Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 17 2008, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2008, 05:56 PM)
Ducky, give me some insight on tonights HBO, young guns card ?

Well the main attraction on this card is the Cuban sensation Yuriorkis Gamboa, who may well be the best prospect in boxing. He's a featherweight/super-featherweight (126-130 pounds) and he's been described as a mini Mike Tyson with more skill and Meldrick Taylor's speed. It just so happens I was watching a couple of his latest fights on youtube the other day and he does look good, fast and powerful with good moves, though he does keep his hands a bit low and gets tagged now and then. There's been all kinds of talk about him fighting Manny Pac, Guzman, Valero, and britain's lightweight hope Amir Khan, but it's sort of premature as he's only had 9 fights (8 by KO). Having said that he's 26 so he does need to be on the fast track which he is, because tonight he goes in with a real danger man, Darling Jimenez of the Dominican Republic, who has a 23-2-2 record. Last time he stopped Mike Anchondo in 3, which is impressive so he's a threat. He's never been stopped and his two losses were close and hotly contested and disputed, no one has beaten Jimenez convincingly. Tonight though Yuri will do just that. Gamboa by TKO 8. I hope i've not put the hoodoo on him now...

Meanwhile at 154 AKA junior middleweight we have the USA's own James Kirkland versus Nigeria's tall Eromosele Albert. Kirkland is unbeaten 21-0 (18) is rated by the alphabet governing bodies in the top ten. he's another Mike Tyson lookalike and he even dresses like him, solid black shorts and black boots with no socks and he's also a big puncher like him. The Nigerian Albet has some good wins on his record such as Daniel Edouard (who foguht Jermain Taylor just before he first took on Bernard Hopkins), Yori Boy Campas and the then unbeaten Jonathan Banks, so this is a good match-up too. Could go either way, I'll tentatively pick Kirkland to win a decision.

Also on the bill is an intersting light middleweight (154) clash between Alfed Angulo (Mexico via california) and Richard Gutierrez (Colombia via Miami). Angulo is unbeaten 12-0 with 9 KOs and he's dangerous early. Gutiererrez has lost only once and that was on points to the excellent Joshua Clottey so no disgrace there, but it was at 147 so he's going in as the smaller man against the natural 154 pounder Angulo. He's won his three fights since Clottey and looked good apparently. I go for Angulo with his size and power advantage to force a stoppage in about 10 rounds.

Finally we have the former world amateur champion at heavyweight, like Gamboa, from Cuba Olandier Solis. He's talented of course but hasn't got himself in shape of late and looked pretty fat in his pro fights so far, it's not hindered him though as he's 9-0. I remember seeing him in the amateur final against David Haye and after Haye rattled him in round 1 almost Koing him he rallied to stop Haye controversially in the third. In that fight he showeed good skills and decent power. he could be a prospect but I'm not so sure, he may end up like that Cuban heavy and former amateur star of the 90s Gonzalez who was destroyed and ruined by Riddick Bowe. Who knows though, time will tell.

I think there's a good tongan on the bill too Bowie Tupou (14-0 11), I'm not sure about this guy though not seen him he's highly touted but I don't know.

A quick word about Chris Byrd...

The former heavyweight champ cut 40 pounds after his last loss at heavy and fought last night at 175 pounds against Shaun George and was stopped in 9. Physically his torso looked ripped but he looked drawn and weak in the face and his legs looked like matchsticks. He performed in a sluggish manner and was weak and slow and just couldn't compete at this weight after years of fighting the big guys. Age, wear and tear and that big weight cut definitely hurt Chris and he should probably retire. Even though the weight he lost was mostly fat, his body was used to having that 40 pound resource to draw on and when it wasn't there this time he was left hanging like a byrd on the wire. It's pity to see this I like Chris and he did great as a small light-hitting guy in the heavyweight division. Hopefully he will hang em up after this.

