Favorite Pink Floyd member solo effort

The Owl

Which of these solo albums by members of Pink Floyd is your faviorate?/The Best?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these solo albums by members of Pink Floyd is your faviorate?/The Best?

• Syd Barrett: The Madcap Laughs
    • Syd Barrett: Barrett
    • Richard Wright: Wet Dream
    • Richard Wright: Broken China
    • Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports: With Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports
    • Mason +Fenn: Profiles
    • Mason+ Fenn: White of the Eye
    • Mason+Fenn: Tank Mailing
    • Roger Waters: Music from the Body
    • Roger Waters: The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
    • Roger Waters: Radio K.A.O.S
    • Roger Waters: Amused to Death
    • Roger Waters: Ca Ira
    • David Gilmour: David Gilmour
    • David Gilmour: About Face
    • David Gilmour: On an Island

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of this particular thread, I've started to give some of the Syd Barrett material ample attention. Now, that boy was plum crazy. That's for dang sure.

It's really strange that the members of The Floyd still maintained a professional working relationship with their former leader, Syd, even as they were booting him out from their camp.

Like, didn't Gilmour produce either the first, or both the first and the second of Syd Barrett's solo titles? And, how do you think these projects went for a sane individual like Gilmour trying to assemble and better the work of a madman on the brink?

I don't know how many folks here have actually heard the ramblings coming out of dear old Syd after he, well, ya know... Some of the stuff was still on the level of what he'd been bringing to The Floyd, like 'Long Gone'. Apt title, right? But, then there was the loonier stuff like 'Love You'. All the chords and the tuning is all outta kilter, kinda like the man hisself. And, the lyrics are convoluted and nonsensical. Check it out, ya'll.

Shame, because it's real interesting to ponder the idea of Syd remaining well and moving forward with The Floyd. What would 70's Floyd sound like if he would have continued on with the band? Would that mean a Gilmour-less Floyd, or potentially a five-piece? A boy can dream, can't he?

Love You

(Barrett)

Honey love you, honey little,

Honey funny sunny morning

Love you more funny love in the skyline baby

Ice-cream 'scuse me,

I've seen you looking good the other evening

Oh, you dig it, had to smile just an hour or so

(are) we in love like I think we be?

It Ain't a long rhyme.

It took ages to think

I think I'll hurl it in the water, baby...

Honey love you, honey little,

Honey funny sunny morning

Love you more funny love in the skyline baby

Ice-cream 'scuse me,

I've seen you looking good the other evening

Flaking you are an nice little one

To put it all around, its just good

I like it, hey hey hey

S'pose some time that day

Whoopee! swinging along over across to me

http://www.imeem.com/popmusic14/music/Giru...rrett-love-you/

Syd Barrett - Love You

http://www.imeem.com/popmusic16/music/h483...rett-long-gone/

Syd Barrett - Long Gone

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 14 2009, 08:56 AM)
Glad someone mentioned Syd.
His two solo albums are tremendous, although I prefer his second album, Barrett over The Madcap Laughs.
I enjoy his lyrical style, mainly the child-like rhymes he uses.

He was a genius... I actually don't have his 2 albums in full.. There is a Syd Barrett compilation I have that has most of the stuff of the albums... I admit I still need the full albums.

Hmm...I have all of Gilmour's solo albums, which are all great, Pros and Cons, and Wet Dream....and out of all of those, I'd say Gilmour's debut is my favorite. Wet Dream is a solid album... Pros and Cons never impressed me much, though I've been meaning to get Amused to Death.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Mar 17 2009, 01:10 PM)
Pros and Cons never impressed me much, though I've been meaning to get Amused to Death.

Pros and Cons is very patchy, granted. You shouldn't be disappointed with ATD though. Let us know what you think after a few listens trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 16 2009, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Mar 17 2009, 01:10 PM)
Pros and Cons never impressed me much, though I've been meaning to get Amused to Death.

Pros and Cons is very patchy, granted. You shouldn't be disappointed with ATD though. Let us know what you think after a few listens trink38.gif

I'd pay good money to hear the original demos for both, The Wall, and Pros and Cons, which were brought into the studio and shown to the band at the same time in 1978. The other three members agreed to work on The Wall over Pros & Cons. But, The Wall had to be a real, bare bones, skeleton version of the piece. I bet that both pieces were a lot closer in vision initially than what they eventually turned out to be.

We think of The Wall as being leaps and bounds beyond what's on P & C, but I bet that this difference wasn't so evident with the two rough demos. I put off hearing P & C for years, but had been familiar with The Final Cut ever since it's release date. In retrospect, I'm surprised that Waters didn't go for more of that Wall/TFC production sound on P & C. The writing is very similiar to those two efforts, but the production is weak in comparison. Clapton does a bang up job on guitar though. That's one saving grace.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 17 2009, 05:54 PM)
In retrospect, I'm surprised that Waters didn't go for more of that Wall/TFC production sound on P & C.  The writing is very similiar to those two efforts, but the production is weak in comparison.  Clapton does a bang up job on guitar though.  That's one saving grace.

True enough with EC. You make a good point with the production, but I cant see the P&Cs material in comparison that much to the quality of The Wall from Roger's side.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Mar 16 2009, 06:10 PM)
I've been meaning to get Amused to Death.

ATD is in my top 5 albums of all time... I love it. Musically it is awesome, lyrically it is a masterpiece.

