Name an obscure album that you wish...

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 27 2009, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 27 2009, 07:13 AM)
Tori Amos (FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL) = her very best; just dig in

I could never get into Choirgirl, Pele has always been my favorite Tori album.

I always wish more people knew of Sky Cries Mary. "This Timeless Turning" was them at their best.

Choirgirl is very good, but it's hard to compare - Pele is such a colossal and introspective record (Choirgirl is much more of a 'band' record)

I love them both

but hey; who wants to talk Amos when you've mentioned one of the most brilliantly obscure/obscurely brilliant bands to ever float out of Seattle:

SKY CRIES MARY!?!!

I had the pleasure to catch them on tour four times - the 1st night had them opening for Shriekback w/Mike Cozzi doing double duty, playing guitar in both bands - '92 or '93 I believe

'This Timeless Turning' remains one of the finest prog-pop-neopsych records in existence, and still receives nothing but "wow! what is this?" responses from most everyone I play it for

'Don't Forget The Sky' is the hit single that should've been

'4:00am' is the best song Pink Floyd never wrote (and also, everything good about 14 minute-long ambient songs)

heart.gif

[and trust me, VS - we'll be the only two members who've ever heard of them wink.gif ]

http://www.skycriesmary.com/images/38-timeless.gif

SCM - This Timeless Turning MP3's

QUOTE (MCM @ May 27 2009, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 26 2009, 08:27 PM)
Wolfmother ruled!!! and Im pissed that they broke up.

any Thin Lizzy album besides 'Jailbreak'

The Darkness- Permission to Land
Hot Leg- Red Light Fever
Social Distortion- Social Distortion

Wolfmother broke up?!?!? I did not know that, I've got some of their stuff on some samplers and liked it very much.

Permission to Land was a very fun disc. I've not heard anything from Hot Leg yet, is it the same style as The Darkness?

Yea they broke up like a year ago I think. It was a good album.

If you liked The Darkness then you will like Hot Leg. It sounds more like The Darkness then the Stone Gods. so if you liked TD then I suggest you pick up 'Red Light Fever' great album.

Edited by Xanadude69

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 28 2009, 05:10 AM)

Hot Leg- Red Light Fever

Wolfmother broke up?!?!? I did not know that, I've got some of their stuff on some samplers and liked it very much.

Permission to Land was a very fun disc. I've not heard anything from Hot Leg yet, is it the same style as The Darkness?

If you liked The Darkness then you will like Hot Leg. It sounds more like The Darkness then the Stone Gods. so if you liked TD then I suggest you pick up 'Red Light Fever' great album.

I loved the Darkness so much, but I always thought their rhythm section sucked. Is Hot Leg better in this respect?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 27 2009, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 27 2009, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 27 2009, 07:13 AM)
Tori Amos (FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL) = her very best; just dig in

I could never get into Choirgirl, Pele has always been my favorite Tori album.

I always wish more people knew of Sky Cries Mary. "This Timeless Turning" was them at their best.

Choirgirl is very good, but it's hard to compare - Pele is such a colossal and introspective record (Choirgirl is much more of a 'band' record)

I love them both

but hey; who wants to talk Amos when you've mentioned one of the most brilliantly obscure/obscurely brilliant bands to ever float out of Seattle:

SKY CRIES MARY!?!!

I had the pleasure to catch them on tour four times - the 1st night had them opening for Shriekback w/Mike Cozzi doing double duty, playing guitar in both bands - '92 or '93 I believe

'This Timeless Turning' remains one of the finest prog-pop-neopsych records in existence, and still receives nothing but "wow! what is this?" responses from most everyone I play it for

'Don't Forget The Sky' is the hit single that should've been

'4:00am' is the best song Pink Floyd never wrote (and also, everything good about 14 minute-long ambient songs)

heart.gif

[and trust me, VS - we'll be the only two members who've ever heard of them wink.gif ]

http://www.skycriesmary.com/images/38-timeless.gif

SCM - This Timeless Turning MP3's

I get the exact same response from people that I have played SCM for!! I know that they reunited briefly, but I don't know if it went anywhere. I used to have Ben's email (drummer) and we exchanged a number of emails after Timeless Turning came out. He was a really nice guy and made like them even more. "Don't Forget The Sky" is magic, pure and simple and I can't agree more about "4:00 a.m.". "Every Iceburg Is Afire" and "Scapegoat" are also on the top of my list.

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ May 28 2009, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 28 2009, 05:10 AM)

Hot Leg- Red Light Fever

I loved the Darkness so much, but I always thought their rhythm section sucked. Is Hot Leg better in this respect?

Yes, Hot Legs rhythm section is better. Samuel SJ Stokes on bass and Darby Tod on drums. couple of unknowns really. But they are a bit better then Ed and Frankie/Richie from the Darkness.

I'll make a separate thread for Hot Leg

Some heavy bands from the Boston area to check out that never really broke open but were all quite unique.....were around in the 90s mostly.

Scissorfight

6l6

Quintane Americana

Sam Black Church

Honkeyball

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ May 28 2009, 10:25 AM)
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Steve Hackett - Darktown

'Free Hand' is the shizzy, no dizzy. I am not familiar with the Hackett title, but since I'm already naming obscure 'solo' discs from members of very popular bands, I will use this as an opp. to seque into Genesis.

