Neil Peart - pretentious?

rushdownunder

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 27 2008, 08:11 AM)
Even if he is, who cares? Can't say I blame him for all the freaks he's run into over the years.

goodpost.gif

I agree!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Jenzin @ Sep 27 2008, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 27 2008, 08:11 AM)
Even if he is, who cares? Can't say I blame him for all the freaks he's run into over the years.

goodpost.gif

I agree!

Yikes! Can you imagine?

QUOTE (job @ Sep 25 2008, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Maestro @ Sep 25 2008, 05:46 AM)
old.gif Rolling Stone Magazine (aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggg) writers have been calling Rush 'pretentious' since Hemispheres...    yes.gif

That was always in reference to their lyrics.

Really? I thought they were referring to the act itself in a general, overall sense...

But they could've been refering to lyrics also, I suppose.

QUOTE (Maestro @ Sep 27 2008, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (job @ Sep 25 2008, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Maestro @ Sep 25 2008, 05:46 AM)
old.gif Rolling Stone Magazine (aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggg) writers have been calling Rush 'pretentious' since Hemispheres...    yes.gif

That was always in reference to their lyrics.

Really? I thought they were referring to the act itself in a general, overall sense...

But they could've been refering to lyrics also, I suppose.

If RS says he's pretentious then I may have to reconsider. They could be called as expert witnesses on pretentious.

When I see interviews with Neil, I don't think he's a pretentious person at all. I think he's actually a shy and humble person who likes his privacy. Many people think of Neil as a mysterious person, but he shares a lot of his personal feelings and thoughts through his lyrics and books. I can honestly understand that it can be irritating or even annoying for a guy like Neil to constantly get harassed by enthusiastic Rush fans..

KING TROLL, I have a question for you: you always say you travelled with Neil and that he was not a good travelling companion, but what I want to know is did you travel with him, or did you stalk him? I'm guessing you stalked him and he didn't liked it and that's why you hate him now? Also, don't you ever get tired of bashing a person on a forum that's dedicated to that persons music? Don't you have something better to do with your life?

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 27 2008, 02:00 PM)
KING TROLL, I have a question for you: you always say you travelled with Neil and that he was not a good travelling companion, but what I want to know is did you travel with him, or did you stalk him? I'm guessing you stalked him and he didn't liked it and that's why you hate him now? Also, don't you ever get tired of bashing a person on a forum that's dedicated to that persons music? Don't you have something better to do with your life?

Well, I have never stalked NEP. I have no desire to, and I have no desire to be with him. But yes, I have travelled with him. On the S&A tour in 07 on my Scandinavian Rush Stalker Tour, we travelled by ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, as did our chum NEP. He didn't appear to like being travelled with though.............

Why shouldn't I give him a good bashing every now and again though when he deserves it? It's good to have a counterpoint to all the fanboi suck-ups anyway. Neil is just a human being like the rest of us, and a flawed one at that - just like the rest of us.

Do I have something better to do with my life? Not really, I have a wife and kid, and anything that gets me away from them is truly welcome smile.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 29 2008, 03:39 AM)

Why shouldn't I give him a good bashing every now and again though when he deserves it? It's good to have a counterpoint to all the fanboi suck-ups anyway. Neil is just a human being like the rest of us, and a flawed one at that - just like the rest of us.

Oddly enough, I'm going to guess that Neil himself would agree with this statement. As long as KT means a verbal bashing, of course. Not beating the stuffing out of NEP.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 29 2008, 09:12 AM)

Oddly enough, I'm going to guess that Neil himself would agree with this statement. As long as KT means a verbal bashing, of course. Not beating the stuffing out of NEP.

Oh absolutely a verbal bashing.

Do I not like physical violence and pain.

And I very much think like Neil that a stranger is not a long awaited friend. I do think that Neil should stop making it so obvious that he thinks that.

I'm a very shy and retiring person in real life, yet whenever I find myself at a Rush related gathering and somebody comes up and says "Say aren't you King Troll" (or whomsoever they believe me to be wink.gif ) I am always polite and cordial with them - even if most of them do want to kill me tongue.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 29 2008, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 29 2008, 09:12 AM)

Oh absolutely a verbal bashing.

Do I not like physical violence and pain.

