Have you ever been shocked

Chicklette

I was trying to get my horse out of her paddock, and I grabbed the latch and almost dropped to the ground. The electric fence was shorting out onto the gate that was attached to the latch.

My whole body hurt after that.

QUOTE (Chicklette @ Oct 28 2008, 06:53 PM)
Have you ever gotten shocked by a light, toaster, etc?

I just got shocked by a light in our cellar here...supposedly I've been warned about ot but I don't remember confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Any stories? popcorn.gif

I hope you're alright honey. Make sure your mom has the landlord check that damn thing. Until then... don't touch it again.

One time, we had one of those small rooms for storage under the staircase. It had a lightswitch on the wall outside and it had an indicator light under the switch that was covered by metal. I was in the other room and heard a zzzzt sound. I went in and found Chicklette's brother, Damebag lying on the ground crying. He was holding his hand. I checked it out and there was no damage, but it was definitley warm. I looked at the wall and he'd made a ladder out of play tables and chairs and must have touched the indicator light. It was also charred up and OBVIOUS that something had happened. So what do I do??? I touch it too. ZZZZZT!!!! My arm recoiled from the shock and then I had a blackened finger too. z7shysterical.gif Damebag was now laughing hysterically at me for doing the same damn thing that he'd done.

Since he now thought it was a joke, i had to disconnect the light and cover it. doh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 28 2008, 06:05 PM)

I just got shocked by a light in our cellar here...supposedly I've been warned about ot but I don't remember confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Any stories? popcorn.gif 

I hope you're alright honey. Make sure your mom has the landlord check that damn thing. Until then... don't touch it again.

One time, we had one of those small rooms for storage under the staircase. It had a lightswitch on the wall outside and it had an indicator light under the switch that was covered by metal. I was in the other room and heard a zzzzt sound. I went in and found Chicklette's brother, Damebag lying on the ground crying. He was holding his hand. I checked it out and there was no damage, but it was definitley warm. I looked at the wall and he'd made a ladder out of play tables and chairs and must have touched the indicator light. It was also charred up and OBVIOUS that something had happened. So what do I do??? I touch it too. ZZZZZT!!!! My arm recoiled from the shock and then I had a blackened finger too. z7shysterical.gif Damebag was now laughing hysterically at me for doing the same damn thing that he'd done.

Since he now thought it was a joke, i had to disconnect the light and cover it. doh.gif

rofl3.gif

Yea I'm okayy biggrin.gif

Trust me I wont be touching that thing again laugh.gif

Nice job in doing what damebag did laugh.gif

I was always wondering what the story was behind that covered up broken light in there...thanks for telling me! laugh.gif

I accidentally made contact with something I shouldn't have when I was working on a control console about 20 years ago. It gave me a good jolt and it hurt like crazy. The weird part is that I remember the sensation of the electricity arcing through my chest.

QUOTE (Chicklette @ Oct 28 2008, 07:10 PM)

laugh.gif

Any stories? popcorn.gif 

rofl3.gif

I was always wondering what the story was behind that covered up broken light in there...thanks for telling me! laugh.gif

Glad that you are alright.

Your Dad is a goof. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Oct 28 2008, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Chicklette @ Oct 28 2008, 07:10 PM)

laugh.gif

Any stories? popcorn.gif 

rofl3.gif

Glad that you are alright.

Your Dad is a goof. rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

yes.gif he is laugh.gif

wub.gif

The lawn mower. A few years ago the wires came loose from the cable with wear and tear and I was too slack to at least tape it up, eventually one day I touched the bare wires with my fingers and the shock went right up my arm before I could get my hand off the handle. I was shocked to say the least, nothing serious though. It felt like a stronger version of those occasional nerve pains you get in your neck when you suddenly twist it around, or is that just me who gets those? Could have been worse, and the lawn was finished nicely.

smile.gif

I once got a nasty shock from a defibrillator whist I was resucitating someone. It was my own fault as i realised just as i was about to deliver the shock, that I hadn't isolated the Oxygen supply.

I wasn't quick enough and made contact with the patient just as the shock was discharged, and it bloody well hurt!

