Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

I looked at some of Valero's fights, and he seems to just wade in there and try to overwhelm his opponents. That will not work with Pac. If Valero does fight that way, he going to be wide open for counter-punches all day long.

QUOTE (Sark @ Jun 30 2008, 09:13 AM)
I looked at some of Valero's fights, and he seems to just wade in there and try to overwhelm his opponents. That will not work with Pac. If Valero does fight that way, he going to be wide open for counter-punches all day long.

Apparently before Valero went to Japan he fought with a lot more skill, but with the trainers he had there he seems to have reverted to just slugging. If the Pac fight happens it'll probably happen in Texas as that's where the formerly banned (head injury) Valero is now licenced to box. Might be in San Antonio. If it does go ahead there, look for Valero to bring in some big American trainer to get him boxing more...

This has to be the best thead you never started, eh Ducky ? biggrin.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 1 2008, 03:06 PM)
This has to be the best thead you never started, eh Ducky ? biggrin.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

Aye...

trink39.gif

Pssst Tick look out for the big American heavyweight hope Tony Thompson on 12 July, he fights Dr Steelhammer AKA Vlad Klitschko for the World title. It takes place in Hamburg but it's on HBO. Can Tony stop the Monstrous VLAD??? Or will he end up HAMMERED?

ohmy.gif

Treeducky ! I want to hear your thoughts on Cotto / Margerito ?

Wow, what a performce by Antonio. Talk about a relentless fighter. I dont think I have ever seen someone more driven or determined to win as Margerito was in that fight.

Get your ass back to boxing Mayweather ! You have beating to take !

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 5 2008, 11:20 AM)
Wow, what a performce by Antonio. Talk about a relentless fighter. I dont think I have ever seen someone more driven or determined to win as Margerito was in that fight.

Amen! Pretty boy Floyd doesn't want to mix it up with him though. He won't mess up that pwetty wittle face o' his!

Hi Tree!

Ok...so I'm watching boxing at the Olympics, and the fight is over.

Each of the fighters goes to his corner, takes off his gloves and goes to the ref in the middle of the ring so he can raise the hand of the winner.

As each man steps up, the ref takes both hands and looks at them, then flips them over and looks at the other side.

I tried for the last 3 days to really come up with some reason the ref would hold their hands and look at both sides.

Any idea???

Later!

Jay :-)

Treeduck...

Do you watch MMA (UFC, WEC, the like)?

If so... HOW can you continue to watch boxing??? confused13.gif

Since I've gotten into MMA... boxing is just sooooo boring. I can't stay awake through any fights. MMA has killed boxing for me. It's gotta be a really good matchup now for me to even bother. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 23 2008, 07:53 AM)
Treeduck...

If so... HOW can you continue to watch boxing???  confused13.gif 

Since I've gotten into MMA... boxing is just sooooo boring.  I can't stay awake through any fights.  MMA has killed boxing for me.  It's gotta be a really good matchup now for me to even bother.  yes.gif

For me personally, I grew up on Boxing, and I still love it. Im an old fart and don't want to watch the new age of combat. I don't want to see a fat Mr. T beat some meathead senceless, or some martial arts technition bore me with some arm breaking submission hold.

I guess as popular as it is, I just have little interest in this 20 something phenominon. I'll stick with my HBO Boxing on Saturday night, I quite enjoy it. On the few times I have watched MMA, I just dont enjoy it, so 15 minutes in, im switching to Food network or The Travel channel. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Ok, bring on your wraith, I know its coming. trink36.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 23 2008, 08:22 AM)
Treeduck...

Since I've gotten into MMA... boxing is just sooooo boring.  I can't stay awake through any fights.  MMA has killed boxing for me.  It's gotta be a really good matchup now for me to even bother.  yes.gif

For me personally, I grew up on Boxing, and I still love it. Im an old fart and don't want to watch the new age of combat. I don't want to see a fat Mr. T beat some meathead senceless, or some martial arts technition bore me with some arm breaking submission hold.

