The "Official" Genesis thread

It took about 25 years of trying before I really got into Genesis. I had a couple of records back in the 80s because Phil is my favourite drummer, but I always preferred his playing on other people's stuff. I must have tried 3 Sides Live a dozen times over the years, and then finally it started clicking. I also had the first Archive set with the Lamb live and that all started falling into place as well.

As a drummer, Seconds and 3 Sides are compelling, and the live suff on the bonus disc from Trick is also wonderful.

I like it all, but my preference is the post Hackett, pre Invisible era.

And I have the inner sleeve portait from Abacab up on my kitchen wall, right next to the covers of Permanent Waves, Evolution and Animals.

• Like 2

In 1982 Genesis did some really small venues here in the U.K, as part of the Abacab tour! Myself and a friend managed to get tickets to the show,and we had the privilege of being amongst the crowd that night, treated to the whole 22+ minutes of Supper's Ready,which was 10 yrs old back then! I was 17 yrs old then,and i have to admit there were tears in my eyes by the time of New Jerusalem! No one can take that magical moment away from me! Brilliant!
  • Like 4

In 1982 Genesis did some really small venues here in the U.K, as part of the Abacab tour! Myself and a friend managed to get tickets to the show,and we had the privilege of being amongst the crowd that night, treated to the whole 22+ minutes of Supper's Ready,which was 10 yrs old back then! I was 17 yrs old then,and i have to admit there were tears in my eyes by the time of New Jerusalem! No one can take that magical moment away from me! Brilliant!

What an awesome story! I've got a bootleg of that tour from a surprise show they did at the Marquee in London. The sound is amazing for an audience recording, and it is so good when they launch into Supper's Ready. It's weird, I feel like that's a farewell to their prog roots in many ways, that tour, and from that point on they'd become a huge arena band with pop singles. At least they said goodbye to their prog fans in the best possible way (not to mention the tour ended with the Gabriel reunion!).

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

What an awesome story! I've got a bootleg of that tour from a surprise show they did at the Marquee in London. The sound is amazing for an audience recording, and it is so good when they launch into Supper's Ready. It's weird, I feel like that's a farewell to their prog roots in many ways, that tour, and from that point on they'd become a huge arena band with pop singles. At least they said goodbye to their prog fans in the best possible way (not to mention the tour ended with the Gabriel reunion!).

Yes.Would have loved to have been at The Six of the Best gig! Apparently Gabriel was carried on stage in a coffin! The band have always said that they wished they'd practised more before the show.Gabriel was really upset at his performance! There's some recordings of the show but the sound quality is so poor the band wouldn't officially release it!Shame!

Yes.Would have loved to have been at The Six of the Best gig! Apparently Gabriel was carried on stage in a coffin! The band have always said that they wished they'd practised more before the show.Gabriel was really upset at his performance! There's some recordings of the show but the sound quality is so poor the band wouldn't officially release it!Shame!

I read recently Mike Rutherford saying how they all wish they'd recorded the show, even though it wasn't as well rehearsed as they'd have liked. It's a shame there's not a better source for that show, because the only ones I've heard are pretty distant/muffled. Have you heard the tape from the rehearsal the week before? It's not the same as the actual gig, but the sound is pretty good, and it's neat to hear Gabriel sing Supper's Ready in 1982.

I read recently Mike Rutherford saying how they all wish they'd recorded the show, even though it wasn't as well rehearsed as they'd have liked. It's a shame there's not a better source for that show, because the only ones I've heard are pretty distant/muffled. Have you heard the tape from the rehearsal the week before? It's not the same as the actual gig, but the sound is pretty good, and it's neat to hear Gabriel sing Supper's Ready in 1982.

I'm pretty sure that when they performed Turn It On Again , P.C.left his drum seat to sing lead,and P.G. took over the drums and performed the song with Chester Thompson!

• Like 1

So,

I've just exited the Peter Gabriel era in my Genesis listening marathon.

I listened to "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" this morning.

