I QUIT!

sullysue

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 25 2009, 01:25 PM)
I quit cold turkey 20 years ago. I smoked for 12 years, and never thought I would be able to quit. I took it one day at a time. Everyday was a small victory. I fed off the the feeling of being diligent, and not taking no for an answer.
It took me over 2 years to lose the craving for a smoke, but one day it all passed, I never thought about it anymore.
Every day brings you a day closer to freedom ! 1022.gif

I would have to quit cold-turkey. I tried Chantix, but that stuff sucked large! Psychedelic dreams and near-fainting spells. So, the old-fashioned way would be the only way.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 25 2009, 01:37 PM)
I quit cold turkey 20 years ago. I smoked for 12 years, and never thought I would be able to quit. I took it one day at a time. Everyday was a small victory. I fed off the the feeling of being diligent, and not taking no for an answer.
It took me over 2 years to lose the craving for a smoke, but one day it all passed, I never thought about it anymore.

I would have to quit cold-turkey. I tried Chantix, but that stuff sucked large! Psychedelic dreams and near-fainting spells. So, the old-fashioned way would be the only way.

Someone, I can't remember who, Sr. moment wink.gif , once told me that Turkey actually helps when you are trying to quit cold turkey.

I had quit once before cold turkey - it was okay- but I had a co-worker who held my cigs and she was good at not letting me have one. Oh yeah the major mouth surgery helped that time too. tongue.gif

The Nicorette Gum in the Fruit flavor isn't that bad. I used it but knew I needed more.

I'm on the Chantix - so far blood pressure is good - although had a slight scare at the Drs the other day. Damm nurse could take it right took 3 trys - that alone was enough to raise it. wink.gif

See it is a journey that you need to take minute by minute and everyone has a different way of getting there.

Today I'm just having more of those minutes to get over than the past few days. sad.gif

Talking about it has helped - rose.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 25 2009, 01:52 PM)

Someone, I can't remember who, Sr. moment wink.gif , once told me that Turkey actually helps when you are trying to quit cold turkey.

I had quit once before cold turkey - it was okay- but I had a co-worker who held my cigs and she was good at not letting me have one. Oh yeah the major mouth surgery helped that time too. tongue.gif

The Nicorette Gum in the Fruit flavor isn't that bad. I used it but knew I needed more.

I'm on the Chantix - so far blood pressure is good - although had a slight scare at the Drs the other day. Damm nurse could take it right took 3 trys - that alone was enough to raise it. wink.gif

See it is a journey that you need to take minute by minute and everyone has a different way of getting there.

Today I'm just having more of those minutes to get over than the past few days. sad.gif

hug2.gif

Deep breaths. Take lots of deep breaths.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 25 2009, 02:01 PM)

hug2.gif

Indeed ! Take a deep breath and let the moment pass. Quiting smoking is all about will power in your weakest moments. You have periods throughout the day, that are harder then others. I always got through by thinking about the tremendous reward if I suceeded. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Visualizing a time where smoking never entered my thoughts made me determined. I also had tried 3 other times and failed. I actually lasted a year once, and still went back.

When I finally made the decission to quit for good, was when I said to myself. How many times do I want to torture myself just to wind up back at square one ? I couldn't ride that roller coaster anymore. It became harded to even want to quit.

So I said, this time I will do it, or f**k it ! I'm just going to smoke till I die. Its at that point I refused to give in, even after a near fatal car accident a month in, that left me with a broken arm, followed by the death of my father two days after that. I had the ultimate excuse to light up and no one would have blamed me. Instead, I used the fact my father was so proud of me quiting, to motivate me. If I gave up and gave it, it was letting my father down. I would not !

Deside you have had enough of that rotten habit and beat its ass ! Don't let it laugh at you everytime you light up !

YOU CAN DO IT, BOTH OF YOU !!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 25 2009, 02:17 PM)

When I finally made the decission to quit for good, was when I said to myself. How many times do I want to torture myself just to wind up back at square one ? I couldn't ride that roller coaster anymore. It became harded to even want to quit.
So I said, this time I will do it, or f**k it ! I'm just going to smoke till I die.

ohmy.gif That is the point I was at! I knew it was time to just quit or give up trying to quit.

Thanks Tick for what it was like for you. your right you had some major reason to just give up and give in. Glad you didn't I'm sure you Dad is still proud of you to this day for this and much much more! wub.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 25 2009, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 25 2009, 02:01 PM)

hug2.gif

Indeed ! Take a deep breath and let the moment pass. Quiting smoking is all about will power in your weakest moments. You have periods throughout the day, that are harder then others. I always got through by thinking about the tremendous reward if I suceeded. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Visualizing a time where smoking never entered my thoughts made me determined. I also had tried 3 other times and failed. I actually lasted a year once, and still went back.