I guess as popular as it is, I just have little interest in this 20 something phenominon. I'll stick with my HBO Boxing on Saturday night, I quite enjoy it. On the few times I have watched MMA, I just dont enjoy it, so 15 minutes in, im switching to Food network or The Travel channel. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

When was the last time you watched an MMA event? I can't think of one fighter that is overweight. no.gif They are in phenomenal shape.

You must be thinking of old UFC, when it first hit. The sport has evolved so much now. You won't see a guy that is strictly a grappler, go against a boxer, or a judo guy fight a karate guy. MMA is fully Mixed Martial Arts now. yes.gif

The new breed of fighter has to have combined excellence at boxing, kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, and wrestling. Sure... one guy might be more skilled at a specific thing, but they know how to do everything now.

Gone are the days when Gracie is just gonna put you in a scizzors hold and work on your arm until you tap out.

Give it another shot and see what you're missing out on. Wedensday nights is big. There's a bunch of WEC shows on Versus network and UFC Unleashed is on SPIKE at 9pm.

And what is the 20 something remark? Take a look at the crowd. It's far from a 20 something crowd. You'd be shocked at the people who are big time fans of MMA. The last year or two of MMA pay per views have been record setting. They've destroyed all boxing and even pro wrestling cards available on PPV. So I somehow doubt it's just a sport for young kids.

Al Bundy is an MMA fan. yes.gif

biggrin.gif

Speaking of boxing competing with MMA...

Looks like they want to create a new superfight with De la Hoya vs. Pacquiao. I know it's about money, but I'm not sure it will be that good of a fight, considering Manny will have to fight at welterweight. Oscar may just be too heavy of a puncher for the fight to go the distance.

I suppose we got a little sidetracked from this being a Q&A thread so....

T.D.-

What do you think of the fight between Pacman and Golden Boy?

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 5 2008, 02:20 PM)

Hello my faithful boxing/MMA fight followers, yes I have returned...

Yes I saw this fight I was looking forward to it, made a bit of a night of it, got all the right snacks and beer in well in advance.

I was backing Margo to win this one, I felt that the granite chin, size and strength of Tony would catch up with Miguel eventually, Cotto's no cutey boxer who can run around sticking and moving, he's a warrior and sooner or later he'd fight it out and that's where I saw him having problems. So I thought he'd lose and I wanted him to actually because although I like Cotto as a fighter, his PR fans are bloody annoying!!

Anyway, it was a good little fight with Cotto outboxing the bigger Mexican in the early going and he really landed some blistering, skull-rattling combinations, in fact he dished out the kind of shellacking that would have damaged most welterweights, as he'd literally done before and become famous for. It seemed to me the turning point came in the 7th when he finally slowed the movement, found himself laying on the ropes and for first time held on like he was hurt. After this things got progressively worse for the boricua. He had some other good moments and the movement returned sporadically but now it held a hint of desperation as if he were looking for a place to shelter from the implacable Mexican storm.

I must say I felt sorry for Cotto at the end, he looked all broken down and busted up like a saturday night drunk who'd picked a fight with the bouncers. It's sad to see a lethal fighting machine like him destroyed in that way, but this is what top level boxing is about, two good, dangerous fighters who are absolutely determined to win and in the end one of them has to have his will and his body broken.

I like Tony he seems like a genuinely nice guy, a beast in the ring but a pleasant soul out of it, so I was pleased he won.

QUOTE (Sark @ Aug 7 2008, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 5 2008, 11:20 AM)

Amen! Pretty boy Floyd doesn't want to mix it up with him though. He won't mess up that pwetty wittle face o' his!

I think Mayweather will return next year to face Pac or De La Hoya or possibly Hatton in a rematch. Not Margo though, can you blame people for avoiding him? Who wants to get put in the meat grinder?

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Aug 17 2008, 08:32 PM)
Hi Tree!

Ok...so I'm watching boxing at the Olympics, and the fight is over.

