Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Pacman vs Thurmond tomorrow.

Its an interesting match up. Outside of a clean knockout by either guy, I can't think of a result that would shock me.

50/50 fight because Pac is 40 now and Thurman is unbeaten and pretty good. The Pac of 10 years ago would have destroyed Thurman. As it is I see Pac winning the fight by stoppage in 8 or 9 rounds. Thurman isn't even as good as he used to be either and looked terrible in his last fight against a journeyman (a real journeyman this time), who almost knocked him out in round 7 which saw Thurman get knocked from pillar to post for 3 minutes.

I think Fury won the Wilder fight by 2 rounds and 1 point because of the knockdown.

He moves really well for a guy as big as he is. He is more than a journeyman and if his mind is right, he is the best heavyweight in boxing right now.

I want to see him fight Wilder again.

Last night he fought like the outcome was assured. You can take that however you want.

It was. The guy he fought was a chump.

I still think he is better than Wilder or Joshua. For what that's worth.

I think there was something wrong with Joshua. I noticed something weird in his attitude before the fight even started. I'm not sure if he was injured or ill or what but he definitely wasn't 100%. If he was 100% and that performance was the best he could possibly do against Ruiz then they wouldn't have taken the rematch.

And in the fight itself Joshua got hit with a good shot to the back side of his head and he never recovered from the effects. That's why he lost. So the question is can Ruiz land that shot again and if he can't, can he beat Joshua without landing it?

• Like 1

Its an interesting match up. Outside of a clean knockout by either guy, I can't think of a result that would shock me.

50/50 fight because Pac is 40 now and Thurman is unbeaten and pretty good. The Pac of 10 years ago would have destroyed Thurman. As it is I see Pac winning the fight by stoppage in 8 or 9 rounds. Thurman isn't even as good as he used to be either and looked terrible in his last fight against a journeyman (a real journeyman this time), who almost knocked him out in round 7 which saw Thurman get knocked from pillar to post for 3 minutes.

Stoppage though?

I am leaning Pac but I would be shocked if it's by knockout.

Stoppage though?

I am leaning Pac but I would be shocked if it's by knockout.

Thurman looks ready to be taken, honestly he looked terrible last time and couldn't even stop a guy that has been stopped at least three times before, even Andre Berto stopped him in 6.

Here's Thurman-Lopez round 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTdwY5vSefE

Lennox Lewis was a sublime heavyweight but managed to get stopped twice by nonentities.

He was too busy doing Oceans 11 to train for the Rachman fight and I think he just underestimated McCall.

Oliver McCall might be "nonentity" to the casual boxing fan but he has a very good claim to have the best chin in heavyweight history, maybe in boxing history. Even in the second fight with Lewis when he was having a mental meltdown and seemed to be unaware he was even in a fight, Lewis couldn't hurt him. And he was never stopped in any other fight. He sparred with Tyson for years and Tyson always tried to take his head off but he couldn't even knock the "f**k you" expression off his face.

• Like 1

Not a bad call on reflection. Not sure about the judge who gave it to Thurman though.

Lennox Lewis was a sublime heavyweight but managed to get stopped twice by nonentities.

Also no chin. But when he took guys seriously he was hard to hit.

Did you think Joshua looked anything less than embarrassing last night? The punches that hurt him were highly suspect. Guy can't take a punch at all.

He looked lacking in stamina. He’s probably a flat track bully.

Thing is against Klitschko he took two rounds to recover after that knockdown, for a while he looked away with the fairies. Against Dilian Whyte he was shaken badly and again seemed to take an overlong time to recover.

What has happened to the sport I used to love.

Me too. The Heavyweight division is rubbish. Wilder couldn’t knock out Fury, Fury’s a journeyman and Dilian Whyte was flattened by Joshua but is somehow a challenger again.

When I see the likes of Lomachenko, Inoue, Usyk, Crawford, Golovkin, Canelo et al I cringe at the Heavyweight division.

That said, Joshua didn’t seem right.

No Fury isn't a journeyman, Journeymen have losses and don't always fight to win, they come to get paid regardless of the result. No fighter sets out to become a journeyman, but once they get losses and have no following they end up becoming a trial horse for upcoming fighters. Not only is Fury not a journeyman but he'd never become one because after 2 or 3 losses he'd retire thus never getting to that stage.

Sorry pal, I meant journeyman in terms of someone who has competent skills but isn’t a master craftsman. I think his chin is his biggest asset.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

Also no chin. But when he took guys seriously he was hard to hit.

Did you think Joshua looked anything less than embarrassing last night? The punches that hurt him were highly suspect. Guy can't take a punch at all.

He looked lacking in stamina. He’s probably a flat track bully.

Thing is against Klitschko he took two rounds to recover after that knockdown, for a while he looked away with the fairies. Against Dilian Whyte he was shaken badly and again seemed to take an overlong time to recover.

What has happened to the sport I used to love.

Me too. The Heavyweight division is rubbish. Wilder couldn’t knock out Fury, Fury’s a journeyman and Dilian Whyte was flattened by Joshua but is somehow a challenger again.

When I see the likes of Lomachenko, Inoue, Usyk, Crawford, Golovkin, Canelo et al I cringe at the Heavyweight division.

That said, Joshua didn’t seem right.

No Fury isn't a journeyman, Journeymen have losses and don't always fight to win, they come to get paid regardless of the result. No fighter sets out to become a journeyman, but once they get losses and have no following they end up becoming a trial horse for upcoming fighters. Not only is Fury not a journeyman but he'd never become one because after 2 or 3 losses he'd retire thus never getting to that stage.

Sorry pal, I meant journeyman in terms of someone who has competent skills but isn’t a master craftsman. I think his chin is his biggest asset.

Are you sure you're talking about the right guy? Fury has been down a few times, even a cruiserweight put him on his back. And Fury has got good skills, he hardly ever gets hit clean, which highlights even more how suspect his chin is, he doesn't get hit much but he goes down often. Like against Wilder he only really got hit cleanly twice and both times he hit the canvas, the rest of the time he was coasting to an easy victory, hitting Wilder and not getting hit back.

Not a bad call on reflection. Not sure about the judge who gave it to Thurman though.

That wasn't a close fight, Pac dominated the first half of the fight, you might give Thurman one round out of the first six, he did win a few of the rounds after that, maybe three of the last six. So 8-4 in rounds and then you've got an extra point difference for the knockdown. Thurman took a beating at times too.

16301880-0-image-a-27_1563687546960.jpg

• Like 1