There are a few, relatively unknown albums that can be seen a 'missing' Genesis albums. One, most definitely, is Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte (1975). This is the guitarist's first solo venture, sounding very much like the Genesis of 76-77, and featuring both Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford. Excellent stuff. Another missing Genesis album is Anthony Phillips' The Geese and the Ghost (1977). Phillips was the original Genesis guitarist, who was replaced by Hackett after the Trespass album. His neo-classical guitar style is similiar to Hackett's playing, and the album cited here is somewhat reminiscent of Trespass-era Genesis. Very fine indeed.

There's also two more albums which can be viewed as 'missing' Genesis material. Two other recordings which are virtually unknown to the masses. Many think of Phil Collins as the sappy balladeer and silly Pop songster that the guy obviously was in the 80's. But, in the 1970's he was all about pure musicianship, splitting his time between prog-giant Genesis, and Fusion ensemble, Brand X. Collins' unmistakable drumwork and signature writing style is evident all over Brand X's Product (1979), with tracks like 'Don't Make Waves' and '...And So To F...' sounding very much like Fusion renditions of Genesis material. Really great album.

Then, finally, there's Tony Banks' A Curious Feeling (1979). Just like with the Hackett title cited above, this Banks effort is closest in vision to the collective compositions coming from the entire band during the same period. The songs, 'The Waters of Lethe' and 'Somebody Else's Dream' are indistinguishable from the material he was writing with Phil, Mike and Steve. The four works mentioned here are very much essential to those who love Genesis. And, all four are quite obscure when compared to Duke or The Lamb.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 27 2009, 10:36 PM)

What's Pulp and Black Tide all about? I know Mother Love Bone from my prior Seattle, WA fascination. I don't remember the album being called Apple though....Ah, I see now. It was later renamed as a self-titled album. I actually just started to appreciate this band's music.

Pulp goes into the BritPop category, I had the album wrong, it's called Different Class.

Without looking it up, Black Tide was/is a bunch of youngsters from Florida, I think.. best way to explain is Vince Neil as the singer for Metallica... not that they sound like Metallica, bit it's a bit heavy (compared to mainstream) and the singer has a young Vince quality to his voice. I got the disc last summer and havent heard another thing about them.

I've also got two other MLB discs which are comprised of outtakes, remixes, remasters, retooling etc of the Apple songs plus a couple of unreleased tunes. Too bad Wood could not win the battle with Heroin, I heard at the time that he had been clean for awhile then fell off the wagon and took the fatal dose.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 28 2009, 12:10 AM)

Hot Leg- Red Light Fever

Now that I'm employed again and can feed my cd addiction, I will pick this one up, it was on my couriosity list anyways.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 27 2009, 04:41 AM)
Oceansize - Frames

I recently got into this band a few weeks ago. I've listened to Effloresce, Everyone into Position, and Frames, all of which are excellent. "Unfamiliar" from Frames is one of the hottest songs I've heard in a long time. Really tight track. Hope to see more from these guys in the future.

The Twilight - Tempest in a Teapot

They're a local Cleveland band, so the chances of anyone knowing of them is rather slim. I found out about them when they opened for Fiction Plane at The Agora last year. The show was excellent, and I ended up buying their album after the gig. Great album to listen to on a sunny summer day, really easy on the ears. You can preview a few songs and find out more about the album on their MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/thetwilightcleveland

Check it out. Hope you dig it. trink39.gif

Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

Planxty - Planxty

John Jacob Niles - I Wonder As I Wander

Trees - On The Shore

Bruford - One Of A Kind

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs

A House - I Am The Greatest

Dick Gaughan - Handful of Earth

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

Taste - On The Boards

EDIT:

St Etienne - So Tough

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 27 2009, 03:33 PM)
Regarding my choice of Utopia's album RA, I think I have seen maybe one person who knew about that album on this forum. It's probably the rarest album in my collection.

i had that album as a teenager

need to pick it up again

Probably Midnight Oil's 10-1 album from 1982. One of their best, and outside of Australia I don't think most people have heard of it.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 28 2009, 12:04 PM)
Some heavy bands from the Boston area to check out that never really broke open but were all quite unique.....were around in the 90s mostly.

Scissorfight
6l6
Quintane Americana
Sam Black Church
Honkeyball

I can't believe you left out 'Only Living Witness' !?!?

http://www.reflectionsrecords.com/records/img/news/articles/olw-cover.jpg

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 29 2009, 08:28 AM)
Probably Midnight Oil's 10-1 album from 1982. One of their best, and outside of Australia I don't think most people have heard of it.

"Red Sails In The Sunset" was always my favorite Midnight Oil album.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 28 2009, 07:16 PM)
Captain Beyond's self-titled debut, Wishbone Ash - Argus, the first 3 Blue Oyster Cult albums, Syd Barrett, Grace Slick & the Great Society(live album)

That' strange. I wrote a Wishbone Ash thread last night. I love "Argus."

I like Captain Beyond too.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 29 2009, 04:06 PM)
Dilate- Ani DiFranco

I like this album very much, but it's way too long a listen. Yeah, it's nitpicking.

Edited by ReRushed