whats a good beer...

xredsectorx

i have tried quite a few kinds of beer and i haven't liked any of them. i don't know what it is, i just don't like the flavor. so i'm wondering what are some beers that are less strong, or less "beer" like that i may like?? i was thinking about trying some honey lagers, maybe i would like them, but i really don't know.

i know this sounds like a really stupid question, but i want to get into drinking beer and i just can't find a kind that i like. so any suggestions would be great.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Apr 14 2008, 10:10 PM)
Are you looking for something lighter or heavier?

Something in-between would be a Killian's Irish Red (my favorite)

So many different types of beer it's hard to recommend without knowing your tastes.

i think i'm looking for something lighter. like i've tried Budwiser, and i guess its a pretty strong beer and i really didn't like it. so something lighter would be good. i've had Coors and i don't like it either, if that helps at all.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 14 2008, 11:13 PM)

Something in-between would be a Killian's Irish Red  (my favorite)

So many different types of beer it's hard to recommend without knowing your tastes.

i think i'm looking for something lighter. like i've tried Budwiser, and i guess its a pretty strong beer and i really didn't like it. so something lighter would be good. i've had Coors and i don't like it either, if that helps at all.

Bud and Coors are most definitely not strong beers. They are pretty watered down. But...maybe you mistaking "strong-tasting " for "awful-tasting." Maybe your taste buds are already past the cheap American beer stage and ready for the better stuff.

Lemme ask this first: what kind of alcohol do you like?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 14 2008, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 14 2008, 11:13 PM)

Something in-between would be a Killian's Irish Red  (my favorite)

Bud and Coors are most definitely not strong beers. They are pretty watered down. But...maybe you mistaking "strong-tasting " for "awful-tasting." Maybe your taste buds are already past the cheap American beer stage and ready for the better stuff.

Lemme ask this first: what kind of alcohol do you like?

i usually drink rum or rye, with coke of course. and yes, i would describe more like an awful taste rather than a strong one.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 09:49 AM)
I would describe more like an awful taste rather than a strong one.

That's how I would describe Bud and Coors as well. 062802puke_prv.gif

(although Killian's is made by Coors, but 1000% better than Coors/Coors Light)

I agree with some of the other suggestions, Honeybrown or a Hard Cider might be more agreeable with your tastes.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 14 2008, 11:04 PM)
i have tried quite a few kinds of beer and i haven't liked any of them. i don't know what it is, i just don't like the flavor. so i'm wondering what are some beers that are less strong, or less "beer" like that i may like?? i was thinking about trying some honey lagers, maybe i would like them, but i really don't know.

i know this sounds like a really stupid question, but i want to get into drinking beer and i just can't find a kind that i like. so any suggestions would be great.

Dude. Happy you are in Canada as I have a local recommendation for you.

I've had bazillions of beers from around the world, and when I waltz into The Beer Store I can afford to pick up whatever brand my heart desires...

I am totally hooked on a discount brand actually - Lucky Lager Light. If I'm going to be having *several* one evening I find this beer lightly flavored and refreshing without tasting like they mixed 50 percent beer with 50 percent water. A number of buddies of mine are now hooked on this also.

It's cheap - like $27ish per 24 bottles, so I might suggest that you pick up a 6-pack, get them nicely chilled and give it a shot.

Hope you love the Lucky Light! let me know if you try it!

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/images/brand/0598_s.jpg

trink39.gif

Honey Brown is a good beer, but can get a little heavy if you're drinking a bunch. That was my beer of choice for a long time. I've now switched to Molson Canadian.

I've also recently discovered Blue Moon, which is a sweet type of wheat beer that has an orange, spicy type of flavor, It's very difficult to describe, but I love it!

Go to the Samuel Addams brewery in Boston, do their beer tasting and get back to us wink.gif

No seriously though, if you hate Bud and Coors there is a good chance you will like heartier beers which taste less "piss-like", if I can say that.

Sometimes it also helps if you eat something with beer. Like, have a burger or some munchies, down with beer and see what all the fuss is about (or not about, if it's not your thing).

But yes, definitely try something better than Bud/Coors which I can't stomach myself.

ok, i picked up a can of Lakeport Honey Lager and i don't like it at all, but then again, it is cheap stuff. i have tried hard ciders before and i don't like them either. i was going to get some Honey Brown, but it will have to wait as we aren't allowed to have beer bottles in residence. what are some "heartier" beers that i may like??

maybe its possible that i just don't like beer...

