Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Calzagne is a friggin badass. I used to be an avid boxing fan but when multiple belts and champions came along, I lost some interest. I'm so pissed that I've never watched him fight until now. Why hasn't this guy gotten more press coverage? He fed Jones a steady diet of leather. I think that the punches landed were at 344. This guy is great. I'm so impressed.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Nov 10 2008, 08:23 AM)
Calzagne is a friggin badass. I used to be an avid boxing fan but when multiple belts and champions came along, I lost some interest. I'm so pissed that I've never watched him fight until now. Why hasn't this guy gotten more press coverage? He fed Jones a steady diet of leather. I think that the punches landed were at 344. This guy is great. I'm so impressed.

Well Calzaghe was until recently promoted by Frank Warren who protects his fighters like financial futures and he's become less and less of a risk-taker over the years. Another reason is Calzaghe just wasn't well known enough to star in a big fight.

To be honest he should have fought in America years ago, even if he didn't get paid so much for that particular fight or fights because it would have got his name out there and would have paid off in the end. Again though Warren was the impediment he doesn't like to feature his fighters overseas because he's paranoid about his talent being poached by other promoters such as Bob Arum and these days Golden Boy, he also hates co-promotions because he's not one who wants to share the profits, he's a greedy bastard. What boxing promoter isn't though?

NB: If Warren saw this post he'd of course deny all this and yes he would respond, Warren is pretty thin-skinned for a boxing promoter.

Meanwhile he's suing Calzaghe for millions for breach of contract. Surprise, surprise....

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 2 2008, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Sep 2 2008, 09:57 AM)
I suppose we got a little sidetracked from this being a Q&A thread so....

T.D.-

What do you think of the fight between Pacman and Golden Boy?

A lot of fight fans have grown to hate De La Hoya and his part time, cherry-picking boxing career and they wish he'd just go away or fight someone like Margarito or Paul Williams, something he'll never do. The fight with Pac sounds ridiculous, but they'll talk it up until the odds on Pac are slashed by fight night. I can't see Pac winning, he's just too small to hammer his way to victory like he normally does and too aggressive in style to go defensive and win that way. It's basically a light middleweight versus a superfeatherweight, their original weights are 18 pounds apart (112 pounds Pac and 130 pounds Oscar) and their weights today are 19 pounds apart (135 pounds Pac, 154 pounds DLH) Oscar was and still is 3 weight divisions bigger than Manny and that's just too much, especially as Manny is a destroyer who trades on power and will run right into the bigger guys punches sooner or later. The fight might go the distance, Pac has a good chin, but I can't see him winning.

I like Oscar myself but I am becoming a bit bored with his endless retirement fights and if he doesn't win this Pac fight it will be a major embarrassment, most people think he's picking on a little guy to make himself look good. Maybe he'll retire in shame if the unthinkable happens and Manny knocks him out.

Used to like Oscar but he should stick to promoting as he`s now a little hit and miss!

Edited by Picture Moving

QUOTE (Picture Moving @ Nov 10 2008, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 2 2008, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Sep 2 2008, 09:57 AM)
I suppose we got a little sidetracked from this being a Q&A thread so....

T.D.-

What do you think of the fight between Pacman and Golden Boy?

A lot of fight fans have grown to hate De La Hoya and his part time, cherry-picking boxing career and they wish he'd just go away or fight someone like Margarito or Paul Williams, something he'll never do. The fight with Pac sounds ridiculous, but they'll talk it up until the odds on Pac are slashed by fight night. I can't see Pac winning, he's just too small to hammer his way to victory like he normally does and too aggressive in style to go defensive and win that way. It's basically a light middleweight versus a superfeatherweight, their original weights are 18 pounds apart (112 pounds Pac and 130 pounds Oscar) and their weights today are 19 pounds apart (135 pounds Pac, 154 pounds DLH) Oscar was and still is 3 weight divisions bigger than Manny and that's just too much, especially as Manny is a destroyer who trades on power and will run right into the bigger guys punches sooner or later. The fight might go the distance, Pac has a good chin, but I can't see him winning.

I like Oscar myself but I am becoming a bit bored with his endless retirement fights and if he doesn't win this Pac fight it will be a major embarrassment, most people think he's picking on a little guy to make himself look good. Maybe he'll retire in shame if the unthinkable happens and Manny knocks him out.