The song "Too Much Rope" is one of the best things Waters has ever written.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2009, 02:54 PM)

ATD is in my top 5 albums of all time... I love it. Musically it is awesome, lyrically it is a masterpiece.

If it wasn't for ATD I'd probably have never got round to consciously listening to any Floyd at all....

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 17 2009, 10:28 AM)

If it wasn't for ATD I'd probably have never got round to consciously listening to any Floyd at all....

Lyrically speaking ATD is just as good as Roger Waters has ever written...

I could make the statement that I like the writing of ATD better than Animals or The Wall..

That is just Lyrically speaking now... The music is what makes Animals and The Wall better overall.

Damn, I almost went with "On An Island." I see that it's ahead at the moment.

I had to choose "About Face." I was heavily into that album during my senior year in high school.

Also Pete Townshend helped pen two songs. "All Lovers Are Deranged" and "Love On The Air."

John Lord and the great late Jeff Porcaro are also on the record.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 7 2009, 01:07 AM)
QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 17 2009, 10:28 AM)

Lyrically speaking ATD is just as good as Roger Waters has ever written...

I could make the statement that I like the writing of ATD better than Animals or The Wall..

That is just Lyrically speaking now... The music is what makes Animals and The Wall better overall.

Its not just the amazing lyrics, its how he sings them; with emotion. yes.gif

Out of curiosity, I looked at rateyourmusic.com at the ratings for all these albums to see what the general public (as opposed to Rush fans) rated the highest of all these albums.

I'm happy to say that the albums that are my personal #1 and #2 from this list are also the #1 and #2 from rateyourmusic. common001.gif

Top five (ratings are out of 5):

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs - 3.93

Syd Barrett - Barrett - 3.81

Roger Waters - Amused to Death - 3.69

Richard Wright - Wet Dream - 3.59

David Gilmour - David Gilmour - 3.57

The rest:

Richard Wright - Broken China - 3.54

Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking - 3.53

Nick Mason - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports - 3.51

David Gilmour - On An Island - 3.40

David Gilmour - About Face - 3.31

Roger Waters - Music From the Body - 3.30

Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S. - 3.18

Roger Waters - Ca Ira - 3.16

Mason & Fenn - Profiles - 2.66

Side Note: On the poll there was a listing for Mason & Fenn - White of the Eye & Mason & Fenn - Tank Mailing. I had to do a bit of research online to figure out that these were obscure movie soundtracks that I doubt ever were released on CD - they don't even show up in many discographies for Nick Mason at all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2009, 06:05 AM)
Out of curiosity, I looked at rateyourmusic.com at the ratings for all these albums to see what the general public (as opposed to Rush fans) rated the highest of all these albums.

I'm happy to say that the albums that are my personal #1 and #2 from this list are also the #1 and #2 from rateyourmusic. common001.gif

Top five (ratings are out of 5):

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs - 3.93
Syd Barrett - Barrett - 3.81
Roger Waters - Amused to Death - 3.69
Richard Wright - Wet Dream - 3.59
David Gilmour - David Gilmour - 3.57

The rest:

Richard Wright - Broken China - 3.54
Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking - 3.53
Nick Mason - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports - 3.51
David Gilmour - On An Island - 3.40
David Gilmour - About Face - 3.31
Roger Waters - Music From the Body - 3.30
Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S. - 3.18
Roger Waters - Ca Ira - 3.16
Mason & Fenn - Profiles - 2.66

Side Note: On the poll there was a listing for Mason & Fenn - White of the Eye & Mason & Fenn - Tank Mailing. I had to do a bit of research online to figure out that these were obscure movie soundtracks that I doubt ever were released on CD - they don't even show up in many discographies for Nick Mason at all.

no reaction? has this thread completely run its course then? unsure.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 8 2009, 09:58 AM)
Interesting to see Syd at the Top...... well earned...but interesting

That's because his albums, the first one especially, are CLASSICS. Ok, maybe not a lot of Rush fans would agree, but that's why I went to rateyourmusic, for the consensus of the more general populace.

I've heard all the David Gilmour albums, and they're all very good, each with some very good and great songs. On An Island I found very patchy.

I have Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports and it's very, very interesting - some great songs and some good ones. Not a classic. I heard the Mason & Fenn album once - not very memorable.

I've heard the Richard Wright solo material - very patchy at best.

I've heard some of the Roger Waters material and it doesn't do a lot for me personally, though there is some great material.

Actually, by far the best solo Floyd I've heard outside of Syd Barrett is the Music from the Body soundtrack with Roger and Ron Geesin - that one I think is a lot of fun, but still not a classic. Syd was a genius and even his lesser material is still pretty amazing IMHO...

I'd take two...and disregard the rest. The two being, firstly, Gilmour's '78 title...and the other, Roger Waters - Pros and Cons. These two I dig because they began life as potential Floyd material, and just wound up as solo spots. To me, Syd's solo efforts are just too confused. The genre should be called 'meandering mayhem'. Good to listen to once as a novelty, but bearing no replay value whatsoever...I always wanted to hear the first Rick Wright album. Is it the first or the second that people like?

As much as I love Gilmour's solo albums, I'm just strangely attracted to Amused to Death. For some reason, I just love it!

Some gorgeous guitar from Jeff Beck on that album, too. smile.gif

nice to see ON AN ISLAND getting some love

1022.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Jun 11 2009, 12:58 PM)
I always wanted to hear the first Rick Wright album.  Is it the first or the second that people like?

I've got a copy of Wet Dream, its a pretty bland affair from what I remember. Wouldn't sweat it.

Archived