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 04:28 PM)
ok, i picked up a can of Lakeport Honey Lager and i don't like it at all, but then again, it is cheap stuff. i have tried hard ciders before and i don't like them either. i was going to get some Honey Brown, but it will have to wait as we aren't allowed to have beer bottles in residence. what are some "heartier" beers that i may like??

Well you did buy one of the worst brands ever. Lakeport is so terrible.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 03:28 PM)

i think u need to stick to rye and coke. this way, you are happier, and theres more beer for us

trink38.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 03:34 PM)

Well you did buy one of the worst brands ever. Lakeport is so terrible.

Yeah man.........it is........

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

So far you've tried only lagers. Bad lagers, like the three you've tried, are just plain nasty tasting, and some people don't like good lagers (I have lost my taste for them, for instance). You need to try a good ale or pilsner. Do you have access to Newcastle Ale up there?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2008, 05:37 PM)

So far you've tried only lagers. Bad lagers, like the three you've tried, are just plain nasty tasting, and some people don't like good lagers (I have lost my taste for them, for instance). You need to try a good ale or pilsner. Do you have access to Newcastle Ale up there?

Newcastle brown is a fine drink but I am thinking that this guy just isn't going to be a beer drinker.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2008, 05:37 PM)

maybe its possible that i just don't like beer... [/quote]

But...maybe you mistaking "strong-tasting " for "awful-tasting."

that's funny shit right there #73... TRUE... and FUNNY! laugh.gif

I'm not sure h'ed like Newcastle either tho. yeah, it's mild, but i dont think it's mild enough.

I was thinking if he really wants to drink beer, go miller light man. it's the lightest piss water out there laugh.gif

AND... of course, you could always try CORONA!!! I like it because it's lighter than newcastle (which i also LOVE), and still has a decent flavour.

don't hurt me beer snobs, OK? coy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2008, 04:37 PM)

ya, after drinking them all i have discovered that they are pretty bad. like they just taste gross. and yes, i can buy Newcastle at the LCBO in town. i'll pick a can up next time i'm in.

however i'm liking PassTheAmmunition's suggestion to just stick with rum and rye. but i'm up for trying some ales to see if they are what i'm looking for. as far as i'm concerned, they can't be much worse than what i've had so far.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 06:06 PM)

ya, after drinking them all i have discovered that they are pretty bad. like they just taste gross. and yes, i can buy Newcastle at the LCBO in town. i'll pick a can up next time i'm in.

however i'm liking PassTheAmmunition's suggestion to just stick with rum and rye. but i'm up for trying some ales to see if they are what i'm looking for. as far as i'm concerned, they can't be much worse than what i've had so far.

It's hard to get worse than what you've had. You've pretty much tried the worst beers out there, and shouldn't make the decision on whether or not you like beer based on those three samples. Totally not fair.

The thing about Newcastle Brown is that it's an ale, and it doesn't have that sharp lager taste. It's smooth, relatively mild, easy to drink, but it has flavor. If you don't like Newcastle then I think it's safe to assume you won't like beer.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 06:06 PM)

It's hard to get worse than what you've had. You've pretty much tried the worst beers out there, and shouldn't make the decision on whether or not you like beer based on those three samples. Totally not fair.

The thing about Newcastle Brown is that it's an ale, and it doesn't have that sharp lager taste. It's smooth, relatively mild, easy to drink, but it has flavor. If you don't like Newcastle then I think it's safe to assume you won't like beer.

What he said. Bud... Coors... those beers are horrible. I'll drink beer but it's my last choice. I love Newcastle or any hazelnut beer. There's one by Rogue that is very good, I think. Even though it's "heavy" I think a good black and tan (that's with Bass, right, or is it with Harp's?... anyway) is really good. One will do you though. Anyway, it's good beer. Try some of those typically thought of as "heavy beers." They may surprise you. Bud and Coors, as someone else pointed out, is watered down cheap beer. YUCK!

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Apr 14 2008, 11:36 PM)
Woodchuck cider is the answer you seek.

Try it, or any other hard cider.

This man speaks wisdom and truth.

As do I. Guinness Draught is another must-try. cool.gif

Perhaps you should try a "fruit" ale or beer. Sam Adams cherry wheat ale, white ale along those lines for lighter.

Or Lindemans Framboise raspberry lambic beer which dosen't taste nothing like beer more like a sweet effervescent wine. Refreshing and delicious. smile.gif