So I said, this time I will do it, or f**k it ! I'm just going to smoke till I die. Its at that point I refused to give in, even after a near fatal car accident a month in, that left me with a broken arm, followed by the death of my father two days after that. I had the ultimate excuse to light up and no one would have blamed me. Instead, I used the fact my father was so proud of me quiting, to motivate me. If I gave up and gave it, it was letting my father down. I would not !

Deside you have had enough of that rotten habit and beat its ass ! Don't let it laugh at you everytime you light up !

YOU CAN DO IT, BOTH OF YOU !!!! 1022.gif

The funny thing is, I can go all day at work without even having the urge. The second I get on the highway to get home, I want a cigarette. You'd think if I can make it nine hours without needing one, I could quit all together. I think that right now, I need the crutch. But, I'll get there. I remember you telling us about your dad, tick. What a wonderful way to honor his memory. I'd like to quit to honor my kids and all of the other people who care about me.

Meantime, owlswing... seriously. Those deep breaths do work.

I just read the whole thread. Good one starting it sullysue, some nice posting in here. I gave up smoking for lent. But seriously, my girlfriend and I have been on this chantix for the last week. I had cut it down to one every 2-3 hours for a few days, then went to 5 cigs yesterday, to two today. When I'm relatively stress free or not doing an action that would trigger the desire to smoke, it seems almost easy. The triggers, the habits, the evil mind.. as a few have mentioned. Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh

Today was the first morning in over 10 years that I didn't greet it with a smoke. I've smoked over 20 years now, with a couple short down times. Today wasn't too bad, until close to lunch when I felt stress piling on and I had one at 11:30. I had a second just before 7 tonight, right before my PM chantix. I was a 15-20 a day smoker. Tomorrow I hope to get it to one or none. My baby is doing good, just behind me. We agreed when we see each other Saturday we'll definitely both be at zero and going forward.

The chantix is helping, I can tell. It makes it easier. I haven't noticed my dreams getting weirder. In fact I think they are getting less weird, thank goodness. Yesterday while watching the Flyers come back and kick 'ol Red's ass, I wasn't smoking and I started feeling like I was losing a part of me. The mind can be a terrible thing to.. well, just a terrible thing. It conspires against me. I have to keep that in, uh.. mind. Cruising the web at home- posting in TRF- things that were always accompanied with a ciggie. So typing in this thread makes me want to smoke laugh.gif But I want to quit. Or as sullysue put it- I QUIT! I will think of the money I'll save, the more wind in my lungs, increasing my chances of being alive so I can retire and me and my honey can get us an RV and a couple of bikes and see America. Best of Luck everyone! We Can Do It trink38.gif

Okay, so maybe the really weird dreams are starting now, it just took a bit to get the drug going. My mom's sister, a sister she doesn't have in real life, had died and I'm with her and family at the viewing. The body is behind like plexiglass. A little bit later I notice the body's eyes open, which made me go hmm. Then next thing you know she's coming back to life, and I remember taking a picture of her and when i look at the photo in the camera's view finder her eyes are glowing and umm.. yeah. But it wasn't frightening or anything. It's like I'm an observer to the madness.

I only had one ciggie yesterday. Made it 24 hours without, but I still had an unopened pack leftover from the carton. How am I suppose to quit with smokes in the house. Gave them away to a co-worker this morning, so that's done. Now I need to eat something and take my chantix. I'm on drugs. We're all on drugs. icon_alienjig.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 27 2009, 08:58 AM)
Okay, so maybe the really weird dreams are starting now, it just took a bit to get the drug going. My mom's sister, a sister she doesn't have in real life, had died and I'm with her and family at the viewing. The body is behind like plexiglass. A little bit later I notice the body's eyes open, which made me go hmm. Then next thing you know she's coming back to life, and I remember taking a picture of her and when i look at the photo in the camera's view finder her eyes are glowing and umm.. yeah. But it wasn't frightening or anything. It's like I'm an observer to the madness.

I only had one ciggie yesterday. Made it 24 hours without, but I still had an unopened pack leftover from the carton. How am I suppose to quit with smokes in the house. Gave them away to a co-worker this morning, so that's done. Now I need to eat something and take my chantix. I'm on drugs. We're all on drugs. icon_alienjig.gif trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

The Chantix dreams. Yikes! scared.gif Some of mine were REALLY good. Others, not so much. Either way, they got more and more bizarre and vivid.