Each of the fighters goes to his corner, takes off his gloves and goes to the ref in the middle of the ring so he can raise the hand of the winner.

As each man steps up, the ref takes both hands and looks at them, then flips them over and looks at the other side.

I tried for the last 3 days to really come up with some reason the ref would hold their hands and look at both sides.

Any idea???

Later!

Jay :-)

He's probably looking for anything illegal to enhance punching power...

Amateur boxing needs a change in the scoring and soon, it's f***ing up the whole thing. At least their changing the format back to three three minute rounds next year, instead of the four two minute rounds they have now.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 23 2008, 06:53 AM)
Treeduck...

If so... HOW can you continue to watch boxing??? confused13.gif

Since I've gotten into MMA... boxing is just sooooo boring. I can't stay awake through any fights. MMA has killed boxing for me. It's gotta be a really good matchup now for me to even bother. yes.gif

I've seen it but it's not quite as good as you say Necro, a lot of times they end up rolling around on the floor for most of the fight.

What do you make of Kimbo Slice? I found this guy's street fights on youtube and this was totally by accident when I was looking for something else and well before he was an MMA fighter, about two years ago. I saw him pound some guy's face to hamburger literally in someone's back yard, scary stuff. And a few other guys too, none of them looked too good afterwards. Later on I saw him fight that copper, I'm not sure if he lost that one, that seemed a bit more organized. I was quite surprised though when he ended up as an MMA fighter.

Can he beat the best MMA heavyweights, or is he just hype?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 26 2008, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 23 2008, 08:22 AM)
Treeduck...

When was the last time you watched an MMA event? I can't think of one fighter that is overweight. no.gif They are in phenomenal shape.

You must be thinking of old UFC, when it first hit. The sport has evolved so much now. You won't see a guy that is strictly a grappler, go against a boxer, or a judo guy fight a karate guy. MMA is fully Mixed Martial Arts now. yes.gif

The new breed of fighter has to have combined excellence at boxing, kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, and wrestling. Sure... one guy might be more skilled at a specific thing, but they know how to do everything now.

Gone are the days when Gracie is just gonna put you in a scizzors hold and work on your arm until you tap out.

Give it another shot and see what you're missing out on. Wedensday nights is big. There's a bunch of WEC shows on Versus network and UFC Unleashed is on SPIKE at 9pm.

And what is the 20 something remark? Take a look at the crowd. It's far from a 20 something crowd. You'd be shocked at the people who are big time fans of MMA. The last year or two of MMA pay per views have been record setting. They've destroyed all boxing and even pro wrestling cards available on PPV. So I somehow doubt it's just a sport for young kids.

Al Bundy is an MMA fan. yes.gif

biggrin.gif

Did you see that Al Bundy (Ed O'Neil) interview where he talks MMA? I'll find it so anyone who missed it can see it. He's quite knowledgeable and funny too.

Here we are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMiMRQGnoIk

QUOTE (Sark @ Sep 2 2008, 09:57 AM)
I suppose we got a little sidetracked from this being a Q&A thread so....

T.D.-

What do you think of the fight between Pacman and Golden Boy?

A lot of fight fans have grown to hate De La Hoya and his part time, cherry-picking boxing career and they wish he'd just go away or fight someone like Margarito or Paul Williams, something he'll never do. The fight with Pac sounds ridiculous, but they'll talk it up until the odds on Pac are slashed by fight night. I can't see Pac winning, he's just too small to hammer his way to victory like he normally does and too aggressive in style to go defensive and win that way. It's basically a light middleweight versus a superfeatherweight, their original weights are 18 pounds apart (112 pounds Pac and 130 pounds Oscar) and their weights today are 19 pounds apart (135 pounds Pac, 154 pounds DLH) Oscar was and still is 3 weight divisions bigger than Manny and that's just too much, especially as Manny is a destroyer who trades on power and will run right into the bigger guys punches sooner or later. The fight might go the distance, Pac has a good chin, but I can't see him winning.

