Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 21 2010, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 21 2010, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 21 2010, 03:59 PM)
NEW STEVEN WILSON SOLO TRACK!

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/arti...-steven-wilson/

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree recorded the new, unreleased song "Home in Negative" at his studio exclusively for WNYC. Stream or download the track here, and listen to his appearance on Soundcheck.

Nice mellotron as well.

Awesome!

Cool! I can't wait for another solo release from him.

Thanks for posting that, Gompers. smile.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 22 2010, 10:04 AM)

Pags? Are you listening??? laugh.gif

Yeah bro, a cold one is waiting trink38.gif

I will be posting more of my particulars between today and tomorrow...Hopefully everything works out for me, and I get to attend with the three that I went into the city with last month...

If not, I will defintely make it evident that an extra seat is available...It's not my call...I don't know what my bud intends to do with that extra seat...Tell us to sell for 'face', at some reduced price, or even hand it over...Like I said, I will post on it...

But, if we do get into the city with time to spare, than Heartland Brewery will be it.

I'm ova 'ere now, gittin' meself psyched up for this show and I get hit mid-thorax with a bomb.

I might have THREE TICKETS for the RCMH show up fer grabs here.

Specifics and the definiteness of this deal will be posted, anywhere from the next few hours, until I guess tomorrow night.

As far as I know, there are Three tix, 1st row, 1st Mezzanine...

The two major problems is how much my buddy will want for them if we as a group can not attend...And, the bigger problem of how we would deliver them unto you.

I can not believe that my bud now tells me that he's scheduled for a long shift that night, after knowing for months that we had these tickets.

This is my closest, childhood friend and I can honestly state that his head is made of pure mush...What a dummy!

He might actually pass on this show, for no real good reason, and without me, he'd be subjected to nothing but pure, mindless matter, over and over again, like the dunce he is.

Him and his wife actually sat through Poison, Huey Lewis and Weird Al this Summer...Without me, he would have missed Rush, Yes, ELP, Heaven and Hell, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Circa, etc. all in the last few years.

This dude is pure frustration.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 22 2010, 04:00 PM)
He might actually pass on this show, for no real good reason, and without me, he'd be subjected to nothing but pure, mindless matter, over and over again, like the dunce he is.

Him and his wife actually sat through Poison, Huey Lewis and Weird Al this Summer...Without me, he would have missed Rush, Yes, ELP, Heaven and Hell, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Circa, etc. all in the last few years.

He's a damn fool!!!!!

Wish I could go. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2010, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 22 2010, 04:00 PM)

He's a damn fool!!!!!

Wish I could go. sad.gif

Oh, Sudsy, you have no idea how pissed I am...And, I began the whole 'progressively angrier' message thing on his cell this afternoon, and now he's not replying to me calls at all...lol...I made tons of fun of him for making all these corn-ball shows with his wife over the last two years, but the one show with actual artistic merit, he's gonna go and miss? I say, huh, son?!?! What the F is up with that, kid?

After a year of digesting it, I have finally decided what my thoughts were about "The Incident"..

Upon first listen, I admit, I was disappointed........ As a full album the album seemed far inferior than it's 3 predecessors... But why did I feel that? Why was that?

Then after many a listen, seeing some of the material live, I came to the realization that the 55 minute piece "The Incident" itself is a masterpiece, and the 4 (as I like to call them) "Bonus Tracks" are all very good as individual songs, they were great in fact........ So what was it that rubbed me so wrong about this album as a whole........ and I finally think I know what that is..

I really do not think the 4 extra tracks should have been part of the album...... I really do not.. They should have been released as a separate EP. The reason being is that since these 4 tracks are a part of "The Incident" (The album) that when you finish listening to "The Incidnet" (The single Piece of music) you don't have time to properly digest what you just listened to... before you dive headfirst into more music that has nothing to do stylistically, thematically, nor conceptually with The Incident as a piece of music.... Imagine how you would think about Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon if after "Eclipse" finished you heard "Welcome to the Machine", "Wish You Were Here" and "Pigs on the Wing" immediately afterward and was labeled all under the banner of "Dark Side of the Moon"...... That would not jive at all..... all the music is great, but having those extra songs as part of the album after a big conceptual piece takes away from both the concept piece as well as the bonus songs themselves..

The extra 4 tracks should not have fallen under the banner of "The Incident", and at the very least have been labeled "Bonus Tracks" on the extra disc, if not kept to their own "EP". I know it's a psychological thing, but that's what I think

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 22 2010, 06:47 PM)
Does anyone know if they will play anything from FOABP, Deadwing, and In Absentia. I don't mind hearing the Incident and the 90's stuff, but this is my first show and I'd like to hear some stuff from my favorite albums. Thanks

im guessing that since steven said they will do about 45 minutes to an hour of older material, then there is still about an hour left in the show for them to play some standards, or maybe even deeper cuts off of the newer albums.

so to answer your question...they'll probably play something from FOABP, Deadwing, and In Absentia.