Used to like Oscar but he should stick to promoting as he`s now a little hit and miss!

Like most boxers he can't give it up. It must be addicting all that acclaim and attention. Plus it's the thing he's best at, it's hard to just let that go.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 10 2008, 02:47 PM)
Calzagne is a friggin badass.  I used to be an avid boxing fan but when multiple belts and champions came along, I lost some interest.  I'm so pissed that I've never watched him fight until now.  Why hasn't this guy gotten more press coverage?  He fed Jones a steady diet of leather.  I think that the punches landed were at 344.  This guy is great.  I'm so impressed.

Well Calzaghe was until recently promoted by Frank Warren who protects his fighters like financial futures and he's become less and less of a risk-taker over the years. Another reason is Calzaghe just wasn't well known enough to star in a big fight.

To be honest he should have fought in America years ago, even if he didn't get paid so much for that particular fight or fights because it would have got his name out there and would have paid off in the end. Again though Warren was the impediment he doesn't like to feature his fighters overseas because he's paranoid about his talent being poached by other promoters such as Bob Arum and these days Golden Boy, he also hates co-promotions because he's not one who wants to share the profits, he's a greedy bastard. What boxing promoter isn't though?

NB: If Warren saw this post he'd of course deny all this and yes he would respond, Warren is pretty thin-skinned for a boxing promoter.

Meanwhile he's suing Calzaghe for millions for breach of contract. Surprise, surprise....

Did you watch the fight?

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Nov 10 2008, 04:08 PM)
Calzagne is a friggin badass.  I used to be an avid boxing fan but when multiple belts and champions came along, I lost some interest.  I'm so pissed that I've never watched him fight until now.  Why hasn't this guy gotten more press coverage?  He fed Jones a steady diet of leather.  I think that the punches landed were at 344.  This guy is great.  I'm so impressed.

Did you watch the fight?

Yeah and even the undercard, which was crap, Judah was cut twice too, it was the night of the cuts.

I felt bad for Roy, he should never have come back down to 175 after Ruiz, he was ripped as a heavyweight. I thought it was crazy at the time, he aged 6 years in 6 months. He should have made Tarver fight him at 190, he'd done it all at 175 anyway.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 10 2008, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Nov 10 2008, 04:08 PM)

Did you watch the fight?

Yeah and even the undercard, which was crap, Judah was cut twice too, it was the night of the cuts.

I felt bad for Roy, he should never have come back down to 175 after Ruiz, he was ripped as a heavyweight. I thought it was crazy at the time, he aged 6 years in 6 months. He should have made Tarver fight him at 190, he'd done it all at 175 anyway.

The fight on Saturday night was an ass whipping of the highest proportion. I don't ever recall a fight in that weight class where a fighter landed 364 puches and threw almost a thousand. He destroyed Roy. But you've got to give him credit, he never hit the canvas even though he probably wanted to laugh.gif

The Pac Man v Hoya fight is just around the corner and despite the hype this is not a fair match up, it's a pure mismatch in fact, similar to Oscar v Gatti (who is much bigger than Pac) which ended with Gatti being floored in the first and stopped in five in a one-sided beat down.

Here's some facts as to why...

18 months ago Oscar fought Mayweather at 154 pounds while Pac was down at 130, and as of now Manny has had exactly 1 fight at 135, 0 fights at 140 and 0 fights at 147 which is the weight they will contest this bout at on Dec 6. In fact Pac has had just 13 fights above 122 pounds out of 52 career bouts. This is a super featherweight vs a light middleweight. Oscar is three or four weight divisions bigger than Pac. Pac stared out as a flyweight (106 pounds) Oscar as a superfeather weight (130).

Oscar has been at 154 pounds since 2001 and has had 9 fights above 147 pounds including 2 middleweight title fights. He's had 12 fights at 147 and a total of 31 fights above Manny's real weight of 130 and in fact Oscar only fought twice on or below 130 pounds, though a lot of his early fights were billed as super-featherweight bouts he often weighed 133 or 134 which is basically light weight.

People like Freddie Roach talking about Pac knocking out Hoya are talking pure hypobole bullshit. If serious welterweight punchers like Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Fernando Vargas, Ricardo Mayorga and sharpshooters like Shane Mosley couldn't stop Oscar then how can tiny Manny do it when he took 9 rounds to wear down ordinary lightweight David Diaz last time out?

