Neil Peart - pretentious?

rushdownunder

Speaking of meeting brilliant writers, I'll be getting an autograph by author Nicholas Sparks this Friday. A new book titled "The Lucky One" just hit store shelves.

He wrote "Nights in Rodanthe", "The Guardian", "The Notebook", "Message in a Bottle". These have been made into films.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (questrider @ Sep 30 2008, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 30 2008, 03:53 AM)
What really irks me about Mr P and his privacy stance is that one of my travelling companions once he knew that Neil was in the restaurant didn't then want to go himself in case it upset Captain Happy, now that's just not on because a Restaurant is a public place where the public are free to go as they please. For someone's attitude to make somebody feel as if they can't do what they wanted to, it's not right.

That has nothing to do with Mr. Peart as much as it does your friend being a little too self-conscious about a celebrity's privacy stance. Neil's attitude didn't make your traveling companion to feel as if they can't do what they wanted to, your traveling companion made themselves feel like that. Neil has no problem eating in a public restaurant, even if it was filled with Rush fans. What he doesn't like is if they stare and then try to approach him to talk or get an autograph from him. What can be discussed for 10 seconds besides "I love your music." Like he hasn't heard that one a billion times. What does an autograph on a napkin do for an adult? Approaching any celebrity you don't know is going to be an uncomfortable experience for everyone involved, especially if you know that celebrity isn't akin to having fans approach them. In the case of Neil eating at a restaurant filled with Rush fans? If everybody in the restaurant minded their business, then no one is bothered, most of all, Neil, because he won't even know they're all Rush fans if they behave. Your friend exhibited quite ridiculous behavior to not go into a restaurant because he knew Peart was in there because he thought Neil was thinking, "I hope no Rush fans come into this restaurant because I'm here." He couldn't care less who is in the restaurant. Now if your friend went into the restaurant, stared at Peart the entire time and then approached him to talk or get an autograph, then he's crossed the line that he knows Peart isn't fond of. Maybe your traveling companion knew he couldn't behave himself in a restaurant with one of his heroes present and opted out because of his own fears of how he would react to the situation?

No. You are Completely wrong about my mate. He knows how to behave in the presence of a Peart. We all did. We know that you do not approach, you do try to engage in conversation, you do not make eye contact, you do not stare, you do not offer him a Bamse. We did none of these things. We know our place. We know we are not worthy to be in the presence of Neil.

My mate was put off going into the restaurant purely because he knows of NEPs attitude to his fans, and thought it might upset Neil. My mate is a bloke in his 40s who knows how to behave, there was no chance of him going to bother Neil. None of us did. Plus if you know that Neil is comfortable in a restaurant full of Rush fans, why did he hide his face from us when we were shown to our table? If we hadn't been sure of who he was we'd have known then.

I sometimes think Captain Happy thinks he's more famous than he is. Outside the realm of Rush fans nobody knows who he is. Some degree of intrusion into your life is a corollary of "fame" Neil knows that, he's not stupid, He just wants to have his cake and eat it, and have a bit more cake too.

As I said If Mrs Troll had been there she would have gone up and talked to him - she's a woman, women are like that - if only to find out if he was more ignorant than Justin Hayward.

I once spent an afternoon with Colin Welland at a rained off Creekit match. He's an Oscar winner you know, he was in Z-Cars too. I didn't bother him either - although the fat ugly tw** would probably have revelled in being recognised. I once shared a resturant car on a train with Mick McGahey and Tony Benn - people with a much higher level of "fame" in England than Neil had ever had. I didn't bother them either, even though I had an irresistable urge to kick the shit out of the Commie Bastards.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 30 2008, 03:56 PM)
you do not offer him a Bamse.

Please, for the love of all that isn't holy, explain this phrase. I saw where one of your earlier incarnations used it, and I could only find one definition of "Bamse". It's a missile-defense system manufactured by Saab.

Why would anyone, Rush fan or not, offer NEP a missile defense system? Because they had a spare one and it takes up too much room in the garage?

My mate was put off going into the restaurant purely because he knows of NEPs attitude to his fans, and thought it might upset Neil. My mate is a bloke in his 40s who knows how to behave, there was no chance of him going to bother Neil. None of us did. Plus if you know that Neil is comfortable in a restaurant full of Rush fans, why did he hide his face from us when we were shown to our table? If we hadn't been sure of who he was we'd have known then.
I sometimes think Captain Happy thinks he's more famous than he is. Outside the realm of Rush fans nobody knows who he is. Some degree of intrusion into your life is a corollary of "fame" Neil knows that, he's not stupid, He just wants to have his cake and eat it, and have a bit more cake too.
As I said If Mrs Troll had been there she would have gone up and talked to him - she's a woman, women are like that - if only to find out if he was more ignorant than Justin Hayward.

