Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Lets have your analysis of Forbes vs. DeLahoya, this weekend ?

QUOTE (tick @ May 1 2008, 11:07 AM)

The Forbes fight is bascially a tune-up fight for Oscar before the September rematch with Mayweather. Yeah Oscar is talking Forbes up saying he's a great fighter, "I'm not underestimating him" and blah blah blah, and yes Steve's pretty good, probably the most talented fighter to appear in the Contender series, but he's also the smallest fighter Oscar's faced since Julio Cesar Chavez in 1998. Steve is a natural 130 pounder who's grown into a small junior welterweight. Oscar also started at 130 but he was a big, tall kid who could make 130 because he was young and he's fought at 147 or above since 1995 against top opponents, even as high as 160 pounds. He's KO'd the likes of Fernando Vargas (a career light-middleweight) Ricardo Mayorga (iron-jawed welterweight), Gatti, Oba Carr and so on. Forbes has had a handful of fights above 130 against very average fighters, most of them 5 round contender contests.

This fight should be an easy workout for Oscar, either a KO in 5 or 6 or earlier, or a one-sided 12 round pasting for a unanimous verdict. If he allows Forbes to go the distance though then he's seriously slipped. A loss of course would be a total disaster and bye bye Mayweather fight, but he won't lose, Forbes was picked for a reason, he's no threat in this fight.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 12:02 PM)

The Forbes fight is bascially a tune-up fight for Oscar before the September rematch with Mayweather. Yeah Oscar is talking Forbes up saying he's a great fighter, "I'm not underestimating him" and blah blah blah, and yes Steve's pretty good, probably the most talented fighter to appear in the Contender series, but he's also the smallest fighter Oscar's faced since Julio Cesar Chavez in 1998. Steve is a natural 130 pounder who's grown into a small junior welterweight. Oscar also started at 130 but he was a big, tall kid who could make 130 because he was young and he's fought at 147 or above since 1995 against top opponents, even as high as 160 pounds. He's KO'd the likes of Fernando Vargas (a career light-middleweight) Ricardo Mayorga (iron-jawed welterweight), Gatti, Oba Carr and so on. Forbes has had a handful of fights above 130 against very average fighters, most of them 5 round contender contests.

This fight should be an easy workout for Oscar, either a KO in 5 or 6 or earlier, or a one-sided 12 round pasting for a unanimous verdict. If he allows Forbes to go the distance though then he's seriously slipped. A loss of course would be a total disaster and bye bye Mayweather fight, but he won't lose, Forbes was picked for a reason, he's no threat in this fight.

Forbes in an utter destuction of Oscar ! I say he drops Oscar in 3 ! 1022.gif yes.gif

joker.gif LOL.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

Edited by tick

Who would have won a fight between Gerry Cooney and Mike Weaver ?

How about Mike Weaver vs. Ken Norton ?

How about Dokes vs. Frank Brunno ?

Do you think Cooney was any good or just a great white hoax ? Was he respectable vs. Holmes ?

Good questions eh ? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 1 2008, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 12:02 PM)

Forbes in an utter destuction of Oscar ! I say he drops Oscar in 3 ! 1022.gif yes.gif

joker.gif LOL.gif atickhum.gif music.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 1 2008, 12:28 PM)
Who would have won a fight between Gerry Cooney and Mike Weaver ?
How about Mike Weaver vs. Ken Norton ?
How about Dokes vs. Frank Brunno ?

Do you think Cooney was any good or just a great white hoax ? Was he respectable vs. Holmes ?

Good questions eh ? atickhum.gif

Yeah all good questions Ticky

atickhum.gif trink39.gif

Hmmm Cooney and Weaver, well they were both big punchers so it would likely end with someone on the floor. I'd go with Cooney, Weaver showed a bit of a china chin against lesser punchers, he was knocked out by Dokes, Pinklon Thomas and someone called Johnny Duploy from South Africa if I recall plus others. Cooney only got stopped by Holmes (in his prime) who also KO'd Weaver. So I'd go with Cooney winning a crazy shootout in 6.

