Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2009, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 22 2009, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2009, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 22 2009, 01:52 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 21 2009, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 21 2009, 11:02 PM)
Steevo, Sue... you cannot answer since I mentioned it in chat.....

Anyone wanna take a guess of what the middle section of "Time Flies" reminds me of?

around the 5 and 1/2 minute mark?

In The Flesh?

CLOSE............. Think a few tracks further down.

Time Flies is totally Dogs and Sheep, IMO.

Specifically the 5 minute - 6:30 minute mark... Those Loud guitar notes..........

any more more guesses? Common people no ones guessed it right yet... the answer to this question is still empty.

Many have tried to answer this question but so far everybody is just spaceing out.

It has got to be In the Flesh. It is a bit similar to Waiting for the Worms.

I put the answer in my post............ pay attention to the BOLD words.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2009, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2009, 12:43 PM)

Anyone wanna take a guess of what the middle section of "Time Flies" reminds me of?

In The Flesh?

Specifically the 5 minute - 6:30 minute mark... Those Loud guitar notes..........

any more more guesses? Common people no ones guessed it right yet... the answer to this question is still empty.

Many have tried to answer this question but so far everybody is just spaceing out.

Oh, my god. The answer's right there!!!! huh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Yeah, he made it pretty easy there laugh.gif

Cleveland show at the House of Blues...small venue. I cannot believe that I was able to see PT there at such a nice place. The sound from Stage Left was excellent...very powerful music. I wish I could have worked my way to the front, but that did not seem like a cool idea as the people were all very mellow...until the music happened. Excellent experience for my first show. I met alot of nice people there. Josh from Cleveland even bought me a beer! A fair number of Rush T-shirts in attendance. I hope they come to the Detroit area on the next leg. 2.gif

still growing on me.......still digging the acoustic guitar in time flies. digging the jam too. it took me a while to realize how kick ass the drumming is during the jam.

Some of the lyrics seem subpar but maybe i am just not getting it??

Given time, i'll fix the roof

given cash, i speak the truth

is that lame or does that mean that both of these events will never happen?

You gotta love Your Unpleasant Family too!

Edited by tangy

Still growing on me too. I had to put it down for a few days but upon a relisten this morning, I definitely was into it more.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 23 2009, 12:06 PM)
Still growing on me too. I had to put it down for a few days but upon a relisten this morning, I definitely was into it more.

Yeah, its a grower. Its a lot to digest and lot of whats cool is kinda subtle IMO. I guess the music might be a little more scaled back or simplistic than previous efforts but not by much. I listened to this disc taking a 2 hour drive through misty rainy mountains and the mood was just right.

put your foot on the pedal boy!

setlist from chicago.

setlist and comments copied from a post over at the portnoy forum.

The Incidient [Disc 1] The sound and balance were utter perfection!! This song cycle RAWKS live!!!! Absolutely incredible!!!

(10 minute intermission)

Start of Something Beautiful

Russia on Ice

Middle of Anesthetize

Remember Me Lover (Steven said this was the premiere of this song, and it was GREAT live!)

Strip the Soul

Way Out of Here

Encore:

Sound of Muzak

Trains

I finally got "The Incident" today. I've only listened to it once, I liked it, but it didn't blow me away like "FOABP", "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" did at first listen... But it will most likely grow on me.

So far "Bonnie The Cat" is my favorite track, killer bass lines and awesome drumming!

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 23 2009, 12:21 PM)
setlist from chicago.

setlist and comments copied from a post over at the portnoy forum.

The Incidient [Disc 1] The sound and balance were utter perfection!! This song cycle RAWKS live!!!! Absolutely incredible!!!
(10 minute intermission)
Start of Something Beautiful
Russia on Ice
Middle of Anesthetize
Remember Me Lover (Steven said this was the premiere of this song, and it was GREAT live!)
Strip the Soul
Way Out of Here
Encore:
Sound of Muzak
Trains

awesome set!!

although id rather see Buying New Soul than Russia On Ice

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 22 2009, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 22 2009, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 22 2009, 12:43 PM)

In The Flesh?

