Name an obscure album that you wish...

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 07:52 PM)

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist.  Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one.  A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings. 

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse.  I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff.  But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

I'm with you on this one!

Well, then maybe it's not as obscure as I think. That's two people already who have come out in support of that album.

3rded.

Here are a few:

Guano Apes (PROUD LIKE A GOD) = excellent record; take a chance

Kiss (CARNIVAL OF SOULS) = very heavy; very good

Porcupine Tree (LIGHTBULB SUN) = I subscribe to the notion that still too many people don't know this band

Fleetwood Mac (BEHIND THE MASK) = No Lindsay? No problem

Vinnie Vincent Invasion (INVASION & ALL SYSTEMS GO) = VV is an underrated songwriter; ignore his looks and listen

Bruce Dickinson (CHEMICAL WEDDING) = one of the all-time great metal albums

Tori Amos (FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL) = her very best; just dig in

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 26 2009, 08:27 PM)
Wolfmother ruled!!! and Im pissed that they broke up.

any Thin Lizzy album besides 'Jailbreak'

The Darkness- Permission to Land
Hot Leg- Red Light Fever
Social Distortion- Social Distortion

I did read that Wolfmother is being retooled. While getting new members, they will be having a new album coming out.

Also, they will be a 4 piece rather than a 3 piece. My listening experience tells me this is not a step in the right direction.

Obscure (though not to this board) albums the public should know:

Rush - Caress Of Steel

Yes - Relayer

Black Crowes - Warpaint

Gov't Mule - Live With A Little Help From My Friends (collectors edition)

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 27 2009, 07:13 AM)
Tori Amos (FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL) = her very best; just dig in

I could never get into Choirgirl, Pele has always been my favorite Tori album.

I always wish more people knew of Sky Cries Mary. "This Timeless Turning" was them at their best.

QUOTE (rotting @ May 27 2009, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2009, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 26 2009, 07:52 PM)

One such recording is Witchcraft's The Alchemist.  Amazingly accessible and catchy retro songwriting abounds all over the place on this one.  A really solid and significant outing from this Swedish organization who built up to this level of craft with the trial-and-error experimentation of their first two offerings. 

A little Proggy, a little Doomy, but more than a little listenable, Witchcraft's The Alchemist kicks arse.  I have no doubt that if this recording was given the same level of media and record company support, that it would have blown up as big as the Wolfmother stuff.  But, it was mishandled, and now, only a fraction of the people know about it. If you like music somewhere in the realm of Wolfmother and The White Stripes, but just a tad darker and proggier, then the last Witchcraft joint is for you, friend.

I'm with you on this one!

Well, then maybe it's not as obscure as I think. That's two people already who have come out in support of that album.

3rded.

Well, then, Witchcraft's The Alchemist's did fairly well. I can't get enough of that early, Roots-of-Heavy-Metal sound. If you're one who really digs this kinda thing, then you should pay attention to my other picks. That's the kick that I'm on at present and many of the things I listen to have that gritty guitar sound. I already mentioned the Atomic Rooster album. Rainbow's Rising is absolutely essential. As is Trapeze's Medusa. Four Judas Priest albums in a row are just awesome and essential to that formative Metal sound. Rocka Rolla (1974), Sad Wings of Destiny (1976), Sin After Sin (1976) and Stained Class (1978). You might not think of Judas Priest as being obscure, but whenever anyone thinks of them, they instantly think of 80's Priest. Yet, all the good stuff, the real Metal, was done in the 70's. And, not many folks are even aware that the band has a 70's catalog.

Regarding my choice of Utopia's album RA, I think I have seen maybe one person who knew about that album on this forum. It's probably the rarest album in my collection.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Bad_Brains_debut.jpg

obscure - yet one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Coney Hatch - self titled (1982)

Big Sugar - Heated (1998)

Thin Lizzy - Renegade (1981)

Limblifter - self titled (1996)

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 27 2009, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 27 2009, 02:58 PM)

Wanna give us a slight idea about this stuff? The Limblifter too. What kinda music?

The answers are right at your fingertips.......