By all accounts, losing Gabriel in a band like Genesis (where they were in their musical progress) should have been a death blow.

Quite the contrary, the next two albums, "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" are just brilliant.

A very seamless and natural progression in the evolution of this great band.

My opinion may be biased, of course, as "A Trick of the Tail" was the first Genesis album I owned.

Musically and lyrically, these two albums are masterpieces.

I'm not sure if Banks, Collins, Hackett & Rutherford set out with something to prove, but prove it they did.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 3

Watching the documentary, "Sum of the Parts".

Very interesting look into the band with great insights from the band.

Highly recommend this if you haven't seen it.

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/media/genesis/r-kive/gen_sumoftheparts_BRcover250.jpg

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

Yeah, Steve was kind of absent.

I read somewhere that he wasn't a willing participant.

Still, he was such a major part of the band and is a huge talent.

It is shame he wasn't given more attention.

Yeah, Steve was kind of absent.

I read somewhere that he wasn't a willing participant.

Still, he was such a major part of the band and is a huge talent.

It is shame he wasn't given more attention.

Steve was well pissed off actually.Not a happy bunny! Apparently he did loads of stuff talking with the others in the studio,but much of it was edited out.He was also upset that there was hardly any mention of his solo albums or his career,whilst Gabriel and Collins got quite a bit of air-play concerning their solo careers! Banks and Rutherford have both gone public to say that they were sorry that Hackett's time on the dvd was minimal! So for me this is not the definitive documentary on Genesis.

• Like 1

Today I've found myself in the year 1983 in my Genesis marathon.

I gave the self titled album, "Genesis" and (in my opinion) one of the best sounding live shows (Genesis - A Phantastically Phabulous Philly - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA - 27 November 1983) a listen.

It took me back to when I was 20 years old and when I saw them live at Madison Square Garden.

It brought back such great memories of wonderful people, events and places.

I had gone trail running at Bolton Valley Ski Resort, in Vermont, with the cassette playing in my Walkman.

(yes, that's right, I said cassette and I said Walkman).

There I was running up this mountain to the beat of "Home By the Sea / Second Home By the Sea".

It was unusually warm for Vermont that time of year, the sun was high and bright in the early afternoon, amazing colours everywhere and I was as close to Heaven in mind body and spirit as I had ever been up to that point in my life.

I will never forget that day and those songs are forever tied to that memory.

It is truly amazing how music can minister to the human spirit...

...musically and lyrically, this brilliant album fires on all cylinders!

http://www.genesis-news.com/media/genesis/mama-album/mama-album_header.jpg

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 5

Today I've found myself in the year 1983 in my Genesis marathon.

I gave the self titled album, "Genesis" and (in my opinion) one of the best sounding live shows (Genesis - A Phantastically Phabulous Philly - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA - 27 November 1983) a listen.

It took me back to when I was 20 years old and when I saw them live at Madison Square Garden.

It brought back such great memories of wonderful people, events and places.

I had gone trail running at Bolton Valley Ski Resort, in Vermont, with the cassette playing in my Walkman.

(yes, that's right, I said cassette and I said Walkman).

There I was running up this mountain to the beat of "Home By the Sea / Second Home By the Sea".

It was unusually warm for Vermont that time of year, the sun was high and bright in the early afternoon, amazing colours everywhere and I was as close to Heaven in mind body and spirit as I had ever been up to that point in my life.

I will never forget that day and those songs are forever tied to that memory.

It is truly amazing how music can minister to the human spirit...

...musically and lyrically, this brilliant album fires on all cylinders!

http://www.genesis-news.com/media/genesis/mama-album/mama-album_header.jpg

Nice tale!

Sure is amazing how music can make you feel,and those moments in the past that stick with you forever!

Genesis music can certainly bring those emotions to the fore.

Years ago I was walking in the mountains where i live and I too had my Walkman with me,and as I was sitting,gazing at the wonderful view,Heathaze ( from Duke) began,and it was just one of those moments when time froze,and for those few minutes i just lost myself in the song!Needless to say that Heathaze has always had a special place for me.

