The Texas thread

Territorial_Game

"I hear Texas is full of beers, steers, and queers. I don't see any horns on you, boy. . ."

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Dec 31 2008, 12:26 AM)
anything but hate for the 28th state.

Damn... nevermind... ph34r.gif

wink.gif

My Mom is from Texas and my great-great-great Grandfather, Captain John M. Elkins, was a real live Texas Ranger who survived being partially scalped by an "Injun". The Indian thought he was dead, but when he started cutting old Grandpa's scalp, Grandpa woke up and gave him three rounds from his Colt Peacemaker at point-blank range. He wrote a book about it called Indian Fighting on the Texas Frontier and I have a copy.

So yeah, I'm pretty proud of my Texan heritage.

Texans also designed my second-favorite flag of all time:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/800px-Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It_s.png

Everyone I have ever met from Texas has been super nice. Including, of course, the folks here at TRF.

I had the opportunity about 5 years ago to move to Houston. Sometimes I am sorry I didn't take it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 30 2008, 07:24 PM)
My Mom is from Texas and my great-great-great Grandfather, Captain John M. Elkins, was a real live Texas Ranger who survived being partially scalped by an "Injun". The Indian thought he was dead, but when he started cutting old Grandpa's scalp, Grandpa woke up and gave him three rounds from his Colt Peacemaker at point-blank range. He wrote a book about it called Indian Fighting on the Texas Frontier and I have a copy.

So yeah, I'm pretty proud of my Texan heritage.

Texans also designed my second-favorite flag of all time:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/800px-Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It_s.png

That's a really cool story, Jack. And the "Come and Take It" flag also brings up an incredible amount of pride in my state.

Native Texan, born and raised. Love the state, hate the drive to El Paso! biggrin.gif

I was born there.

Learned to count to 10 with a Texas accent.

When we moved to MA, my new teachers loved to hear me say 7 with three syllables... unsure.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

I have never been to Texas, but someday hope to.

For the past 2 years someone we know and care about has moved there. Our neighbors to Boerne & my Aunt & Uncle to San Antonio.

Funny thing is they don't know each other and are only an hour away from each other.

Also a certain NNW lives there who I would love to get the chance to meet. hug2.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 1 2009, 04:07 PM)

For the past 2 years someone we know and care about has moved there. Our neighbors to Boerne & my Aunt & Uncle to San Antonio.

Funny thing is they don't know each other and are only an hour away from each other.

Also a certain NNW lives there who I would love to get the chance to meet. hug2.gif

I'm from San Antonio, my whole life. I'm going to A&M now though. Actually, at the time, Boerne's only high school was my school's biggest rival. I played basketball, so naturally I've been to Boerne a few times. It's really a nice place, river running right through "downtown."

I loved Texas.

Was there in '97 while driving across the good old U S of A.

Got on I-20 in Shrevesport, LA and headed west where the highway rolled, rose, and fell with the undulating terrain but it was rough where you felt where every section of highway met. And it was hot...did the drive in my underwear only.

Blew around Dallas Ft. Worth and onward. That central part of the state was BEAUTIFUL...straight out of a western movie. Thought Ranger Texas was a cool place (although I didn't stop).

But I did stop in Abilene where I ate at The Town Crier Resaurant which had some crazy old fashioned electronic, ordering menu that I'm not going to explain 'cuz it's kinda weird and it'll take a long time.

Headed west on I-20 again to just west of Sweetwater and got on SR 84 going north west toward Lubbock....FLAT....FLAT....FLAT AS A FRIKIN' PANCAKE they grow grains for breweries there and every once in a while the flatness would be broken by the biggest grain silos I've ever seen....lots of cattle in Lubbock.

While travelling through Lubbock I saw a sign for What-a-Burger and had been wanting to try it as I had been seeing them all over FL, AL, MS, LA, and TX, but as I approached it traffic got really crazy so I decided I'd hit the next What-a-Burger I passed and settled for Wendy's instead.......9,500 miles later....I never saw another What-a-Burger and only in 2008 did I get to try one....

Continued on north west through more flat, although that soon changed to rolling hills and sagebrush as before I knew it...1000 miles, and 2 days of driving after Shrevesport, I was in New Mexico.

Loved Texas.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jan 3 2009, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 1 2009, 04:07 PM)

I'm from San Antonio, my whole life. I'm going to A&M now though. Actually, at the time, Boerne's only high school was my school's biggest rival. I played basketball, so naturally I've been to Boerne a few times. It's really a nice place, river running right through "downtown."

Ever eat at the Tin Roof Steak House in "downtown" Boerne? That's our neighbors place!

My Aunt & Uncle are at the airforce base not far from you. WOW I miss them!

Archived