Get to work!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 27 2009, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 27 2009, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 27 2009, 02:58 PM)

Wanna give us a slight idea about this stuff? The Limblifter too. What kinda music?

The answers are right at your fingertips.......

Get to work!

Awww, ya gonna be like that, bro? lol. Ya gotta stir some interest fer me.

I want to tell all those who have assembled here today that they don't need to listen to monotonous, sub-par music any longer. I am here. I am here to steer ya'll right. And, the right way to travel is apparently in a north by northeasterly direction. I'm just reading what the GPS says. And, we do not question its supreme wisdom.

The Who is obviously not an Obscure Band by any means, by any stretch of the ol' 'magnation. Yet, how many folks know about the works of one John Entwistle? Right now, I want to share with ya'll some side projects of Huge Bands that are most deserving of inclusion in that band's discography proper.

Firstly, the two initial Entwistle outings. Xanadude69, are you already familiar? I'm talking about John Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against The Wall (1971) and John Entwistle's Whistle Rhymes (1972). Simply just awesome. Just when Townshend was reaching the heights of his songwriting prowess, John was doing the same. But, since Pete's was a heckuva lot more accessible and more commercial, his output completely overshadowed John's. But, if you're already familiar with The Who's version of 'Heaven and Hell' and 'My Wife', then you have a fair idea of what these two Entwistle sessions were all about. Great songwriting from a Bassist's perspective. These two albums are practically unknown when compared to Who's Next and Tommy.

http://www.pweination.org/images/98/large/1.jpg

1. 04:07 Ich Bin Ein Auslander

2. 03:24 Kick To Kill

3. 04:06 Familus Horribilus

4. 03:58 Underbelly

5. 03:17 Fatman

6. 03:38 Home

7. 04:59 Cape Connection

8. 06:26 Menofearthereaper

9. 04:20 Everything's Cool

10.03:35 R.S.V.P.

11.05:06 Babylon

another obscurity thats a 10/10 - check this tech/pop/rock masterpiece

QUOTE (rotting @ May 27 2009, 07:02 PM)
http://www.pweination.org/images/98/large/1.jpg

1. 04:07 Ich Bin Ein Auslander
2. 03:24 Kick To Kill
3. 04:06 Familus Horribilus
4. 03:58 Underbelly
5. 03:17 Fatman
6. 03:38 Home
7. 04:59 Cape Connection
8. 06:26 Menofearthereaper
9. 04:20 Everything's Cool
10.03:35 R.S.V.P.
11.05:06 Babylon

another obscurity thats a 10/10 - check this tech/pop/rock masterpiece

Agreed, great band and album. I got into those guys because of a video game soundtrack when I was a kid. Clint's film scores are great too.

QUOTE (rotting @ May 27 2009, 06:48 PM)
the most evil music on the planet http://www.myspace.com/evilbeaver

I heard The Footmacist, Superbird, Year of the Cookie and Our Garden. They got a Punky, Indie, Lo-Fi vibe to them. Nice. Indeed I dig the sound of the Bass and Guitars here. And, no rotting carcasses anywhere to be found. lol.

I mentioned the first two Entwistle albums on the previous page. Can't mention those two outings without thinking of Chris Squire and his one and only recording, done at the height of his and his band's progressive songwriting prowess. Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water (1975) is an integral part of the Yes discography. But, nobody, except for hardcore Yes-heads know about it. The album was done in 1975 when the band took a year off to put together their respective solo projects. The other one worth making mention of is Jon Anderson's Olias Of Sunhillow (1976) These are the two missing YES albums. Obscure, yet highly entertaining.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ May 27 2009, 07:52 AM)
I did read that Wolfmother is being retooled. While getting new members, they will be having a new album coming out.

Also, they will be a 4 piece rather than a 3 piece. My listening experience tells me this is not a step in the right direction.

I somewhat agree. Wolfmother's drummer was very solid and their bassist/organist was just awesome! love that distorted organ! So it will be bad to not have them in the band anymore.

