I QUIT!

sullysue

Good Luck to all of you I quit for 7 month's with the patch I was surprised how well it worked But I went back to the damn things wacko.gif I did try the patch again but knowing how well it worked I kept it on during the day & then in the evening I took it off sad.gif How silly I know but I will quit again some day .

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons to quit smoking:

1> Food will taste better.

2> Air will smell fresher.

3> You'll save a pile of ca$h.

4> You'll likely live longer.

5> Do it for your kids.

Good luck Quiters!!

Well, I've found yet another thing I suck at. angry.gif

Technically, I did quit... about five times in the past three weeks. I don't tolerate the Chantix very well. It screws with my blood pressure or something, but I've come close to passing out cold a few times. Anyway, I'll keep trying. I'm not back to smoking like I did before. I just keep sneaking one here and there. And, that's not quitting. That's cheating. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 25 2008, 12:37 AM)

Technically, I did quit... about five times in the past three weeks. I don't tolerate the Chantix very well. It screws with my blood pressure or something, but I've come close to passing out cold a few times. Anyway, I'll keep trying. I'm not back to smoking like I did before. I just keep sneaking one here and there. And, that's not quitting. That's cheating. sad.gif

The Chantix didn't help you like you expected. Sounds like it complicated things. That threw you off, so it's easy to understand a bit of a relapse. It's good that you didn't go back to full-blown smoking. That means you're still serious about quitting. Now you just need to find something else to help you kick the habit! Keep going! wink.gif

cool10.gif So, you're getting a lot of practice at quitting. tongue.gif

Well, I've found yet another thing I suck at.  angry.gif

Technically, I did quit... about five times in the past three weeks. I don't tolerate the Chantix very well. It screws with my blood pressure or something, but I've come close to passing out cold a few times. Anyway, I'll keep trying. I'm not back to smoking like I did before. I just keep sneaking one here and there. And, that's not quitting. That's cheating.  sad.gif

Hey, you WILL do it!

I haven't tried the Chantix yet but I know the patch drove me almost to insanity. Don't have much will power, so I couldn't take it off at night or I would've been smoking first thing in the morning. Didn't quite sleep for 2 months. Well, I did, but the vivid dreams left me more tired than a full day of yard work. Also doesn't help that everyone around me smokes.

My husband did the patch , too, but after about 6 weeks it started to burn his skin, he had these square, red, blistery marks everywhere. He can't do Chantix because of his heart condition and with him it's different anyways. He has the will power not to smoke, we just don't wanna be around him for it. Ever see the Exorcist? Like that, but worse.

We'll find something, hopefully soon. Because I am NOT having any more kids!

That was my cold turkey way of quitting. Last time I quit for almost 4 years, but then it was either choke my teenagers or pick up a cigarette.

Anyways, all the best luck to you!

You don't suck smile.gif you rock! 1022.gif

I was a pack a day smoker for 13 years, from 15-28. I quit when my daughter was 1 year old, that was 13 years ago. She was the biggest reason I quit.

One thing I found to help is that I also gave up coffee for about 6-8 months. My morning coffee with a smoke was how I started everyday so I changed that habit and it made it a little easier. It really comes down to will power, you have to want to quit. Retraining yourself to change a few habits that revolve around smoking is helpful.

I am not trying to make this sound like a cure all or an easy way to

quit, just sharing some things that worked for me.

It's a F***ing BITCH to stay stopped, but it is worth it in the long run.

Keep up the good work all of you that are trying to quit!!

You can do it.

OK, if no-one minds, I'm resurrecting this thread because as of 23.59 last night, I have smoked my last cigarette.

I'm wearing the patch, on the basis that my last quit attempt was using the gum, but the problem was I found it reinforced the need for gratifiction - I had a craving, I acted. For the same reason, I decided against the inhalator, because it seems to me that reinforces the habit - Feel the need, take a drag.

The idea with the patch is it's there, and if I feel the urge, I have to deal with that, knowing that the patch is delivering nicotine, and it's down to me to handle everything else.

Sullysue, Owlswing, Mrs Huck et al, I hope things are going well with you.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 4 2008, 07:11 AM)
OK, if no-one minds, I'm resurrecting this thread because as of 23.59 last night, I have smoked my last cigarette.

I'm wearing the patch, on the basis that my last quit attempt was using the gum, but the problem was I found it reinforced the need for gratifiction - I had a craving, I acted. For the same reason, I decided against the inhalator, because it seems to me that reinforces the habit - Feel the need, take a drag.

