Best Modern/Neo-prog band

The Owl

Okay the classifications for this poll is that the band's first album could not have been released before 1980....in all sub-generas of prog....including progressive metal

thats the stipulation.......

so vote

This is the page I used

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_progressive_rock

pretty cool

I know Marillion formed in 79, but they are still concidered part of the modern prog scene

also prog bands that formed post 1980 but are drivative of pre 1980 prog bands like Yes (ABWH, and Asia) are not included

a

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, if a banana was pointed at my head ............. opeth ?

Being as Prog is a bit of a non-sequitur where most of these bands are concerned, and constrained by the fact that I don't listen to music that can be described as modern - although Opeth are a modern band that I do like, but they are just a Scandinavian Death Metal band - I cast my vote for Marillion, as they were a Genesis rip-off band, who to get their own USP against all the NWOBHM bands they were competing against decided to use the Prog angle, and became the first of the neo-prog bands. Sorry if this rambles, but I've been in the shop after work and drunk a few bottles of el-vino. Hic.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 6 2008, 05:15 PM)
Porcupine Tree for me.

closly followed by DT

Yep biggrin.gif

I went with Spock's Beard. Loved them during the Neal Morse years.

Porcupine Tree may be the better "band" (although it's really one man's vision), but I only have one of their albums. Spock's Beard, I have nearly their entire catalog.

Well I don't know about labels, neo-prog, geo-prog or Leo the lion prog or whether some of those bands are even comparable in that way, but my favourite band in the list right now is Opeth, with a handful of others bunched up behind them.

So tough. I like quite a few of these bands. Porcupine Tree gets it though. Best new Prog out there, followed by Frost*.

Thanks for creating this companion thread Owl. I can't vote as I've only heard material by five or six of the groups listed, and of those, only one of them have I heard more than one album.

I'm glad you made a separate poll. While undoubtedly many of these groups make albums that have the characteristics of progressive rock, the sound of neo-prog or modern day prog is usually so vastly different than that of 70's prog, that it makes sense to keep the genres somewhat separated, at least in my mind. The two eras just sound so vastly different IMHO, and comparing groups between the two eras seems a little weird...

Archived