I like Oscar myself but I am becoming a bit bored with his endless retirement fights and if he doesn't win this Pac fight it will be a major embarrassment, most people think he's picking on a little guy to make himself look good. Maybe he'll retire in shame if the unthinkable happens and Manny knocks him out.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 2 2008, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 23 2008, 06:53 AM)
Treeduck...

I've seen it but it's not quite as good as you say Necro, a lot of times they end up rolling around on the floor for most of the fight.

What do you make of Kimbo Slice? I found this guy's street fights on youtube and this was totally by accident when I was looking for something else and well before he was an MMA fighter, about two years ago. I saw him pound some guy's face to hamburger literally in someone's back yard, scary stuff. And a few other guys too, none of them looked too good afterwards. Later on I saw him fight that copper, I'm not sure if he lost that one, that seemed a bit more organized. I was quite surprised though when he ended up as an MMA fighter.

Can he beat the best MMA heavyweights, or is he just hype?

I believe the cop beat Kimbo. But that was when he was strictly an illegal street fighter. Now that he's training in all aspects of MMA, he has the POTENTIAL to be very good. He's not there yet, but he's got top notch backing. He's been given a huge sum of money to fight for XF or whatever league it is, and he's also been backed with a huge endorsement line of clothing by TAPOUT. So he's got the time now to do nothing but train. He could be deadly. Could he beat the likes of Frank Mir right now??? I doubt it. I don't think he's anywhere near that level yet, which is why he's on ShowTime and not in the UFC. When he thinks he's ready, he'll make the jump. If he's smart... he'll mop up the other league for awhile before he makes the jump to the big boy league. I don't think he's ready. no.gif

You have a point with some of the fights being boring, but that's true for boxing as well. If you watch UFC Unleashed or WEC when it's not a live show... they usually only showcase really good matches. But I've bought some pay-per-views that were really bad. The last UFC match wasn't worth the money, but sometimes you get FAR more than your money's worth. yes.gif

WEC has a great card, LIVE, on Versus channel on September 10th. They are UFC's minor league, kinda. But Uriah Faber (pound for pound, the BEST MMA fighter there is) will be defending his belt. Check it out if you can. yes.gif

Not trying to jack your thread here... just wanted some friendly dialogue on the matter. I've found a lot of boxing fans that have either fully converted or at least respect MMA a lot, and watch it.

Bernard Hopkins absolutely schooled Kelly Pavlik last night, in fact he became the "Ghost" buster. I mean he won every single round, he was faster, smarter, sharper, craftier, stronger and he really pounded him and outpunched him and was even showboating like Sugar Ray Leonard at times.

This pleases me because it means there's still top athletes out there who are older than me, and that is the way things should always be.

This performance makes Joe Calzaghe look good too, everyone thought an old man who was past it made Joe look bad last April, but no way baby, Hopkins is as sharp as ever, but Joe made the adjustments last time and made Hopkins look old...

I hate to bump my own thread and ask myself a question, but I see no alternative in this era of boxing unpopularity in the mainstream...

UNKNOWN TRF MEMBER (standing in for the absent TICK): Hello there treeduck, how are you today?

treeduck: I'm very well UTRFM, how's yourself?

UTRFM: I'm good. So tell me, there's a pretty big fight happening tomorrow in New York, Madison Square Garden right?

treeduck: That's right, undefeated Joe Calzaghe against the once untouchable Roy Jones jnr for the Ring light heavyweight world title.

UTRFM: How do you see this fight going?

treeduck: Well if this was 2001 instead of 2008 I'd have no hesitation in picking Roy, Roy was literally SUPERMAN back then, he could do things other boxers could never hope to do. Calzaghe is good and he'd have given him trouble even then, a little like Montell Griffin did in their first fight. Unfortunately for Roy it's not 2001.

UTRFM: Is it just old age?

treeduck: Well yes, but also going up 30 pounds to heavyweight and coming back down after only a few months hurt his body and aged it about 5 or 6 years in a few weeks. You see he put on muscle not fat like most guys his weight would have done. I was shocked when I saw Roy for the Ruiz fight, he looked just as ripped as usual and yet he was about 200 pounds. So to take 25 pounds of that off afterwards and stay strong is pretty much impossible.

