Hagar-era Van Halen

Xanadu93

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 13 2009, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 13 2009, 12:08 PM)
Summer Nights is a great song

you know why it's a great song ? because it was written when DAVE was still in the band tongue.gif

Can only imagine what the lyrics to any songs from 5150 would've sounded like under Dave...and I mean that curiously, not in a negative way.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 13 2009, 12:16 PM)

you know why it's a great song ? because it was written when DAVE was still in the band tongue.gif

Can only imagine what the lyrics to any songs from 5150 would've sounded like under Dave...and I mean that curiously, not in a negative way.

i hear ya . i think 5150 is the best VAN HAGAR album because of that. i think by the time they got to F.U.C.K. they were well out of ideas and really did not like each other very much . i do however like RIGHT NOW and JUDGEMENT DAY . did you hear those 3 songs they did on the last best of ? crap imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 13 2009, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 13 2009, 12:16 PM)

i hear ya . i think 5150 is the best VAN HAGAR album because of that. i think by the time they got to F.U.C.K. they were well out of ideas and really did not like each other very much . i do however like RIGHT NOW and JUDGEMENT DAY . did you hear those 3 songs they did on the last best of ? crap imo

Yeah. I liked one of them quite well, but damn if I can't remember the title. tongue.gif

I did like the two songs Ed and company did with DLR on that first hits album. I really wish they could quickly pump out a new album, but I'm honestly wondering if that will happen. It's been 11 years since the last VH album (and quite a forgetable one at that)...and not even a realistic whisper on the horizon. Damn shame.

I agree that 5150 was the best of the Hagar lot. trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

Opinions will vary.....but here mine ( I liked BOTH )

1st VH album I wore out, Saw every tour with Dave, Including one year they play 2 nights in a row.... Great Rock Concerts, Great albums.! Great songs, Except JUMP, what crap is that !! Keyboard crap, video has Ed playing the guitar solo during the KB solo. Get real !

Then I heard about the depature of diamond dave & figured VH was done, Then crazy as it sounded, Sammy was set to replace dave. I got a BAD attitude even before the first track had even been recorded. BUT soon I embraced the new line up. I skiped the 1st VanHagar tour, But finally went to see Sammy w/VH, I like it, even though sammy was having some vocal issues, he told us they would come back to make up for that particular show, 4 months later they did. That show was the BEST VH concert I had ever seen, In fact it's in the top 20 ( out of 1000 ).

I Liked All the Van/Hagar stuff

I now can't stand EDDIE VANHALEN, he is a JERK ! !

Last thing he did was push Mike out of the band for NO reason !

yes.gif ED YOU ARE A JERK !

Ed's a terrific guitarist, but I will admit that kicking out Mike was a dick move.

people fail to remember. ED wanted MIKE out in 1980. he wanted BILLY SHEEHAN. don't be so shocked

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 14 2009, 09:07 PM)
people fail to remember. ED wanted MIKE out in 1980. he wanted BILLY SHEEHAN. don't be so shocked

i met Billy at an in store meet and greet and asked him about the rumour regarding him replacing Mike and he confirmed it. his band talas opened for V.H on the 1980 tour and eddie wanted him.

I agree Eddie is a dick. He is so full of himself and I don't know in all the interviews I've seen/listened to he just gets under my skin. but the guy can play guitar no doubt.

I also agree that 'Jump' sucks. they played '1984' and 'Jump' as on encore on the 2007 tour, WORST encore ever!!!

Ed is an idiot because Mike Anthony IS the Van Halen sound!! NO ONE can do that high vocal harmony like Micheal. next to Eddies playing, the harmonies were VH's signature sound.

I did not know of this, my friend. Is this like how he above say it be? Was it a matter of them touring together and Eddie wanting Sheehan in? I don't know nothing aout no Talas band. But, what a kicker it was that Sheehan wound up in the DLR band. Dave pro'lly pulled that move intentionally to piss off Eddie. No doubt. The Vai move also pissed 'im off somehow.

Ed is an idiot because Mike Anthony IS the Van Halen sound!! NO ONE can do that high vocal harmony like Micheal. next to Eddies playing, the harmonies were VH's signature sound.

