Juno

rushgoober

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 30 2008, 02:41 PM)
My review (with spoilers ahead):

For one thing, I need to stop seeing movies that are very hyped up because I don't end up enjoying them as much. Juno was good, but it wasn't the greatness I expected.

Couple things:

I DID think Mark (Jason Bateman) WAS creepy. The scene where they are dancing in his music room set that vibe completely; it was more than just a missed life. I feel he was looking for something else in Juno whether he was aware of it or not. And when he left his wife, I really didn't agree with that. Dude, don't agree to have adopt a baby with your wife if you don't want to. In the first meeting of Juno and the parents, I knew right away he wasn't into it when Juno asked if he wanted to be a daddy just by the tone in his voice answering.

Also, seeing as sarcastic and witty Juno is, I really can't see how she would be fooled by the perfect-on-the-outside family that Vanessa and Mark were. I could see Juno's character in real life thinking people in that sort of environment as one's she would never want to associate herself with. And I get that she wanted to substitute her own imperfect life with their seeimingly perfect life, but something didn't tie up there.

So overal it was good, 3/5 stars for me. Again, perhaps if I had seen it before hearing HOW GREATTTT it was, I would go in with a clearer mind. Oh well. I will say, GREAT acting on all parts.

goodpost.gif I could not have written a better review myself.

I think I might have enjoyed it better if I hadn't heard how wonderful it was. The only thing that I really didn't like was Jason Bateman's character. I don't know why they had to put that in the movie. There was plenty of drama and story-line with the pregnant teen giving her baby up for adoption without the stuff between Bateman and Garner.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 30 2008, 08:16 PM)
Next time see the movie sooner and you won't have such outlandishly high expectations. tongue.gif

I guess so!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 30 2008, 03:41 PM)
I DID think Mark (Jason Bateman) WAS creepy. The scene where they are dancing in his music room set that vibe completely; it was more than just a missed life. I feel he was looking for something else in Juno whether he was aware of it or not. And when he left his wife, I really didn't agree with that. Dude, don't agree to have adopt a baby with your wife if you don't want to. In the first meeting of Juno and the parents, I knew right away he wasn't into it when Juno asked if he wanted to be a daddy just by the tone in his voice answering.

There was nothing creepy about him. He saw something in Juno that he didn't see in his current wife. It was obvious that both he and his wife were totally mismatched. He just shared a commonality with Juno. What is creepy about that?

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 30 2008, 07:02 PM)
The only thing that I really didn't like was Jason Bateman's character. I don't know why they had to put that in the movie.

It was a filler. Without "that" story the movie would have not stood on it's own two feet.

Juno? I loved that movie! can't believe I didn't see that thread earlier!!

That was a really good movie, the story was great, and so was the acting.

Looking forward to the dvd

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 3 2008, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 30 2008, 03:41 PM)
I DID think Mark (Jason Bateman) WAS creepy.  The scene where they are dancing in his music room set that vibe completely; it was more than just a missed life.  I feel he was looking for something else in Juno whether he was aware of it or not.  And when he left his wife, I really didn't agree with that.  Dude, don't agree to have adopt a baby with your wife if you don't want to.  In the first meeting of Juno and the parents, I knew right away he wasn't into it when Juno asked if he wanted to be a daddy just by the tone in his voice answering. 

There was nothing creepy about him. He saw something in Juno that he didn't see in his current wife. It was obvious that both he and his wife were totally mismatched. He just shared a commonality with Juno. What is creepy about that?

He's not creepy until he starts dancing with her in the studio --mainly cuz she's 16. smilies-8579.png

Edited by iluvgeddy05

What I loved about this film was that all the characters had serious flaws on some level, yet all of them were still likeable. No one person bore the brunt of being the stereotypical "dad" or "creep" or whatever. That includes Jason Bateman's character who starts to go down an unfortunate path...and while I've not been there myself, I can see where that perspective comes from. (Lest we forget Kevin Spacey's wanderlust in American Beauty...which was much creepier and pointed). It wasn't just weird sicko seeking creep-out sex with a teenager, but a guy who was still screwed up with his priorities and had nothing in common with his wife. Juno became someone for him to identify with because he was still a stunted teen himself...with dellusions of music stardom. Hell, I KNOW couples like that!! biggrin.gif If you're over 22, you just might too. wink.gif Or you will. That doesn't make his come on ok, but that's a real guy and despite his near-actions, I can empathize. Thank God Hollywood didn't have this film to broadstroke and stereotype all over the place.