Congratulations on your progress, Lerxster! You're doing so well. Keep it up. hug2.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 27 2009, 09:34 AM)

I only had one ciggie yesterday. Made it 24 hours without, but I still had an unopened pack leftover from the carton. How am I suppose to quit with smokes in the house. Gave them away to a co-worker this morning, so that's done. Now I need to eat something and take my chantix. I'm on drugs. We're all on drugs.  icon_alienjig.gif trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

The Chantix dreams. Yikes! scared.gif Some of mine were REALLY good. Others, not so much. Either way, they got more and more bizarre and vivid.

Congratulations on your progress, Lerxster! You're doing so well. Keep it up. hug2.gif

rofl3.gif

The Chantix dreams!

I'm on week # 4 of the chantix and the dreams are... are... are...WOW how do you explain them. laugh.gif

You and your girlfriend aren't to far behind me with the Chantix. Are you using the on-line site? I just signed up last week - nice to watch the $ you save add up.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 27 2009, 10:45 AM)

I only had one ciggie yesterday. Made it 24 hours without, but I still had an unopened pack leftover from the carton. How am I suppose to quit with smokes in the house. Gave them away to a co-worker this morning, so that's done. Now I need to eat something and take my chantix. I'm on drugs. We're all on drugs.  icon_alienjig.gif trink39.gif

rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif

The Chantix dreams!

I'm on week # 4 of the chantix and the dreams are... are... are...WOW how do you explain them. laugh.gif

You and your girlfriend aren't to far behind me with the Chantix. Are you using the on-line site? I just signed up last week - nice to watch the $ you save add up.

laugh.gif Some of those dreams I knew were best kept to myself, if you know what I mean. wink.gif

I never did go online to help quitting. The next time, I will. I remember with the medicine that when I did smoke (and you are supposed to smoke when you start on it), it tasted even more like crap than usual. It does something in the brain to change the physical/chemical reaction that you've gotten used to when you smoke. It's good stuff. I just couldn't handle the side effects.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 27 2009, 10:34 AM)

rofl3.gif

They'll get more bizzare and vivid than the dead springing to life? Uh oh scared.gif Oh well, it's wasn't abnormal for me to have bizzare crazy dreams before this, so..

Was a rough morning, but with my girlfriends good news and her meeting me for and bringing us lunch, I feel great. smile.gif And thank you sullysue hug2.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 27 2009, 11:45 AM)

rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif

The Chantix dreams!

I'm on the first week of 1 mg twice a day tabs. I guess I'm going to have some fun nights in the weeks ahead. She signed up on-line, but I haven't yet but intend to. It's good that we're quitting together, got that built in support. Yes the savings, I've already started spending it on other things tongue.gif Best of Luck to you! smile.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Feb 27 2009, 12:18 PM)
Congratulations on your decision and Good luck quitting.

Let me know if this helps.

http://www.enexus.com/gumdisease/graphics/Gums4.jpg

Thanks! Now I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight- big giant green choppers chasing me!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 27 2009, 01:11 PM)

rofl3.gif

They'll get more bizzare and vivid than the dead springing to life? Uh oh scared.gif Oh well, it's wasn't abnormal for me to have bizzare crazy dreams before this, so..

Was a rough morning, but with my girlfriends good news and her meeting me for and bringing us lunch, I feel great. smile.gif And thank you sullysue hug2.gif

Honey, if all that springs to life is the dead in your dreams, then your doing pretty good. tongue.gif

But, yeah. Just a fair warning. My dreams did get more intense. Nothing that would scar me for life or anything like that. That Chantix - it's a mind-bender, that's all. And, it DOES work.

Great thread everyone!

I have been a smoker for 30 years now. Like most smokers I have quit a few times. The last time was a few years ago and I did better than ever! I was convinced I finally had it licked! I made it a year smoke free. Then I went to a party, had a few drinks, etc... Everyone was smoking. Even people I knew were not smokers. I had a weak moment and said" oh, just one". Yeah, right! You just can't do that! The next day i had "just one" again. The next day two and so on. I was screwed!

Anyway, I have been having smoke some related health issues recently and have been thinking I really need to quit this crap for good. This thread has really fueled the fire for me. I only have 2 packs left from a carton so.... I want to quit!!! Help!!! scared.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 28 2009, 01:38 AM)
Great thread everyone!

I have been a smoker for 30 years now. Like most smokers I have quit a few times. The last time was a few years ago and I did better than ever! I was convinced I finally had it licked! I made it a year smoke free. Then I went to a party, had a few drinks, etc... Everyone was smoking. Even people I knew were not smokers. I had a weak moment and said" oh, just one". Yeah, right! You just can't do that! The next day i had "just one" again. The next day two and so on. I was screwed!

