I QUIT!

sullysue

OK. I'm a few days late on this, but I said I was going to start a support thread for those who want to quit smoking. So, here we go. But, this is for whatever you're trying to give up. If you're trying to quit drinking, over-eating, procrastinating ( unsure.gif ), I think having a good, strong source of support is the way to go. And, I can't think of a better place online than TRF.

I had my last cigarette at five 'til midnight on December 31. I started on Chantix that evening to help me, and it's really working. Aside from the bizarre dreams, I'm not experiencing any big side effects and I honestly do not want a cigarette badly enough to cave in. When I feel the urge, I just take a few deep breaths, and the craving goes away.

My big fear is that when I start back to school next Tuesday, I'll go nuts! Everyone there smokes. So, ya'll might find me frantically posting for help every once in a while. scared.gif So far, so good, though. smile.gif

Anyway, I'm here for you guys. I know you're there for me.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

GhostGirl, sullysue

You can do this. yes.gif

hug2.gif

<goes to find support thread for people who need to quit SUGAR>

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I start my next round of Chantix as soon as the Dr. calls me back.

I too only have the strange dreams.

I think the stores around here are sold out of life saver candies, I have them stored every where.

SS - are you using the web help with the Chantix?

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 3 2008, 04:38 PM)
applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I think the stores around here are sold out of life saver candies, I have them stored every where.

WTF is Chantix?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 3 2008, 09:35 AM)
GhostGirl, sullysue

You can do this. yes.gif

hug2.gif

Thanks, Belle. smile.gif

You can fight your sugar cravings here. yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 3 2008, 09:35 AM)
GhostGirl, sullysue

You can do this. yes.gif

hug2.gif

Thanks, Belle. smile.gif

You can fight your sugar cravings here. yes.gif

No...this is your quit the cancer stix thread. Keep it for that.

Keep us posted, okay? I'm proud of you, and owlswing too!

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 3 2008, 09:39 AM)
applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif

WTF is Chantix?

It's a prescription med that blocks the nicotine from your brain or something like that. But, it does work. And, you're doing good if you have a cig in the evening. Starting out slowly is OK. smile.gif

I'd like to quit comparing myself to others. At my age, I feel a lot of pressure to be in a different place in life but I'm not and I wish I was. So I see others around me who seem to be moving forward with their life but I'm somewhat stalled for now. But I really should be happy with what I have because I am fortunate. Grad school takes a longer while working full time, but I'm putting myself through it 100% even if I do live home and am still unmarried, unlike seemingly every other friend I have. I hope to come out ahead and truly happy in the end.

Surely, this will plan will fail yes.gif lol

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 3 2008, 10:42 AM)

No...this is your quit the cancer stix thread. Keep it for that.

Keep us posted, okay?

oops, sorry GG... delete my post then I guess.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 10:42 AM)

WTF is Chantix?

It's a prescription med that blocks the nicotine from your brain or something like that. But, it does work. And, you're doing good if you have a cig in the evening. Starting out slowly is OK. smile.gif

My mom also suggested to save any cig. I do smoke in a jar of water. She did that and seeing it made her sick and it helped!

Hey, owlswing. Those weird dreams are fun, arent' they? laugh.gif

The first night I was on the med I dreamed that Frank Zappa walked me home from school. The weirdest part was that I was 40-years-old and in high school. wacko.gif

The next night my dream was that my son was a year old again and I was playing with him on the couch when the 10-year-old Patrick walked in the door and asked, "Who is that?" Weird stuff! wacko.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 3 2008, 04:45 PM)

WTF is Chantix?

My mom also suggested to save any cig. I do smoke in a jar of water. She did that and seeing it made her sick and it helped!

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 3 2008, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 3 2008, 10:42 AM)

No...this is your quit the cancer stix thread.  Keep it for that.

Keep us posted, okay?

oops, sorry GG... delete my post then I guess.

No worries. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 3 2008, 09:53 AM)

WTF is Chantix?

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

I think she means drop any cigarette buts you have into a jar of water. That would be pretty gross. And stinky, too.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 04:42 PM)

WTF is Chantix?

*edit- I tried Zyban and I'm allergic to it sad.gif

I quit once for 3 years.

But it was easy then. I had gotten pregnant.

I'm not getting pregnant to stop again! laugh.gif

And since then I've tried to quit like 50+ times wacko.gif

So yeah, I'm taking a different approach this time.

If I can make it through the day then that's good.

And you know how smokes taste like shite when you've not smoked in awhile. My theory is that It'll taste like shite enough that I'll not want one after a time. If not, at least it's only one at night confused13.gif

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 04:55 PM)

WTF is Chantix?