And I very much think like Neil that a stranger is not a long awaited friend. I do think that Neil should stop making it so obvious that he thinks that.

I'm a very shy and retiring person in real life, yet whenever I find myself at a Rush related gathering and somebody comes up and says "Say aren't you King Troll" (or whomsoever they believe me to be wink.gif ) I am always polite and cordial with them - even if most of them do want to kill me tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

I think that a stranger, though not a long awaited friend, can be a potential friend. Weren't all our friends once strangers? There's just something about being nice and being interested in people. As an introvert also, I think if you reject people just because you don't know them you are missing out on important learning experiences.

So Neil is private and all but he seems to go overboard a bit with the "honesty". He expects people to be sensitive to his desires but he is less than sensitive to his fans in his approach to communicating his feelings about many things. Some information just shouldn't be shared - like how he is so anxious to leave the stage, and that vile countdown. He can feel that way without publicizing it, maybe if he just kept that kind of thing between him and his Circle of BFFs. wink.gif

Well, I have never stalked NEP. I have no desire to, and I have no desire to be with him. But yes, I have travelled with him. On the S&A tour in 07 on my Scandinavian Rush Stalker Tour, we travelled by ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, as did our chum NEP. He didn't appear to like being travelled with though.............

I'm curious KT, how exactly did you come to be a travelling companion to Neil?

You say you have no desire to travel with him, so why would you travel with him? And how did you happen to arrange it, just gave him a call and said "hey Neil, you don't know me, but let's go on a ferry together"?

Just curious! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 29 2008, 08:35 PM)
I'm curious KT, how exactly did you come to be a travelling companion to Neil?

You say you have no desire to travel with him, so why would you travel with him? And how did you happen to arrange it, just gave him a call and said "hey Neil, you don't know me, but let's go on a ferry together"?

Just curious! biggrin.gif

Have I ever said I was his travelling companion?

I travelled with him yes, because we were both on the same ferry biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I also took my evening meal two tables from him in the restaurant. At no time was any attempt made to contact or interract with him in any way, as we were fully cognisant of his feeling towards his fans. Mr Friendly however shielded his face with his hands as we walked by. We treated him with respect, he should treat us with respect too - unless of course he was just taking the piss.

What really irks me about Mr P and his privacy stance is that one of my travelling companions once he knew that Neil was in the restaurant didn't then want to go himself in case it upset Captain Happy, now that's just not on because a Restaurant is a public place where the public are free to go as they please. For someone's attitude to make somebody feel as if they can't do what they wanted to, it's not right. It's a good job Mrs Troll wasn't there, as she believes she has a God given right to go and speak to anybody she thinks she recognises.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 30 2008, 03:53 AM)
I travelled with him yes, because we were both on the same ferry biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Uh, yes, you did actually!

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 25 2008, 04:25 AM)
He doesn't make a very interesting travelling companion either, trust me.

Unless this some more of that trademark sarcasm you've mentioned?

So you seriously consider being on the same ferry as someone makes them your 'travelling companion'? rofl3.gif I'd hate to know what you'd consider it if you stood next to George Michael at a urinal!

The way you've gone on about 'travelling' with him, you make it sound like you actually spent time with him. Why would you consider someone you don't even seem to like a 'companion' anyway?

And if you consider Neil a travelling companion based on the fact that you were on the same ferry, then every other single person on that ferry was your travelling companion as well, so I hope you were'nt rude and spent time with every single one of them!

Sorry KT, but you're overblowing it just a bit.

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 30 2008, 04:23 AM)

Uh, yes, you did actually!

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 25 2008, 04:25 AM)
He doesn't make a very interesting travelling companion either, trust me.

Unless this some more of that trademark sarcasm you've mentioned?

So you seriously consider being on the same ferry as someone makes them your 'travelling companion'? rofl3.gif I'd hate to know what you'd consider it if you stood next to George Michael at a urinal!

The way you've gone on about 'travelling' with him, you make it sound like you actually spent time with him. Why would you consider someone you don't even seem to like a 'companion' anyway?

And if you consider Neil a travelling companion based on the fact that you were on the same ferry, then every other single person on that ferry was your travelling companion as well, so I hope you were'nt rude and spent time with every single one of them!

Sorry KT, but you're overblowing it just a bit.

feck dude, you've got less of a life than me, trawling back through my postings!

