The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 15 2011, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 13 2011, 02:49 PM)
Apparently the new album is called "Fly From Here"... good name I guess...

^ if that's true, that's an old name

Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes wrote the Yes song 'We Can Fly From Here' in 1980

They are rerecording that left over track from the Drama sessions and it is the title track of the new album.

QUOTE (spacement @ Mar 15 2011, 09:47 PM)

They are rerecording that left over track from the Drama sessions and it is the title track of the new album.

That sounds like they're out of ideas before they start...

"Yeah let's use that song from a 30 year old recording session and we'll name the album after it as well! All we need now are few leftover tracks from the leftovers of the Tormato sessions that didn't get on the remaster as bonus tracks! Now we're really getting a brand "new" album together..."

wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 02:35 PM)
Hey you Yes freaks talking about the new album...

What about the first album?? It's f***ing good!

The remastered sound is great too and Bruford owns!!

ohmy.gif

The first two albums are f***ing great!! Some of the best stuff right there.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 14 2011, 11:42 PM)
The new singer blows chunks on this one.
Really. This dosen't sound that good.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/x_ETPQWPHeU

My issue is that Jon currently still sings pretty much as well as in the 70s which is remarkable compared to other vocalists from that era and would sound better than this new guy on his best day.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 15 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 03:35 PM)
Hey you Yes freaks talking about the new album...

What about the first album?? It's f***ing good!

The remastered sound is great too and Bruford owns!!

ohmy.gif

You are just now waking up to this?

laugh.gif

I'm a fairly NEW Yes observer...

Certainly early Yes anyway...

trink38.gif

YES and Time and a Word are among my most favorite of Yes albums.

My favorite is Going for the One.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 15 2011, 02:43 PM)

That song is on the new album. Trevor Horn is the producer.

And there are 'reports' that Geoff Downes is the keyboardist on the new album. Those same 'reports' say that he will replace O. Wakeman.

We'll see.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Mar 15 2011, 08:26 PM)

My issue is that Jon currently still sings pretty much as well as in the 70s which is remarkable compared to other vocalists from that era and would sound better than this new guy on his best day.

I'm not so sure about this.

Jon, in his current schedule, has a lot of time between gigs, and aside from the occasional symphonic show, is not competing with a loud band in order to sing.

Given his health condition, no matter how much better he gets, I don't really know if he could stand a full-scale Yes tour (at least the way that HoweSquireWhite are doing it these days). I suspect it would be bad for Jon's health.

I'm not big on Benoit either... he's ok. But Yes music deserves better than ok. They also deserve better than the geriatric tempos at which most of their "classics" are currently played. Drove me batshit at the 2009 show we saw. (actually it bothered me so much that we left halfway through, and I've never walked out of a Yes show before). So disappointing...

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Mar 16 2011, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Mar 15 2011, 08:26 PM)

I'm not so sure about this.

Jon, in his current schedule, has a lot of time between gigs, and aside from the occasional symphonic show, is not competing with a loud band in order to sing.

Given his health condition, no matter how much better he gets, I don't really know if he could stand a full-scale Yes tour (at least the way that HoweSquireWhite are doing it these days). I suspect it would be bad for Jon's health.

I'm not big on Benoit either... he's ok. But Yes music deserves better than ok. They also deserve better than the geriatric tempos at which most of their "classics" are currently played. Drove me batshit at the 2009 show we saw. (actually it bothered me so much that we left halfway through, and I've never walked out of a Yes show before). So disappointing...

I've been a Yes fan since the mid-70s. This band is not Yes, no matter how hard they try to be. Though Squire is larger than ever...and he still plays pretty good too wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2011, 10:52 PM)

"Yeah let's use that song from a 30 year old recording session and we'll name the album after it as well! All we need now are few leftover tracks from the leftovers of the Tormato sessions that didn't get on the remaster as bonus tracks! Now we're really getting a brand "new" album together..."

wacko.gif

My already low expectations for this new album just bottomed out. I was holding my tongue because Trevor Horn was producing it, and you can't really go wrong there. But come on!! "Fly From Here?"

I will also predict this - there is no way in Hell Trevor Horn is going to sing. Him replacing Jon Anderson in 1980 was a registered and trademarked disaster, and he knew it. He will never subject himself to this again.

If Geoff Downes is playing keyboards, fine. They might as well do another Yes and Asia tour, and this time, Geoff can just stay out there as well as Steve. Imagine if you could also get Alan White and Chris Squire to join Asia!

wacko.gif

And I'm sorry, but this talk of a long composition on the new album, long like Close to the Edge or Gates of Delirium? I promise you the only thing it will have in common with those great songs is its duration. That is where all similarities will end, sadly. I'd love to be wrong about this, but too much experience has taught me that Yes stopped making epically great music in 1977.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 16 2011, 01:28 PM)

wacko.gif

My already low expectations for this new album just bottomed out. I was holding my tongue because Trevor Horn was producing it, and you can't really go wrong there. But come on!! "Fly From Here?"

I will also predict this - there is no way in Hell Trevor Horn is going to sing. Him replacing Jon Anderson in 1980 was a registered and trademarked disaster, and he knew it. He will never subject himself to this again.

If Geoff Downes is playing keyboards, fine. They might as well do another Yes and Asia tour, and this time, Geoff can just stay out there as well as Steve. Imagine if you could also get Alan White and Chris Squire to join Asia!

wacko.gif

And I'm sorry, but this talk of a long composition on the new album, long like Close to the Edge or Gates of Delirium? I promise you the only thing it will have in common with those great songs is its duration. That is where all similarities will end, sadly. I'd love to be wrong about this, but too much experience has taught me that Yes stopped making epically great music in 1977.

Fly from Here shouldn't be the title track it shold be the Japanese bonus track...

AlienSmiley.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 19 2011, 05:09 PM)
I had a dream I was listening to Fly From Here and it was the best album since GFTO... My dream will come true yes.gif

To some Yesfans, that may not take much effort laugh.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Mar 22 2011, 05:36 AM)
The setlist for this tour is shorter than ever.

Ahh yes, the good ol' days when they had a young singer and the band played for hours....

Oh, wait, that was in 2004 with some old dude singing.....trying to remember his name.......

Anderson, I think.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 22 2011, 12:41 PM)

Ahh yes, the good ol' days when they had a young singer and the band played for hours....

Oh, wait, that was in 2004 with some old dude singing.....trying to remember his name.......

Anderson, I think.

rofl3.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 17 2011, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 16 2011, 01:28 PM)

wacko.gif

wacko.gif

Fly from Here shouldn't be the title track it shold be the Japanese bonus track...

AlienSmiley.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 22 2011, 07:41 AM)

Anderson, I think.

Exactly.