the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is better than both the Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. Not many take that position, but I do.

5150 is the best Van Halen album. Hagar is the better vocalist. Roth was the better showman, but hasn't been worth mentioning since his Skyscraper album.

Operation: Mindcrime was flawless. Operation: Mindcrime II was itself, a crime.

Peter Gabriel is on my musical bucket list. A musical bucket list is all the artists that you want to see perform before they die. Robert Plant is on my list, I'm seeing him next month for the first time.

All Muse/U2 fans, watch this now:

It's Muse at Glastonbury, performing "Where the Streets Have No Name" with The Edge. This is absolutely f***ing phenomenal. Watch it with an open mind, and I hope you like it.

Random thoughts on seeing Deep Purple last night:

1. When Perfect Strangers started I nearly had a trouser based accident. Twice.

2. Ian Gillan is the worst frontman ever, but he's so bloody grateful you turned up you're willing to forgive him anything.

3. Steve Morse is in fact, a beautiful muscular woman.

4. Rum & Coke is petrol for the soul.

5. The next time a stranger hands you a blond wig and an inflatable guitar, decline.

6. Ian Paice is still one tasty f**kin' drummer.

7. Roger Glover loves his band. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

8. Don Airey knows. He played a snippet of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" during his solo. The place went loolah.

9. All concerts should end with Hush, Smoke On The Water, Speed King & Black Night.

10. To the man who wondered why Ritchie Blackmore wasn't onstage, sir, go back under the rock you crawled out from.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 1 2010, 10:37 AM)
10. To the man who wondered why Ritchie Blackmore wasn't onstage, sir, go back under the rock you crawled out from.

rofl3.gif Indeed.

My Bloody Valentine,

I'm sorry I only listen to Loveless once every few months, but that's part of what makes listening to it awesome. I promise I'll pick up Isn't Anything one day - sorry I didn't buy it at that mall in Maryland back in April - as well as download some of those EP's on the iTunes Store.

Sincerely,

Xannydew

Going old-school for both of these... I need more hardcore punk and more rap. Any recommendations?

I got bored so I typed an 835-word paper on the two bands that mean the most to me - Rush, and My Chemical Romance - and why they mean so much to me. Ah, the joys of typing about something you love.

edit: oh, and Depeche Mode is wonderful late-night music. just thought i'd share that, too.

Edited by Xanadu93

I bought the Rush Doc that came with the t-shirt. I wore the t-shirt today. I'm 42 years old and I feel like some Rush fan wannabe for wearing it.

somebody please comfort me and tell me I'm not.

for what it's worth, not one person today said "hey, cool shirt", not even the long hair dude wearing the Iron Maiden "Maiden Japan" t-shirt I saw at Fred Meyers. Ya know, maybe Rush isnt as huge as we all think they are. And that is ok by me.

I wish I had some friends that I could discuss music of all types with IRL. TRFers are cool and everything, but I wish I could sit down in front of them and discuss music forever.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 4 2010, 05:11 AM)
I bought the Rush Doc that came with the t-shirt. I wore the t-shirt today. I'm 42 years old and I feel like some Rush fan wannabe for wearing it.

somebody please comfort me and tell me I'm not.

for what it's worth, not one person today said "hey, cool shirt", not even the long hair dude wearing the Iron Maiden "Maiden Japan" t-shirt I saw at Fred Meyers. Ya know, maybe Rush isnt as huge as we all think they are. And that is ok by me.

Bought the package at BestBuy & loved the dvd, but found the shirt kind of weathered, wasn't impressed with it. But it's always good to promote the band, I'm sure people saw it when you wore it.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 4 2010, 03:59 AM)
Going old-school for both of these... I need more hardcore punk and more rap. Any recommendations?

What kind of Hardcore Punk and Rap are you into already?

QUOTE (J0N @ Jul 5 2010, 01:07 PM)

Bad Brains, Bad Religion, and Black Flag are some of the hardcore punk bands I'm into. (I'm really open to old-school punk, too... not hardcore only.)

As for rap, I can listen to all of the songs on this list without getting tired of them. I've got albums by Dr. Dre, N.W.A, and Snoop Dogg and I love them... more of that kind of stuff.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2010, 06:19 AM)

Bad Brains, Bad Religion, and Black Flag are some of the hardcore punk bands I'm into. (I'm really open to old-school punk, too... not hardcore only.)

If you like old school you surely must've heard some Dead Kennedys by now. If not, do yourself a favour, essential.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 5 2010, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2010, 06:19 AM)

If you like old school you surely must've heard some Dead Kennedys by now. If not, do yourself a favour, essential.

I've heard of them... but that's it. sad.gif I'll try and check them out sometime.