Platoon

Lamneth08

God, I hate that movie!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 17 2008, 07:32 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

Really? I enjoyed. I have nothing to go on to consider if it is realistic or not but it was enjoyable as a movie. It was also before we realized that you had to be very careful with Stone's movies since he began to care more about espousing certain political viewpoints than entertaining.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 17 2008, 07:43 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

Really? I enjoyed. I have nothing to go on to consider if it is realistic or not but it was enjoyable as a movie. It was also before we realized that you had to be very careful with Stone's movies since he began to care more about espousing certain political viewpoints than entertaining.

I think it's an insult to the brave men who served in Viet Nam. You can be opposed to the war all you want and that's fine, but depicting those men as a bunch of child-raping hooch burners disgusts me.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 17 2008, 06:43 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

I loved it. I don't find it at all dishonorable to Vietnam veterans. Like you, I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I did enjoy it.

Barber's "Adagio For Strings" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, period.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 17 2008, 06:58 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

I think it's an insult to the brave men who served in Viet Nam. You can be opposed to the war all you want and that's fine, but depicting those men as a bunch of child-raping hooch burners disgusts me.

Some of them were (My Lai?), and those individuals had no business being in the US Armed Services to begin with. The vast majority of them were honorable men. The movie depicted both sides.

Having said that, it's the only Oliver Stone movie I've liked. Most of them I haven't even seen. I do not like to be clobbered over the head with anyone's agenda thinly disguised as "entertainment" , thank you very much.

Edited by Marathonist

God, I hate that movie!

The drug use during Vietnam was well known and the child-rape scene was just one piece of the film.

I think it's a stretch to judge the whole movie based on that.

It had both good characters and bad.

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 17 2008, 08:41 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

The drug use during Vietnam was well known and the child-rape scene was just one piece of the film.

I think it's a stretch to judge the whole movie based on that.

It had both good characters and bad.

I'm not telling anyone that they shouldn't like it, I'm just telling you why I don't. OK? Thanks.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 17 2008, 07:58 PM)
God, I hate that movie!

I remember the rape scene in Casualties of War with Michael J fox and Sean Penn. I don't remember a rape scene in Platoon. it's been a while since I've seen it though.

I'm curious about this movie but I've never seen it. If it's anything like Apocalypse Now, I'll probably love it. biggrin.gif

Not my fav Vietnam film but I did enjoy it. Been a long time since I watched it though. As a Living Colour fan, it was cool to see Corey Glover make an appearance in this film.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 18 2008, 02:27 AM)
I liked it for the action and the great acting. It was very far from accurate, however. Not as bad as "The Green Berets," but still not very accurate.

The Green Berets was a horrible flick.

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 18 2008, 11:16 AM)
I forgot how great this was

Any fans?

The characters come across as so believable ...no sugar coating the horrors of what must have gone on.

I saw it at the cinema and it had some cred at the time but that was then. Probably some good scenes in there still, havent seen it for ages.