Gran Torino

SiriusRushFan

This could be the last time Clint breaks out his pistol/shotgun for a movie I think, so, I may just try to catch this one. And hey, I used to know a guy back in the 70's that owned a Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland motor in it if I remember right. So between that and Clint's last possible 'gun finale', it should be enough to motivate me. tongue.gif

What ya think Jack, you ol' rootin' tootin', shotgun toten', pistol packin' hombre, you gonna go see it? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 30 2008, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 30 2008, 08:16 PM)
At this point in his career, Clint is incapable of making a bad movie. I think it's safe to call him a master filmmaker now.

Uh, Blood Work.

Hadn't seen that one, but based on the mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it looks like half the critics didn't exactly love it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 30 2008, 10:20 PM)
At this point in his career, Clint is incapable of making a bad movie. I think it's safe to call him a master filmmaker now.

Uh, Blood Work.

Hadn't seen that one, but based on the mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it looks like half the critics didn't exactly love it.

Even masters make mistakes, and he was already in his 70s by the time he made it. Still an OK watch, but as for movies with mysteries/twists, sometimes they're too far-fetched to accept and ruin what is otherwise an enjoyable flick.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 30 2008, 09:40 PM)

Uh, Blood Work.

Even masters make mistakes, and he was already in his 70s by the time he made it. Still an OK watch, but as for movies with mysteries/twists, sometimes they're too far-fetched to accept and ruin what is otherwise an enjoyable flick.

Is it a bad movie or simply not a great one?

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 30 2008, 07:11 PM)
This could be the last time Clint breaks out his pistol/shotgun for a movie I think, so, I may just try to catch this one. And hey, I used to know a guy back in the 70's that owned a Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland motor in it if I remember right. So between that and Clint's last possible 'gun finale', it should be enough to motivate me. tongue.gif

What ya think Jack, you ol' rootin' tootin', shotgun toten', pistol packin' hombre, you gonna go see it? laugh.gif

Yeah, I'll probably check it out. It's always cool to see ol' Clint chew the scenery.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 30 2008, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 30 2008, 09:40 PM)

Uh, Blood Work.

Is it a bad movie or simply not a great one?

It was average, far from great and far from horrible.

Saw it tonight and was completely blow away. Loved the plot and the characters. I feel like its one of those types of lead characters that would have never of worked if Eastwood hadn't been in that role. Some of his lines were hilarious, because hey, it's Eastwood, and would not have hit the same mark had some other actor been in that role. The song at the end that Eastwood co-wrote with Jamie Cullum was very touching/moving...I think we could have done without his singing, but it kind of adds to the whole ending motive. I honestly think this was the swan song for Clint Eastwood, and bar none there was no better way of going out for such a top notch, timeless, and genre defining actor. If it has his stamp on it it's got to be good. TWO THUMBS UP! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I give it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif as well. Of course this movie wasn't like HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING! But I thought it was very good and worth another watch at some point as well. I suggest to everyone to go see it, it has a great moral as well.

Better late than never.

I loved it.

Again Clint makes some HUGE statements in this flick!

I really enjoyed how Clint included personality qualities of many of his screen characters. Dirty Harry's hard shell and indifference to what it takes to obtain justice, the signature catch phrase e.g. "Get off my lawn". I also saw some shades of Blondie and Josie in there as well.

His best picture since True Crimes (imho) but i'm in a lower majority on this I'm sure.

Why it didn't get an Oscar nomination? Cuz they SUCK!

41,354 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 8.4 / 10

Demographic breakdowns are shown below.

Votes Percentage Rating

13,257 32.1% 10

12,226 29.6% 9

8,655 20.9% 8

3,888 9.4% 7

1,309 3.2% 6

544 1.3% 5

302 0.7% 4

227 0.5% 3

226 0.5% 2

720 1.7% 1

Rated higher than 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and return of the Jedi!

Edited by pinkfloyd1973

bumper.gif

Votes Percentage Rating

19,561 29.5% 10

20,244 30.5% 9

14,803 22.3% 8

6,601 9.9% 7

2,193 3.3% 6

862 1.3% 5

467 0.7% 4

324 0.5% 3

325 0.5% 2

1,001 1.5% 1

* IMDB

Just release on DVD yesterday. I love this film!!

Walt Kowalski: Take these three items, some WD-40, a vice grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone.

Walt Kowalski: Take these three items, some WD-40, a vice grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone.

Man law #1.

I reckon that Mr. Eastwood did a right fine job with this one. I really was wondering what type of story he would choose to do at his advanced age...and I was pleasantly surprised by the answer. Some ideas would have been clearly out of the range of 'tastefulness' for this guy....

I reckon that I didn't want a free one with Alice or Silky. Because of my wife back home. I reckon that if I was to want a free one, it would be with you.....Signed, William Munny out of Missouri

PPV'ed this one last night. Fantastic movie!