That's why I was even afraid to hear any boots of these shows. I said to myself, I says, 'How in the heck are they gonna pull of the backing vox?" I still haven't heard how it all turned out. Fo' betta? Or worse?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 02:28 AM)
people fail to remember. ED wanted  MIKE out in 1980. he wanted BILLY SHEEHAN. don't be so shocked

I did not know of this, my friend. Is this like how he above say it be? Was it a matter of them touring together and Eddie wanting Sheehan in? I don't know nothing aout no Talas band. But, what a kicker it was that Sheehan wound up in the DLR band. Dave pro'lly pulled that move intentionally to piss off Eddie. No doubt. The Vai move also pissed 'im off somehow.

That's why I was even afraid to hear any boots of these shows. I said to myself, I says, 'How in the heck are they gonna pull of the backing vox?" I still haven't heard how it all turned out. Fo' betta? Or worse?

Talas was Sheehans original band from Buffalo. i think they toured with Halen for like 2 months on that trek.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 14 2009, 09:25 PM)
people fail to remember. ED wanted  MIKE out in 1980. he wanted BILLY SHEEHAN. don't be so shocked

i met Billy at an in store meet and greet and asked him about the rumour regarding him replacing Mike and he confirmed it. his band talas opened for V.H on the 1980 tour and eddie wanted him.

yep, same here. i met BILLY in 1988 right after he got the ax from DLR. that was the first thing i asked him and he said yes. that would have been killer

1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 13 2009, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2009, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 11 2009, 06:20 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 11 2009, 02:09 AM)
Eddie lost his balls and his tone sometime between 1985 and 1986. There's still a lot of the same Eddie licks and riffs on 5150 and OU812 but something is missing, a certain "kick" a danger in Eddie's playing that exists on the Roth-era albums and is missing after. The brown sound had turned beige. The natural swing had swung off.

Plus...

Hagar was almost trying too hard to Van Halenize himself with his "HELLOOOOOOOO BABYS" which sounded like he was trying to do Roth and most of the album is too AOR. I think he lost his balls too, His 80s solo stuff rocks harder not to mention Montrose.

Live? It seems ridiculous to have Sammy playing lead guitar while Ed plays keyboards.

And so on...

Hagar wasn't DLR'ing himself...he was just being Sam. That was Sam. That's what I liked about it...that he didn't try to be Dave. He was just himself.

Again, I appreciate that they were their own thing.

Oh and let's remember...Ed was playing the way he was playing already. Dave leaving had nothing to do with him playing more keys. Had DLR stayed, they were going down that path. Edward writes the music, not Roth....so while the lyrics and the vocal deliveries would've been COMPLETELY different, there still would've been the very same sonics of 5150, OU812, etc. People act like Sammy being there is what softened up Eddie. Eddie was already going there, Dave or not...and that's quite evident on 1984. Doesn't make that any better, if you don't like that direction...but it wasn't caused by anything. DLR was NOT responsible for them being heavy; Eddie was. He was the musical compass. People correlate these two as if Roth walked off with all the balls...but VH was going this direction, even if DLR stayed on.

Yeah but you're admitting that there is a "there" whoever caused it, and "there" is not better then before. And you say 1984 is like 5150, keyboards are present and that's all they have in common. The guitars are definitely weaker on 5150, they have a thin quality to them, whatever the reason, with less attitude and yes balls.

Sammy never did anything like that Hellllllllllllllllloo baby as an intro to a song on any album before this if I recall correctly. He was van Halenizing or Rothing himself himself to my ears. Even at the time I groaned at that intro.

Dreams and Love Walks in are more like bland Journey than Van Halen, not a bad thing all by itself but it's just not Van Halen. Best of Both Worlds is like an AC/DC riff. The title track is my favourite song on that album it's the most innovative song on there.

All I'm saying was that path, for better or worse, was inevitable. Dave staying wasn't going to save them from that. That's where the miscommunication comes sometimes....that DLR was actually responsible for the heaviness and Sam was responsible for the lighter touch and that's simply NOT true. Edward is/was the nucleus and he was changing and dabbling as musicians do.

Where did I say that Roth was responsible for the heaviness? Nowhere.

All I'M saying is Roth-era Van Halen is the real Van Halen and it's better than post 1984 versions. Eddie's guitar sound is not as good on 5150 and OU812 as it was on the first 6 albums. Believe me I wanted it to be, I almost convinced myself for a while but you can't lie to yourself for so long. Ed's sound and playing was better on F.U.C.K. but still not as good as the Roth era.

Of course it's easy to say anything is inevitable when looking through the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I doubt very much that you said this back in 1986. It just seems weird that Eddie's playing takes a dip from 1986 onwards.

