Best Modern/Neo-prog band

The Owl

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 7 2008, 09:24 PM)
Kings X destroy every band in this poll IMO......

That's as maybe, but why are they there in the first place? They sure ain't a Prog band, my mate Manny assures me of that.

It's a crap poll anyway, because Anekrimson, I mean Anekdoten aren't in it. The future's bright, the future's orange.

Why aren't Iron Maiden on the list either?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 8 2008, 03:19 PM)
alot of you need to listen to Spock's Beard if you have not yet..........a great band

yes.gif with neil morse

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 8 2008, 02:23 PM)
alot of you need to listen to Spock's Beard if you have not yet..........a great band

yes.gif with neil morse

I like the post-morse era as well..... though not as proggy (still enough to be concidered prog however) the post-morse era is still good..

I enjoyed the self title album and the live album very much

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 8 2008, 03:26 PM)

yes.gif with neil morse

I like the post-morse era as well..... though not as proggy (still enough to be concidered prog however) the post-morse era is still good..

they did a live album without neal ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 8 2008, 03:32 PM)

yes.gif with neil morse

yes they did.

Listening to disc one of snow for the first time in a long while.

Neal is the man!

I just read that the SB Drummer Nick D'Virgilio did a recording of the lamb lies down on broadway with a upcoming one time show in Nashville TN.

I am so glad I got to see SB with Neal. They opened for DT and Portnoy came out on stage and played a tune wearing a KISS mask! I think it was during June...........

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 8 2008, 02:32 PM)

yes.gif with neil morse

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Spocks-beard-live-2008-album-cover.jpg

This was released this year...

and it has all of "as far as the mind can see" epic on it...

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 8 2008, 05:31 PM)
Id also reccomend trying out Riverside....another great band

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Good band!

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 8 2008, 05:55 PM)
Probably my favorite new "proggy" record is the most recent RPWL album, called "The RPWL Experience". GREAT stuff!!

You MUST get "RPWL Live: Start The Fire". Wait until you hear "Welcome to the Machine" with headphones. The guitar player gets great tone.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 8 2008, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 8 2008, 05:31 PM)
Id also reccomend trying out Riverside....another great band

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Good band!

Just discovered them myself about 3 months or so ago

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 9 2008, 07:30 PM)
I need to check out some TMV

Yeah you really should.

Start with their 2003 debut De-Loused in the Comatorium.

Lots of fast guitar riffs, explosive drumming, delicate keyboard work, manic vocals (kinda like a combo of Geddy & Robert Plant), & fantastic Latin rhythms.

The bass is great too.

Pretty much all of the instrumentation is stupendous.

Why do pollsters always forget to put an "other" option? Even if the list is extensive like it is here, the "other" option is still called for, if not just to cover all one's bases. No?

QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 10 2008, 04:19 PM)
Why do pollsters always forget to put an "other" option? Even if the list is extensive like it is here, the "other" option is still called for, if not just to cover all one's bases. No?

I didn't put an other option for the 70's prog rock poll, but then I knew for a fact that I was being ridiculously comprehensive. All the bands I left out would never ever have gotten a vote.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 10 2008, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 10 2008, 04:19 PM)

I didn't put an other option for the 70's prog rock poll, but then I knew for a fact that I was being ridiculously comprehensive. All the bands I left out would never ever have gotten a vote.

Just check out the list of bands that are listed on prog archives there are alot............

Archived