Weaver-Norton at their peaks? Norton, he'd have soaked up the Weaver bombs and broke him down late. in the 80s Weaver would probably have beaten an old Ken on points.

Bruno-Dokes? This would have been a good fight, Dokes was a nice boxer with pretty good power and fast hands, but he had a few stamina problems. Bruno was another guy who seemed to gas it though so it would be a see-saw kind of contest. Bruno had a reputation for being chinny after KO losses to TIm Witherspoon, Bonecrusher Smith and Tyson, but in each of those fights Frank soaked up a ton of punishment and wasn't really knocked out but rather he seemed to short circuit like a robot, after running out of gas, and then he would slowly sink to the canvas or hang in the ropes like a lumbering marionette with his strings cut. All those guys were bigger punchers than Dokes too btw. I'd say that Dokes would out-box Bruno early and then start blowing and the greater punching power of Bruno would take it's toll for a late Bruno KO, he'd win this battle of the gassers.

I think Cooney was better than people thought he was after the Holmes loss but not as good as people who built him up before the fight considered him to be. He was a dangerous puncher, a brawler really, certainly as good as Jerry Quarry at least. I think a lot of people got carried away with Cooney and expectations got too high so when he lost, in a good fight to a great champion, people went overboard the other way and judged him too harshly. It didn't help that Cooney never really tried to redeem himself until it was way too late. He should have come back soon after the Holmes fight and won some more big fights and had another crack at a title fight maybe with one of the other champions, but he just had two or three low-key fights then disappeared. When he came back against an old Foreman and Michael Spinks years later he was done and it was just a sideshow really and he was KO'd both times like he didn't belong in there. Sad really, but such is boxing and such is life...

Howdy Tree!

You know, I've always wanted to talk about the way I saw Ali fight in the films and old tapes I see these days, and I have a question for you that will seem a bit strange, but it doesn't to me!

I watch fights between him and Foreman as well as the less known fighters he fought along the way, and I always think to my self..."It just looks to me like this guy could really say 'Ok...I'm bored with this fight', and just go out the next round and lay someone out".

I don't know why I think that...but it just seemed to be that way to me...he made up his mind that the fight would end in this round, and it did. At least when he was younger.

I guess I really started to think that during a fight I was watching on VS the other night, and I can't really remember who he was against, but there was a point in the 4th round, where the guy he was fighting had him in a corner, and he had this totally aggitated look on his face. He pushed him out of the corner, waved his hands at him like as to say "This is going to hurt", and went directly after him...within 45 seconds, the ref was kneeling over the other guy counting and Ali was standing in the white corner with his arms draped over the ropes almost sleeping.

I really wish I could remember who he fought that night, and if I see it again, I'll sure post who it was.

He was clearly great, and I think a lot of people find him the greatest fighter of all time. (and now to the question)

Do you get the impression that he really could just stand up after a break and take someone out at any time? Was he so good that he could just say "Ok...enough now" and it was over in 30 seconds?

I enjoy watching the old school boxers...the heavy weights were just a terror, and they threw elbows and everything but the kitchen sink...it was a totally different time!

Thanks!

Jay :-)

EDIT: Anyone else that would like to comment on this, please do!

Edited by JDL2112

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ May 1 2008, 03:14 PM)
Howdy Tree!

You know, I've always wanted to talk about the way I saw Ali fight in the films and old tapes I see these days, and I have a question for you that will seem a bit strange, but it doesn't to me!

I watch fights between him and Foreman as well as the less known fighters he fought along the way, and I always think to my self..."It just looks to me like this guy could really say 'Ok...I'm bored with this fight', and just go out the next round and lay someone out".

I don't know why I think that...but it just seemed to be that way to me...he made up his mind that the fight would end in this round, and it did. At least when he was younger.

I guess I really started to think that during a fight I was watching on VS the other night, and I can't really remember who he was against, but there was a point in the 4th round, where the guy he was fighting had him in a corner, and he had this totally aggitated look on his face. He pushed him out of the corner, waved his hands at him like as to say "This is going to hurt", and went directly after him...within 45 seconds, the ref was kneeling over the other guy counting and Ali was standing in the white corner with his arms draped over the ropes almost sleeping.