Interesting indeed,

Keeping in that train of thought, then Ed should have called

Billy up & say something like this

" Hey Billy ! Ed Vanhalen here..... How ya been ? ..... I'm looking to tour again with DD & figured it was your turn to join the band....... Oh, Mike, he's fine, I think he's down mexico way right now, but we don't need to tell him anything.....If ya can't, thats OK, I will just get my 15 year old son to do it......"

QUOTE (GotRush @ May 15 2009, 06:02 PM)

Interesting indeed,

Keeping in that train of thought, then Ed should have called

Billy up & say something like this

" Hey Billy ! Ed Vanhalen here..... How ya been ? ..... I'm looking to tour again with DD & figured it was your turn to join the band....... Oh, Mike, he's fine, I think he's down mexico way right now, but we don't need to tell him anything.....If ya can't, thats OK, I will just get my 15 year old son to do it......"

that would have been super but hey, wolfgang is a van halen tongue.gif

I'm listening to an "Everybody Wants Some" video from the '07 tour. It really does sound great and kind of makes me wish I could have seen them - even with Wolfgang.

I never saw the Van Hagar line up but I did like it - I thought Sammy brought an "Everyman" feel to the band and that his musical background and even solo stuff was compatible with the Van Halen work.

But Dave is the definition of a front man. He not only provides vocals, he acts almost as a human projector, emitting a visual presentation of the music. He is one of a kind and I'm glad they put aside their differences so they could work together again.

But I'm not a Van Hagar hater. I think both versions are solid in their own rights.

When is that Michael Anthony solo joint due out, man? A brother's still waitin' on that shit. When they said, "RIGHT NOW Mike's thinking of a solo project", they weren't kiddin' about the 'thinking' part. You think he's figured it all out by now? Or, is he still thinking 'bout it some more?

There's thinkers in this world and then there's doers. He's thinking about doin', but not actually doin' anything about it. But, I think he's done more than an admirable job supporting whatever The Red Rocker has been doing. He's been in the support role for Sammy for a good decade now. And, besides his bass skills, he's walked off with them signature VH backing vox. Had to be an old stick in the mud and mess up the whole VH reunion and everything. Like his style.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 16 2009, 02:59 AM)
When is that Michael Anthony solo joint due out, man? A brother's still waitin' on that shit. When they said, "RIGHT NOW Mike's thinking of a solo project", they weren't kiddin' about the 'thinking' part. You think he's figured it all out by now? Or, is he still thinking 'bout it some more?

There's thinkers in this world and then there's doers. He's thinking about doin', but not actually doin' anything about it. But, I think he's done more than an admirable job supporting whatever The Red Rocker has been doing. He's been in the support role for Sammy for a good decade now. And, besides his bass skills, he's walked off with them signature VH backing vox. Had to be an old stick in the mud and mess up the whole VH reunion and everything. Like his style.

But did he walk off, or was he told to walk off?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 16 2009, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 16 2009, 02:59 AM)
When is that Michael Anthony solo joint due out, man?  A brother's still waitin' on that shit.  When they said, "RIGHT NOW Mike's thinking of a solo project", they weren't kiddin' about the 'thinking' part.  You think he's figured it all out by now?  Or, is he still thinking 'bout it some more? 

There's thinkers in this world and then there's doers.  He's thinking about doin', but not actually doin' anything about it.  But, I think he's done more than an admirable job supporting whatever The Red Rocker has been doing.  He's been in the support role for Sammy for a good decade now.  And, besides his bass skills, he's walked off with them signature VH backing vox.  Had to be an old stick in the mud and mess up the whole VH reunion and everything. Like his style.

But did he walk off, or was he told to walk off?

he was never asked to re-join the band. he said he found out like everyone else, on the web. he almost did not do the 2004 with sammy because ed wanted someone else. sammy said he would not do it without mike so ed gave in. plus, mike had to take a pay cut. f-d up situation

I didn't care for much of Hagar's stuff. However, it was the only way to hear Eddie, so....

Also, my dad convinced me at the time that it would be OK since Hagar did a decent job fronting Montrose ...

QUOTE (raptorcox @ Aug 15 2011, 07:25 AM)
I didn't care for much of Hagar's stuff. However, it was the only way to hear Eddie, so....

Also, my dad convinced me at the time that it would be OK since Hagar did a decent job fronting Montrose ...

Montrose = 1022.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 15 2011, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (raptorcox @ Aug 15 2011, 07:25 AM)
I didn't care for much of Hagar's stuff.  However, it was the only way to hear Eddie, so....

Montrose = 1022.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i like van hagar sometimes...