I once spent an afternoon with Colin Welland at a rained off Creekit match. He's an Oscar winner you know, he was in Z-Cars too. I didn't bother him either - although the fat ugly tw** would probably have revelled in being recognised. I once shared a resturant car on a train with Mick McGahey and Tony Benn - people with a much higher level of "fame" in England than Neil had ever had. I didn't bother them either, even though I had an irresistable urge to kick the shit out of the Commie Bastards.

So if everyone had behaved appropriately in his presence, why would Neil be uncomfortable? How would he even know that any of you were fans? This makes no sense. Nor does it make sense that he would shield his face from you, unless he was doing so for everyone else. Does Neil have fan-dar? That mate of yours needs a good shot of self esteem if he was worried so much about Neil, in a public place yet.

I agree that most people would not recognize him, I doubt I would. He looks like any middle aged guy off the street. The least recognizable people make the biggest deal with the hiding. I was in a restaurant and some guy was doing that, no one had any idea who he was. Then he gets up and goes to the salad bar in the middle of the place, all the while shielding his face. No one had been looking at him but he created this big mystique by his actions. Then everyone began whispering and wondering, finally some 12 yr old figured out he had been on some reality show with a cult following of pre-teens. Woah. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 30 2008, 04:06 PM)
you do not offer him a Bamse.

Please, for the love of all that isn't holy, explain this phrase. I saw where one of your earlier incarnations used it, and I could only find one definition of "Bamse". It's a missile-defense system manufactured by Saab.

Why would anyone, Rush fan or not, offer NEP a missile defense system? Because they had a spare one and it takes up too much room in the garage?

Sorry, it's an in joke.

When I was out Stalking Rush in Scandinavia, some of the guys developed a love for a Swedish sausage called a Bamse in Stockholm.

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Sep 30 2008, 08:50 PM)
Neil Peart is taking lessons with Peter Erskine right now, especially working on hi-hats and cymbals. He's getting ready for the Buddy Rich Concert... 2.gif 1022.gif

Awesome! I think news like that is good for young players to know, the fact that someone like Neil Peart still takes lessons.

Too many amateur students are of the "I don't need to practice" crowd, but when you hear of someone like Virgil Donati who still practices every day, that's got to make you break out the sticks!

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 30 2008, 07:17 PM)
Neil Peart is taking lessons with Peter Erskine right now, especially working on hi-hats and cymbals. He's getting ready for the Buddy Rich  Concert... 2.gif  1022.gif

Awesome! I think news like that is good for young players to know, the fact that someone like Neil Peart still takes lessons.

Too many amateur students are of the "I don't need to practice" crowd, but when you hear of someone like Virgil Donati who still practices every day, that's got to make you break out the sticks!

I was wondering who would appreciate my news...and here is the source, a personal friend whom I work with grew up with Neil and I asked him today, Have you talked to Neil lately and then he said just this past weekend... 2.gif 1022.gif

Oh those grapevines of Hollywood.

Its who ya know.

Then those friends show up...

jk

cool TGL

=)

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Oct 2 2008, 11:40 PM)
Hakky...here's another budline update, at the Neil Peart Concert this month, I believe at the Hammersmith New York, THE debut of Buddy Richs' Grandson on drums...ya vol. 2.gif 1022.gif

Get your tickets! Here's a 2.gif tip 1022.gif live streaming will be available of our beloved drum hero... 2.gif 1022.gif as Buddy Richs' Grandson will be playing also on drums. 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Oct 3 2008, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Oct 2 2008, 11:40 PM)
Hakky...here's another budline update, at the Neil Peart Concert this month, I believe at the Hammersmith New York, THE debut of Buddy Richs' Grandson on drums...ya vol. 2.gif  1022.gif

Get your tickets! Here's a 2.gif tip 1022.gif live streaming will be available of our beloved drum hero... 2.gif 1022.gif as Buddy Richs' Grandson will be playing also on drums. 2.gif 1022.gif

Yes. . .live streaming available here (I know there's a thread on it but some may have missed it):

http://www.drumchannel.com/

Neil Peart is taking lessons with Peter Erskine right now, especially working on hi-hats and cymbals. He's getting ready for the Buddy Rich Concert... 2.gif 1022.gif

That's great! Erskine can swing great. He was in Stan Kenton's band , the late, great Jaco Pastorius' band and of course Weather Report and Steps Ahead.