I really wish I could remember who he fought that night, and if I see it again, I'll sure post who it was.

He was clearly great, and I think a lot of people find him the greatest fighter of all time. (and now to the question)

Do you get the impression that he really could just stand up after a break and take someone out at any time? Was he so good that he could just say "Ok...enough now" and it was over in 30 seconds?

I enjoy watching the old school boxers...the heavy weights were just a terror, and they threw elbows and everything but the kitchen sink...it was a totally different time!

Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone else that would like to comment on this, please do!

Well I'm not sure who the fight you described was against, Archie Moore maybe? He went out in 4...

Yeah Ali was great athletically and mentally. he seemed to always be at least one step ahead of his opponents in both areas, especially at his peak.

It's possible Ali could have been more destructive in his career if he'd set his mind to it, but his style with all the movement, sometimes for 15 rounds, made knockouts difficult to achieve. He hardly ever set himself to land the big ones and it's pretty difficult to get maximum KO power in your punches when you're on the move. Against certain opponents I think he was able to maybe hold back and then unleash his big stuff in whatever round he predicted to get the "psychic" KO, but I doubt he was able to do this against fighters like Frazier and Foreman. It's a pity he didn't face these guys in his first stint as champion in the 60s, he was much more static in the 70s so he may well have beaten them and other tough opponents like Ken Norton easily around say 66 or 67, though to be fair they weren't quite ready at that point.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 01:35 PM)
Howdy Tree!

I don't know why I think that...but it just seemed to be that way to me...he made up his mind that the fight would end in this round, and it did.  At least when he was younger.

I guess I really started to think that during a fight I was watching on VS the other night, and I can't really remember who he was against, but there was a point in the 4th round, where the guy he was fighting had him in a corner, and he had this totally aggitated look on his face.  He pushed him out of the corner, waved his hands at him like as to say "This is going to hurt", and went directly after him...within 45 seconds, the ref was kneeling over the other guy counting and Ali was standing in the white corner with his arms draped over the ropes almost sleeping. 

Do you get the impression that he really could just stand up after a break and take someone out at any time?  Was he so good that he could just say "Ok...enough now" and it was over in 30 seconds?

Thanks!

EDIT:  Anyone else that would like to comment on this, please do!

Well I'm not sure who the fight you described was against, Archie Moore maybe? He went out in 4...

Yeah Ali was great athletically and mentally. he seemed to always be at least one step ahead of his opponents in both areas, especially at his peak.

It's possible Ali could have been more destructive in his career if he'd set his mind to it, but his style with all the movement, sometimes for 15 rounds, made knockouts difficult to achieve. He hardly ever set himself to land the big ones and it's pretty difficult to get maximum KO power in your punches when you're on the move. Against certain opponents I think he was able to maybe hold back and then unleash his big stuff in whatever round he predicted to get the "psychic" KO, but I doubt he was able to do this against fighters like Frazier and Foreman. It's a pity he didn't face these guys in his first stint as champion in the 60s, he was much more static in the 70s so he may well have beaten them and other tough opponents like Ken Norton easily around say 66 or 67, though to be fair they weren't quite ready at that point.

Yes! Archie Moore sounds familiar! Thanks for clearing my mind! tongue.gif

You are so right about his early career moves and fights. I could see him being really tough against the later years opponents. He was really flashy, no question about it. And now that I think about it, he did carry quite a few fights the distance didn't he? Wow Tree...you are like a walking boxing encyclopedia!

Thanks for the feedback!

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ May 1 2008, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 01:35 PM)
Howdy Tree!

I don't know why I think that...but it just seemed to be that way to me...he made up his mind that the fight would end in this round, and it did.  At least when he was younger.

I guess I really started to think that during a fight I was watching on VS the other night, and I can't really remember who he was against, but there was a point in the 4th round, where the guy he was fighting had him in a corner, and he had this totally aggitated look on his face.  He pushed him out of the corner, waved his hands at him like as to say "This is going to hurt", and went directly after him...within 45 seconds, the ref was kneeling over the other guy counting and Ali was standing in the white corner with his arms draped over the ropes almost sleeping. 