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

I think she means drop any cigarette buts you have into a jar of water. That would be pretty gross. And stinky, too.

Oh yeah!! rofl3.gif

Now that I reread it, it makes sense!

I was envisioning her mother sticking her head in a jar of water fing.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 3 2008, 09:59 AM)

WTF is Chantix?

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

Oh yeah!! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

I did too at first. laugh.gif But, I don't know. A near-drowning would make me quit. confused13.gif

I quit every time I was pregnant, but I couldn't wait to get back to smoking. That seems really pathetic to me now, but it wasn't that important to me to quit. Now that my kids are older and aware of what cigarettes can do to a person (damned those drug awareness programs in our public schools angry.gif ), they've been begging me to stop killing myself. Geeze, that'll put a damper on things, I'll tell ya'.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 05:05 PM)

WTF is Chantix?

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

Oh yeah!! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

I did too at first. laugh.gif But, I don't know. A near-drowning would make me quit. confused13.gif

I quit every time I was pregnant, but I couldn't wait to get back to smoking. That seems really pathetic to me now, but it wasn't that important to me to quit. Now that my kids are older and aware of what cigarettes can do to a person (damned those drug awareness programs in our public schools angry.gif ), they've been begging me to stop killing myself. Geeze, that'll put a damper on things, I'll tell ya'.

Oh I know!

Barb Tarbox came to my kids school and Max cried and posted up photos of her. Huge guilt man sad.gif

I tried so hard too. But apparently not hard enough sad.gif

http://www.geocities.com/whyteenssmoke/tarbox.jpg

She smoked to the very end, and Max kind of understood then how hard it was to quit.

As of December 24, 2007 I have been smoke free (4 years total).

I still get an urge every once in awhile, but the urges pass and don't last long at all. Knowing that I have quit for as long as I have keeps me from lighting up again.

I remember when I did quit at first, it seemed that everybody was smoking.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 3 2008, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 3 2008, 05:05 PM)

WTF is Chantix?

Smoke in a jar of water?

How in the heck???

Oh yeah!! rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

Oh I know!

Barb Tarbox came to my kids school and Max cried and posted up photos of her. Huge guilt man sad.gif

I tried so hard too. But apparently not hard enough sad.gif

http://www.geocities.com/whyteenssmoke/tarbox.jpg

She smoked to the very end, and Max kind of understood then how hard it was to quit.

oops, sorry ladies yes she would put her cigs. in the jar of water not her head. laugh.gif

The hardest thing I had to do was explain to my kids how hard it was to quit something.

I'm sort of glad I had to talk to them though, I'm hoping it helps them not pick up the habit. Seeing mom struggle and all.

I am trying to teach my self crochet to keep my hands busy, but damm all I can seem to make is this little square to small for a barbie doll blanket.

Tough love.

http://www.csmngt.com/smokers%20lung.jpg

Lung w/ cigarette damage (exactly, it shouldnt be black)

YOU GO! You can do it. You can stop. One day at a time.

My dad stopped after 35 years. Its tough, but anyone can stop.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're here for you.

Edited by lerxt1990

Sue, if you dont mind. This is my testimony for quiting smoking...

It will be 20 years this year that i stopped smoking. I smoked for 12 years(a pack a day) and i thought i would never quit but what finally did it for me was the strong desire to be a better vocalist. I quit in July of 1988, right after the 4th of July weekend. For me it was torture, and back then cold turkey was one of the only ways to go.

My Father kept asking me every few days, "are you still not smoking ?" When i would tell him yes he smiled in approval.

About a month later, on August 12th, i had a near fatal car accident which left me with a broken arm, and a disslocated Shoulder. The driver was in critical condition with a crushed pelvis and internal bleeding. I was 2 hours from home in a hospital and very misserable. I wanted a cigarette badly, and had a pretty good excuse to have one but i did not give in.

The next day my father, who had been in remission for an illness for 8 years drove to Massachusetts to bring me home. Well, having a strained relationship with my dad most of my life, this mean't alot to me.

Apparently he was feeling quite ill on this day but made the trip anyhow. The following day, my dad was coughing up lots of blood and was rushed to the hospital. There was nothing they could do as he had lost too much blood. He passed away the day after my accident.

I was in a state of shock as this was all too much to process in such a short span of time. Again i wanted to light up and say f**k it, at this point who cares about quiting. I did not light up, in fact everyday from that point on it was about never smoking again as a tribute to my father cause he was so proud that i quit.

Its been 20 years this year and this August im sure i will think about my dad, and the help he gave me quiting smoking.