But Andrew didn't sound too good playing guitar and singing at the same time live. So maybe adding a 4th member will help.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 27 2009, 05:12 PM)
Firstly, the two initial Entwistle outings. Xanadude69, are you already familiar? I'm talking about John Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against The Wall (1971) and John Entwistle's Whistle Rhymes (1972). Simply just awesome. Just when Townshend was reaching the heights of his songwriting prowess, John was doing the same. But, since Pete's was a heckuva lot more accessible and more commercial, his output completely overshadowed John's. But, if you're already familiar with The Who's version of 'Heaven and Hell' and 'My Wife', then you have a fair idea of what these two Entwistle sessions were all about. Great songwriting from a Bassist's perspective. These two albums are practically unknown when compared to Who's Next and Tommy.

'Smash Your Head against the Wall' is great!!! and unfortunately I have only heard one or two songs from 'Whistle Ryhmes'. I don't know whats been stopping me from getting that album.

By no means am I an authority on Punk Rock. Don't even like it much at all. It was actually my vocal disdain for the music that prompted someone on the net to point me towards this next outing. The Refused's The Shape Of Punk To Come (1998) is by far the smartest Punk album that I've personally ever come across. If there was anything that could be classified as Progressive Punk, this would be it. It's got that Punk sound, but is WAY more experimental and ambitious than the average Punk-Pop garbage that is so popular today. I just found out that they were a Swedish band, and that makes total sense because I've loved so much which comes outta that country. Real smart, ambitious stuff. And, obscure as far as I'm concerned. Check it son.

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist:refused

Refused

Edited by naturalsciences101

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 26 2009, 08:27 PM)
Wolfmother ruled!!! and Im pissed that they broke up.

any Thin Lizzy album besides 'Jailbreak'

The Darkness- Permission to Land
Hot Leg- Red Light Fever
Social Distortion- Social Distortion

Wolfmother broke up?!?!? I did not know that, I've got some of their stuff on some samplers and liked it very much.

Permission to Land was a very fun disc. I've not heard anything from Hot Leg yet, is it the same style as The Darkness?

I wish more people loved as much as I do:

Blackmore's Night - Under a Velvet Moon

Pulp - Common People

Mother Love Bone - Apple

I also enjoyed that Black Tide disc, a bunch of young kids out of Florida I think.. probably have gone their separate ways by now.

QUOTE (MCM @ May 27 2009, 09:42 PM)
Blackmore's Night - Under a Velvet Moon
Pulp - Common People
Mother Love Bone - Apple
Black Tide

Blackmore's Night is definitely outside of the mainstream. Ritchie went in a completely different direction from his Purple/Rainbow days when he married that Renaissance-style vocalist. I saw a live concert of theirs on Public TV a few years back. Great harmonies.

What's Pulp and Black Tide all about? I know Mother Love Bone from my prior Seattle, WA fascination. I don't remember the album being called Apple though....Ah, I see now. It was later renamed as a self-titled album. I actually just started to appreciate this band's music.

Back when I first got the album, it was through a CD Club I had joined...and the sole reason for its acquisition was because it featured both Gossard and Ament from PJ, and Andrew Wood, the guy who lived with Chris Cornell before his death, inspiring the Temple of the Dog recording.

I was so into the 'new' Seattle sound at the time, and MLB, even though their record was done a mere, one year earlier, was still indicative of that old guard in music...somewhere at the transitioning point between the old Kokk Rokk and the new Grunge.

I didn't pay much attention to this title back when I received it. But, listened to it again recently and though much more highly of it...Gossard and Ament were also in another signed Seattle band even prior to this, called Green River. Have you ever hear that stuff? I have not.

For those who loved Nirvana and what they were all about, there also exists another band who did their best work during that same era. A band that put together recordings which were very close to Nirvana's musical vision. One of them is highly regarded as a masterpiece of that era. That's Failure's Fantastic Planet (1996).

http://www.myspace.com/failure

Pata Negra's "Blues de la Frontera" is a great album. It fuses flamenco guitar with blues rock, with amazing results. Anyone aspiring to master the Spanish guitar should check this one out, as should anyone with a proggish curiosity.