(I've not checked this post for mistakes so forgive any typos)

Well, Kirkland sure made short work of Albert. unsure.gif

I did see Byrds fight last night, stick a fork in him, cause he is overdone. Byrds stength was being faster and most elusive then his larger slower heavyweight opponents. Last night as a light heavyweight he looked absolutely awefull, beyond awefull.

Fight 2...

Bad stopage in my opinion. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Fight 3...

Gamboa is extremely tallented but he needs to fight more intelligently or a top of the heep fighter will knock him out. He has as fast a pair of hands as you will find in the sport.

QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2008, 10:48 PM)
Fight 3...
Gamboa is extremely tallented but he needs to fight more intelligently or a top of the heep fighter will knock him out. He has as fast a pair of hands as you will find in the sport.

Ok well I only watched the Gamboa fight of the HBO fights I was watching the other channel, The Night of Champions, then switched to HBO for gamboa.

Gamboa looked good, really fast hands an overwhelming offense, and like Kellerman said inside he smothers the other guy preventing him from getting off with his punches. His footwork is good too, quick and it gets him in and out and into good positions to land and avoid punches. But... his defense is sloppy and lax, he's got to keep his hands up and his chin looks like it might only be average. Don't get me wrong the knockdown wasn't too serious, he was off-balance and wasn't hurt too badly, but a knockdown is a knockdown and Jimenez isn't a big puncher, he didn't throw much in the fight. What if Valero connected with Yuri's chin? Or Pac? The way I see it he's an excellent prospect but he's not quite the next coming of Sugar Ray Robinson, yet anyway.

All of the following boxers around 126, 130 and 135 would give Gamboa serious problems, it's a tough area in boxing weight class, it's jampacked with talented fighters:

Manny Pacquiao

Juan Manuel Marquez

Joan Guzman

Edwin Valero

Nate Campbell

Joel Casamayor

Juan Diaz

Robert Guerrero

Jorge Linares

Amir Khan

Humberto Soto

Jorge Barrios

Alex Arthur

Rocky Juarez

Chris John

Juan Diaz

Joel Casamayor

david Diaz

Yuri Romanov

the Petersons

When they were both in there prime, who would win a fight between Mike Tyson and Clubber Lang ? biggrin.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 18 2008, 07:31 AM)
When they were both in there prime, who would win a fight between Mike Tyson and Clubber Lang ? biggrin.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

Well I think Lang would out-talk Tyson in the pre-fight hullaballyhoo, he'd call him a lot of back alley names and threaten to take his woman from him. During the fight itself though I think after a fierce start Tyson would take over around round 3 and KO Clubber brutally in round 6!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/Saltlick/clubber.jpg

"What you talkin bout fool?? Ah'd destroy that midget. Tyson ain't nothin but a

myth. A myth, you hear me??? A MYTH!! You talkin to the truth here! Clubber Lang is the truth!! The TRUTH! Ah'd end that sucker for real! Beat that fool worse than Buster Douglas done. Knock out his lights, and you keep talkin' like that, your lights are goin out too!! And get that look off yo face treeduck fore ah knock it off. Now get out ma face, fool!"

Errr ok Mr Errr Lang...

bolt.gif

I'll ask myself this one...

Is Hatton past his best after looking pretty ordinary in winning a UD over washed up lightweight Juan Lazcano on Saturday?

Well he looked sharp in his offence and landed a ton of good shots, especially to the body and Lazcano was tough as hell, but his defence was virtually non-existent. He ate dozens of left-hooks in particular but also walked into jabs like a blind guy walking into a lamp post. In the 10th he walked into a carbon copy of the check left hook off the ropes that Mayweather deployed in December, that resulted in the first knock down. I really can't see Hatton having more than three more fights after this, maybe only two. He should beat Paulie Malignacci next but on this form the much smaller Manny Pac might have a good chance of knocking him out...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 26 2008, 01:18 PM)

Is Hatton past his best after looking pretty ordinary in winning a UD over washed up lightweight Juan Lazcano on Saturday?

