New Yes Singer

Hatchetaxe&saw

DRAMA kick's ass

that is all

1022.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 8 2008, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 8 2008, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 8 2008, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 8 2008, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 8 2008, 08:28 AM)
Hopefully it's just temporary while Jon recovers from his illness.

I just have this horrible feeling that this means Jon is done as a singer. eh.gif

I started getting into Yes this year and I was hoping they would reschedule that tour that got cancelled, but now I feel really meh about the whole thing.

It could be worse...

I got into Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix this year, and they're both dead!!

laugh.gif

ph34r.gif

That's been the story of my life ever since I was 12 and obsessed with the Beatles. With rare exceptions, all the music I've been into was made by people who hit their creative peak long before I was born. Because of that fact, I tend to be pretty forgiving of old guys undertaking "one last tour," since I'm selfish and wouldn't get to see them otherwise. But I still feel like this is the equivalent of Ray Wilson joining Genesis in place of Phil Collins.

Related: I seem to I recall Bruford referring to Yes as their own tribute band in a recent documentary-- or was that the Moody Blues? (Both bands that I like, incidentally, and I've seen the latter live. ph34r.gif )

Bruford may have been alluding to the fact that on the three of the last four tours, Yes have not been touring in support new material, but rather relying heavily on their back catalog. Kind of a tribute to themselves.

It sucks for people like you, and Jaye, and Xanadu93, who have not seen Yes in concert before. The DVD's I mentioned are all good, and you may have to be satisfied with them, at least for now.

As an open-minded Yesfan (though older members might have a little more experience than I do), I will take probably any DVD, be it 9012Live, Yessongs, Live at Q.P.R., Philadephia 1979, or the newer ones. I am also open to a new tour should one happen, even if this new fellow is vocalist. Steve, Chris, and Alan are still there, keeping the Yes flame going, and if that's all of the "classic lineup" that I can get, then so be it.

(BTW, I'm not mad, I'm actually a little glad about this new guy. Perhaps there might be a tour....)

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 8 2008, 03:09 PM)

It sucks for people like you, and Jaye, and Xanadu93, who have not seen Yes in concert before. The DVD's I mentioned are all good, and you may have to be satisfied with them, at least for now.

yes.gif Sad to say, I have to agree.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 8 2008, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Sep 8 2008, 02:48 PM)
Renember when they tired this and called it Drama?

*shudder*

Excuse me, but it sounds like you're implying that Drama isn't totally awesome.

To be serious for a moment-- I checked out that YouTube video and I'm impressed, despite myself. I feel really, really conflicted about tribute bands, though (nothing against anyone on this forum who's actually IN a tribute band...ph34r.gif )

laugh.gif bekloppt.gif

(for the record, we just play the music, we don't get dressed up like the musicians...to me that's a bit weird..)

Drama worked because they didn't hire a soundalike and keep doing the same thing they were doing before. That album does a great job with balancing the prog thing with the new wave influence that the Buggles guys brought in.

The reason this new replacement fails is because he sounds literally identical to Jon. Like, if I didn't know it was the singer from a cover band I would have thought I was just listening to Yes live. So you know that with him, they're either going to continue on the nostalgia-tour path and just become what Guns N' Roses and KISS have become, cover bands that happen to own the rights to the name; or they're going to make new music that sounds exactly like the rest of their music.

Either way, it's not a good idea.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 8 2008, 08:26 PM)
fists crying.gif WHYY JON ANDERSON WHYYYYYYYYYY fists crying.gif

Im just glad I was able to meet ole' Jonny and see him perform live...

I hope things go back to the way they were. sad.gif

Im praying that he has a speedy recovery and that he will be able to rejoin Yes soon.

(edited for grammar)

If my math skills serve me correctly, this would be the 15th member of Yes.

All talented people, but ladies and gentlemen, that is a rugby team.....

This is one of the main reason's I love Rush so much....3 guys for over 34 years, who sound better and are more influential than all 15 of Yes's member if you ask me.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 8 2008, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 8 2008, 03:26 PM)
Forgot to ask the OP-- source on this story?  There's nothing on the official Yes site.

I saw this over on Soundchaser.org a few days ago, at least in specualtion, and then there was a confirmation post as well.

There is a guy named Henry Potts who runs a website with just tons of info on Yes.

You can see this site here.

Yes, that's where I got it from. Henry is rarely wrong.

His page is quite brilliant, the detail he goes into is remarkable.

We'll never see Jon in Yes again, I reckon.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 8 2008, 05:14 PM)
Having someone that sounds exactly like Jon is even worse to me. It sounds like Yes, but it aint Yes.

"It's not Yes, but an incredible simulation!"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2008, 08:38 AM)
Maybe they'll tour with Journey!

Don't forget Boston who also has a singer found via the internet..

I saw Boston this summer, and it was a good show, not Delp, but acceptable...

The Queen thing doesn't bother me too much as they don't bill themselves as Queen, it's Queen & Paul Rodgers.. they know they can't replace Freddie.

QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 9 2008, 04:11 PM)
The Queen thing doesn't bother me too much as they don't bill themselves as Queen, it's Queen & Paul Rodgers.. they know they can't replace Freddie.

That and, Paul doesn't sound anything like Freddie and doesn't pretend to. He has his own voice, and he lends that to the Queen songs. That's a lot more respectable to me than trying to find a Freddie clone from a tribute band.

That said, "finding it respectable" and "paying money to go see it" are two different things.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Sep 9 2008, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Sep 9 2008, 07:30 PM)
Some bands just don't know when to call it quits...

Kiss and The Who are two other good examples.

yea and that one old canadian band that has those brainy lyrics and stuff

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Pfft. At least Rush have had no personnel changes and are still releasing good material. I don't know anything about Kiss, but half the members of the Who are dead and they haven't made a really good album since...well, that's debateable.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Sep 9 2008, 09:30 PM)
Some bands just don't know when to call it quits...

Kiss and The Who are two other good examples.

you forgot aerosmith, they just plain suck now.....imo

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 10 2008, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 9 2008, 11:11 PM)
I'm not going to read through this entire thread to find out if someone already asked this, but, does this have the blessing of Jon Anderson?  confused13.gif

Apparently there is no word from Anderson, at least not that I have heard.

Well, if you haven't heard anything then I'm certain nothing's been said, because you would know since you're the source of all knowledge. sarcasm.gif

Oh relax peeps, I do jest! yes.gif tongue.gif

Sorry, Chris, man, I had to! wink.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 10 2008, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Sep 10 2008, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 9 2008, 11:11 PM)
I'm not going to read through this entire thread to find out if someone already asked this, but, does this have the blessing of Jon Anderson?  confused13.gif

Apparently there is no word from Anderson, at least not that I have heard.

Well, if you haven't heard anything then I'm certain nothing's been said, because you would know since you're the source of all knowledge. sarcasm.gif

Oh relax peeps, I do jest! yes.gif tongue.gif

Sorry, Chris, man, I had to! wink.gif

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

No problem, dude!! I'll getcha back later!!

I don't know about being the source of all information...but I certainly am the source of plenty of opinion!!!

Archived