Do you get the impression that he really could just stand up after a break and take someone out at any time?  Was he so good that he could just say "Ok...enough now" and it was over in 30 seconds?

Thanks!

EDIT:  Anyone else that would like to comment on this, please do!

Yes! Archie Moore sounds familiar! Thanks for clearing my mind! tongue.gif

You are so right about his early career moves and fights. I could see him being really tough against the later years opponents. He was really flashy, no question about it. And now that I think about it, he did carry quite a few fights the distance didn't he? Wow Tree...you are like a walking boxing encyclopedia!

Thanks for the feedback!

trink39.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

cool10.gif

Can Oscar win the rematch ?

QUOTE (tick @ May 4 2008, 06:03 PM)

Hello Tick, did you enjoy the fight? I thought it was pretty good although my expectations weren't very high.

Can Oscar win the Mayweather rematch? No. It's all just a money-making exercise, as if they need it. Short of a miracle KO punch landing it'll be another points win for Floyd. Even if Oscar jabs as well as he did against Forbes, Mayweather will make the adjustment, even if Floyd snr comes up with the perfect game plan, Floyd will go up a another gear, even if Floyd snr reveals to Oscar his son's secret weakness, Floyd will turn up the volume and win the fight.

I'm not dismissing Oscar but although he's still pretty good, there's something missing. He couldn't really hurt Forbes and despite Forbes' good chin and great defence, he had no power and DLH should have stopped him. I think inactivity and age and Mayweather's skill will create another close win for Floyd who will coast to victory.

QUOTE (Battlestarfilmmaker @ May 4 2008, 06:07 PM)
Will heavy weight boxing ever make the comeback and loose the many sanctioning bodies with belts?

Well in the heavyweight division today we have Vlad Klitchko and a host of faceless Europeans and American novices, plus the usual posse of over the hill veterans. Who, outside of boxing fans and people from the Ukraine, really cares about Vlad? A guy who in his last fight employed a girlish slap to his opponent's glove as his main weapon for most of the 12 round "fight" No one wants to watch a 6'6" giant, who's got muscles on his muscles, fight like he's scared to death against a smaller guy who looks like he trained on beer and donuts, it's kind of embarrassing not to mention boring. We know why he fights like this though because he's been knocked out three times against modest opposition due to chin problems and stamina issues. So for him it makes sense but it's no good for the fans.

I think the heavyweight division needs a star to emerge, it needs a 21st century Ali or Tyson, someone who can capture the imagination of the casual sports fan and the wider public. More or less everybody in the world knew who Ali was in the 60s and 70s and it was the same with Mike Tyson in the 80s. Though in the 70s there were so many good heavyweights fighting each other that the division pretty much sold itself, we should be so lucky today. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and that's all there is to it.

Watch out for David Haye coming up form Cruiserweight later in the year, he might be the antidote to the heavyweight malise, or he might get KO'd either way at least he fights like a fighter.

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 5 2008, 01:55 AM)

Hello Tick, did you enjoy the fight? I thought it was pretty good although my expectations weren't very high.

Can Oscar win the Mayweather rematch? No. It's all just a money-making exercise, as if they need it. Short of a miracle KO punch landing it'll be another points win for Floyd. Even if Oscar jabs as well as he did against Forbes, Mayweather will make the adjustment, even if Floyd snr comes up with the perfect game plan, Floyd will go up a another gear, even if Floyd snr reveals to Oscar his son's secret weakness, Floyd will turn up the volume and win the fight.

I'm not dismissing Oscar but although he's still pretty good, there's something missing. He couldn't really hurt Forbes and despite Forbes' good chin and great defence, he had no power and DLH should have stopped him. I think inactivity and age and Mayweather's skill will create another close win for Floyd who will coast to victory.

I did enjoy the fight for what it was.

I think a fight against a guy like Forbes is a no win situation for Oscar.

If he struggles and looks bad, no credit goes to Forbes, it would be said that Oscars over the hill.

If he knocked him out in 3 then Forbes was just a bum.