Well he looked sharp in his offence and landed a ton of good shots, especially to the body and Lazcano was tough as hell, but his defence was virtually non-existent. He ate dozens of left-hooks in particular but also walked into jabs like a blind guy walking into a lamp post. In the 10th he walked into a carbon copy of the check left hook off the ropes that Mayweather deployed in December,  that resulted in the first knock down. I really can't see Hatton having more than three more fights after this, maybe only two. He should beat Paulie Malignacci next but on this form the much smaller Manny Pac might have a good chance of knocking him out...

Sounds to me like a classic case of a boxer failing in there big moment and then never quite measuring up to there old form again. We have seen this many times throughout boxing history. yes.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ May 29 2008, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 26 2008, 01:18 PM)

Well he looked sharp in his offence and landed a ton of good shots, especially to the body and Lazcano was tough as hell, but his defence was virtually non-existent. He ate dozens of left-hooks in particular but also walked into jabs like a blind guy walking into a lamp post. In the 10th he walked into a carbon copy of the check left hook off the ropes that Mayweather deployed in December,  that resulted in the first knock down. I really can't see Hatton having more than three more fights after this, maybe only two. He should beat Paulie Malignacci next but on this form the much smaller Manny Pac might have a good chance of knocking him out...

Sounds to me like a classic case of a boxer failing in there big moment and then never quite measuring up to there old form again. We have seen this many times throughout boxing history. yes.gif

To be honest Hatton's not looked that great for a while, he never used to do all that holding and wrestling that he does now. It used to be nimble footwork making angles for body shots and scorching left hooks upstairs too and non-stop. Too much clinching these days. Against Floyd he put on the physical pressure and Mayweather felt it but hatton didn't land much in the way of punches and was pretty much out-muscled and out-worked inside, where he was supposed to be stronger. Once Floyd decided it was safe to unleash more of his pin-point counters it was just a matter of time.

Which fighter is more shot at this stage of the game, Evander Hollyfield or Mike Tyson ?

Just want your opinion as to what would happen if they fought now ?

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 9 2008, 06:58 AM)
Which fighter is more shot at this stage of the game, Evander Hollyfield or Mike Tyson ?

Just want your opinion as to what would happen if they fought now ?

Tyson is more shot, much more shot, particularly mentally, I think Holyfield would beat him again. If they'd met in the 80s I'd've picked Tyson, maybe even if they'd met in 91 before Mike went to prison. I even picked Tyson to kill Holy when they first fought in 1996. Now though Evander owns Mike, he'd beat him 10 times out of 10 (not that they'd mean anything now) after that first beating he gave him. Holyfield has got him beat mentally for all time...

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ Jun 9 2008, 10:34 AM)
My question is this: Will boxing ever regain any measure of respect and admiration among the public?

2.gif

Boxing is a microcosm of the world, a few people want to make a huge amount of money and they want to go on making a huge amount of money and to do this they control everyone else. In boxing they buy up all the talent and hide it on PPV and cable, so the casual sports has no idea who the top boxers even are. This is the main problem.

Other problems are, the mainstream press have other priorities - in America they blanket cover the big 4 of baseball, football, basketball and hockey, plus other sports like golf, track and field, tennis, then there's MMA, UFC and even wrestling. In Europe it goes the same with other sports but the press here is obsessed with football, rugby and cricket and even darts and snooker. And once again all the minority audience channels own all the fighters here too, in the UK it's sentana and Sky, so again most people have no idea who's who in boxing beyond the Hattons, Calzaghes and maybe the Mayweathers and the Oscars who they may have only just heard of.

The mainstream press only prints a boxing story these days if it's about a retired fighter from another era, a negative story about a boxer becoming a criminal or a Mike Tyson story which is sort of both...

here is my question

Can you name a song about boxing?

If so.... how many?

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 9 2008, 03:28 PM)
here is my question
Can you name a song about boxing?
If so.... how many?

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

Simon and garfunkel - The Boxer

Bob Dylan - Hurricane

Hmmm I'm sure I know more than that but I'm a blank right now...

fisticuffs by Primus is a great one, check it out.