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Sep 23 2010, 10:48 AM)
Is anyone here a member of the Porcupine Tree Forum? It seems to have died tody. sad.gif

Yeah, I came in here to ask the same exact thing. I was worried my account was suspended for some odd reason, but apparently it's a problem on their end. Hopefully it'll be back up and running soon....I always enjoy browsing their forum while at work!

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Sep 23 2010, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Imaginos @ Sep 23 2010, 10:48 AM)
Is anyone here a member of the Porcupine Tree Forum? It seems to have died tody.  sad.gif

Yeah, I came in here to ask the same exact thing. I was worried my account was suspended for some odd reason, but apparently it's a problem on their end. Hopefully it'll be back up and running soon....I always enjoy browsing their forum while at work!

yeah, i get the account suspended page too.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 23 2010, 09:27 AM)
Does anyone know if they will play anything from FOABP, Deadwing, and In Absentia. I don't mind hearing the Incident and the 90's stuff, but this is my first show and I'd like to hear some stuff from my favorite albums. Thanks

im guessing that since steven said they will do about 45 minutes to an hour of older material, then there is still about an hour left in the show for them to play some standards, or maybe even deeper cuts off of the newer albums.

so to answer your question...they'll probably play something from FOABP, Deadwing, and In Absentia.

I have some definite ideas to share on The Owl's last posting...Ya can't even stop me, or even slow my ass down from sharing my love and cerebral analyzing powers of deduction and dissection when it comes to this most, most awesome band, The Porcupine Trees...

But firstly, and foremostly, I want to issue my celebratory declaration that I AM IN like my man Flynt in terms of tomorrow night's rally rally rally BIG SHEW at Radio City Music Hall, New York City. All in, we're gonna win, check it out ya'll...

Things looked rather askew for my brutish crew, but everything has panned out, smoothed out evenly, and I am ready to go go go...SO SUPER PSYCHED UP for this now! All my ducks are in a row and accounted for...the T's are all crossed and the i's got all their fancy dots up top.

Is it true that Coheed and Cambria are to be the openers for this gig? Does that mean an extra two or three brews over at Heartland to kill the time until the real Big Boys take the stage? Me thinks so.

I need to find out who's going into the city early, where and when they plan on chillin' for a bit, maybe grabbing a lil' foodage, gettin' they drink on and such...

For whomever's meeting up for a chill session, I will relay to you who and what to keep yer eyes peeled for in terms of myself, my closest bud, and his nephew...the lineup we finally settled on for tomorrow's gig...So psyched up for this now...been listening to the band non-stop.

So, METALDAD, and the rest of you New Yorkas, tell us where ya gonna be and h-when?

AS FOR COLDFIRE YYZ, I think they've been posting the 'set lists' for this 2010 tour at various sites on the web...Maybe someone can direct you back about a dozen pages on this specific thread, where I asked the question of what could be expected in terms of a 'set list' for an upcoming PT gig...Someone definitely posted a recent set list, as well as directing me towards another resource on the web that posts such info...

I think that the majority of the set is going to be split fairly evenly between the '07 and '09 material, with possibly two, maybe three surprises chucked in there for good measure...The closing three song 'Encore' will be things from that, now classic, '96 to '05 period. I think you'll get a fair approximation of this guesstimate.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 23 2010, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 23 2010, 09:27 AM)

I have some definite ideas to share on The Owl's last posting...Ya can't even stop me, or even slow my ass down from sharing my love and cerebral analyzing powers of deduction and dissection when it comes to this most, most awesome band, The Porcupine Trees...

But firstly, and foremostly, I want to issue my celebratory declaration that I AM IN like my man Flynt in terms of tomorrow night's rally rally rally BIG SHEW at Radio City Music Hall, New York City. All in, we're gonna win, check it out ya'll...

Things looked rather askew for my brutish crew, but everything has panned out, smoothed out evenly, and I am ready to go go go...SO SUPER PSYCHED UP for this now! All my ducks are in a row and accounted for...the T's are all crossed and the i's got all their fancy dots up top.

Is it true that Coheed and Cambria are to be the openers for this gig? Does that mean an extra two or three brews over at Heartland to kill the time until the real Big Boys take the stage? Me thinks so.

I need to find out who's going into the city early, where and when they plan on chillin' for a bit, maybe grabbing a lil' foodage, gettin' they drink on and such...

For whomever's meeting up for a chill session, I will relay to you who and what to keep yer eyes peeled for in terms of myself, my closest bud, and his nephew...the lineup we finally settled on for tomorrow's gig...So psyched up for this now...been listening to the band non-stop.

So, METALDAD, and the rest of you New Yorkas, tell us where ya gonna be and h-when?