• Like 2

Very nice Heathaze connection Red Dwarf...amazing indeed.

I used to race bicycles and was out training very early one fall morning.

I saw the sun come up over a big field filled with leaves that had fallen making the whole field shine a gold colour.

I just started singing...

"The sun had been up for a couple of hours, covered the ground with a layer of gold."

• Like 1

All those songs from Wind And Wuthering have got that "Fallen Leaves/Autumn" feel,and that's when I usually listen to that album.Stunning stuff. Big soft spot for Afterglow,and Blood on the Rooftops! Actually the album cover is so autumnal too!
  • Like 1

I totally get an autumnal feel from W&W. Oddly, I get the same from Selling England By The Pound. I first got into the album during the autumn (years later--I was three years old when it was first released :) ), and combined with that famous promo shot of them in Central Park it got etched in my memory. Those skeletal trees and wash of grey are so familiar to any of us who've lived through Northeast Autumns. So now as soon as the shadows start getting longer and the leaves start to turn I feel like putting on hot chocolate and listening to the album.

http://eil.com/images/main/Genesis-Selling-England-B-389837.jpg

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 3

Winding down the marathon and have just listened to "Calling All Stations".

Having only listened to this album a handful of time since it's release I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation of it.

Ray Wilson is a great singer and I can't help but think that this would have been a greater success under any other name than Genesis.

That being said, I actually prefer it over Phil's last Genesis album, "We Can't Dance".

As I listened to "We Can't Dance" yesterday I thought it was too ballad heavy and was thinking it should have been a Phil Collins solo album.

I found myself wishing that if "We Can't Dance" is, in fact, the last Genesis album, I wish they would have gone out with a bang, not a whimper.

The song writing is fine, the sound and production is fine...it just was too far into the soft rock arena for my taste.

I found myself craving another spin of "Selling England By the Pound".

• Like 2

Winding down the marathon and have just listened to "Calling All Stations".

Having only listened to this album a handful of time since it's release I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation of it.

Ray Wilson is a great singer and I can't help but think that this would have been a greater success under any other name than Genesis.

That being said, I actually prefer it over Phil's last Genesis album, "We Can't Dance".

As I listened to "We Can't Dance" yesterday I thought it was too ballad heavy and was thinking it should have been a Phil Collins solo album.

I found myself wishing that if "We Can't Dance" is, in fact, the last Genesis album, I wish they would have gone out with a bang, not a whimper.

The song writing is fine, the sound and production is fine...it just was too far into the soft rock arena for my taste.

I found myself craving another spin of "Selling England By the Pound".

I'm no big fan of CAS. It is a shame though that Ray Wilson wa never given a fair chance to spread his wings. We'll never know what would have happened. if the tour hadn't bombed.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick...

You should go give "Calling All Stations" another listen...I'm glad I did.

I found a bunch of B-sides, demos, etc. from CAS.

Good stuff, indeed!

http://www.genesis-news.com/media/genesis/cas/cas_header.jpg

I totally get an autumnal feel from W&W. Oddly, I get the same from Selling England By The Pound. I first got into the album during the autumn (years later--I was three years old when it was first released :) ), and combined with that famous promo shot of them in Central Park it got etched in my memory. Those skeletal trees and wash of grey are so familiar to any of us who've lived through Northeast Autumns. So now as soon as the shadows start getting longer and the leaves start to turn I feel like putting on hot chocolate and listening to the album.

http://eil.com/images/main/Genesis-Selling-England-B-389837.jpg

I have artists and particular albums that speak to me seasonally like that, in particular. Joni Mitchell and Simon and Garfunkel, specifically- I always associate them with autumn and winter.

As far as Genesis is concerned, I've always been partial to the Gabriel era (which I've only just been exposed to over the past year or so). The Collins era was/has always been too pop-oriented for my tastes. But I've been thinking maybe I should give them a bit more listening time.

ReGorLaTroy, you have quite a way with words in your description above, too. It's dazzling, honestly.