Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:05 AM)
I have my floor seats for The Warfield on September 18th.
I had no idea about "The Instinct" until I saw this on TRF.

Wow!  The Rush Forum really is good to have around at your fingertips.

I always thought to myself...

"How the hell will Steven Wilson and Co put out a better record than In Absentia?"

Then I said to myself a few years later:

"How the hell will Steven Wilson and Co put out a better record than DEADWING?"

"How the fokk will Porcupine Tree ever top FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET?"

Will "The Incident" be better?

Who knows....... for the Shadow knows............

By the way, "SIX DEGREES" by Wet Dream Theater SUCKS!!!

Their worst album by far. JMO

Glad that band was able to rebound, although they need to find a new lead singer.  rofl3.gif

Maybe they can surgically implant Myung's hair on James LaBrie's scalp.  062802puke_prv.gif

Good questions, but I don't think either Deadwing or FOABP topped In Absentia. In fact, I like them progressively less....Nil Recurring least of all...(though I love them all).

Quite honestly, I'm not sold on this album-length 55-minute epic. I'm notoriously against these humongous songs anyhow. Chances are they'll read as a number of different songs anyhow...so why not just give them different titles? If they're all related, thematically, then it's a concept album. If you've one song with six differently named sections, for instance, IMO you have six songs. So hopefully it'll be like that. Otherwise I think if it's 55 uninterrupted minutes of continuous playing, it runs the great risk of being a tiresome chore.

You didn't like Nil Recurring? I love it. Cheating the Polygraph is brilliant!

I got Insurgentes this weekend, and I'm really impressed. No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun blows me away. Incredible.

Also, I joined the club thingy from the PT website so when they add Dallas to the tour (they'd better, or I'll be PISSED!!!!), I'll have a better chance at the good seats. I was thinking if they don't come to Dallas, I want my damn $27 back. But, I just got an email telling me that Burning Shed has mailed my live CD from the FoaBP tour. So, cool.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 10:54 AM)

"How the hell will Steven Wilson and Co put out a better record than In Absentia?"

Glad that band was able to rebound, although they need to find a new lead singer.  rofl3.gif

Maybe they can surgically implant Myung's hair on James LaBrie's scalp.  062802puke_prv.gif

Good questions, but I don't think either Deadwing or FOABP topped In Absentia. In fact, I like them progressively less....Nil Recurring least of all...(though I love them all).

Quite honestly, I'm not sold on this album-length 55-minute epic. I'm notoriously against these humongous songs anyhow. Chances are they'll read as a number of different songs anyhow...so why not just give them different titles? If they're all related, thematically, then it's a concept album. If you've one song with six differently named sections, for instance, IMO you have six songs. So hopefully it'll be like that. Otherwise I think if it's 55 uninterrupted minutes of continuous playing, it runs the great risk of being a tiresome chore.

I have to agree to an extent with the 55-min epic. It could get tiresome from a listening standpoint.

While I do like the longer songs PT has put out, some of the shorter songs are brilliant. Even if stapled together, a longer song comprised of many smaller ones, doesn't constitute a better song. 6DOIT proves that. The key is in the segue of the songs or flow of the pieces into one another. I would say Supper's Ready is the best example of this.

I do have full confidence that SW and crew can accomplish it and I hope it does.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 02:05 AM)

Glad that band was able to rebound, although they need to find a new lead singer. rofl3.gif

Maybe they can surgically implant Myung's hair on James LaBrie's scalp. 062802puke_prv.gif

wow

please back away from the crack pipe

cool10.gif

all this posting has gone to your brain

wink.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 10:10 AM)

You must have missed this part:

In fact, I like them progressively less....Nil Recurring least of all...(though I love them all).
Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 08:10 AM)

I got Insurgentes this weekend, and I'm really impressed. No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun blows me away. Incredible.

Also, I joined the club thingy from the PT website so when they add Dallas to the tour (they'd better, or I'll be PISSED!!!!), I'll have a better chance at the good seats. I was thinking if they don't come to Dallas, I want my damn $27 back. But, I just got an email telling me that Burning Shed has mailed my live CD from the FoaBP tour. So, cool.

Sorry Sue for the late night brain fart!!

I LOVED NIL!!!

I guess I overlooked that brilliant ep.

For my ears it seems that Porcupine Tree can do no wrong.

Let's hope this new "Epic" album will keep everybody happy.

With Gavin Harrison on the drums how can PT have a bad record?

I'm sure it's already written on here, but it's great to see Gavin win BEST PROGRESSIVE DRUMMER again in Modern Drummer for three consecutive years.

Awesome!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2009, 11:09 AM)

cool10.gif

wink.gif

HAHA!!

You know I like to stir the pot Metaldad, not smoke it!

I like every Dream Theater record except for "Six Degrees."

No matter how many times I try to get into it, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Nothing like hijacking the PT thread to talk about DT.

Their new album looks exciting too. Hopefully it sounds exciting as well.

Earl

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 07:54 AM)

I know I sound like a hypocrite since I just said that I can't get into DT's "Six Degrees." Talk about a long song. Geez.