Anyway, I have been having smoke some related health issues recently and have been thinking I really need to quit this crap for good. This thread has really fueled the fire for me. I only have 2 packs left from a carton so.... I want to quit!!!  Help!!!  scared.gif

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of- just one will send me back. It's awesome that Mrs. Huck can smoke one a day. If I knew I could do that, I would be okay with that and myself. But I don't know that I can, so i don't dare try. Chantix seems to work for the many, so try that. Go for it - You can do it again!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 27 2009, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 27 2009, 01:11 PM)

rofl3.gif

Honey, if all that springs to life is the dead in your dreams, then your doing pretty good. tongue.gif

But, yeah. Just a fair warning. My dreams did get more intense. Nothing that would scar me for life or anything like that. That Chantix - it's a mind-bender, that's all. And, it DOES work.

laugh.gif

Last night the worst I remember seeing was a couple dogs in this neighborhood wearing feathers instead of fur. unsure.gif I'll be sure to wear my night guard every night and be ready for the bending trink39.gif

Forgot to mention, that dream the night before ended with me reclining down to go to sleep, feeling very warm and with dry lips. As I fell to sleep, I awoke from the dream to feeling very warm and with dry lips. It's pretty funky to go to sleep in a dream and wake up from it.

Chantix, I can't sleep. Woke up at 3:30 am last night and didn't really get back to sleep for 2 hours. Took it at 7 or so tonight, too late. Was funny, we locked ourselves out of the house while grilling doh.gif Had to break in through a back window- luckily the screen was half way down instead of the storm window being down. Was our only hope besides breaking a door. Cut through, busted a pane with a hammer from the shed, unlocked the window and climbed through with the use of an aluminum ladder conveniently placed near the window by me last year. Hope the neighbor enjoyed the show laugh.gif Anyway, felt like a smoke after that ordeal- it was getting cold and night was falling, the stress of needing to make it back in (toaster oven was baking potato sides) with the least amount of damage. Did have a few puffs from a cigaro though, hope that isn't cheating. I didn't inhale. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rhyv @ Mar 2 2009, 08:53 PM)
Sullysue and Owlswing:

I do wish things work for you about quit smoking .

Take care hug2.gif rose.gif rose.gif hug2.gif

hug2.gif

Thanks! Day 14 and counting...

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 5 2009, 09:11 PM)
Sullysue and Owlswing:

Take care hug2.gif  rose.gif rose.gif hug2.gif

hug2.gif

14 mean many hours without cigarretes. That's means a lot actually. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rhyv @ Mar 5 2009, 08:51 PM)
Sullysue and Owlswing:

hug2.gif

yes.gif you are right rhyv. It's awesome! trink39.gif

I'm now on day 8. I've wanted to smoke every day. Every time I visit this site. Right now. But I resist. I've lowered my own dosage of chantix to one 1mg a day. It's wasn't the dreams as much as the interrupted sleep. I need 7-8 solid hours in the sack or I'm a zombie, as Kramer once said. I take it after lunch, and that's that. The thought of taking these pills for 3 months is horrible for me and I'm sure I'll be off way before then. They don't make me not want to smoke, they just inhibit the pleasure. So, it's all about my will and weakness. I hold on. I watered the plants and I could for the first time, smell the wet soil in the air. I don't recall the last time I could smell that. It's pretty cool cool.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 6 2009, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Mar 5 2009, 08:51 PM)
Sullysue and Owlswing:

hug2.gif

yes.gif you are right rhyv. It's awesome! trink39.gif

I'm now on day 8. I've wanted to smoke every day. Every time I visit this site. Right now. But I resist. I've lowered my own dosage of chantix to one 1mg a day. It's wasn't the dreams as much as the interrupted sleep. I need 7-8 solid hours in the sack or I'm a zombie, as Kramer once said. I take it after lunch, and that's that. The thought of taking these pills for 3 months is horrible for me and I'm sure I'll be off way before then. They don't make me not want to smoke, they just inhibit the pleasure. So, it's all about my will and weakness. I hold on. I watered the plants and I could for the first time, smell the wet soil in the air. I don't recall the last time I could smell that. It's pretty cool cool.gif

Yeah it is amazing the smells that you miss - Some are a little overbearing - but it'll pass - I hope. unsure.gif

I have just finished up week #5 on the Chantix and the wacky dreams have stopped. I didn't notice an interuption with my sleep, but I'm a mom of 4 kids and any noise wakes me to begin with. wink.gif

I found with the Chantix in the begining it went from a need to a want and I then had to change the want.

Good Luck on your 8 days and counting... How is your girlfriend doing? That must be nice quitting together.