It is such a shame however that Neil is recently (since the whole Burning For Buddy "enterprise") becoming a fan of Jazz. He missed out on seeing so many great drummers (including Buddy who he never saw believe it or not!).

I would bet Neil never saw (nor wanted to see):

Gene Krupa

Louis Bellson

Tony Williams

Art Blakey

Elvin Jones

Kenny Clarke

Kenny Clare

Papa Joe Jones

Philly Joe Jones

Had he listened to these great drummers and actually gone and see them he would not be playing catch up on trying to play jazz.

Steve Smith on the other hand listened to all of them and saw most of them!

Maybe Neil should go to Steve for lessons too! smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 25 2008, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Karena @ Sep 25 2008, 01:54 PM)
The stuff on that site is actually pretty funny.  Those motivational posters and calendars always made me want
to  062802puke_prv.gif .

I don't know if Neil Peart is pretentious or not but, like many talented artists, he seems lacking in common sense and reasoning skills.  If he thinks people will leave him alone because he writes about himself, he doesn't understand human nature very well.  That only serves to interest people more and in a more personal way.  The modesty seems false, even if not intentionally so, because the guy knows he's a (the?) top drummer and it's only logical that people respond to that. 

One of the Demotivators was Clueless, I think I would have listed NEP there...

goodpost.gif

definitely got a point there.....

goodpost.gif

ranton.gif

We seem to see a lot of this type of post eh? I mean how many times can someone say "he's an ass" or "he doesn't like me because I'm fat"?

Who really cares...

Let me ask a question...answer it if you like, but it's more for me...

You are walking down the street...Neil Peart is walk directly toward you in the other direction...

For me having never laid eyes on him from anywhere closer than the front row, this would be a really cool thing in my life just to simply see him up close and personal, even for just a moment after 28 years of listening to albums, seeing concerts and thinking these guys are the best...connecting with the music...and that he's the best. (IMO)

What would you do when you guys actually got within 5 feet of each other?

Run up and get down on one knee and thank him for the music? Tell him he's the best ever? (pretty sure he's heard that). Cry? Wet yourself?

Just note that you are about to walk by Neil Peart who for some of us think IS the greatest of all time in a band that is the greatest of all time....what would I try very hard to do? Wave...smile and don't break stride. I'll bet as long as you don't look like some crazed stalker or ask him to sign your underwear, he'd probably wave back....or not...WHO CARES? Because at that end of the day, I just walked by him...what a treat that would be!

This is what Rush does...

1. Write songs

2. Make Albums

3. Tour

As long as they are doing that, I'm a happy, fat American he could care less about, but I could care less what he thinks of me as long as he does 1 through 3.

He's a guy...Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. trink38.gif

rantoff.gif

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 25 2008, 04:58 AM)
Apparently the people at Despair, Inc. are of the opinion that Neil is the pretentious type...

http://www.demotivators.com/pretension.html

In life I've learned that the general consensus seems to be that there's nothing wrong with being smart, knowledgeable, talented, experienced, artistic and worldly-wise, but as soon as you open your mouth and share that with the world, all of a sudden it makes you pretentious.

Neil can't help the fact that he's learnt a thing or two over the years, and the fact that he's able to share these things with us is no bad thing in my book!

But, what do I know?

Of course he's pretentious! Just ask Dave Weckls mechanic! wink.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 11 2008, 03:52 PM)
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=39111&st=0

All the proof that you need that Neil is pretentious.  And one hell of a funny thread.

Memories......

ohmy.gif

Maybe Neil's problem is he is only ever approached by dudes. That would be a bummerrrr. wink.gif Most women seem to only know who Geddy is.

The last time I chased a tour bus it was lots of fun and they loved it. It used to be called flattery or goofing around, before it became "stalking".

Some musicians way more famous than Neil who are cool when approached (at least if you're a chick) - David Lee Roth, Brian May, Dave Groehl.

Just another angle. Hey, if I were a female celebrity always being bothered by adoring women I'd be in a bad mood too. cool.gif

I look at it as ...these guys make music for a living and put on the best live show of any act out there.They entertain us with they musical mastery and have for 30+ years,they are not in the customer service business public relation per say.I've stopped expecting artists that I greatly admire to be a certain way in public a long time ago.People beit in the limelight or otherwise are rarely how they truly are on a one on one basis...Nor should they be.We listen to these people open their hearts and minds in song and we expect that we know them for some strange reason.Enjoy them and admire them for what they do and that's play wonderful music. trink39.gif

Archived