Oh, my god. The answer's right there!!!! huh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Yeah, he made it pretty easy there laugh.gif

It sounds nothing like Empty Spaces to me. ph34r.gif

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 25 2009, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2009, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 25 2009, 08:10 AM)
Hey PT fans! How is 'Nil Recurring'? That's the only other one there is in HMV here apart from The Incident. Worth getting? smile.gif

YES! It's excellent. Get it.

Definitely yes.gif

In that case, another trip to HMV is in order on Monday! trink39.gif

Okay, so I just had to post this:

I was looking at the Porcupine Tree Wikipedia page, to see the track listing on Deadwing. I was at the NYC show last night, and am curious what songs are on what albums.

So anyway, beneath the track listing I caught sight of this notice, which earned even more of my respect of this band, and immediately brought to mind the mastering debacle that was Vapor Trails.

Loudness war

In a comment on the loudness war, Steven Wilson mentioned how he considered placing a message on record sleeves that reads as follows: "Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob." Subsequent releases Fear of a Blank Planet and Nil Recurring are mastered at even lower levels, preserving more of their original dynamic range[1].
Edited by Pags

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 25 2009, 10:18 AM)
Okay, so I just had to post this:

I was looking at the Porcupine Tree Wikipedia page, to see the track listing on Deadwing.  I was at the NYC show last night, and am curious what songs are on what albums.

So anyway, beneath the track listing I caught sight of this notice, which earned even more of my respect of this band, and immediately brought to mind the mastering debacle that was Vapor Trails.

Loudness war

In a comment on the loudness war, Steven Wilson mentioned how he considered placing a message on record sleeves that reads as follows: "Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob." Subsequent releases Fear of a Blank Planet and Nil Recurring are mastered at even lower levels, preserving more of their original dynamic range[1].

This is the exact reason I would love to see Wilson work on the next

Rush disc.

Take Care

So, I went to the NYC show last night, along with Pags. It was general admission, and we ended up on the floor about five rows back, in front of Colin and Gavin. Best spot in the house, I'd say. They are ridiculously good live. We know that from the DVD and other clips, but it's even better being there. Colin's bass rig sounds insane.

I hadn't bought or heard the new album yet (except for a little of "Time Flies"), so this was the first time I heard the "Incident" tracks. The 55-minute epic has a few what I would call slow spots where I thought it dragged a bit, but overall I really liked it, and need to get the CD so I can absorb it better. "Remember Me Lover" and "Russia On Ice" were the other new songs played in the second set.

They also pulled out "Mother and Child Divided," which was a very nice surprise. It was the show closer, replacing "Way Out Of Here," which I was really looking forward to seeing, but that's okay. The encore was "Muzak" and "Trains."

The only complaint I have was the light show. It was very underwhelming and dark. Nothing like what we saw on the "Arriving" DVD. I know lighting is usually amped up when filming a concert video, but still...

Also ran into another TRFer, an old-school original member named BB&B, whom I met at the Rush R30 Scranton show way back when. That was another nice surprise, and we all hung out together the whole night. Cool stuff! (BB&B, could you post the set list? I'm forgetting a song or two.)

Kings X opened. First time seeing them live, and they are SUCH a cool band. You can't help but smile the entire time they're on. I wouldn't have minded them playing longer than 45 minutes, and they were very well received. Another band I need to get into more.

Steven mentioned that PT might be coming around again early next year. I think I'll be seeing them again.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 25 2009, 11:47 AM)
I talked to Pags and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 last night. They are great people. I had an excellent time with them. I had trouble taking pictures, security staff doesn't allow it. I took one picture each of CE, GH, and SW. I have to post them later today. I have to go to an interview at 12:30 PM today.

2009-09-24 - Porcupine Tree @ Terminal 5 in New York, NY

I'll edit this post with some PT pictures later today, please check back if interested.

Cool! I mentioned you in my post above. Also, if you remember it, could you post the setlist? 1022.gif