Still, despite my best efforts, the patient survived, but I felt pretty crap for the rest of the day....

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Oct 28 2008, 05:56 PM)
I was trying to get my horse out of her paddock, and I grabbed the latch and almost dropped to the ground. The electric fence was shorting out onto the gate that was attached to the latch.

That reminds me of the time I was a kid in upstate New York working on a dairy farm for the summer. My older brother worked there too and he instructed me to go stand outside at the end of the barn to prevent this cow that they were letting out the side door from going around the barn and getting away. Well, I'm just standing there waiting and getting bored so I put out my hand to lean against the side of the barn. All of a sudden there was a jolt through my whole body. I whipped my head around to see the cow that had rammed me from behind but nothing was there. WTF? I look around wondering what the hell hit me when I finally notice the electric fence wire running up the side of the barn right where I had put my hand. Duh.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Oct 28 2008, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Oct 28 2008, 05:56 PM)
I was trying to get my horse out of her paddock, and I grabbed the latch and almost dropped to the ground.  The electric fence was shorting out onto the gate that was attached to the latch.

That reminds me of the time I was a kid in upstate New York working on a dairy farm for the summer. My older brother worked there too and he instructed me to go stand outside at the end of the barn to prevent this cow that they were letting out the side door from going around the barn and getting away. Well, I'm just standing there waiting and getting bored so I put out my hand to lean against the side of the barn. All of a sudden there was a jolt through my whole body. I whipped my head around to see the cow that had rammed me from behind but nothing was there. WTF? I look around wondering what the hell hit me when I finally notice the electric fence wire running up the side of the barn right where I had put my hand. Duh.

laugh.gif ouch

bekloppt.gif

I've never had a serious shock but I get a small little one each and every single time I get out of my car. It's really annoying.

A while back though, at an old job, my boss was trying to unjam some paper with a piece of cutlery from the copy machine while the machine was still plugged in. I asked him if he wanted me to make him a hat out of aluminum foil too... he laughed. I unplugged the machine for him.

You know, it's really easy to grab for the knife or fork to get the stuck piece of toast out of the toaster. It's almost instinctive. I've never almost fried myself doing this, but I can see how it happens.

When I was a kid, we had one of those rolling dishwashers that you plugged into the electric socket and onto the faucet. Well, I couldn't reach the socket as it was at the end of the counter, so I climbed up onto the counter by the sink and grabbed the faucet with one hand and I had the plug in the other. Well, when I went to plug it in I guess I completed the circuit, cuz I got launched off the counter. doh.gif

When I was in the Air Force we had one guy get it really good. We had a testing station set up in our shop for the search and weather radar system. We used it to run test on the receiver transmitter for the radar. When you were done running the R/T, you needed to discharge the capacitors, as they will hold a charge for a long time. We had a tool with a ground wire on it for that job. So this one dude liked to discharge the biggest capacitor first, because it had so much juice in it that it made a HUGE pop. Well, he made the mistake of holding on to the grounding wire. It is shielded in plastic, so there shouldn't be a problem, but the shielding had formed a crack, and he just so happened to grab it there. When he hit the capacitor with the grounding rod, the jolt was so strong, it picked this guy up and threw him about 10 feet. Nobody ever held onto the grounding wire again after that. laugh.gif

I've had plenty of run-ins with electric fences...

A couple of months ago, I was changing a light fixture in my daughter's bathroom. I had the switch off (just like every other fixture I had changed) but this one was wired differently...one wire was always hot. I grabbed it and BAM!

Needless to say...now I ALWAYS throw the breaker.

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 29 2008, 02:27 PM)
I don't recall getting any shocks, but that could be just my selective memory.

confused13.gif

Great stories though.

Or it could be that the shocks erased the memory of the shocks. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 29 2008, 09:38 AM)
I've never had a serious shock but I get a small little one each and every single time I get out of my car. It's really annoying.

The same thing used to happen to me all the time, but I figured out a way to avoid it. What you do is after opening the door but before getting out of the seat, take your hand and put it on the outside of the car making sure you're touching metal and then go ahead and slide out of the seat. This effectively grounds you and you won't get shocked anymore. Try it.

Archived