What's your favourite whisky?

Anaon

QUOTE (Gov @ Mar 19 2008, 11:37 PM)
I really like Islay stuff. Laphroaig and Ardbeg. I have not yet had Lagavulin 16 and have been tempted to buy a bottle. It is about $76 dollars versus $38 dollars for Laphroaig. Is Lagavulin worth the almost $40 difference?

Yes, Laphraoig comes across as a croquet-playing-nancy compared to the behemoth that is Lagavullin. It's got a really strong, medicinal, almost TCPish taste to it. It's stunning.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 20 2008, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Gov @ Mar 19 2008, 11:37 PM)
I really like Islay stuff.  Laphroaig and Ardbeg.  I have not yet had Lagavulin 16 and have been tempted to buy a bottle.  It is about $76 dollars versus $38 dollars for Laphroaig.  Is Lagavulin worth the almost $40 difference?

Yes, Laphraoig comes across as a croquet-playing-nancy compared to the behemoth that is Lagavullin. It's got a really strong, medicinal, almost TCPish taste to it. It's stunning.

Good sometimes, but very peaty.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Mar 21 2008, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 21 2008, 07:17 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 20 2008, 03:43 PM)
crown royal trink38.gif

yes.gif

that's my choice too!

yes.gif Best ever. Black Bush is my #2.

Crown Royal over Black Bush??????? confused13.gif

Gah -- I need to move somewhere with cheaper whisky! My favorites are Lagavulin and Laphroaig but these are in the $60 range where I live. For drinkable whisky under $50 I go for Bowmore Legend or 12.

Bowmore Legend is an excellent value for all you fans of peat and iodine (like me!). Have you tried the newer bottling? It has the new label and the bottle is more square shouldered than round. I think Bowmore is using older whisky in this now, it is great!

QUOTE (Rand @ Mar 18 2008, 04:41 PM)
The price of Scotch varies wildly depending on what state you buy it in. Oregon and Washington put a 50% surcharge on Scotch compared to California. So price aside I like the Glen Morangie 12 Port Wood Finish.
Dalmore is really nice too.

Here in Nevada we can get it in bulk size at Costco for pretty cheap. biggrin.gif

Having lived in this state for so many years it feels strange when I go back to Washington State with the whole state liquor store system.

I've never been much of a fan of American bourbon whiskeys, I actually like Canadian blends. R&R or Crown Royal is fine. I actually like Yukon Jack and Southern Comfort quite a bit.

QUOTE (earl the pearl @ May 6 2008, 02:22 PM)
didn't anyone mention MacAllan?? (didn't read every post).

the 12 year is very good, if fact, I'm just about out.

MacAllan? Never heard of it.

The Macallan 12 is a good whisky , but there are much better out there that are cheaper and have a similar taste profile. If you like The Macallan 12, try The Dalmore 12. It is a better whisky and is about $14 cheaper. Also, Glenfarcias and Aberlour

There are some good inexpensive single-malt scotches out there, you just have to look for them. I was at a restaurant once and they had a single malt I'd never tried before so I asked for a glass. I really liked it and during the meal the bartender walked over and asked how I was enjoying it. I said it was really good and comparable to a high-end single malt. He said they'd just gotten it that day and was only $18.00 a bottle! I was shocked. He told me that the only reason the scotch was so inexpensive is that it's not well known in the states.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name as it was four years ago and I haven't gone back to that restaurant because I moved soon after and it's now an hour away. I do remember that it had a predominantly red label. I'm sure if you ask your liquor store owner he or she could help you find it.