UTRFM: He lost a few fights after that didn't he?

treeduck: He did, he was knocked out very badly by two guys, Antonio Tarver and Glenn Johnson who he would have played with a couple of years earlier. I noticed right away in the first Tarver fight, which Roy won with an unpopular decision, that Roy just wasn't the same.

UTRFM: What was wrong with him? What did you notice?

treeduck: His legs had gone for a start, he just couldn't move, he moved like an old fighter all of a sudden. Roy always placed himself in the perfect position in the ring using deft footwork, he always seemed to be in a place where he could land at will and not get hit in return. Suddenly his legs wouldn't do that for him, which means he couldn't land those lethal lead left hooks that were his trademark and had to revert to jabbing, which he had hardly ever done. Also he was unable to avoid Tarver's shots and was rooted to canvas for last 90 seconds of every round. The legs being weak also meant his body was weak overall and he was unable to block Tarver's shots on the ropes and fire back like he had done in the past, in that fight he just stayed on the ropes covering up ineffectively for long periods. If Tarver had been more decisive he'd have knocked Roy out in the first fight as well. We didn't realise that at the time because we thought this might just be an off night for Roy.

UTRFM: Then he was knocked out in the second fight?

treeduck: That's right and then knocked out again, brutally and worringly by Glenn Johnson, who isn't even a big puncher. So his chin has gone too and his reflexes. He still has the handspeed but it's no use if your legs don't put you into position to land punches, especially against someone as mobile and agile as Calzaghe.

UTRFM: Ok but hasn't he won his last three fights? One against Felix Trinidad?

treeduck: Yes he's rebuilt himself somewhat with some decent wins. The problem is that Trinidad is not what he once was and has been inactive, managing only 2 fights in 5 years up to the Jones fight. Also he's always been at least 2 divisions smaller than Jones, he began at 140 and campaigned at 147, Roy started at 154 and established himself at middleweight, then light heavy. I saw the Trinidad fight and i was unconvinced. I thought to myself, what would the Roy Jones of 1998 think of this 2008 version of himself? In my mind I saw and heard that early version of Roy say: "Shit, that's me??? I look like crap! I gotta retire before then!!" The other two guys were a journeyman and an untested prospect who's since been knocked out. Roy won on points against in all three comeback fights. So no KOs since about 2002 and no KOs against someone of Calzaghe's calibre for about 10 years (Virgil Hill).

UTRFM: So you're picking Calzaghe?

treeduck: Yes, look Calzaghe would always have given Roy problems and yet the old Roy would still have won, but the old Roy is long gone. Calzaghe is too much for this version of his Royness. His legs, his chin, his reflexes just won't allow Roy to do what he needs to do to stop Calzaghe. I see another knockout of Roy. A lot of Americans just don't see that outcome, they think Joe can't punch, that he just slaps, but if all you can do is slap you don't bust up Jeff Lacey and make him look like he's been dragged along by a car for ten miles and you don't make Bernard Hopkins go into his shell for half a fight.

UTRFM: So you give Roy no chance?

treeduck: Oh he's got a chance, because after all he still is Roy Jones, he can still produce magic. I'm still a huge Roy Jones fan and I wouldn't be upset if he pulled off a miracle and became superman once again. If he can be Superman again even for a few rounds he might do something amazing. It's just that I only think he can be Superman for about 10 seconds a round and that's jsut not long enough.

UTRFM: Well, thank you for the incite treeduck, it's been a pleasure to talk to you.

treeduck: the pleasure was all mine.

UTRFM: Don't forget to tune into HBO PPV or get yourself an internet stream on your comp folks, this should be a good one, while it lasts.

treeduck: you're very different in person mate I must say...

UTRFM: Better looking? More intelligent sounding?

treeduck: errrrr no...just different...

UTRFM: unsure.gif