispensable for me, nothing else on it that I ever get a specific yen to listen to.

I had a copy of Moving Pictures long before I became a proper Rush fan, and the fact that I had been told by so many that it was "the best," "the classic," "the essential," "the quintessential" Rush album is part of what kept me from really exploring Rush for many years. I felt that if that album and the songs of theirs I'd heard on the radio represented their very best work, I wasn't missing much. I'm glad I discovered that I was wrong about that, and I like Moving Pictures somewhat better than I used to, but I just don't think it's ever going to represent those superlatives for me that it does for other Rush fans.

To each our own!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jun 25 2009, 05:04 PM)
I simply don't think it's that special an album. The only song on it that is among my Rush favourites is YYZ. I did come to like Red Barchetta after many years and several killer performances of it on last year's tour, and the other songs on the record range from listenable to enjoyable in the car, but there's nothing else on it that is indispensable for me, nothing else on it that I ever get a specific yen to listen to.

I had a copy of Moving Pictures long before I became a proper Rush fan, and the fact that I had been told by so many that it was "the best," "the classic," "the essential," "the quintessential" Rush album is part of what kept me from really exploring Rush for many years. I felt that if that album and the songs of theirs I'd heard on the radio represented their very best work, I wasn't missing much. I'm glad I discovered that I was wrong about that, and I like Moving Pictures somewhat better than I used to, but I just don't think it's ever going to represent those superlatives for me that it does for other Rush fans.

To each our own!

my eyes, my eyes!

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Jun 25 2009, 05:16 PM)
Moving Pictures is utter magic in the form of a compact disc.

Just imagine how much more magical it was when it came in the form of a vinyl record.

biggrin.gif

I think this was said above, but as the day goes on my ability to understand the written word becomes less and less, so here goes:

I think that for those who are nutty Rush fans (I use the term nutty with all love and respect here) MP may be overrated as the nutty Rush fan knows how much more there is to Rush before and after MP.

For the casual or fair weathered Rush fan MP is not overrated as they think it's the best the band has to offer and it generates radio play still today. Granted it's certainly got a lot to offer, the drum work alone makes it a classic start to finish in my book. Those that listen to and are immersed in the entire Rush catalog know that it a great record, but we also know they've given us a lot more great stuff than just MP.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 26 2009, 11:26 AM)

Here's a tip.

Exactly yes.gif

One sure way to put someone off a masterpiece...which DSOTM undeniably is.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 25 2009, 03:17 PM)
Look, it's EASY to pin-point a band's most popular record as overrated. You can do that with Kiss's Destroyer too. And let's face it, MP is Rush's most widely popular LP. Frankly it's not even close because mostly it's older diehards (and prog fans) who own 2112. MP was and remains a more widely accessible album. It's more mainstream...has shorter, more radio-friendly songs, contains their all-time most-well-known tune, etc.

Still and all there's often a REASON it's so widely admired beyond being a "darling." Now that may not jive with your own tastes, fine enough. You like Coke, I dig Pepsi...so be it. But I think it's generally safe to say that Moving Pictures is only overrated in your own mind, much like nice tits are overrated...or a Porsche Carrera is overrated. You're a legs man...or you dig a Maserati instead. Cool.

But Moving Pictures is still the bomb-digity. That's as close to FACT as it gets when discussing Rush-related "opinion." I'll stand by it too. We'll always quibble about the merits of Vapor Trails and Counterparts, but not Moving Pictures. Not really...

trink39.gif

Post of the year. laugh.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 25 2009, 02:17 PM)
Look, it's EASY to pin-point a band's most popular record as overrated. You can do that with Kiss's Destroyer too. And let's face it, MP is Rush's most widely popular LP. Frankly it's not even close because mostly it's older diehards (and prog fans) who own 2112. MP was and remains a more widely accessible album. It's more mainstream...has shorter, more radio-friendly songs, contains their all-time most-well-known tune, etc.

Still and all there's often a REASON it's so widely admired beyond being a "darling." Now that may not jive with your own tastes, fine enough. You like Coke, I dig Pepsi...so be it. But I think it's generally safe to say that Moving Pictures is only overrated in your own mind, much like nice tits are overrated...or a Porsche Carrera is overrated. You're a legs man...or you dig a Maserati instead. Cool.

But Moving Pictures is still the bomb-digity. That's as close to FACT as it gets when discussing Rush-related "opinion." I'll stand by it too. We'll always quibble about the merits of Vapor Trails and Counterparts, but not Moving Pictures. Not really...

trink39.gif

A band's most popular - in sales terms album - seldom coincides with their best work, and MP is no exception. It may be a competent and reasonably cohesive album, but sure as eggs is eggs it ain't Rush at their best.

I remember to this day how flat I felt after first hearing MP, where was anything of the caliber of TSoR? Freewill? Xanadu? LVS? The Trees? Circumstances? By-Tor? Working Man????? Answer - missing.

Still you gotta admire the sheep.

Honestly, no way. MP, PeW, Hemispheres, 2112, Kings.. all classic albums.

Plus you know it has to be good if the only songs the radio ever plays from Rush are from either MP or PeW!

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 25 2009, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 26 2009, 11:26 AM)

Here's a tip.

Exactly yes.gif

One sure way to put someone off a masterpiece...which DSOTM undeniably is.

Well, I can see that point, but really, if I hear another cut from DSotM, it'll be too soon.

Funny, though, as much as I have listened to AFtK and Hemispheres, I'm still not sick of them. Are they masterpieces? I guess it's by whose standards that can be determined.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 25 2009, 06:48 PM)
Granted it's certainly got a lot to offer, the drum work alone makes it a classic start to finish in my book.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this album, side one especially, and listened and focused JUST on Neil's drumming. Not only is it exemplary of crystal clear production, but just phenomenal drumming. It really is a marvel to listen to, and that's not even considering the amazing bass, guitar, singing and the entire package. Peerless songs...