Too Much Soda Causes Paralysis

baxtrice

Doctors warn that drinking too much soda causes paralysis

I'm just as guilty of this; because grabbing a can of soda out of the fridge is much more appealing than a glass of water, but this is something to think about for next time.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ May 20 2009, 03:07 PM)
Well hell. I should be stiff as a board then. I love my Pepsi wub.gif

I oughta be on an iron lung! I drink between 4-5 liters a day of Diet Mountain Dew.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 20 2009, 03:08 PM)
Well hell. I should be stiff as a board then. I love my Pepsi  wub.gif

I oughta be on an iron lung! I drink between 4-5 liters a day of Diet Mountain Dew.

Oh Mara! That's disgusting! 062802puke_prv.gif

No, it's the caffeine and sugar. The sugar factor may be the only reason why I am not tied in a seated position in a wheelchair - I only drink the diet stuff. The sugared varieties are WAY too sweet for me, plus I would be big as a house if I guzzled that much regular Dew.

BTW, that should comfort those of you who are worried that aspartame is The Most Evil Substance In The World. My Diet Dew habit has been with me for a loooong time - over 20 years - and no ill effects.

If this were true, I'd have become paralyzed by now.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 20 2009, 11:15 PM)
No, it's the caffeine and sugar. The sugar factor may be the only reason why I am not tied in a seated position in a wheelchair - I only drink the diet stuff. The sugared varieties are WAY too sweet for me, plus I would be big as a house if I guzzled that much regular Dew.

BTW, that should comfort those of you who are worried that aspartame is The Most Evil Substance In The World. My Diet Dew habit has been with me for a loooong time - over 20 years - and no ill effects.

I get the WORST headaches after consuming anything with Aspartame. It varies from person to person. Depends how well your body handles phenylalanine.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 20 2009, 05:27 PM)
They haven't mentioned this having anything to do with carbonation, so I assume seltzer is still safe?

only for clowns. tongue.gif

my mother told me that phosphates are like negative calcium dazed025.gif

and no, you won't see the results today or tomorrow or even next year.

(maybe next year at the dentist)

but drinking carbonated beverages increases the risk of osteoperosis.

my uncle is a plumber and once used a quart of Coca-Cola to dissolve some quick dry cement that had spilled into someone's toilet. 062802puke_prv.gif

i thought you drank juice, Tarky? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 21 2009, 12:09 AM)
They haven't mentioned this having anything to do with carbonation, so I assume seltzer is still safe?

my uncle is a plumber and once used a quart of Coca-Cola to dissolve some quick dry cement that had spilled into someone's toilet. 062802puke_prv.gif

I do drink juice, but my parents are heavy seltzerheads and my brother drowns himself in Mountain Dew Voltage laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 20 2009, 09:13 PM)

I do drink juice, but my parents are heavy seltzerheads and my brother drowns himself in Mountain Dew Voltage laugh.gif

yer gonna hafta deviate from the norm.

strong bones rule! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 21 2009, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 20 2009, 09:13 PM)

yer gonna hafta deviate from the norm.

strong bones rule! 1022.gif

I dunno, maybe it's the genetics, or the fact that I do take supplements. But when I had my hip replaced, my orthopedic surgeon said he had NEVER encountered bone as hard as mine, joked that he was worried he'd burn out his drill. He said it was like trying to drill through diamond.

QUOTE (blonde77th @ May 21 2009, 03:19 PM)
No matter what we eat drink or smoke they will always find a way of ruining it ! But fear not I don't care I will eat drink & Yes smoke whatever I want too !! yes.gif cool10.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif

Likewise.

I also, as an adult with no dependents, reserve the right to REFUSE to eat or drink anything I don't want to/don't like.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 20 2009, 03:08 PM)
Well hell. I should be stiff as a board then. I love my Pepsi  wub.gif

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice. Yech! Geez! I'll take a Crab Juice!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 21 2009, 03:55 AM)
No, it's the caffeine and sugar.  The sugar factor may be the only reason why I am not tied in a seated position in a wheelchair - I only drink the diet stuff.  The sugared varieties are WAY too sweet for me, plus I would be big as a house if I guzzled that much regular Dew.

BTW, that should comfort those of you who are worried that aspartame is The Most Evil Substance In The World.  My Diet Dew habit has been with me for a loooong time - over 20 years - and no ill effects.

I get the WORST headaches after consuming anything with Aspartame. It varies from person to person. Depends how well your body handles phenylalanine.

Hate diet shit. Even the candies with aspartame in them make me nauseous.

I get super sick on diet drinks. f***ing crap if you ask me.

I hated diet drinks too for a long time. But then I hit my mid-20's, and the gallons of sugary Dew started to hint at making an appearance on my waistline. So I retrained myself to drink the diet version. Don't like the regular much now.

I used to like Diet Coke, but I've really gone off the caramel-colored sodas.

Well at least this is one thing I don't have to worry about. I drink about 2 sodas a month, if that. The only things I drink regularly are water, coffee (2 cups max per day) and beer. I drink water all day long, maybe a kool-aid with dinner.

Well hell. I should be stiff as a board then. I love my Pepsi wub.gif

Replace Pepsi with Cherry Coke Zero, and it fits me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 20 2009, 10:55 PM)
No, it's the caffeine and sugar.  The sugar factor may be the only reason why I am not tied in a seated position in a wheelchair - I only drink the diet stuff.  The sugared varieties are WAY too sweet for me, plus I would be big as a house if I guzzled that much regular Dew.

BTW, that should comfort those of you who are worried that aspartame is The Most Evil Substance In The World.  My Diet Dew habit has been with me for a loooong time - over 20 years - and no ill effects.

I love my Diet Coke. Heh I guess my body can handle a lil aspartame... hell it's handled a lot of shit I've put in it. laugh.gif

cherry Coke Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper Caffiene free, Diet Vernors, Diet Coke w/lime, Diet Mt.Dew caffiene free'. Drink a LOT of all of these. YUM! oh, and Diet Pepsi with lemon!

I dug up this thread looking for topics on Aspartame. The more I read about Aspartame and Epilepsy, Aspartame is supposed to be a seizure trigger for people with Epilepsy. Or not, depending what article you read depending who wrote the article or the source it comes from. I drink Coke Zero which contains Aspartame like it's water and the more I read about it, artificial sweeteners like Aspartame could be a seizure trigger for me. Of course, the sites you read that are pro-Aspartame say it's okay to consume and anti-Aspartame sites say it a silent killer. Aspartame is addictive (or maybe it's just me) and there are sites out there that give details on how to "detox" from Aspartame. I don't know if it's the caffeine in it or if Aspartame really is addictive. I think if/when I do drop the Coke Zero habit, I'm going to replace the caffeine addiction with coffee. I drink coffee in the mornings and have never known it to be a "seizure trigger." I don't drink coffee with sugar or any other type of sweetener. Hell, at this point in time, I'm willing to try just about anything to get my seizures under control. I'm still trying to get my Neuro to give me a script for medical marijuana but I don't see that happening any time soon. I think trying to get off of artificial sweeteners is worth a try. The hard part about it is, artificial sweeteners are in just about everything these days. Regardless, weather or not if it's a seizure trigger for me, I think it's worth giving it a try to see if I can eliminate a "seizure trigger" for me.

www.aspartame.ca/epilepsy

www.aspartame.org

www.holisticmed.com

I don't know about aspartame being a seizure trigger, but it gives me horrendously bad migraines, so does caffeine. I'd venture a guess that if you are sensitive to it, it would give you a seizure as well.