When you're in a life rut what.....

ReflectedLight

Take up a new hobby.

Go get a cheap cabin somewhere for 1 week or 10 days. Reset yourself, and when you come back to normal life make sure you don't let yourself get into the same rut. Find new and different hobbies and things to do.

Photography.

Get a cheap digital to start out with and just go on hikes and take lots of pictures. I can be in a horrible mood, go for a hike with my camera and spend hours just enjoying the scenery and getting better at taking pictures.

It's a great hobby. yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 16 2008, 07:01 PM)
Take up a new hobby.

yep. plenty of hobbies that are inexpensive that you can try. I'm into bicycling. It's cheap once you have the bike, you don't need anyone else to participate, and you also get to enjoy the outdoors.

Make a list of great books that you have always wanted to read that you never had the chance to and check them out of the library and read them.

Learn to play an instrument.

Take a class.

If only I had more time I would love to do more....(right now I work full time, have two kids, take 18 credits in college a year, and do a lot of cycling. I finish school in approx 6 months and then I'm really going to have some fun.

Sleep on the other side of the bed.

Brush your teeth with your other hand.

Take a bath instead of a shower.

Go for long rambling walks at dawn.

Challenge yourself to go for one week without going online. ohmy.gif

If you're single, go sign up for eHarmony. Not so much for the dates - it's pretty lame for that, take it from me - but for the self-discovery exercises and questionnaires that help you understand yourself better. Cheaper than a therapist and way more fun.

Visualize what you see yourself being or doing in 10 years, then figure out what it'll take to get there. Then do it.

Hope that helps!

Kismet

(so *not* in a rut these days laugh.gif)

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 16 2008, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 16 2008, 07:01 PM)
Take up a new hobby.

yep. plenty of hobbies that are inexpensive that you can try. I'm into bicycling. It's cheap once you have the bike, you don't need anyone else to participate, and you also get to enjoy the outdoors.

Make a list of great books that you have always wanted to read that you never had the chance to and check them out of the library and read them.

Learn to play an instrument.

Take a class.

If only I had more time I would love to do more....(right now I work full time, have two kids, take 18 credits in college a year, and do a lot of cycling. I finish school in approx 6 months and then I'm really going to have some fun.

Yup, I bought a mountain bike 2 months ago. The problem is there are no trails without having to drive 40 minutes. Love off-roadin. I hate the city, but when you're single and no other choice, I guess go with the flow. I have a guitar, but it's been hanging on the wall collecting dust.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jul 16 2008, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 16 2008, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 16 2008, 09:56 PM)
Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

Nothing like clean, family-oriented fun to help you find your center again. And reasonably priced! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Damn, what took you guys so long with that post? laugh.gif

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 16 2008, 09:12 PM)
Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

Nothing like clean, family-oriented fun to help you find your center again. And reasonably priced! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

What are you waiting on? Get going!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 16 2008, 10:01 PM)
Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

Man after my own heart.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 16 2008, 10:12 PM)
Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

and I ws gonna suggest my quarterly "recharge"..oriental massage with "happy ending"

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_897886_...appy_Ending.htm

QUOTE (Plus_ca_change @ Jul 17 2008, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 16 2008, 10:12 PM)
Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

and I ws gonna suggest my quarterly "recharge"..oriental massage with "happy ending"

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_897886_...appy_Ending.htm

Heh, another 'Robot Chicken' fan. trink39.gif

I went back to school. Rebooted my whole adult life. It worked for a while... then I met Ms Right and have been rut-free for about a year and a half.

Granted, that's not much use for you.

I would recommend taking some classes if you can afford it. Not necessarily for a career change, but maybe for a hobby. I'd love to take some photography courses and maybe some low level astronomy too. I have no interest in being a photographer or an astronomer, but I would like to do both as a serious hobbiest.

QUOTE (robertjames1971 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:21 AM)
I went back to school.  Rebooted my whole adult life.  It worked for a while... then I met Ms Right and have been rut-free for about a year and a half. 

I would recommend taking some classes if you can afford it.  Not necessarily for a career change, but maybe for a hobby.  I'd love to take some photography courses and maybe some low level astronomy too.  I have no interest in being a photographer or an astronomer, but I would like to do both as a serious hobbiest.

I took a few cooking classes a while ago which is a waste of money. I realize there's a social aspect to it, but they're not cheap and whatever I learn there I pretty much can learn from a book or I'm familar with it alread.. I really don't have money to throw away.

Prostitutes.  yes.gif

yes.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jul 16 2008, 07:59 PM)
Challenge yourself to go for one week without going online. ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif OH GOD!!!! I'd better be in a third world country rofl3.gif

When I get in ruts I have to constantly remind myself that it is all in my head and I am putting myself in this rut. It's the truth and I need to take responsibility for it. A rut is a form of depressive behavior that is an outmoded way of thinking and living for you.

Here, this might be helpful.....

*Whenever we walk to the edge of all the light that we have

and take that step into the darkness of the unknown,

we must remember that one of two things will happen.

Either there will be something solid for us to stand on or

we will be taught how to fly.*

You have reached a period of transition in your life and you need to try other things. Now go forth and be adventurous!!!! 1287.gif

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 17 2008, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (robertjames1971 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:21 AM)
I went back to school.  Rebooted my whole adult life.  It worked for a while... then I met Ms Right and have been rut-free for about a year and a half. 

I would recommend taking some classes if you can afford it.  Not necessarily for a career change, but maybe for a hobby.  I'd love to take some photography courses and maybe some low level astronomy too.  I have no interest in being a photographer or an astronomer, but I would like to do both as a serious hobbiest.

I took a few cooking classes a while ago which is a waste of money. I realize there's a social aspect to it, but they're not cheap and whatever I learn there I pretty much can learn from a book or I'm familar with it alread.. I really don't have money to throw away.

You could try joining a civic group. You can make new friends and help your community at the same time. Or maybe a book club if you're not into that.

Archived