Even Bernard Hopkins who now fights at 175 pounds and has whipped Tarver, Pavlik and Winky Wright and floored Calzaghe since the Hoya fight, only stopped Oscar after 9 rounds of chess match boxing.

This fight will be interesting but it's gonna end with Pac getting knocked out before 6 rounds are completed, count on it.

The only way Pac wins is if 35 year old Oscar is suddenly shot or he's weak at a weight he hasn't fought at for 8 years.

This fight is about money Pac has nothing to lose and still has big fights after this.

Oscar v Hatton would be a mismatch too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 27 2008, 07:02 PM)
The Pac Man v Hoya fight is just around the corner and despite the hype this is not a fair match up, it's a pure mismatch in fact, similar to Oscar v Gatti (who is much bigger than Pac) which ended with Gatti being floored in the first and stopped in five in a one-sided beat down.

18 months ago Oscar fought Mayweather at 154 pounds while Pac was down at 130, and as of now Manny has had exactly 1 fight at 135, 0 fights at 140 and 0 fights at 147 which is the weight they will contest this bout at on Dec 6. In fact Pac has  had just 13 fights above 122 pounds out of 52 career bouts. This is a super featherweight vs a light middleweight. Oscar is three or four weight divisions bigger than Pac. Pac stared out as a flyweight (106 pounds) Oscar as a superfeather weight (130).

Oscar has been at 154 pounds since 2001 and has had 9 fights above 147 pounds including 2 middleweight title fights. He's had 12 fights at 147 and a total of 31 fights above Manny's real weight of 130 and in fact Oscar only fought twice on or below 130 pounds, though a lot of his early fights were billed as super-featherweight bouts he often weighed 133 or 134 which is basically light weight.

People like Freddie Roach talking about Pac knocking out Hoya are talking pure hypobole bullshit. If serious welterweight punchers like Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Fernando Vargas, Ricardo Mayorga and sharpshooters like Shane Mosley couldn't stop Oscar then how can tiny Manny do it when he took 9 rounds to wear down ordinary lightweight David Diaz last time out?

Even Bernard Hopkins who now fights at 175 pounds and has whipped Tarver, Pavlik and Winky Wright and floored Calzaghe since the Hoya fight, only stopped Oscar after 9 rounds of chess match boxing.

This fight will be interesting but it's gonna end with Pac getting knocked out before 6 rounds are completed, count on it.

The only way Pac wins is if 35 year old Oscar is suddenly shot or he's weak at a weight he hasn't fought at for 8 years.

This fight is about money Pac has nothing to lose and still has big fights after this.

Thanks for your take Ducky. I agree Oscar should win based on his natural weight vs. a bogus inflated Manny.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 30 2008, 10:46 AM)
Ducky, do you think Chris Arriola is for real ?

I watched it last night and you got to like the guy: "he's a strong mofo!! ha ha that cracked me up!!

It was a good fight I enjoyed it especially round 2, but it did look like a fight between two sloppy journeymen. Two guys that Mike Tyson would have blown away 20 years ago. I went for an early Arreola KO but I didn't expect him to have to get off the floor to do it. And in round one he was dominated, he didn't move off those ropes for about 2 1/2 minutes once he got nailed, he definitely got buzzed.

What about the nuthugging of Kellerman and Papa? If you were just listening to the commentary you'd have thought the first round was won by Arreola when he was outpunched by Walker by about 5 to 1.

Do I think he's for real? Well he's probably one of the 5 best Americans but what does that amount to these days? Eddie Chambers is pretty good but not great, Arreola took care of Chazz Witherspoon. There's a couple of other younger guys and there's the old guard like Rahman who fights for the title in a couple of weeks. And an older Toney and an even older Holyfield. Hmmm well comparing him to the best around today he's got a punchers chance with Vlad, but no chance against the more sturdy Vitali. He'd probably lose to the giant Russian (who fights Holyfield on Dec 20) and the other Russian. Can you tell I'm not enthused by the heavyweights these days?

If Arreola's the best US hope then it's pretty sad. In the early 70s America had about 20 guys who'd destroy him. He's entertaining though and tough, and he's a likeable guy, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight David Haye, that'd be an excellent battle.

