Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 5 2009, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 5 2009, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 5 2009, 10:19 AM)
here ya go:

http://www.theomegaorder.com/

Thanks, tangy. smile.gif

I can't wait for this. Pre-ordered the over-indulgent, over-priced limited edition. biggrin.gif

I'm a sucker, what can I say?

trink39.gif

wow, you went for the limited edition! very nice indeed.

Yeah. No pedicures for a month. Worth every cent.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 8 2009, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 7 2009, 11:48 PM)
First time listening tonight...kinda reminds me of Radiohead but thats no surprise I guess.

you must be listening to something early then......

Up The Downstair?

Hey Wilderness...I'm going through FOABP first like you suggested. Some of his vox style and their ambient side reminds me a little of Radiohead that's all. Obviously theres much more to them. I'll try and get to that other album after this hopefully. Which tracks off this album really do it for you? I had no idea they've been going that long either!! ohmy.gif

Has anyone listened to "Time Flies" yet? I was able to check it out. If SW doesn't throw out a thanks to Pink Floyd, I will not be happy. It has very distinct moments hearkening of "Dogs" and "Sheep".

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 10 2009, 11:47 AM)
Has anyone listened to "Time Flies" yet? I was able to check it out. If SW doesn't throw out a thanks to Pink Floyd, I will not be happy. It has very distinct moments hearkening of "Dogs" and "Sheep".

Well has he ever because early PT is shameless in its PF inspirations?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 10 2009, 12:20 PM)

Wilson has on several occassions made clear the influence Pink Floyd has had on his music. He's remarked that they were in fact one of the earliest musical impressions he can remember.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 8 2009, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 8 2009, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 7 2009, 11:48 PM)
First time listening tonight...kinda reminds me of Radiohead but thats no surprise I guess.

you must be listening to something early then......

Up The Downstair?

Hey Wilderness...I'm going through FOABP first like you suggested. Some of his vox style and their ambient side reminds me a little of Radiohead that's all. Obviously theres much more to them. I'll try and get to that other album after this hopefully. Which tracks off this album really do it for you? I had no idea they've been going that long either!! ohmy.gif

yeah i guess youre right.....but the Radiohead influence isnt as clear on FOABP as the early stuff.

the best tracks are:

1. Anesthetize

2. Sentimental

3. Way Out Of Here

those do it for me on that album.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 10 2009, 01:42 PM)

Wilson has on several occassions made clear the influence Pink Floyd has had on his music. He's remarked that they were in fact one of the earliest musical impressions he can remember.

Have you guys heard "Time Flies" yet?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 10 2009, 03:00 PM)

Yes. I have. It's great. And, yes... there is a definite Floyd sound to it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 10 2009, 02:00 PM)

Where would you find it?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 10 2009, 03:10 PM)
Haven't been this pumped for any new album since Snakes. 1022.gif

I totally agree with you!

Holy Shit! On that note I just visited the Tree Site and had to give in and purchase that limited deluxe box set for $106 USD!!!

IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!

Only 1000 made!!!!!

I can't wait until the 15th! Then I get Tree in SF on the 18th!

Timing is everything!!!

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 10 2009, 04:57 PM)

Where would you find it?

Porcupine Tree myspace page

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 10 2009, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 10 2009, 03:10 PM)
Haven't been this pumped for any new album since Snakes.  1022.gif

I totally agree with you!

Holy Shit! On that note I just visited the Tree Site and had to give in and purchase that limited deluxe box set for $106 USD!!!

IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!

Only 1000 made!!!!!

I can't wait until the 15th! Then I get Tree in SF on the 18th!

Timing is everything!!!

Hey, Earl. I gave in, too. smile.gif

For that price, I expect Steven Wilson himself, dressed in a delivery man uniform, at my door to hand it to me in person. Seriously, is that too much to ask?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 10 2009, 05:06 PM)

Where would you find it?

Thanks! I'd heard the medley there (jizz-in-my-pants moment) but not the individual song. trink39.gif

EDIT: I couldn't find it on there, just an interview about it.

Edited by priest_of_syrinx

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 10 2009, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 11 2009, 01:49 PM)
Thanks! I'd heard the medley there (jizz-in-my-pants moment) but not the individual song. trink39.gif

So I take it you like these guys somewhat laugh.gif

laugh.gif 'Twas an exaggeration, but yeah, other than Rush, they're my favorite band.

Don't worry, I'm straight... I just really like music. laugh.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 10 2009, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 10 2009, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 11 2009, 01:49 PM)

So I take it you like these guys somewhat laugh.gif

laugh.gif 'Twas an exaggeration, but yeah, other than Rush, they're my favorite band.

Don't worry, I'm straight... I just really like music. laugh.gif

O M G

my top two are Rush followed by Porcupine Tree too!!

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 10 2009, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 10 2009, 05:06 PM)

Where would you find it?

EDIT: I couldn't find it on there, just an interview about it.

SW talks about it here:

Link

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 11 2009, 11:44 AM)
Hey, I'm new to PT. Haven't heard any of their stuff, but it looks like they have a lot of fans on this board. Sound like a good prog group. Any suggestions for starting albums? smile.gif

In Absentia, Deadwing, then Fear of a Blank Planet are the best ones to start with. Then, go backwards through their discography from In Absentia. That's my suggestion, anyway. smile.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 11 2009, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 11 2009, 11:44 AM)
Hey, I'm new to PT. Haven't heard any of their stuff, but it looks like they have a lot of fans on this board. Sound like a good prog group. Any suggestions for starting albums? smile.gif

In Absentia, Deadwing, then Fear of a Blank Planet are the best ones to start with. Then, go backwards through their discography from In Absentia. That's my suggestion, anyway. smile.gif

Seconded

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 10 2009, 10:47 AM)

At one of the listening sessions (can't remember which) he did say that Time Flies was a nod to Pink Floyd.

I'm holding out on that 106$ package, if I'm going to spend that much on the album I'm going to get the nice vinyl version instead.