A 'Top Gun' sequel?

Jack Aubrey

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I guess that depends on Val Kilmer tongue.gif Ice Man has to be there. After all, when that movie came out I was in Jr. High and the volleyball game was my first introduction to the man! To hell with Tom Cruise. He's an idiot. I want Val!!!!! 653.gif drool1.gif

If they're going to do a sequel, and the sequel has "Migs" in it, they should at least use real Mig fighters instead of insulting the viewing audience's intelligence by passing off Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighters as Migs.........geesh!

That one little detail spoiled the whole movie for me back in '86.

Come to think of it though, after reading the above article, Top Gun did kind of have a gay vibe.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 23 2008, 12:47 PM)
Barf. I can't stand Tom Cruise and the original film is pretty dumb.

Only cause of Tom Cruise though tongue.gif

It was the standard for a lot of Tom Cruise vehicles over the next 10-15 years. It wasn;t bad, but after you see Days of Thunder and The Last Samurai et. al., you've grown to expect just that from Tom Cruise.

Then he does that movie Collateral, where he actually did a great job playing the bad guy, even though in his own words he hated it..

I wish I could say I am surprised at this news, but hey, there haven't been a lot of really good original movies coming out of Hollywood lately. Everything is rather homogenized, and paint-by-numbers.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jul 24 2008, 06:23 AM)
I wish I could say I am surprised at this news, but hey, there haven't been a lot of really good original movies coming out of Hollywood lately. Everything is rather homogenized, and paint-by-numbers.

That is so true!

The proposed plot sounds completely lame. But it'd be too politically incorrect to make a movie about flying over Iranian airspace and shooting down 80's era enemy aircraft there, I suppose... unsure.gif

Wait... we sold a bunch of F-14s to Iran back then, right? So the new movie could be about new American technology going up against old American technology... sarcasm.gif

I always thought Top Gun was just Reagan-era propaganda, didn't see it as gay (and have never seen the Tarantino rant before z7shysterical.gif) and these days that kind of real-world propaganda isn't likely to sell.

K

If you're a big fan of the first, but also hate it when movie studios dig up the dead horses for one last ride, you have to ask yourself...

"Which is more important...the fact that I like the first movie or the fact that me buying a ticket will give Hollywood another excuse to coast when it comes to creativity?"

Of course, I thought Rocky Balboa (the sixth one) was pretty cool, and I didn't hate Crystal Skull too much. I'm such a hypocrite tongue.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 23 2008, 11:58 AM)
I guess that depends on Val Kilmer tongue.gif Ice Man has to be there. After all, when that movie came out I was in Jr. High and the volleyball game was my first introduction to the man! To hell with Tom Cruise. He's an idiot. I want Val!!!!! 653.gif drool1.gif

Val's cool but I here he's an asshole to work with