I guess I just appreciated this slice of real life...with characters I can identify around me. Good people with real issues. That's the movie's greatest achievement. It's not a grandstand for making choices or responsibility....it's about insight into what it's like to LIVE.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 5 2008, 03:20 PM)
(Lest we forget Kevin Spacey's wanderlust in American Beauty...which was much creepier and pointed)

Don't think that was creepy either. Lester Burnham was obviously going through a mid-life crisis plus that chick, although young, was undoubtedly hot. It's one thing to fantasize but it's another thing to take action on the fantasy. Lester caught himself when he was about to have sex with her and realized she was just a child.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 5 2008, 04:04 PM)
(Lest we forget Kevin Spacey's wanderlust in American Beauty...which was much creepier and pointed)

Don't think that was creepy either. Lester Burnham was obviously going through a mid-life crisis plus that chick, although young, was undoubtedly hot. It's one thing to fantasize but it's another thing to take action on the fantasy. Lester caught himself when he was about to have sex with her and realized she was just a child.

Oh, it's more ok if she's undoubtedly hot? tongue.gif rofl3.gif

Spacey spent months working out in order to impress-then-bang his daughter's friend. Much creepier...sorry.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 5 2008, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 5 2008, 04:04 PM)

Oh, it's more ok if she's undoubtedly hot? tongue.gif rofl3.gif

Spacey spent months working out in order to impress-then-bang his daughter's friend. Much creepier...sorry.

To quote Matthew McCaugnehy (Incorrect spelling) in Dazed in Confused:

(not verbatim) "I keep getting older and the girls stay the same age."

My wife and I just watched Juno last night and loved it. What a great movie! Ellen Page gave a fantastic performance, as well as all the others. A++ flick.

I'm not just saying that to be a bitch or anything. I really didn't like this movie and I don't understand how so many people liked it.

I didn't think it was funny. I laughed maybe 2 or 3 times. I thought it was completely unrealisitic(but hey, it's a movie, right?). I disliked the main character. I thought she was a little bitch. but my main problem was the fact that little girls are loving it and probably thinking getting knocked up is a piece of cake and will be like this. I didn't see the big deal when I heard people complaining about it but after I saw it I have to agree about it kind of glorifying teen prgnancy.

I'm not a prude, and I do have a great sense of humor. I just didn't care for this one, at all.

we'll just have to agree to disagree lol

Edited by liddybuck01

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Aug 2 2008, 05:41 PM)
I'm not just saying that to be a bitch or anything. I really didn't like this movie and I don't understand how so many people liked it.

I didn't think it was funny. I laughed maybe 2 or 3 times. I thought it was completely unrealisitic(but hey, it's a movie, right?). I disliked the main character. I thought she was a little bitch. but my main problem was the fact that little girls are loving it and probably thinking getting knocked up is a piece of cake and will be like this. I didn't see the big deal when I heard people complaining about it but after I saw it I have to agree about it kind of glorifying teen prgnancy.

I'm not a prude, and I do have a great sense of humor. I just didn't care for this one, at all.

we'll just have to agree to disagree lol

wow. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2009, 09:25 PM)
bumper.gif

I just saw this movie for the upteenth time. Man, this movie gets better every time I watch it - definitely one of my all time faves. yes.gif wub.gif

I loved it too! biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Aug 2 2008, 08:43 PM)
like I said, we have to agree to disagree on this.

I know a few people who didn't like this movie either, for pretty much the same reason I had.. so at least I'm not alone on this lol

No you're not. I'm right there with you.

Great movie!

It has that Freaks and Geeks vibe to it. The characters really grow on you and you can FEEL what they are going through. I can see why some people might not like the premise about the teen pregnancy, but such is part of life. Reality is a bitch. And i think its good to put a light hearted spin on it. It doesnt have to be a life death sentence.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 30 2008, 02:41 PM)
My review (with spoilers ahead):

For one thing, I need to stop seeing movies that are very hyped up because I don't end up enjoying them as much. Juno was good, but it wasn't the greatness I expected.

Couple things:

Also, seeing as sarcastic and witty Juno is, I really can't see how she would be fooled by the perfect-on-the-outside family that Vanessa and Mark were. I could see Juno's character in real life thinking people in that sort of environment as one's she would never want to associate herself with. And I get that she wanted to substitute her own imperfect life with their seeimingly perfect life, but something didn't tie up there.

So overal it was good, 3/5 stars for me. Again, perhaps if I had seen it before hearing HOW GREATTTT it was, I would go in with a clearer mind. Oh well. I will say, GREAT acting on all parts.

I stick with me previous review. Haven't had a desire to see it since; it was just OK.