Tree:

Why are Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant the best we've got for providing the color commentating and ringside banter? Isnt it bad enough we have to deal with Harold Lederman's score cards?

Between the 3 of them, I cant watch or enjoy most bouts.

Larry Merchant is incapable of a.) making eye contact with any one or any thing and b.) asks the most retarded questions of both his color commentating partners as well as post-fight interviews. Its as if he's been absorbing the head blows all these years and not the fighters he's covering.

Jim Lampley reminds me of what it might look like if Gomer Pile and Jim Palmer had an illegitimate son. Put Lennox Lewis or Don King between these guys and you have the potential for a live TV bloopers reel.

Come on Tree, tell me we cant do better for the sport?

PTA

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jun 10 2008, 01:45 PM)
Tree:

Why are Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant the best we've got for providing the color commentating and ringside banter? Isnt it bad enough we have to deal with Harold Lederman's score cards?
Between the 3 of them, I cant watch or enjoy most bouts.

Larry Merchant is incapable of a.) making eye contact with any one or any thing and b.) asks the most retarded questions of both his color commentating partners as well as post-fight interviews. Its as if he's been absorbing the head blows all these years and not the fighters he's covering.

Jim Lampley reminds me of what it might look like if Gomer Pile and Jim Palmer had an illegitimate son. Put Lennox Lewis or Don King between these guys and you have the potential for a live TV bloopers reel.

Come on Tree, tell me we cant do better for the sport?

PTA

I quite like Larry Merchant actually, he's quite funny and he puts the questions to the fighters, he's a bit of an old school journo. I definitely prefer him to Max Kellerman who appears to have a red hot poker up his arse all the time judging from his constantly bulging, staring eyes. Lampley is ok as a blow by blow guy but should be gagged the rest of the time...

The showtime team are better these days I think...

Last week you had the comparison, I watched the Williams blow-out against Quintana, then Forest v the contender guy Mora, both on Showtime, then quick over to HBO for Kelly Pavlik and I did prefer the Showtime job. As an expert colour guy I prefer Manny Steward to Foreman and Lewis btw...

What the hell is the deal with Floyd retiring ? confused13.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 16 2008, 12:49 PM)
What the hell is the deal with Floyd retiring ? confused13.gif

Aha the Boxing Gods have deemed to grant me a boxing question...

Hello Ticky, good question there... bekloppt.gif

Well this is tricky, I think Floyd has reached the point where he wants the superstar status of being a superstar boxer, without having to actually do the boxing. They say it's hard to get up and run at 4 am when you're sliding out from silk sheets.

I think Floyd wants to cherry pick fights and has for a while but now he can't even motivate himself for big fights and not even huge money fights like Oscar rematches. That fight didn't capture the public's imagination anyway, Floyd won already and most people regard Oscar as a fighter of the past who is more of promoter these days who competes only for his ego, his fights seem to have no meaning at all now in a sporting sense, like the Steve Forbes fight, which was interesting but never exciting.

It may be that Floyd is looking for MEGA payday to fight whoever emerges from the Margarito, Cotto, the revitalised Paul Williams, Joshua Clottey and Andre Berto scenarios. Or maybe Manny Pac if manny can beat Diaz and then Hatton. That would be huge!

Overall I think it's a bit of everything, he's bored, his hands are busted, he can't motivate himself, it's a ploy to make more money, he's grooming himself as a wrestling/film star...

It's hard to see the sense in it though...

If I had my way I'd have him fight the Margo-Cotto winner, a possible Williams-Clottey winner and then Berto, then maybe the Hatton-Pac winner, and THEN retire...

QUOTE (Sark @ Jun 18 2008, 09:32 AM)
What do you think the outcome of the Diaz-Pac fight will be?