If he dominates him through 12 and wins the descision as he did, the critics feel its not good enough to compete with a guy like Floyd.

I agree he wont win the rematch but I feel its unfair to say its because of his effort against Forbes. I think Steve Forbes gave everything he had to try and take advantage of the biggest opportunity in his career and that should not be disscredited. At the end of the day, he is just not good enough to beat a guy as tallented as Oscar is, even in the twilight of his career.

Look for the rematch to be pretty much the same as the first time out. Oscar is a year older but will give everything his has left in him to try and win this fight. In the end, just as Forbes best effort and determination was not enough, neither will Oscars be enough.

I still say, Cotto, Mayweather will be one for the ages and for me personally, will be my most antisipated fight in many, many, years.

If he struggles and looks bad, no credit goes to Forbes, it would be said that Oscars over the hill.

If he dominates him through 12 and wins the descision as he did, the critics feel its not good enough to compete with a guy like Floyd.

I agree he wont win the rematch but I feel its unfair to say its because of his effort against Forbes. I think Steve Forbes gave everything he had to try and take advantage of the biggest opportunity in his career and that should not be disscredited. At the end of the day, he is just not good enough to beat a guy as tallented as Oscar is, even in the twilight of his career.

Look for the rematch to be pretty much the same as the first time out. Oscar is a year older but will give everything his has left in him to try and win this fight. In the end, just as Forbes best effort and determination was not enough, neither will Oscars be enough.

I still say, Cotto, Mayweather will be one for the ages and for me personally, will be my most antisipated fight in many, many, years.

QUOTE (tick @ May 5 2008, 11:48 AM)

The talk at the moment is win or lose against Floyd it's gonna be Oscar who fights Cotto first in December but Antonio Margarito might have something to say about that. Meanwhile Mayweather is interested in a rematch with Hatton.

Ducky, give me some insight on tonights HBO, young guns card ?

QUOTE (tick @ May 17 2008, 05:56 PM)
Ducky, give me some insight on tonights HBO, young guns card ?

Well the main attraction on this card is the Cuban sensation Yuriorkis Gamboa, who may well be the best prospect in boxing. He's a featherweight/super-featherweight (126-130 pounds) and he's been described as a mini Mike Tyson with more skill and Meldrick Taylor's speed. It just so happens I was watching a couple of his latest fights on youtube the other day and he does look good, fast and powerful with good moves, though he does keep his hands a bit low and gets tagged now and then. There's been all kinds of talk about him fighting Manny Pac, Guzman, Valero, and britain's lightweight hope Amir Khan, but it's sort of premature as he's only had 9 fights (8 by KO). Having said that he's 26 so he does need to be on the fast track which he is, because tonight he goes in with a real danger man, Darling Jimenez of the Dominican Republic, who has a 23-2-2 record. Last time he stopped Mike Anchondo in 3, which is impressive so he's a threat. He's never been stopped and his two losses were close and hotly contested and disputed, no one has beaten Jimenez convincingly. Tonight though Yuri will do just that. Gamboa by TKO 8. I hope i've not put the hoodoo on him now...

Meanwhile at 154 AKA junior middleweight we have the USA's own James Kirkland versus Nigeria's tall Eromosele Albert. Kirkland is unbeaten 21-0 (18) is rated by the alphabet governing bodies in the top ten. he's another Mike Tyson lookalike and he even dresses like him, solid black shorts and black boots with no socks and he's also a big puncher like him. The Nigerian Albet has some good wins on his record such as Daniel Edouard (who foguht Jermain Taylor just before he first took on Bernard Hopkins), Yori Boy Campas and the then unbeaten Jonathan Banks, so this is a good match-up too. Could go either way, I'll tentatively pick Kirkland to win a decision.

Also on the bill is an intersting light middleweight (154) clash between Alfed Angulo (Mexico via california) and Richard Gutierrez (Colombia via Miami). Angulo is unbeaten 12-0 with 9 KOs and he's dangerous early. Gutiererrez has lost only once and that was on points to the excellent Joshua Clottey so no disgrace there, but it was at 147 so he's going in as the smaller man against the natural 154 pounder Angulo. He's won his three fights since Clottey and looked good apparently. I go for Angulo with his size and power advantage to force a stoppage in about 10 rounds.

