The Big Bang Theory

VampireBiscuits

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 27 2012, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 27 2012, 03:20 PM)
BTW, I like Amy's quasi-lesbian thing for Penny.  Amy has shown herself to be straight (for example, when she swooned over Penny's ex-boyfriend), but also voices excessive admiration for Penny's physical allure.  Maybe they could amplify this Amy trait in future episodes.

Yes, preferably on cable or, better yet, a pay movie channel.

Yes...and show her attacking the nether yeaha! drool1.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 28 2012, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Jan 28 2012, 02:03 AM)
Speaking of "Fun with Flags" is Chuck "dumbing down" Sheldon to build a wider less intellectual leaning fan base, or is he running out of shit for Sheldon to make us laugh....or am I mistaken.

Keep in mind before you answer, my wife actually AGREED with me,(and she's NEVER wrong) Sheldon IS getting dumberer, but I do believe there may be an opposing point of view

tongue.gif

I don't think Sheldon is getting dumber, but the fun with flags thing was kind of stupid. Although it's exactly the odd kind of thing he would do. But when you've got Sheldon and Amy in a scene together and it's not working then something's not right since those two have such good chemistry together.

I thought Fun with Flags was hilarious! And perfectly consistent with Sheldon's Superior-Asperger's personality.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jan 28 2012, 06:45 PM)
Speaking of "Fun with Flags" is Chuck "dumbing down" Sheldon to build a wider less intellectual leaning fan base, or is he running out of shit for Sheldon to make us laugh....or am I mistaken.

Keep in mind before you answer, my wife actually AGREED with me,(and she's NEVER wrong) Sheldon IS getting dumberer, but I do believe there may be an opposing point of view

tongue.gif

I don't think Sheldon is getting dumber, but the fun with flags thing was kind of stupid. Although it's exactly the odd kind of thing he would do. But when you've got Sheldon and Amy in a scene together and it's not working then something's not right since those two have such good chemistry together.

I thought Fun with Flags was hilarious! And perfectly consistent with Sheldon's Superior-Asperger's personality.

Hey J, I like your answer. very plausible, and makes sense

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jan 28 2012, 05:45 PM)

tongue.gif

Yes, it was consistant with his personality but I just didn't find the whole concept funny at all. The only thing I thought was funny is when Amy said "i'm surrendering to fun".

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jan 28 2012, 05:45 PM)

tongue.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 28 2012, 09:08 AM)

The show has established how smart Sheldon is, so they don't need to do that as much anymore. The show became a hit because of him, so I don't see why dumbing him down would do anything at this point. I think his circle of friends and especially Amy have got him thinking about more things than just science now which may create the illusion that he's getting dumber. But I see it as Sheldon becoming slightly human and realizing there's more things to focus on than thinking about work all the time. Whenever you get a chance to re-watch the current season you'll see that he is still Sheldon.

Good response.

Compare Sheldon to Spock. Generally, Spock wasn't a funny character, but what WAS funny was when the logical and controlled Spock went out-of-character so to speak, and revealed his human side. (Example: his attempts at cursing in Star Trek 4.) It's the same with Sheldon. We get how he's logical and controlled; the funny thing now is watching him lose control and/or do something which "normal" people might do.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 29 2012, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 28 2012, 09:08 AM)

The show has established how smart Sheldon is, so they don't need to do that as much anymore. The show became a hit because of him, so I don't see why dumbing him down would do anything at this point. I think his circle of friends and especially Amy have got him thinking about more things than just science now which may create the illusion that he's getting dumber. But I see it as Sheldon becoming slightly human and realizing there's more things to focus on than thinking about work all the time. Whenever you get a chance to re-watch the current season you'll see that he is still Sheldon.

Good response.

Compare Sheldon to Spock. Generally, Spock wasn't a funny character, but what WAS funny was when the logical and controlled Spock went out-of-character so to speak, and revealed his human side. (Example: his attempts at cursing in Star Trek 4.) It's the same with Sheldon. We get how he's logical and controlled; the funny thing now is watching him lose control and/or do something which "normal" people might do.

Agreed, this is exactly how I see it. I'm two thirds of the way through the season 4 DVDs and that's what looks to be happening. It's great because his super smart, OCD without humanity type personality was starting to be tiresome so this human transition makes it more entertaining.

Been watching since episode #1 (a show about my people? of course I'll watch!). It's really hit its stride now, IMO. The girls are a great addition and I think that Mayim Bialik should get an Emmy this year - Amy has really become an important part of the show.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 1 2012, 03:38 AM)
Been watching since episode #1

Ditto. I've watched from the first time it aired, as a summer replacement series following "How I Met Your Mother." I was hooked from the start. That first summer they kept re-airing the same 4-5 episodes over and over (it was probably all they had)... and I kept watching them!

Today I think it's considered one of the hippest shows on television, but it wasn't always like that. Then, it only had a cult following.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I'm almost at the latest episode. I just saw the episode where *SPOILERS* Sheldon has a fight with Amy and buys her a tiara *END SPOILERS* and I have to admit that his condescending attitude towards physicists and biologists is quite irritating. Maybe it's because I'm studying a similar field but because of this the show is losing it's charm that played on nerd stereotypes and occasionally had a decent science joke. I find that Raj is underused as a character. They need to give him a larger role. Make an episode where he overcomes his fear of women or something to get him more into the action.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Feb 22 2012, 04:36 PM)
I just watched the episode where they were discussing the most perfect number.

rofl3.gif
I immediately thought of our dear leader!

Did they really mention those numbers?

They're referencing TRF since all characters in the show have to be avid fans.

I have an 11 year-old boy with Aspergers and comorbidity with ADHD. Imagine Sheldon on the go for 18 hours+ hours a day.

We love the show but what is funny on TV can be difficult in real life.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 23 2012, 01:56 AM)
I have an 11 year-old boy with Aspergers and comorbidity with ADHD. Imagine Sheldon on the go for 18 hours+ hours a day.

I've read the writers never intended for Sheldon to have Asperger's so whatever traits he has are completely unintentional. So don't be too upset with them.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 23 2012, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 23 2012, 01:56 AM)

I've read the writers never intended for Sheldon to have Asperger's so whatever traits he has are completely unintentional. So don't be too upset with them.

I'm not upset at all. Like Sheldon, my kid can be an absolute riot at times. But his inability to read social cues and adopt certain norms makes it tough at times. The show doesn't reflect that part of it (and no reason that it should since it is a comedy).

Nah, we love the show.

BTW, the writers didn't intentionally include Aspergers in Sheldon but Jim Parson's has admitted studying it and using it to develop the character. He also read "Looking Me in they Eye" which is an absolute requirement for ANYONE who comes in regular contact with someone with Aspergers.

Did anyone catch last weeks' episode? Don't read any further if you don't want to hear about the episode....

I laughed so hard it hurt when Sheldon told the president of the university that he should perform a self prostate exam...and he suggested he clip his finger nails before performing the procedure. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 24 2012, 02:03 PM)
Sheldon, where are you going?

Where ever the music takes me, kitten. z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

I thought the funniest line of last night's episode was when Sheldon asked Amy if it was OK for Penny to cut his hair and Amy said "There's not a hair on my body I wouldn't let this woman trim" z7shysterical.gif

I LOL'ed for real at that line from Amy, but at the same time... I'm starting to get a little tired of the Amy obsession with Penny. Only because Penny's not oblivious to it anymore, you can see her reaction every time, and I'm always left wondering why she doesn't say anything to Amy about it. You can see it makes her uncomfortable or annoyed, but there seems to be at least one of those jokes in every episode now.