• Permanent Waves (studio)
    • Exit...Stage Left version
    • Different Stages version
    • Grace Under Pressure Tour version
    • Rush in Rio version
    • r30 version
    • Snakes and Arrows Live version
    • A Bootleg Version (State the boot)

How about it, which version of tSoR do you think is best? And why.

(note If you are thinking of a compilation version you would obviously chose the PW/studio version)

(note2: If you choose a bootleg, state the title of the boot, the date...and if possible a link to the boot on the Digital Rush Experience)

I went with Rush in Rio

It is a solid version..... one thing about this song is that geddy seems to mix the singing style on this song different from the studio method of singing...... in the "salesmen" section particularly. I like the vocals arrangment of the ending of this version.

But of course what sets the RiR version ahead of the others is the audience...... TSOR is the ultimate audience song....and the rio audience becomes part of the band on this version............totally epic.

I still feel nothing matches the studio release.

I like the nice sound of the studio version, but I went with R30 for the poll. I love that version! It's my favourite version of the solo. And plus, TSoR is best played/enjoyed loud, and the R30 production has just that quality. cool.gif

It should also be noted that the version from the bootleg "Music In The Abstract" from the Signals tour on 12/09/1982 has Geddy singing some alternate (better?) lyrics. wink.gif

Listen Here

This song is always well received in front of a live audience, and it always sounds great to me at the venue. However, for some reason, it doesn't sound quite as good to me when I play a live recording. So, I'd rank it this way:

1. Live in person

2. Studio version

3. Live recording

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jan 30 2009, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 30 2009, 04:19 PM)
a vote for anything other than the studio version is just silly.

why?

i really like the GUP tour version, but i want to say S&A Live because of the sentimentality.

because the studio version is perfect IMO.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 30 2009, 05:19 PM)

that's mr. silly to you biggrin.gif

1022.gif

I gave my reasons for voting RIR version.

The reason I chose this song for this poll, is because I thought the audience participation that you can hear on a live version (especially in the RIR version) might have an effect...

TSOR is the ultimate audience song..IMO...

I agree the studio version is near perfection......but I love this paricular live version just a bit more.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 31 2009, 03:03 AM)

I gave my reasons for voting RIR version.

The reason I chose this song for this poll, is because I thought the audience participation that you can hear on a live version (especially in the RIR version) might have an effect...

TSOR is the ultimate audience song..IMO...

I agree the studio version is near perfection......but I love this paricular live version just a bit more.

So you're saying if you had to have one version of TSOR to listen to from now on you'd prefer the version where the crowd is louder than the band?

confused13.gif

Studio version:

- the distinctive swirly flanged sound of the intro riff isn't there in the live versions.

- the power of the huge 'E' chord dubbed over the swirly intro riff is unmatched.

- the production in general, but the guitar sounds in particular are just beautiful. The guitar tracks are sweetly distorted yet clean and every note of every chord rings clear. A great track to pump through a sweet sound system or, perhaps better yet, nice headphones.

- I like some of the live solos and all, but the studio version is classic.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 30 2009, 12:17 PM)
I went with Rush in Rio

It is a solid version..... one thing about this song is that geddy seems to mix the singing style on this song different from the studio method of singing...... in the "salesmen" section particularly. I like the vocals arrangment of the ending of this version.

But of course what sets the RiR version ahead of the others is the audience...... TSOR is the ultimate audience song....and the rio audience becomes part of the band on this version............totally epic.

goodpost.gif

Archived