18 months ago Oscar fought Mayweather at 154 pounds while Pac was down at 130, and as of now Manny has had exactly 1 fight at 135, 0 fights at 140 and 0 fights at 147 which is the weight they will contest this bout at on Dec 6. In fact Pac has had just 13 fights above 122 pounds out of 52 career bouts. This is a super featherweight vs a light middleweight. Oscar is three or four weight divisions bigger than Pac. Pac stared out as a flyweight (106 pounds) Oscar as a superfeather weight (130).

Wasn't Roach with De la Hoya? And why isn't he now?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2008, 12:01 PM)

18 months ago Oscar fought Mayweather at 154 pounds while Pac was down at 130, and as of now Manny has had exactly 1 fight at 135, 0 fights at 140 and 0 fights at 147 which is the weight they will contest this bout at on Dec 6. In fact Pac has  had just 13 fights above 122 pounds out of 52 career bouts. This is a super featherweight vs a light middleweight. Oscar is three or four weight divisions bigger than Pac. Pac stared out as a flyweight (106 pounds) Oscar as a superfeather weight (130).

Wasn't Roach with De la Hoya? And why isn't he now?

Well De La Hoya has had more trainers than Jenna Jameson has had porn scenes so who knows the real story. Roach began to train Oscar for the Mayweather fight as Floyd snr didn't want to train Oscar to beat up his son, though he claimed it was a money issue. I think in this case Roach is the long time trainer of Manny so again there's complication. I can't remember now if Roach trained Oscar for the Forbes fight, that's how forgettable that fight was, I think he did...

To be honest I think the insults from Roach are just hype to sell this thing, probably all worked out between them, Manny's not a trash talker so Roach took the role even though it's totally not his style either. I don't think there's really bad blood between them they just need to sell the idea that Pac has a realistic chance in this fight.

I don't think this fight is going to sell all that well with financial situation and Christmas coming up, I think maybe less than 1.5 million PPV buys...

So back to the question, I think it's just a case of Roach being more loyal to his long time pupil Manny Pac.

I just can't believe that! That was an easier win for Manny than against Morales, Barrera, Marquez in fact any fight I've seen ever him in...He destroyed Oscar, I mean he totally annihilated him, punished him and battered him like no one ever has. Oscar had nothing in this fight, it was a massacre. The fifth round was murder, the seventh round was fistic torture...

My prediction looks very stupid now but...this is why I love boxing, every so often the comlete unexpected sometimes happens...

Oscar should retire, no doubt about it, maybe after a farewell fight...

Wow! Oscar the Slouch! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif I think he just had his farewell fight! If that's all Oscar can muster, he needs to hang his gloves up for sure! Manny, on the other hand, looked very comfortable fighting at 148. I think Hatton will be his next victim. Maybe Mayweather will be coaxed out of retirement to face him as well? Money talks I suppose.

Apparently, Oscar is just a smooth talking money machine. He sells himself well, and makes lots of cash for doing so. Its great to have a wonderfull wife and kids, and be able to workout everyday, so you can take your beating and increase your familys wealth. There is no way im buying that Oscar had nothing left. I believe he is all about the money, and cares not about his legacy at this point.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 8 2008, 08:17 AM)
Apparently, Oscar is just a smooth talking money machine. He sells himself well, and makes lots of cash for doing so. Its great to have a wonderfull wife and kids, and be able to workout everyday, so you can take your beating and increase your familys wealth. There is no way im buying that Oscar had nothing left. I believe he is all about the money, and cares not about his legacy at this point.

Well I wasn't disappointed Ticky, it was an exciting and ferocious performance from Pac. He absolutely dismantled Oscar, it was a crushing loss. I was just shocked. Obviously age and inactivity and sleeping in silk sheets have caught up with the golden boy and like Roach said he certainly can't pull the trigger anymore. Also I think being at 147 pounds for weeks killed him, he had no strength in his legs or his punches and he looked slow to react. In fact he looked like an old man trying to swat a blue-arsed fly at times.

Take nothing away from Pac he hammered Oscar. Even Margarito or Cotto couldn't have done a more clinical job. I totally didn't expect that to happen.

Looks like Pac will fight Hatton next in a huge money fight! Then Mayweather or maybe Marquez again and maybe even Cotto, but not Margarito, he'd kill Pac as would Paul Williams.