Best book(s) you read last year?

GeddyRulz

I read quite a lot in 2007, particularly in the last six months. What were your favorites in 2007?

For me, it was "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I also really enjoyed the populist detective fiction of Dennis Lehane, especially "Mystic River." I read all seven of his books in '07.

Roadshow 1022.gif

EDIT: Also adding Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan. It's different from her other novels but her writing still amazes me.

Other than that, I read books for school which, trust me, no one wants to read.

Edited by iluvgeddy05

'In Harm's Way' by Douglas Stanton and 'Lone Survivor' by Marcus Luttrell.

Finding out why Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre are considered classics. yes.gif

And in the purely fun category? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows complete with the midnight release party we went to at the bookstore, and reading the whole book in less than a day. smile.gif

SKYDOG- the duane allman story. great book. another talent gone waaay to soon trink38.gif

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

A Fortunate Life by A. B. Facey

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

Read a lot more than these, but these were my favorite this year.

Love this list! Am going to read some of these that others have mentioned - they look good!

I read a lot in 2007, too. Oh man, it's so hard to pick favorites, especially since they all start to run together after a while... but the ones that pop right into my head are...

Villette, Charlotte Bronte

Roadshow/Traveling Music/Ghost Rider, Neil Peart

The Rise of Silas Lapham, William Dean Howells

The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

I really enjoyed each and every book I read in 2007... except for maybe E.M. Forester's A Room With A View. I thought it was a little disappointing confused13.gif

Edited by Jen Sawyer

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 11 2008, 10:27 AM)

I just finished "Lone Survivor". That was a great book...made me cry in a couple of places.

QUOTE (MrHands @ Jan 11 2008, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 11 2008, 10:27 AM)

I just finished "Lone Survivor". That was a great book...made me cry in a couple of places.

Oh, same here! yes.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 12 2008, 02:01 PM)
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. It might be my favorite book I've ever read. Kind of a bold statement, but it's really freaking good.

Chuck has quite the cult following. I had a co-worker who swears by his books, his favorite (at the time) being "Choke." (For the uninformed, this is the author who wrote "Fight Club" - from which the movie was made.)

Maybe I'll give Chuck a try. Supposedly dark and strange, though... don't know if I can handle that.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jan 12 2008, 10:20 PM)
I also reread Catch-22, which I do frequently, and it still stays at the top.

Great recommendation. I always meant to read that. Maybe I'll make it my next read.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 12 2008, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 12 2008, 02:01 PM)
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. It might be my favorite book I've ever read. Kind of a bold statement, but it's really freaking good.

Chuck has quite the cult following. I had a co-worker who swears by his books, his favorite (at the time) being "Choke." (For the uninformed, this is the author who wrote "Fight Club" - from which the movie was made.)

Maybe I'll give Chuck a try. Supposedly dark and strange, though... don't know if I can handle that.

I wouldn't recommend every one of his books to people even though I like them all. Haunted, for example.....I loved it, but the first story in it almost made me sick. I had to picture it in my head with cheesy b-movie effects in mind just to get through it. I couldn't be the one to do that to someone else. laugh.gif

Loeb and Sale's Batman: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

So what if I read comic books still... tongue.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 15 2008, 04:34 AM)
Loeb and Sale's Batman: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
So what if I read comic books still...  tongue.gif

I'm 43 and I still read a few comic books when they are released in a single volume. I really like 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and I have all three of them. I still can't believe what Hyde did to Griffin in volume 2. Not that he didn't deserve it, but it was still pretty horrible.

I've heard good things about 'The Long Halloween' and I'd like to read it myself. Has it been released in a single volume yet?

Also, I saw 'Gotham By Gaslight' at the bookstore the other day and I only had a couple of seconds to flip through it because we were late meeting some people, but it looked pretty cool. Would you recommend it?

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 13 2008, 05:49 PM)

Great recommendation. I always meant to read that. Maybe I'll make it my next read.

It's a classic, I read it about 20 years ago now ph34r.gif I should read it again sometime, all I can remember about it is that it was very funny. I liked the guy who thought he could prolong his lifespan through cultivating boredom laugh.gif

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Jan 12 2008, 12:11 AM)
Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.

Crap film, great book yes.gif

It's difficult to put into a movie what's going on in someone's head and that for me was the highlight of the book.

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 18 2008, 03:27 PM)

It's a classic, I read it about 20 years ago now ph34r.gif I should read it again sometime, all I can remember about it is that it was very funny. I liked the guy who thought he could prolong his lifespan through cultivating boredom laugh.gif

I got it from the library on TG's recommendation. So far I've only read the Introduction to the edition I got.

I haven't finished anything in a couple months; keep putting everything down in favor of something else. Already I'm thinking of dropping "Catch-22" and going back to "Atonement."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 18 2008, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 18 2008, 03:27 PM)

I got it from the library on TG's recommendation. So far I've only read the Introduction to the edition I got.

I haven't finished anything in a couple months; keep putting everything down in favor of something else. Already I'm thinking of dropping "Catch-22" and going back to "Atonement."

I hate it when that happens, now I try not to put a book down once I first start it.

I have a few books that I started and some got half way through, but I know I'll have to start them again from the begining one day, which seems such a waste of time laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 18 2008, 09:14 PM)
Duddits. 1022.gif

Duddits rocks yes.gif