AS FOR COLDFIRE YYZ, I think they've been posting the 'set lists' for this 2010 tour at various sites on the web...Maybe someone can direct you back about a dozen pages on this specific thread, where I asked the question of what could be expected in terms of a 'set list' for an upcoming PT gig...Someone definitely posted a recent set list, as well as directing me towards another resource on the web that posts such info...

I think that the majority of the set is going to be split fairly evenly between the '07 and '09 material, with possibly two, maybe three surprises chucked in there for good measure...The closing three song 'Encore' will be things from that, now classic, '96 to '05 period. I think you'll get a fair approximation of this guesstimate.

The RCMH and RAH shows are special "An Evening with PT" shows, meaning NO opening bands and a longer, extended 3 hour show broken into 2 sets.

The second set (after a first set of The Incident complete) will consist of mostly songs from pre-IA, with a good 45 minutes or so of it being performed as a 4-piece band, reminiscent of the old days. I'm sure there will be a handful of IA-TI songs played, but SW has made it abundantly clear that this show is going to be a homage to the old-heads that have stuck around since the earlier days. Sources for this info include the official PT Twitter page (ptofficial) and various interviews with SW over the last few weeks.

Edited by marblesmike

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Sep 23 2010, 12:24 PM)
The RCMH and RAH shows are special "An Evening with PT" shows, meaning NO opening bands and a longer, extended 3 hour show broken into 2 sets.

The second set (after a first set of The Incident complete) will consist of mostly songs from pre-IA, with a good 45 minutes or so of it being performed as a 4-piece band, reminiscent of the old days. I'm sure there will be a handful of IA-TI songs played, but SW has made it abundantly clear that this show is going to be a homage to the old-heads that have stuck around since the earlier days. Sources for this info include the official PT Twitter page (ptofficial) and various interviews with SW over the last few weeks.

I believe ya, if this happens to be the info yer privy to...But, as their BIG NYC premiere night, I really doubt that they will touch upon anything before Signify...I really thought that they were going to 'film' the gig tomorrow night for a DVD release...But, even aside from that not being a factor in the decision for what they would and wouldn't play, I think that with a big NYC event like this, Wilson and Co. will try to be 'crowd pleasers' as best they can...They're going to give the audience what it wants, and we should get a good mix of things from '96 to today. All the best known tunes from each album should get a showing during a monstrous THREE HOUR SET!

AS per the Heartland Brewery idea, we seriously might need to consider a fall-back option, friends...I just spoke to other folks over at another site and they are thinking of the same place...So, if you extend that logic to everyone who's going to the show, those over at other fan sites, then we might have some serious overflow spillage to contend with...I don't personally remember how big the joint is...It might be large enough to cover a huge crowd...But, maybe someone can suggest the next, closest place to RCMH, and we can always use that place as Plan B. I don't want to get to Heartland all kinds of hungry and thirsty, only to be turned away...That won't kick of the festivities nicely a'tall.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 24 2010, 09:53 AM)
on my way to NYC for tonights show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif

Already, man? Shoot, I need to get myself in gear then...

I don't think we'll hit the LIRR until about four or so..I'll have to check the train times like now.

So, what was the final word on this?...They're recording 'audio' tonight, but not 'video' ?

Because, the last two shows I saw at RCMH, both Dream Theater and Heaven and Hell were both taped for DVD release...

It's a beautiful, old playhouse inside there...and a perfect venue to record a show for general release...I'd be very surprised if they didn't tape this, regardless of what the word on the street is.

I had something way funny happen when myself and the same buddy I attended the '07 H & H gig with were over at my house and watching the DVD of this event we'd seen together...

We had a pizza and some beer on the table and I had to PAUSE the DVD for some reason or another as I left the room...My friend was looking down at his food, or his cell or whatever and didn't notice anything until I had come back into the room...

We both saw it at the same time and bust out laughing...The DVD happened to be paused on a close-up of the face of some guy we went to High School with...Oh, we laughed heartily...robustly...Then, within the month, we tracked that very same guy down on the web and have been talking to him off and on ever since...Oh, what a joyous end.

Our new, old friend had no interest in tonight's gig...Doesn't know who the mighty Porcupine Tree even are...Maybe he's an alien...and I ain't talkin' 'bout someone done jumped the border and crost over if ya knowin' what I'm shayin'...Damn strange is what that is...Who doesn't now about the mighty PT in this technological day and age!

ALRIGHT, NOW down to brass tax, because I need to be hoppin' on this task of gettin' ready and onto a train heading a wees way West.

I WILL BE at Hearland Brewery tonight between the hour of 5 and 6...My name is CHRIS, and I will be wearing a BLACK HAT with only a NIKE SWISH on the front...I WILL BE the most fun you've had since the third damn grade...Let's get together, sit down, break some bread, down some suds and talk about this beautiful thing of wonder we are about to embark upon together.

Who's with me?