When looking at the Pac-Diaz fight you have to realize that Bob Arum has had this fight brewing for some time, ie Diaz has been specially selected to be the belt-holding opponent for Pac's lightweight ascension and he's supposed to lose while putting up a decent effort. Not only was he specially selected btw, he was pretty much installed as WBC lightweight champion when he stepped down from 140 pounds to face a badly shot Erik Morales who Pac had destroyed twice and ruined, and who was really just a tall featherweight/super-bantam anyway, and even then Diaz only scraped through and a lot of people thought Erik actually won, me included...

So Pac should win this one handily, right? Bob is effusive in his praise of Diaz but he's got to do the promoting somehow hasn't he? I remember Diaz when he was a junior welterweight prospect who was kept in cotton wool for years fighting no-hopers. Then when he stepped up and faced a live challenger in Kendall Holt he was exposed and stopped badly, so plan B was initiated by his management. Meanwhile now we knew why they'd kept him fighting tomatos cans for all those years.

In essence the fight can be summed up like this: Diaz's main asset is his natural size, but in boxing what matters most is whether you can fight or not, not how big you are, yeah it's that simple, and Pac can fight a hell of a lot better than David Diaz. I mean Diaz isn't even the best Diaz in the division never mind the best boxer...

Pac will beat the shite out of Diaz for wide UD or a late and brutal stoppage pick up the WBC trinket and move on to the real fights that Arum wnats him in, against Hatton, De La Hoya, Casamayor, Khan or one of the other Diaz guys, most likely Juan Diaz. In fact as well as the mexican assassin, Pac might end being dubbed the Diaz killer before he's through...

So if you were to box the lovely lady in your avatar, how many rounds would you go before you let her win?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2008, 01:58 PM)
So if you were to box the lovely lady in your avatar, how many rounds would you go before you let her win?

Well I'd let it go a few rounds so I could get plenty of kinky combat body contact, then I'd suddenly cave in around round 4 and grab onto her as I fell to the deck leaving us both in a sweaty heap on the canvas for quite some time...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2008, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Jun 18 2008, 09:32 AM)
What do you think the outcome of the Diaz-Pac fight will be?

When looking at the Pac-Diaz fight you have to realize that Bob Arum has had this fight brewing for some time, ie Diaz has been specially selected to be the belt-holding opponent for Pac's lightweight ascension and he's supposed to lose while putting up a decent effort. Not only was he specially selected btw, he was pretty much installed as WBC lightweight champion when he stepped down from 140 pounds to face a badly shot Erik Morales who Pac had destroyed twice and ruined, and who was really just a tall featherweight/super-bantam anyway, and even then Diaz only scraped through and a lot of people thought Erik actually won, me included...

So Pac should win this one handily, right? Bob is effusive in his praise of Diaz but he's got to do the promoting somehow hasn't he? I remember Diaz when he was a junior welterweight prospect who was kept in cotton wool for years fighting no-hopers. Then when he stepped up and faced a live challenger in Kendall Holt he was exposed and stopped badly, so plan B was initiated by his management. Meanwhile now we knew why they'd kept him fighting tomatos cans for all those years.

In essence the fight can be summed up like this: Diaz's main asset is his natural size, but in boxing what matters most is whether you can fight or not, not how big you are, yeah it's that simple, and Pac can fight a hell of a lot better than David Diaz. I mean Diaz isn't even the best Diaz in the division never mind the best boxer...

Pac will beat the shite out of Diaz for wide UD or a late and brutal stoppage pick up the WBC trinket and move on to the real fights that Arum wnats him in, against Hatton, De La Hoya, Casamayor, Khan or one of the other Diaz guys, most likely Juan Diaz. In fact as well as the mexican assassin, Pac might end being dubbed the Diaz killer before he's through...

That's the best I've seen Pac look, but don't forget this was a set-up fight for Pac, Diaz was selected because although a belt-holder, he's a slow, face-first journeyman with no power. Still it was a very impressive win at lightweight for a guy who was once a flyweight world champion...

Good fights we might see him in next year: Hatton, the Campbell-Guzman winner, the Casamayor-Marquez winner, maybe even Mayweather when he makes the inevitable comeback...

Next up could be KO artist Edwin Valero...