The idea with the patch is it's there, and if I feel the urge, I have to deal with that, knowing that the patch is delivering nicotine, and it's down to me to handle everything else.

applaudit.gif

Way to go Madra. Good luck with this very smart endeavor. I wish you well. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2008, 07:22 AM)

I'm wearing the patch, on the basis that  my last quit attempt was using the gum, but the problem was I found it reinforced the need for gratifiction - I had a craving, I acted. For the same reason, I decided against the inhalator, because it seems to me that reinforces the habit - Feel the need, take a drag.

applaudit.gif

Way to go Madra. Good luck with this very smart endeavor. I wish you well. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Me too!

We'll be your support group. hug2.gif

It's one of the hardest things to do. You have to be or have been a smoker to know the difficulty in quitting.

I've been trying to get my parents to quit for a few years, and they just can't seem to stay quit. So it'll be interesting to read how you guys are staying quit. Best of luck!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Aug 4 2008, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2008, 07:22 AM)

I'm wearing the patch, on the basis that  my last quit attempt was using the gum, but the problem was I found it reinforced the need for gratifiction - I had a craving, I acted. For the same reason, I decided against the inhalator, because it seems to me that reinforces the habit - Feel the need, take a drag.

applaudit.gif

Me too!

We'll be your support group. hug2.gif

Yes, we're all here for you. Good luck to you.

yes.gif

I'm going to quit smoking today. Its not that good and its just slowly killing me. Plus it makes me stink. I usually smoke at least 8 cigarettes a day but the past 2 days I've got it down to 3.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 12 2008, 08:13 AM)
Day 9 and hanging in there. A bit better this week than last week, but nowhere near out of the woods yet. The patches are taking the edge off, but the biggest battle is with my own mind.

So far, I'm winning!!

I've been told that it's a good idea to have some hard candy around. It will keep you from going on eating binges. A lot of people that successfully quit smoking end up putting on a lot of weight. Replacing one bad habit with another.

Good luck.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 12 2008, 09:13 AM)
Day 9 and hanging in there. A bit better this week than last week, but nowhere near out of the woods yet. The patches are taking the edge off, but the biggest battle is with my own mind.

So far, I'm winning!!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Good for you D! Keep it up, you can beat this!

bumper.gif

Alright I pulled this up to read a realized that this has been one long road.

I wish I could say it has been more sucessful and hasn't taken me more than a year to finally stop smoking. I am on day 6, which I would have thought would be easier than day 1 - WOW am I wrong! It really is a mind/habit thing.

It's a slow day at work, I'm the only one here and all I have thought of for the past 15 mins. is stepping outside. dazed025.gif

This is going to be a long road... sad.gif

I was wondering how the others that posted here have done? unsure.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 25 2009, 10:53 AM)
bumper.gif

I wish I could say it has been more sucessful and hasn't taken me more than a year to finally stop smoking. I am on day 6, which I would have thought would be easier than day 1 - WOW am I wrong! It really is a mind/habit thing.

It's a slow day at work, I'm the only one here and all I have thought of for the past 15 mins. is stepping outside. dazed025.gif

I've done miserably! sad.gif

A lot of stressful stuff going on. If I tried to quit now, I would probably go on a killing spree. It is a goal of mine to quit, though.

Hang in there, D. You can do it! hug2.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 25 2009, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 25 2009, 10:53 AM)
bumper.gif

I've done miserably! sad.gif

A lot of stressful stuff going on. If I tried to quit now, I would probably go on a killing spree. It is a goal of mine to quit, though.

Hang in there, D. You can do it! hug2.gif

hug2.gif Thanks I needed that!

hug2.gif When you started this thread I had already been trying to get on this road for about 4-5 months. While during that time I wouldn't go on a killing sprees, it was more bitchy sprees and I'd give up. (yes Pags it's in writing) Hang in there! I think we all get to that time to quit when it's right. hug2.gif Heck I also think there is some force that really likes to tests us the whole darn time too! laugh.gif

I quit cold turkey 20 years ago. I smoked for 12 years, and never thought I would be able to quit. I took it one day at a time. Everyday was a small victory. I fed off the the feeling of being diligent, and not taking no for an answer.

It took me over 2 years to lose the craving for a smoke, but one day it all passed, I never thought about it anymore.

Every day brings you a day closer to freedom ! 1022.gif