Finally we have the former world amateur champion at heavyweight, like Gamboa, from Cuba Olandier Solis. He's talented of course but hasn't got himself in shape of late and looked pretty fat in his pro fights so far, it's not hindered him though as he's 9-0. I remember seeing him in the amateur final against David Haye and after Haye rattled him in round 1 almost Koing him he rallied to stop Haye controversially in the third. In that fight he showeed good skills and decent power. he could be a prospect but I'm not so sure, he may end up like that Cuban heavy and former amateur star of the 90s Gonzalez who was destroyed and ruined by Riddick Bowe. Who knows though, time will tell.

I think there's a good tongan on the bill too Bowie Tupou (14-0 11), I'm not sure about this guy though not seen him he's highly touted but I don't know.

A quick word about Chris Byrd...

The former heavyweight champ cut 40 pounds after his last loss at heavy and fought last night at 175 pounds against Shaun George and was stopped in 9. Physically his torso looked ripped but he looked drawn and weak in the face and his legs looked like matchsticks. He performed in a sluggish manner and was weak and slow and just couldn't compete at this weight after years of fighting the big guys. Age, wear and tear and that big weight cut definitely hurt Chris and he should probably retire. Even though the weight he lost was mostly fat, his body was used to having that 40 pound resource to draw on and when it wasn't there this time he was left hanging like a byrd on the wire. It's pity to see this I like Chris and he did great as a small light-hitting guy in the heavyweight division. Hopefully he will hang em up after this.

(I've not checked this post for mistakes so forgive any typos)

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 17 2008, 06:13 PM)
Is it fun to punch someone in the face and therefore cause them an immense amount of pain?

Not for me no, when I was in fights my mind was kind of too busy in the moment to think clearly, i didn't have time to think, I didn't even have time to bleed!! other times when it was aware, I'd say no, I felt like I was damaging the universe itself, hurting a part of nature, the natural order...

sad.gif

("didn't have time to bleed" comment borrowed from Iran Barkley's after fight interview after he knocked out Thomas Hearns in 1988, thank you Iran.)

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 17 2008, 06:38 PM)
Finally we have the former world amateur champion at heavyweight, like Gamboa, from Cuba Olandier Solis. He's talented of course but hasn't got himself in shape of late and looked pretty fat in his pro fights so far, it's not hindered him though as he's 9-0. I remember seeing him in the amateur final against David Haye and after Haye rattled him in round 1 almost Koing him he rallied to stop Haye controversially in the third. In that fight he showeed good skills and decent power. he could be a prospect but I'm not so sure, he may end up like that Cuban heavy and former amateur star of the 90s Gonzalez who was destroyed and ruined by Riddick Bowe. Who knows though, time will tell.

I just read somewhere that Solis didn't get his visa sorted out in time so he won't be able to make his HBO debut tonight unfortunately, but he's still one to watch out for. He might be on his promoter's next US bill on June 27th instead...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 17 2008, 04:46 PM)
Is it fun to punch someone in the face and therefore cause them an immense amount of pain?

Not for me no, when I was in fights my mind was kind of too busy in the moment to think clearly, i didn't have time to think, I didn't even have time to bleed!! other times when it was aware, I'd say no, I felt like I was damaging the universe itself, hurting a part of nature, the natural order...

sad.gif

("didn't have time to bleed" comment borrowed from Iran Barkley's after fight interview after he knocked out Thomas Hearns in 1988, thank you Iran.)

so if you feel like you are damaging nature why do you do it?

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ May 17 2008, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 17 2008, 04:46 PM)

sad.gif

so if you feel like you are damaging nature why do you do it?

Well I was either a little kid or a teenager, most of my fights were in the school playground or the back of Rumbelows in the car park. I think the last time I had a fight was 1988 so that was like when I was 21 and i was drunk I think... 20 years ago wow I'm an oldie!! I better retire!!

trink38.gif

laugh.gif