Then again I can't remember anything what I've wrote from more than about 10 minutes ago anyway.....

It's a hard life being a King Troll you know, I'm not just trying to wind up people on this forum, there are other Rush forums available too don't you know!

I was nice and respectful to everybody I encountered on the Ferry - even though they were all bloody foreigners - unlike a certain Mr Peart, although he may just be a piss taking barsteward. I can't though understand why a man who values his privacy then goes out to eat in a public Restaurant on a Ferry, and sits facing the entrance where everybody could see him.

My only regret is that I didn't go and ask Brutus to take a picture of me and my proper travelling companions, as we never did get one of all four of us together.

Oh, FYI George Michael is my boyfriend wub.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 30 2008, 04:55 AM)
feck dude, you've got less of a life than me, trawling back through my postings!

True, it's not much of a life, but it's 8 PM on a Tuesday, I'm watching 'The Simpsons', I got a nice cold beverage and there's nothing else to do but feed the trolls I suppose. Besides, it wasn't much of a trawl, you were the first person to respond.

You better start treating George better in the bedroom so he stops running off to public toilets to get his fix!

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 30 2008, 09:13 PM)

True, it's not much of a life, but it's 8 PM on a Tuesday, I'm watching 'The Simpsons', I got a nice cold beverage and there's nothing else to do but feed the trolls I suppose. Besides, it wasn't much of a trawl, you were the first person to respond.

You better start treating George better in the bedroom so he stops running off to public toilets to get his fix!

laugh.gif rofl3.gif biggrin.gif z7shysterical.gif Thats really quite funny Arun. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushdownunder @ Sep 30 2008, 05:13 AM)

look we just happen to like our little Cottage, and to share it's joys with others smile.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 30 2008, 07:14 AM)
look we just happen to like our little Cottage, and to share it's joys with others smile.gif

Just keep him in that cottage and make sure he doesn't get into a recording studio! Toilet stalls are a much better place for him to dish out all of his crap.

Anyway, enough troll bashing. I tell you one thing that I find pretentious in regards to drummers, and that's the ones that try to pass off stuff that's already been done as their own.

One guy I saw a few years ago (I won't name names) was speaking about a 'system' that he claimed to have 'invented' that allowed him to play 'incredibly densely layered' funk and rock patterns.

I took a look at the manuscript of this 'system', and it was stuff that guys like Gadd were playing back in the 70's. Of course, he had heard of Gadd and was influenced by him (him and every other drummer in the world) but still claimed that he had come up with all of the licks.

Oh well, I guess some people will do stupid things for a bit of attention. Look at Amy Winehouse.

What really irks me about Mr P and his privacy stance is that one of my travelling companions once he knew that Neil was in the restaurant didn't then want to go himself in case it upset Captain Happy, now that's just not on because a Restaurant is a public place where the public are free to go as they please. For someone's attitude to make somebody feel as if they can't do what they wanted to, it's not right.

That has nothing to do with Mr. Peart as much as it does your friend being a little too self-conscious about a celebrity's privacy stance. Neil's attitude didn't make your traveling companion to feel as if they can't do what they wanted to, your traveling companion made themselves feel like that. Neil has no problem eating in a public restaurant, even if it was filled with Rush fans. What he doesn't like is if they stare and then try to approach him to talk or get an autograph from him. What can be discussed for 10 seconds besides "I love your music." Like he hasn't heard that one a billion times. What does an autograph on a napkin do for an adult? Approaching any celebrity you don't know is going to be an uncomfortable experience for everyone involved, especially if you know that celebrity isn't akin to having fans approach them. In the case of Neil eating at a restaurant filled with Rush fans? If everybody in the restaurant minded their business, then no one is bothered, most of all, Neil, because he won't even know they're all Rush fans if they behave. Your friend exhibited quite ridiculous behavior to not go into a restaurant because he knew Peart was in there because he thought Neil was thinking, "I hope no Rush fans come into this restaurant because I'm here." He couldn't care less who is in the restaurant. Now if your friend went into the restaurant, stared at Peart the entire time and then approached him to talk or get an autograph, then he's crossed the line that he knows Peart isn't fond of. Maybe your traveling companion knew he couldn't behave himself in a restaurant with one of his heroes present and opted out because of his own fears of how he would react to the situation?

Archived