But I'm all for the long song writing when it comes to PT. I am sure you loved "Anethesize." 17+ minutes of pure ear candy joy. That Alex Lifeson solo was fantastic too.

If this new album has three "Anethesize" songs then hey I'm all for it.

1022.gif

I'm going stand over there and wait for things to calm down.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:20 PM)

cool10.gif

wink.gif

HAHA!!

No matter how many times I try to get into it, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Earl

the glass prison, misunderstood and the title song are great tunes. listen agian my friend

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2009, 11:27 AM)

cool10.gif

wink.gif

HAHA!!

Earl

the glass prison, misunderstood and the title song are great tunes. listen agian my friend

1022.gif

One thing about this Forum is that you guys remotivate me to go back and listen to albums that I have that collect dust.

I will put on "Six Degrees" tonight and give it yet another shot!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 01:12 PM)

In fact, I like them progressively less....Nil Recurring least of all...(though I love them all).

Well, I'm sorry. I know better than to post and work at the same time.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:16 PM)

I LOVED NIL!!!

I'm sure it's already written on here, but it's great to see Gavin win BEST PROGRESSIVE DRUMMER again in Modern Drummer for three consecutive years.

Awesome!

I'm close to obsessed with this band right now. If you don't already have it, you really need to get We Lost the Skyline, too.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:16 PM)

I LOVED NIL!!!

Awesome!

I'm close to obsessed with this band right now. If you don't already have it, you really need to get We Lost the Skyline, too.

Sue!

I hate Mondays as you can tell!

I'm really dropping the ball here!

I bought "We Lost The Skyline" before it came out so my copies came with that cool promo poster.

I love that acoustic show!!

I'll tell you how much I love Porcupine Tree.

I have told my wife many times that when I die, I want YYZ and "Stars Die" to be played at my funeral.

I can't wait for this new record!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 15 2009, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2009, 11:27 AM)

cool10.gif

wink.gif

HAHA!!

Earl

1022.gif

One thing about this Forum is that you guys remotivate me to go back and listen to albums that I have that collect dust.

I will put on "Six Degrees" tonight and give it yet another shot!

trink39.gif

I only brought the notion of "Six Degrees" in this thread because that's how Im predicting the new PT album will be released...

I think the 55 minute epic, will be divided up into smaller sections, much like Six Degrees was, then the other disc is just the other stuff...

I did not try to instigate a DT debate in the PT thread.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 01:49 PM)

I have the same problem, believe me. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 12:33 PM)

Ditto.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 02:33 PM)

Hey, I'm just happy to have people around who know what the hell I'm talking about. Try bringing up Porcupine Tree in a conversation around the cubicle farm sometime. You'd get a lot of this confused13.gif and a lot of this huh.gif .

"What on earth is a porcupine tree?"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2009, 02:33 PM)

Hey, I'm just happy to have people around who know what the hell I'm talking about. Try bringing up Porcupine Tree in a conversation around the cubicle farm sometime. You'd get a lot of this confused13.gif and a lot of this huh.gif .

laugh.gif

That's funny Sue and I can relate.

I remember years ago when I got into PT that I told my dad about this awesome band.

He though the name of the band was "Porcupine Pig."

It is interesting to note and I've been pumping this band down all of my friend's throats and ears over the years and they just seem to trip out over the band's name.

Who? A What?

Rush will always be my number one band until I die but I will confess that Porcupine Tree has climbed up to number two of all time since "Deadwing."

I've seen PT three times and it bums me out that I missed them with OPETH.

So to those of you on here who saw Porcupine Tree with the band "3" opening, what do you guys think of Joey Eppard's band?

I love them. Do you have their last record, "THE END IS BEGUN?" Brilliant!

I saw 3 open for the Scorpions up in Konocti Harbor. A strange combination but they were great. That was the same show where the Scorpions drummer and bassist did YYZ!

1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 03:42 PM)
Hey, I'm just happy to have people around who know what the hell I'm talking about. Try bringing up Porcupine Tree in a conversation around the cubicle farm sometime. You'd get a lot of this  confused13.gif  and a lot of this  huh.gif .

laugh.gif

Cubicle farm! laugh.gif I love it!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2009, 04:21 PM)
Hey, I'm just happy to have people around who know what the hell I'm talking about. Try bringing up Porcupine Tree in a conversation around the cubicle farm sometime. You'd get a lot of this  confused13.gif  and a lot of this  huh.gif .

laugh.gif

laugh.gif Rows upon rows of cubicles. And not a single PT fan occupies any of them but mine. I actually sat through a 30 minute conversation about Pink (and I don't mean Floyd) last Friday. Geekdom can be a lonely existence. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 15 2009, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2009, 04:21 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif Rows upon rows of cubicles. And not a single PT fan occupies any of them but mine. I actually sat through a 30 minute conversation about Pink (and I don't mean Floyd) last Friday. Geekdom can be a lonely existence. sad.gif

Pink, the artist, I take it. It must have been sheer hell.